Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570441 times)

TAC and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5215 on: February 24, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
 :lol my friend and I both wore white tshirts to an iron maiden concert once just so we'd stand out against all the black shirts.  I'd have to find the picture, but the band shared one on social media from the stage... and you could clearly see the two idiots in white tshirts  :lol  Sometimes I honestly just find this stuff funny.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5216 on: February 24, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »
New Adrian Smith / Richie Kotzen song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTl8YNXLtE

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5217 on: February 28, 2021, 04:17:27 AM »
Finally getting around to spinning my copy of the LOTB live CD.  Bruce certainly is showing his age though.  Aces High is terrible and Eagles isn't much better, but he warms up and I really enjoyed the rest of cd 1.  Looking forward to disc 2.

I do find all 3 guitarists kind of go through the motions now with their solos.  They change them up too much now from the originals IMO and end up playing pretty much the same solo each song.  I do love what Adrian did with The Wicker Man though, that's all class.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5218 on: February 28, 2021, 09:43:26 AM »
Finally getting around to spinning my copy of the LOTB live CD.  Bruce certainly is showing his age though.  Aces High is terrible and Eagles isn't much better, but he warms up and I really enjoyed the rest of cd 1.  Looking forward to disc 2.

I do find all 3 guitarists kind of go through the motions now with their solos.  They change them up too much now from the originals IMO and end up playing pretty much the same solo each song.  I do love what Adrian did with The Wicker Man though, that's all class.

It must have been the event that made them use Mexico.   I have an HD boot of the show I saw, Hartford, and Bruce is NOTICEABLY better. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5219 on: February 28, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »

It must have been the event that made them use Mexico.   I have an HD boot of the show I saw, Hartford, and Bruce is NOTICEABLY better.

When he talks he actually sounds a bit sick to me.  Not sure if that's the case though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5220 on: March 12, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »
sorry to dredge up an old topic from this thread:

Gers has been in the band for over 30 years, it would make 0 sense not to include him. Is there any example of a band member for that many years and also currently in the band not being included?

When Chicago was inducted in 2016, Jason Scheff had been in the band 31 years, appearing on numerous releases and singing lead on major hits.  And he was not inducted.

Bill Champlin was in the band for 28 years.  Wrote songs for and sang lead on numerous releases, major hits, including their early/mid 80s resurrection on huge albums such as Chicago 16 and Chicago 17.  Basically gave the band new life after Kath died.  And he was not inducted.

Drummer Tris Imboden had been in the band 26 years at that point and was also not inducted.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5221 on: March 12, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »
It's basically random:  Steve Morse (one of the greatest guitar players of all time, any genre) was in Deep Purple for 22 years at the time of induction and pfff (but they let in Rod Evans).   Eric Carr (who by many accounts, including Gene and Paul when they're in the mood, saved Kiss) was in the band for 11 years and died tragically, and pffft.

To me it's a way of sending the not-so-subtle message that "you're here at our own good graces, don't rock the fucking boat".   I already think very highly of Bruce, but if he does go (which is not a given unless Steve lays down the law), and mentions Blaze (which he is wont to do), I may be forced to build a shrine in my house.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5222 on: March 12, 2021, 01:04:40 PM »
Eddie Trunk recently tweeted about how the hall should have included Blaze because they included Stratton.  It really makes little sense.  I get the arguments for and against, but a lot of times, I just don't see why they go for people instead of shun them.  I guess it's all about creating controversy and stories for the media.  It seems to have nothing to do with music.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5223 on: March 12, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

When he talks he actually sounds a bit sick to me.  Not sure if that's the case though.

Remember Mexico City is almost 7400 ft above sea level so breathing is harder.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5224 on: March 12, 2021, 03:14:49 PM »

It was also towards the very end of a very long tour. It actually reminds me of Live After Death in that regard. They waited until the very end of the tour to record that, and it showed in Bruce's voice. In any case, they chose Mexico City partly because it was three nights, and partly because there's an energy there that they don't get elsewhere. One is a necessity, and one is the smart move. I've seen Maiden in quite a few cities, and they really step it up in Mexico.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5225 on: March 12, 2021, 03:23:00 PM »

It was also towards the very end of a very long tour. It actually reminds me of Live After Death in that regard. They waited until the very end of the tour to record that, and it showed in Bruce's voice. In any case, they chose Mexico City partly because it was three nights, and partly because there's an energy there that they don't get elsewhere. One is a necessity, and one is the smart move. I've seen Maiden in quite a few cities, and they really step it up in Mexico.

I also wonder if they chose it because it was the best recording on the tour (maybe due to having three nights they could mix together).  I'm not entirely sure this release would have happened if it weren't for the pandemic which makes me think they didn't pick this date specifically to release.  Just a thought. 

Regardless, other than Aces High, I think Bruce sounds pretty good all things considered.  I haven't bought it, but listened a bunch on youtube and kind of feel since I do enjoy it, I should purchase it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5226 on: March 12, 2021, 03:50:08 PM »
Quite randomly, I listened to Maiden's version of Cross-Eyed Mary last night.  For the first 15 years that I owned POM, that song was part of the album for me because I had the picture disc.  Anyway, that's one of the best covers I can think of.  So well done.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5227 on: March 12, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »
Huh..Cross Eyed Mary might literally be my least favorite Iron Maiden B side, whereas I've Got The Fire, also from the POM Era is my favorite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5228 on: March 12, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »
Huh..Cross Eyed Mary might literally be my least favorite Iron Maiden B side, whereas I've Got The Fire, also from the POM Era is my favorite.

I've got the Fire is one of my favorite IM bsides (albeit being a cover), but I thought that was earlier than POM era because Dianno sung it first.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5229 on: March 12, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »

I've got the Fire is one of my favorite IM bsides (albeit being a cover), but I thought that was earlier than POM era because Dianno sung it first.

Yeah he did, but it's the Flight Of Icarus b side. I had the 45 and spun the hell out of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5230 on: March 12, 2021, 04:54:21 PM »

Yeah he did, but it's the Flight Of Icarus b side. I had the 45 and spun the hell out of it.

Fair enough, that was the Bruce recorded version? I think they only did it live with Paul? Either way, I love it with either singing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5231 on: March 12, 2021, 05:01:39 PM »
It's Steve Harris' birthday today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5232 on: March 12, 2021, 05:54:25 PM »
It's Steve Harris' birthday today.

He's 65! WOW!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5233 on: March 13, 2021, 12:34:50 AM »
Flipping heck!

He should celebrate by releasing that new album!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5234 on: March 13, 2021, 02:25:28 AM »
Happy birthday to Steve Harris. He is the man.  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5235 on: March 13, 2021, 03:39:49 AM »
Flipping heck!

This album is one of the worst kept secrets in the history of music, eh?

Offline bobzor

« Reply #5236 on: March 13, 2021, 06:23:33 AM »

I think by far the best b-sides they ever did were the ones during Somewhere in Time: Reach Out and That Girl. Man, they are great songs. And with that signature SIT guitar sound and all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5237 on: March 13, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »

I think by far the best b-sides they ever did were the ones during Somewhere in Time: Reach Out and That Girl. Man, they are great songs. And with that signature SIT guitar sound and all.

That Girl was a great interpretation.  I do prefer FM's version though personally.  Reach Out is phenomenal.

I'll add some votes for Judgement Day and Justice of the Peace.  Ripper tracks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5238 on: March 13, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »

Wrong band. Those were Blaze tracks.  :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5239 on: March 14, 2021, 04:35:47 AM »

Wrong band. Those were Blaze tracks.  :P

I just knew someone would call me out on that after I posted.  Of course it was you Tim!  :lol :facepalm:

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5240 on: March 14, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
Flipping heck!

This album is one of the worst kept secrets in the history of music, eh?

Hope so!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5241 on: March 14, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »
Bes Maiden b-sides:

- Total Eclipse (A top 10 Maiden song for me)
- All In Your Mind
- Rainbow's Gold
- King Of Twilight
- I've Got The Fire

I actually like Women In Uniform, too, even though the band isn't keen on it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5242 on: March 14, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
These are my Top 5

-I've Got The Fire
-Rainbow's Gold
-Sherriff Of Huddersfield
-Reach Out
-Massacre

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5243 on: March 14, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »
Judgement Day
Justice of the Peace
Reach Out
Charlotte the Harlot 88
Prowler 88

Rainbows Gold and King of Twilight could take the place of the remakes though.

Women in Uniform is a great rendition and very true to the original.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #5244 on: March 14, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
Got to be Sheriff of Huddersfield and mission from 'Arry

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5245 on: March 14, 2021, 09:13:19 PM »

Whenever I'd make a tape of something for one of my friends, I would end them with "....some c***'s recording this..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5246 on: March 14, 2021, 09:25:12 PM »

Whenever I'd make a tape of something for one of my friends, I would end them with "....some c***'s recording this..."

:lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #5247 on: March 14, 2021, 09:32:10 PM »

:D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5248 on: March 15, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
TBH, I dislike almost all the IM b-sides.  Blaze has the best with Justice of the Peace, Judgement Day, and Virus.

I've got the Fire and Women in Uniform are good too.  The Bruce b-sides just do absolutely nothing for me.  The Best of the B-sides CD from Eddies Archive is sadly mostly unlistenable to me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5249 on: April 13, 2021, 06:43:56 AM »
And now, in "shocking" news that exactly no one is surprised of.....

IRON MAIDEN EUROPEAN LEGACY OF THE BEAST SUMMER 2021 TOUR – POSTPONED TO 2022

We regret to announce that the IRON MAIDEN 2021 June & July dates on the Legacy Of The Beast Tour have been postponed due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic restrictions on global live events and travel. The Legacy Of The Beast European Tour will now take place in the Summer of 2022 on the dates below. All tickets remain valid. Please note:

-The German Stuttgart 2022 show will now take place at the Cannstatter Wasen, not the Mercedes-Benz Arena, which is not available due to stadium reconstruction works. Tickets remain valid and ticket-holders will be notified by the local promoter/ticketing agency in due course.

-The Swiss show has reverted to Zurich Hallenstadion as was originally planned for 2020, as this venue is now available again for 2022. Therefore, there will be no rescheduled show for Basel St Jakobshalle (which never went onsale this year).

-Zurich along with Frankfurt, Arnhem and Belsonic will go on sale imminently – details below

The postponement of the Legacy Of The Beast Tour does however bring the good news that Maiden can now return to headlining the European festival dates initially planned for 2020 which were cancelled due to the pandemic. This includes Graspop in Belgium so therefore the own-show date in Antwerp (which had also not gone onsale) will no longer take place. Furthermore, we are in the process of finalising a further couple of own-shows in other European territories and will update you about those as soon as they are confirmed.

Confirmed supports for all own-shows can be found on the Tour date page. Where possible these will remain the same as announced for this year.

Manager Rod Smallwood comments; “Naturally the band are hugely disappointed, a second summer without touring, especially with this very special Legacy show, is very hard to take. They send their best wishes to you all, knowing full well you fans will feel the same. As we all know, realistically there is no alternative so we will all make the best of it and spend the time preparing for a very memorable and even more spectacular Legacy tour next year, we promise! Until then keep safe and keep smart”

2022 LEGACY OF THE BEAST EUROPEAN DATES:

June 04 - Finland Hyvinkää Rockfest
June 11 - UK Donington Download Festival
June 13 - N.Ire Belfast Ormeau Park Belsonic Festival*
June 16 - Belgium, Dessel Graspop
June 18 - Denmark, Copenhagen, Copenhell
June 20 - Czech Republic Prague Sinobo Stadium (rescheduled from 15.06.2021)
June 23 - Norway Oslo Tons Of Rock
June 26 - France Paris La Defense Arena (rescheduled from 11.07.21)
June 27 - Netherlands Arnhem Gelredome (rescheduled from 10.07.21)*
June 30 - Switzerland Zurich Hallenstadion *

July 02 - Germany Cologne Rhein-Energie-Stadium (rescheduled from 08.07.21)
July 04 - Germany Berlin Waldbühne (rescheduled from 30.06.21)
July 07 - Italy Bologna Sonic Park (rescheduled from 24.06.21)
July 09 - Germany Stuttgart Cannstatter Wasen (rescheduled from Mercedes-Benz Arena 26.06.21)
July 10 - Austria Wiener Neustadt Stadium Open-Air (rescheduled from 16.06.21)
July 20 - Germany Bremen Bürgerweide (rescheduled from 13.06.21)
July 22 - Sweden Gothenburg Ullevi Stadium (rescheduled from 03.07.21)
July 24 - Poland Warsaw PGE Narodowy (rescheduled from 11.06.21)
July 26 - Germany Frankfurt Deutsche Bank Park (rescheduled from 06.07.21)*
July 29 - Spain Barcelona Olympic Stadium (rescheduled from 19.06.21)
July 31 - Portugal Lisbon Estadio Nacional (rescheduled from 21.06.21)

ARNHEM: On Sale Friday 16th April @ 10am CET

ZURICH: On Sale Friday 23rd April @ 8am CET

FRANKFURT: On-Sale Friday 23rd April @10am CET

BELSONIC: On-Sale Friday 16th April @ 9am BST

The Zurich and Frankfurt shows will have exclusive Iron Maiden Fan Club presales next week. Please click here for more info.

------------

Geez, drop the tour already and release the damn new album! I know that selfishly I'll enjoy seeing again their best visual show ever, but they've lost two of their final years behind a tour that everyone in the world (except Oceania) has seen at least once.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!