Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570505 times)

Online Mladen

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #5005 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:12 AM »
Lol, 3 of the song titles;

The Dream of Alan Turing
The Power of Nikola Tesla
The Unstoppable Stephen Hawking

:lol

I'm going to order the one with the Japanese Bonus Tracks

The Stubborn Steve Harris
The Douchery Of Bruce Dickinson
Brilliant.  :lol

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5006 on: December 16, 2020, 05:57:29 AM »
https://rockinrio.com/rio/pt-br/line-up/
Maiden already did the Legacy of The Beast show in the last RiR. So it seems to me that the new album will be out before next september (although I still doubt that this RiR will happen... at least in Rio de Janeiro or in Brazil).

Bruce about Maiden's appearance on this festival:
"The 'Legacy of the Beast' tour was a lot of fun, you just have to wait and see what we plan for next time..."
https://whiplash.net/materias/news_736/327113-ironmaiden.html (in portuguese)
Well, let's hope they don't change plans again and release the new album in 2021.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5007 on: December 16, 2020, 06:03:43 AM »
I just saw an announcement of a tour moved to Autumn 2021 for Fintroll. The other day both... Epica and Opeth if I remember correctly? postponed their tours to 2022. Helloween as far as I remember rescheduled their shows for next spring, but now the new album is scheduled for August and in April we'll get only the single.

I don't know, every band will decide for themselves, but the gut feeling is that plenty of bands are already giving up on 2021 and they're planning tours for 2022. There will be concerts in 2021, but I'm afraid they will be local ones and bands will have difficulties to tour several nations depending on the various restrictions which still be in place.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5008 on: December 16, 2020, 09:20:54 AM »
Meanwhile Evergrey just announced a fall 2021 tour or Europe.  I think some bands are feeling hopeful that by the fall we can do things again as the vaccine should be widely available by then.  Dream Theater announced they are playing Rock in Rio in September.  I think 2022 is the safe bet, but it seems some think fall 2021 is going to happen.  We will see.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5009 on: December 16, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »
Man, if concerts and international travel are a thing come fall 2021, I'm going to be able to catch Blind Guardian, Evergrey/Witherfall and visit ProgPower Europe 2021 in one trip. Fingers crossed.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5010 on: January 04, 2021, 01:57:40 PM »
Is this where we discuss the live album?

I got it and I listened to it today; it's very good, not their best, but I will say this: I don't think I've ever listened to a live album and has as strong a feeling of "I wish I was there!".  It brought back so many (good) memories of seeing the show, I can forgive some of the shortcomings.

Highlights:  Bruce sounds good, for the most part.  You know he was working hard during Aces High, but he still sounded good.   The guitar solos are right there for you, and sound great.  Song selection is well-documented, but it really works.

Lowlights: none, really, though it seemed... short.  105 minutes, or an hour and 45 minutes.  They must've cut some of the banter (and there was some downtime between songs as they "set" the stage that was cut). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5011 on: January 04, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
Bruce only really talked once in the show, before The Clansman, but for sure I believe (haven't heard it yet in full) that they cut down the downtime moments between a song or the other.

For example, when they set up the stage for the church before Revelations, there's just some background noise to simulate machinery working, I expect that has been cut since it makes no sense on audio.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5012 on: January 04, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
I recall at the LA show before they played The Clansman where Bruce decided to bring Hollywood into it by mentioning the movie, Braveheart.  He remarked on why they decided to bring an Australian actor to play the role of a Scotsman and thought that was just Hollywood being weird or something like that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5013 on: January 04, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
I recall at the LA show before they played The Clansman where Bruce decided to bring Hollywood into it by mentioning the movie, Braveheart.  He remarked on why they decided to bring an Australian actor to play the role of a Scotsman and thought that was just Hollywood being weird or something like that.

He seems to always bring up Braveheart when playing the Clansman.

I haven't bought the live album, but streamed it enough to say I actually really enjoy it.  It sounds live and I like that, mistakes and all.  It's not perfect and that's totally cool with me as long as it feels legit, which it totally does.  It's pretty damn enjoyable but just makes me mad it's not in video form.  Would have been awesome to see the a full video, well produced and all in Mexico for Maiden.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5014 on: January 04, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
He always gets going a bit before The Clansman, a speech during the Gimme the Ed tour in 2003 was so legendary that I can almost type it from memory.

He first talked about the movie not being that great, but having a good message about freedom, saying how freedom is important and these days you're not supposed to have certain kind of thoughts, and you're not supposed to listen to certain kind of music. Going on about how kids are being picked on for not listening to "cool" music.
"Well, back in the xxth century there was a guy named William Wallace and when they tried to take their rights from him, he chopped their heads off, that's what he did. This may be going too far in this day and age... but this is for all of you who have stuck with metal music, the stuff that you like, not what the radio or the media like, the stuff that it's in your head and your hearts!
And as long as it's in your heads and your hearts, we will always be here to play it for you my friends, THE CLANSMAN"  :metal

Ah, reading it probably means nothing and sounds cocky, you should just see the Nurburgring video  :D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5015 on: January 04, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »
He always gets going a bit before The Clansman, a speech during the Gimme the Ed tour in 2003 was so legendary that I can almost type it from memory.

He first talked about the movie not being that great, but having a good message about freedom, saying how freedom is important and these days you're not supposed to have certain kind of thoughts, and you're not supposed to listen to certain kind of music. Going on about how kids are being picked on for not listening to "cool" music.
"Well, back in the xxth century there was a guy named William Wallace and when they tried to take their rights from him, he chopped their heads off, that's what he did. This may be going too far in this day and age... but this is for all of you who have stuck with metal music, the stuff that you like, not what the radio or the media like, the stuff that it's in your head and your hearts!
And as long as it's in your heads and your hearts, we will always be here to play it for you my friends, THE CLANSMAN"  :metal

Ah, reading it probably means nothing and sounds cocky, you should just see the Nurburgring video  :D

I read it in Bruce's voice so it worked for me  :lol but I have a bootleg of the local Give Me Ed show with a speech very similar.  Sadly, I did not attend, this was RIGHT before I became a IM fan, I actually was very much considering going to check them out though but instead used my tickets (I had 4 tickets to use for a select bunch of shows that summer at the local venue) to see Def Leppard with my friends instead.  Funny though, I was already a DL fan, but not a big enough fan to know about the new wave of british heavy metal that both DL and IM were part of. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5016 on: January 04, 2021, 05:16:14 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern thing, but down here we got an admonition "make sure you fucking spell it right, it's Clansman with a C."  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5017 on: January 04, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »

I got it and I listened to it today; it's very good, not their best, but I will say this: I don't think I've ever listened to a live album and has as strong a feeling of "I wish I was there!".  It brought back so many (good) memories of seeing the show, I can forgive some of the shortcomings.

Highlights:  Bruce sounds good, for the most part.  You know he was working hard during Aces High, but he still sounded good.   The guitar solos are right there for you, and sound great.  Song selection is well-documented, but it really works.

Lowlights: none, really, though it seemed... short.  105 minutes, or an hour and 45 minutes.  They must've cut some of the banter (and there was some downtime between songs as they "set" the stage that was cut).

To me, Bruce sounds so bad, it's actually a bit distracting. It's terrible, honestly. I remember the main criticism of DOTR was Bruce's vocals, which I didn't understand. But these? Yikes. And people are giving James shit over Distant Memories?

To me, the hero of this tour and album is Nicko. He is amazing on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5018 on: January 04, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »

Well the song is about William Wallace and certainly inspired by the film (FREEEEEDOM!).   

My favorite intro to the Clansman was on the Ed Hunter tour in 1999.   In Chicago, he said "This is not a song about men in pointy white hats, this is a song about William Wallace, Braveheart, etc.....)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5019 on: January 04, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »
the Ed Hunter tour in 1999. 

Even though Boston was one of the shows Adrian missed, I freaking loved that show. One of my favorite tours by them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5020 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:47 PM »

To me, Bruce sounds so bad, it's actually a bit distracting. It's terrible, honestly. I remember the main criticism of DOTR was Bruce's vocals, which I didn't understand. But these? Yikes. And people are giving James shit over Distant Memories?

To me, the hero of this tour and album is Nicko. He is amazing on this.

I give JLB more shit than Bruce because JLB sounds touched up to the point it becomes noticeable and distracting to me.  Bruce shows his warts and I'm ok with it because that's my preference for a live album, plus I don't think it's really that bad to be distracting the way the touched up vocals can be.  I guess if I felt the rawness of it made it worse, I'd agree but I just don't in this case. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5021 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:32 PM »
Yeah, that's fair Cram. At least with Bruce, it is what it is, and that's totally cool. But this is easily his worse performance on any of their live albums.

Anyway, I was just giving a counterpoint to Stadler. I don't want to come off as negative.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5022 on: January 04, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't understand why Steve simply swallow his pride and tune down half a step.  It would make all the difference for Bruce IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #5023 on: January 05, 2021, 12:01:44 AM »
I don't understand why Steve simply swallow his pride and tune down half a step.  It would make all the difference for Bruce IMO.

If he didn't do it for Blaze who outright needed those songs to be down-tuned to match his baritone range, I don't see Steve ever doing it for Bruce. But yes, he absolutely should. It'd help a lot, I think.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5024 on: January 05, 2021, 12:14:36 AM »

If he didn't do it for Blaze who outright needed those songs to be down-tuned to match his baritone range, I don't see Steve ever doing it for Bruce. But yes, he absolutely should. It'd help a lot, I think.

Oh yeah, I've always said the same thing for Blaze too.  He hasn't done it yet so don't see it happening.  Just seems like a simple fix.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5025 on: January 05, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »

I haven't bought the live album, but streamed it enough to say I actually really enjoy it.  It sounds live and I like that, mistakes and all.  It's not perfect and that's totally cool with me as long as it feels legit, which it totally does.  It's pretty damn enjoyable but just makes me mad it's not in video form.  Would have been awesome to see the a full video, well produced and all in Mexico for Maiden.

This crosses my mind every time I think of this set.  I think I've checked about four times to see if something has changed about the release.  I want to SEE that show again.   That show in Hartford just keeps rising as time goes on; I'd list it as one of the top five or so concerts I've ever seen at this point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5026 on: January 05, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »

This crosses my mind every time I think of this set.  I think I've checked about four times to see if something has changed about the release.  I want to SEE that show again.   That show in Hartford just keeps rising as time goes on; I'd list it as one of the top five or so concerts I've ever seen at this point.

I found a full recording of our show in Albuquerque. Bruce sounds pretty good here. Not as bad as the recording.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5027 on: January 05, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
I loved this backdrop and theme.

August 1, 2019
Xfinity Center
Mansfield, MA

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5028 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:13 AM »

Here you go...Hartford!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KdN6_4a8IY&t=525s

Rock In Rio 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglmRsumUao

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5029 on: January 05, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
Yeah, that's fair Cram. At least with Bruce, it is what it is, and that's totally cool. But this is easily his worse performance on any of their live albums.

Anyway, I was just giving a counterpoint to Stadler. I don't want to come off as negative.

What I should add though, is in person I've never walked away from a DT or IM show thinking the vocals were poor.  Usually the other way around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5030 on: January 05, 2021, 08:32:23 AM »

What I should add though, is in person I've never walked away from a DT or IM show thinking the vocals were poor.  Usually the other way around.

Agreed 100%!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5031 on: January 05, 2021, 08:57:13 AM »
+1 on that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5032 on: January 05, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »

Here you go...Hartford!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KdN6_4a8IY&t=525s

Rock In Rio 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglmRsumUao

Dude wasn't far from me, apparently...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5033 on: January 05, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »
While we are at it... more from Hartford...

I LOVED when Bruce hit the TNT to end the set

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5034 on: January 05, 2021, 09:28:08 AM »
Nice, only proving that visually, this was probably their best show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5035 on: January 05, 2021, 10:07:24 AM »

I don't think there's any question about that, IMO.  I mean, I haven't seen any of their pre 2005 shows in person, but they really upped their game with the visuals from that the legacy of the beast tour to a new level. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5036 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »

I don't think there's any question about that, IMO.  I mean, I haven't seen any of their pre 2005 shows in person, but they really upped their game with the visuals from that the legacy of the beast tour to a new level.

There was an epicness, a more cinematic quality to this last show.  They really did take it to a new level in terms of how the set and show interacted with the concert itself.  It's hard to describe, but it was more akin to the magic show in that way.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5037 on: January 05, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
Well we all know IM did do the real magic show  :lol and LotB was a much better display, but in seriousness, you are right.  Even the smaller things like the noose hanging down and Bruce singing and swaying it during FotD.  Small, subtle, but really effective for getting the visuals in place for taking the performance to the next level.  I'd probably say it's more "theater" than "magic" but I'm not sure it matters, the point is the same.  The music itself is the magic, I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5038 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »

I've missed 5 tours since seeing them on the Piece Of Mind tour.

The X Factor....My boss would not let me take the nights off from work. I was fucking ripped.
Give Me 'Ed-I literally was not aware of the show when it happened. Just had my second son and was not paying attention
The Early Days-I wasn't buying a ticket to Ozzfest to see them open for Ozzy.
Dance Of Death-They didn't tour the album here (Yes I know they played in NYC)
AMOLAD-We were in Disney

And Legacy Of The Beast was easily their best production.

Looking back on it, the Poweslave tour stage was outstanding too.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5039 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »
Well we all know IM did do the real magic show  :lol and LotB was a much better display, but in seriousness, you are right.  Even the smaller things like the noose hanging down and Bruce singing and swaying it during FotD.  Small, subtle, but really effective for getting the visuals in place for taking the performance to the next level.  I'd probably say it's more "theater" than "magic" but I'm not sure it matters, the point is the same.  The music itself is the magic, I think.

No, no we're saying the exact same thing, you're just being more clear about it.  I was referring to the Raising Hell show, in that it was more theater than "metal concert".  This felt like a nod toward that - without the side stages.  Maybe I'm reading more into it than was intended (I don't think so, though) but I thought Bruce did more "acting" and "miming" in this show than ever before.  There was that bit with the heart on the Book Of Souls tour, but this had the sword fight, the flamethrowers, the noose, the cross, the TNT... he was a regular Wile E. Fucking Coyote on this tour.   :)