Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571364 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5040 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »
Well we all know IM did do the real magic show  :lol and LotB was a much better display, but in seriousness, you are right.  Even the smaller things like the noose hanging down and Bruce singing and swaying it during FotD.  Small, subtle, but really effective for getting the visuals in place for taking the performance to the next level.  I'd probably say it's more "theater" than "magic" but I'm not sure it matters, the point is the same.  The music itself is the magic, I think.

No, no we're saying the exact same thing, you're just being more clear about it.  I was referring to the Raising Hell show, in that it was more theater than "metal concert".  This felt like a nod toward that - without the side stages.  Maybe I'm reading more into it than was intended (I don't think so, though) but I thought Bruce did more "acting" and "miming" in this show than ever before.  There was that bit with the heart on the Book Of Souls tour, but this had the sword fight, the flamethrowers, the noose, the cross, the TNT... he was a regular Wile E. Fucking Coyote on this tour.   :)

The firework that launched out the American Flag into Eddie, and the scripted insult at Eddie during The Trooper. Were also neat to relive when I watched the full show from Albuquerque. It actually sounds pretty good for a front row bootleg. I was behind the Mixing boards, so was right in the middle, and that was a perfect spot for this tour. Got to see everything, that I know I wouldn't have been able to see if I got a closer seat, or the pit. I laughed at the security in the vid of my show because they have a bit of a concerned look when the plane is over the audience and above them,  :lol. But even they enjoyed the show.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5041 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
Well we all know IM did do the real magic show  :lol and LotB was a much better display, but in seriousness, you are right.  Even the smaller things like the noose hanging down and Bruce singing and swaying it during FotD.  Small, subtle, but really effective for getting the visuals in place for taking the performance to the next level.  I'd probably say it's more "theater" than "magic" but I'm not sure it matters, the point is the same.  The music itself is the magic, I think.

No, no we're saying the exact same thing, you're just being more clear about it.  I was referring to the Raising Hell show, in that it was more theater than "metal concert".  This felt like a nod toward that - without the side stages.  Maybe I'm reading more into it than was intended (I don't think so, though) but I thought Bruce did more "acting" and "miming" in this show than ever before.  There was that bit with the heart on the Book Of Souls tour, but this had the sword fight, the flamethrowers, the noose, the cross, the TNT... he was a regular Wile E. Fucking Coyote on this tour.   :)

The firework that launched out the American Flag into Eddie, and the scripted insult at Eddie during The Trooper. Were also neat to relive when I watched the full show from Albuquerque. It actually sounds pretty good for a front row bootleg. I was behind the Mixing boards, so was right in the middle, and that was a perfect spot for this tour. Got to see everything, that I know I wouldn't have been able to see if I got a closer seat, or the pit. I laughed at the security in the vid of my show because they have a bit of a concerned look when the plane is over the audience and above them,  :lol. But even they enjoyed the show.

When I was upfront for a previous IM show, security guard in front of me was not happy at all when Steve Harris came by and dropped his sweat all over the guard  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5042 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »
Looking back on it, the Poweslave tour stage was outstanding too.
As good as LotB was, I can't help think that World Slavery was better, owing to their respective times. To me, Legacy seemed almost trite. It was utilizing the things that are now expected. Back in 1984 it was a lot harder to pull off a massive show like that, and they killed it. For those of us old enough to have been there, did anybody get goosebumps from the inflatable spitfire the way they did when the giant gold sarcophagus opened up and the mummified Eddie came out? The quiet interlude during Rhyme was fantastic in '84 despite being little more than fog and blue lights with some creaking noises. And of course Maiden's longstanding use of rotating backdrops. Truth is, eveything they did on the Legacy tour they were doing back in the early 80s.

With that said, the theming of this one was wonderful. I loved the war set changing into the religious set, and the various props and whatnot went a long way to that end.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5043 on: January 05, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
Looking back on it, the Poweslave tour stage was outstanding too.
As good as LotB was, I can't help think that World Slavery was better, owing to their respective times.

I can't argue with that at all.

I actually just listened to Live After Death last week, and watched a few songs from the DVD. I'm not in love with all of the camera work, but that is great footage nonetheless.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5044 on: January 05, 2021, 11:49:21 AM »
Truth is, eveything they did on the Legacy tour they were doing back in the early 80s.

Flame throwers and planes? I get your point for sure because they mostly did just expand upon a lot of the same ideas, but they weren't doing everything in the 80s that they do now.  Also, historically, they really only had the cool stage props for a couple songs on tour.  They've gone and added them to half the set on this latest tour. And I think the thing that separates their visual show from other bands of today (where flame throwers and huge stage props are more normal) is the integration of it all into the song.  The theater part.  Bands like Kiss can throw out all the explosions and flames, but it's not always connecting with the music in the same way that Bruce shooting burning an angel's wings during The Flight of Icarus does. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5045 on: January 05, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »
Truth is, eveything they did on the Legacy tour they were doing back in the early 80s.

Flame throwers and planes? I get your point for sure because they mostly did just expand upon a lot of the same ideas, but they weren't doing everything in the 80s that they do now.  Also, historically, they really only had the cool stage props for a couple songs on tour.  They've gone and added them to half the set on this latest tour. And I think the thing that separates their visual show from other bands of today (where flame throwers and huge stage props are more normal) is the integration of it all into the song.  The theater part.  Bands like Kiss can throw out all the explosions and flames, but it's not always connecting with the music in the same way that Bruce shooting burning an angel's wings during The Flight of Icarus does.
Yep. The opener for Somewhere On Tour was the Theme from Blade Runner, the skyline decked out in lots of neon, and a couple of air cars floating about. The exact same sort of thing as the spitfire, but two of them and they floated around over the audience.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5046 on: January 05, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »

Yep. The opener for Somewhere On Tour was the Theme from Blade Runner, the skyline decked out in lots of neon, and a couple of air cars floating about. The exact same sort of thing as the spitfire, but two of them and they floated around over the audience.

I've never seen this before, maybe because that tour there's no good video.  I've watched some poor boots but don't ever recall seeing that.  I guess I may be wrong then.  But flamethrowers?  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5047 on: January 05, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
Getting back to the noose in Hallowed Be Thy Name, I can't believe it took them 40 years to pull it out. It's such an easy and immediate prop that it's hard to imagine nobody in the band thought about it before  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5048 on: January 05, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »

I've never seen this before, maybe because that tour there's no good video.  I've watched some poor boots but don't ever recall seeing that.  I guess I may be wrong then.  But flamethrowers?  :biggrin:
No good video that I can find. Mostly the cameras at the time weren't able to deal with the lighting. It was very dark with a few very bright lights scattered about. As for flamethrowers, probably not, but Dallas didn't allow pyro at indoor venues back then. (Lots of tours played Ft Worth, instead, for that reason). It was a great effect, though.

That was also the last tour they played Dancing on Glass, or Walking on Air, or whatever they were calling it that week.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5049 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
I wish I had an official version of that.  I love Howard Blake, and "Snowman" off of Bent Out Of Shape (Rainbow) is one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5050 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
Getting back to the noose in Hallowed Be Thy Name, I can't believe it took them 40 years to pull it out. It's such an easy and immediate prop that it's hard to imagine nobody in the band thought about it before  :D

They had a noose on stage for the Raising Hell show - it just wasn't a constant feature of their standard show.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAws9K6B1eU

\

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5051 on: January 05, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »

This crosses my mind every time I think of this set.  I think I've checked about four times to see if something has changed about the release.  I want to SEE that show again.   That show in Hartford just keeps rising as time goes on; I'd list it as one of the top five or so concerts I've ever seen at this point.

Here you go...Hartford!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KdN6_4a8IY&t=525s

HOLY CRAP.  HOLY CRAP.

I just projected this up on my big screen, and WOW.   I was right to the left of this guy (I'm 90% sure I saw myself to the left, behind the guy with the red hat, when he panned over to Dave during Where Eagles Dare) and it's like being there all over again.  Sounds not fantastic, but the band sounds great, and to see the visuals again is a treat...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:59:51 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5052 on: January 05, 2021, 08:51:48 PM »
I actually watched a lot of this show last week. The sound is great!

Steve has slowed down a bit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:57:53 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5053 on: January 06, 2021, 07:11:13 AM »
Yeah, that's fair Cram. At least with Bruce, it is what it is, and that's totally cool. But this is easily his worse performance on any of their live albums.

Anyway, I was just giving a counterpoint to Stadler. I don't want to come off as negative.

What I should add though, is in person I've never walked away from a DT or IM show thinking the vocals were poor.  Usually the other way around.
Me neither atleast the times i've seen Maiden and in general not with DT however I have to mention that when I saw DT during The Astonishing tour I was really annoyed with JLB vocals i'm sad to say. He sounded horrible that night, i'm not sure he had a bad day or something. The band was killer though, especially MM. He really put on a show and kinda of saved the night for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:10 AM »
It's almost universal; I rarely listen to shows I've actually been at, because there's so much I notice in the cold light of hindsight that doesn't hold up and I don't want to lose the memory.   But I watched about 60% of that Hartford show and I was amazed that my perception - that Bruce nailed the SHIT out of that setlist - was pretty spot on.   

The only thing about that vid that wasn't a revelation is that the energy of The Number Of The Beast didn't translate.  In the room, it was ELECTRIC.   The energy was amazing.

Boy, it would be awesome if I could figure out how to download that show onto my Mac in HD for my own personal use, not to be distributed or sold in any way.   ;)   Hint.  Hint.    :) 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5055 on: January 06, 2021, 07:51:22 AM »
https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-to-download-youtube-videos

It's been awhile since I've done this, so I don't have a specific app or website to recommend, but there's plenty out there.

Also, I watched a bit of the Hartford video and that is a very well done bootleg  :yarr

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5056 on: January 11, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »
There's a dude on Dime uploading a shit ton of Maiden DVDs over the past few days. Where the hell was he during the freeloader days??

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5057 on: January 12, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »
Were they opening for someone bigger at that show?  That stage setup looks like equipment for another band behind those cloth walls?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5058 on: January 12, 2021, 03:07:58 PM »
Were they opening for someone bigger at that show?  That stage setup looks like equipment for another band behind those cloth walls?

Are you talking about the Hartford show? No, they were the headliner.  That type of wrapping over the back and side of the stage eventually gets removed to reveal the look of the church stage look for the more religious themed songs.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5059 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »
I've had several DVDs of Maiden for a while but was missing a few and had an old VHS download of Maiden England, glad to have updated to the DVD which I haven't watched yet. Also got the blu-ray versions of Flight 666 and En Vivo.

Haven't listened to all of Bruce I era live albums, though very close to done. Listening to all MP related projects for now.

I recently watched Death on the Road....man I can't believe how crazy the editing on that is. There is less than a second for each shot. It's truly dizzying. I normally don't mind fast edits but this is atrociously obnoxiously fast.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5060 on: January 15, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
Just a suggestion, but WATCH THE BONUS FEATURES.  They sort of vary between the legacy releases and the contemporary releases, but in general, it's a treasure trove of information.  I found them exceedingly entertaining. 

Also, at least with respect to Live After Death, the audio on the DVD is not the same as the audio on the CD/LP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5061 on: January 15, 2021, 07:56:34 AM »
Oh yeah should have mentioned, it goes without saying I watched the bonus features first. I re-watched the Early Days part II doc on LAD and the chapter on the fight between Nicko and Steve is absolutely hilarious. Mission to Arry is still a hilarious listen.

Only doc/extra I haven't watched yet is on the Maiden England stuff.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:06:25 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5062 on: January 15, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
That documentary is a bit shorter but entertaining nonetheless.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5064 on: January 17, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
@faizoff

Where did you get the Flight 666 bluray?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5065 on: January 17, 2021, 08:20:27 AM »

I recently watched Death on the Road....man I can't believe how crazy the editing on that is. There is less than a second for each shot. It's truly dizzying. I normally don't mind fast edits but this is atrociously obnoxiously fast.

Doesn't that suck? I've mentioned this many times, but that show is the most glorious footage ever captured of the band. But it's ruined by the edits.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5066 on: January 17, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
@faizoff

Where did you get the Flight 666 bluray?

Used on eBay. finally found a decent priced one for I think $18, everyone is out of their mind listing it with a super high price. I guess I got lucky.

Doesn't that suck? I've mentioned this many times, but that show is the most glorious footage ever captured of the band. But it's ruined by the edits.

Yeah it does, I recall watching it when it first got released and that was the common criticism, but it's way worse than I remembered. Agreed it's some of the best footage of the band.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5067 on: January 17, 2021, 11:39:27 AM »
Paul DiAnno needs knee surgery.

https://bravewords.com/news/paul-di-anno-crowdfunding-campaign-launched-to-raise-money-for-knee-surgery

Who's in?

Do we get our name on it for donating?   

I joke, but I do feel bad for the guy.   He didn't fail out early enough to know that he wasn't cut out for rock and roll (like some of the other early Maiden guys) but he didn't last long enough to be viable solo guy (like Roth, or Dio after Rainbow, or Fish). 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:51:45 AM by Stadler »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5069 on: February 02, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »
In other news: I'll interview Blaze Bayley next Monday!!! I'm pretty excited about that one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5070 on: February 02, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »
I love Gandalf Bruce with a beard.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5071 on: February 02, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
Paul DiAnno needs knee surgery.

https://bravewords.com/news/paul-di-anno-crowdfunding-campaign-launched-to-raise-money-for-knee-surgery

Who's in?

Do we get our name on it for donating?   

I joke, but I do feel bad for the guy.   He didn't fail out early enough to know that he wasn't cut out for rock and roll (like some of the other early Maiden guys) but he didn't last long enough to be viable solo guy (like Roth, or Dio after Rainbow, or Fish).

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.  It's a chemical eraser.  It erases bank accounts, homes, cars, relationships, jobs, bands, etc.  After a while it will even erase your life if you can't quit.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5072 on: February 02, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
Wow. 40 years of Killers! Still my desert island Maiden album.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5073 on: February 03, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »
In other news: I'll interview Blaze Bayley next Monday!!! I'm pretty excited about that one.
This is amazing, man! Interviews with Blaze are always entertaining and pleasant, he comes off as an engaging, kind person in his interviews. I'm looking forward to your impressions, as well as to the interview itself.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5074 on: February 03, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »
This is amazing, man! Interviews with Blaze are always entertaining and pleasant, he comes off as an engaging, kind person in his interviews. I'm looking forward to your impressions, as well as to the interview itself.

Yeah, from what I've seen, he's incredibly engaged and funny in interviews. I'm looking forward to that one. I listened to the new album today on my run, and it's a very uplifting record!