Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557716 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4865 on: December 02, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
There are some nice songs there, but I'm not a big fan of the change in vocal style that Bruce did. The kind of raspy voice he started with on those albums bring the enjoyment down somewhat for me.

I get that they felt they needed to take things down a notch or two from the epicness from the previous albums though. And Judas Be My Guide will always be a big favourite of mine.

I wish he covered that in more detail in his book.  I'm fascinated by that; was it necessity?  Was it his choice (Tattooed Millionaire seems to suggest that)?  Steve's (the hiring of Blaze seems to suggest that)?

I like Raising Hell; I ripped the show to my hard drive so I have the audio (it's not perfect, what with the intercut magic segments).   At first I thought the music behind the magic was Maiden, doing something different, but it's not.   

TAC, I know what you mean; there IS something about that show that's different.  I can't put it into words either.

One thing that's unique about that show is that Bruce had ALREADY done his final show with the band and the tour was done, and I think they got an offer for one last hurrah. I could tell he was really disengaged with what Maiden represented at that show.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4866 on: December 02, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
There are some nice songs there, but I'm not a big fan of the change in vocal style that Bruce did. The kind of raspy voice he started with on those albums bring the enjoyment down somewhat for me.

I honestly thought he had blown out his voice and that his career was over, which was only solidified by the fact that he left the group after those albums.  Then a few years later I heard a track off Chemical Wedding and I was like WHOA!  Dickinson can sing again!  :eek

The tracks from those two albums that are on the subsequent live releases sound SO much better, especially the post-reunion live stuff. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #4867 on: December 03, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
I'm doing something I don't think I've ever done before and just listening to their live albums only.

When done please post a quick synopsis/review with your rankings. Would enjoy reading your thoughts.

I got done with listening to all the Reunion live albums, all six of them. They are all great and really fun to listen to and I'd rank them all a min 9/10 and just nitpickiness makes some more preferable than others. In terms of ranking

1. Rock In Rio
2. Death On The Road
3. Flight 666
4. The Book Of Souls - Live Chapter
5. Nights Of The Dead, Legacy Of The Beast- Live In Mexico City
6. En Vivo!

All of these I'm commenting on the CD mix, all but Mexico City have a video counter part and a 5.1 mix so not reviewing those. The latest two live records sound a bit odd in how they're mixed on the CD, I listened to some of the tracks more than a few times and I read up that those two were not mixed by Kevin Shirley who's been with them this whole time since Brave New World. It's a shame though apart from Dance of Death, all the albums have an amazing mix and sound IMO. I feel he's nailed the sonic presentation of the three guitar's spatial positions and tone, both studio and live. The last two live albums also have a really weird audience mix, like really weird at times esp during the choruses or any crowd singing part. The guitars sound is 'mild' is the term I would use. When you listen to any of the other Kevin Shirley mixed live records you can notice the difference right away, I guess it doesn't have that punchy crunchy sound. In any case it was just a strange realization for me since I got so used to the first four album vibe those last two stuck out quite a bit. Weird audience and muted guitar tone aside, the performances are great and Bruce does sound tired on the Mexico City album and even out of breath several times something I think I've never heard before.

Rock in Rio is still my favorite of the bunch, it's got so many amazing things going.
- Incredible crowd, their clapping along in Blood Brothers is my favorite crowd involvement moment. Their singing along is incredible at times.
- First live mix of the triple guitar and really well done. Blood Brothers is probably the best song that illustrates the 3 different guitars during that middle clapping section leading to the ripping Janick solo
- The intro/banter to some tracks is something that's hardly there in later releases. I love these bits "Something old, something new, something from our Jurassic period.. WRATHCHILD!!", "Into the valley of death rode
    the six hundred... cannon to right of them, cannon to left of them, volley'd and thunder'd... THE TROOPER!!!!"
- Dual lead solos! The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do having Adrian and Janick do the leads together gave me massive chills on first listen.
- Sign of the cross is hypnotic, I think I listened to this track the most when I first bought the album in 2002.
- I can't believe this show was almost 20 years ago.

Death on the Road
- Paschendale and Dance of Death are so good live, the live performance of Paschendale is what made it my favorite track of the album. It's epic in every sense.
- I'm really glad they played Journeyman, it's a great track and I like it more live.
- I misremembered how good the whole album sounds, if the tracklisting had another song or two from Dance of Death like Face in the sand or Age of Innocence it would've been perfect.

Flight 666
- Largely Live After Death part 2 with some SIT and SSOASS thrown in and Fear of the Dark added for good measure. While not comparable to the original it's still a fantastic set of performances of the older tracks with the reunion band and a modern updated sound and mix.
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Wasted years are the standout tracks for me, totally engrossing.

Book of Souls Live Chapter
- Love that they played Children of the Damned and unconventionally ended with Wasted Years. Also has less of the usual bucket of songs they play in the end of every concert with just the three (Fear of the dark, Iron Maiden and Number of the Beast)
- Even though I've mentioned the mix is a tad disappointing hearing the new album songs live more than makes up for it. I just wished they had released a bluray video release rather than the stupid youtube concert.

Live in Mexico City
- More deep tracks and finally something official from AMOLAD! Any song would've been fine and they chose one of the best ones.
- The version of Sign of the cross is great but doesn't feel as hypnotic as the Rock in Rio version
- Bruce definitely sounds very different here, off night? a bit breathless at times. I have to remind myself the guy is over 60 and was treated for cancer.
- The guitar tones reminds me of the Virtual XI era guitars and those Blaze albums didn't particularly have appealing production to me even though I really like the albums.
- Crowd noise is really weird, sounds like some robotic demonic voice when singing the choruses.
- The song selection is what puts this album above En Vivo.

En Vivo!
- I need to listen to this album more, I think I was bummed they never released an official live recording of A Matter of Life and Death since they played that album in its entirety during the tour and didn't even have a track on this release. When this came out I was having Maiden fatigue and sort of never listened to the album that much. Plus at that point you were getting the album for just the 5 new songs as everything else had already been played in the recent live albums.
- This album again has a great mix of the guitar and the crowd is pretty loud, the new songs shine live.
- This really isn't a bad live album, it's just the timing was odd for me and having very few new tracks really didn't make me want to revisit the whole album.

Might just watch the counter part concerts before tackling all the pre-reunion live albums. There are quite a few of them. I think I counted 7. Should be a fun listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #4868 on: December 03, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
I'm sure it's probably been brought up before but has anyone seen Paul Di'Anno lately?

I came across this video of him performing in a wheelchair

And this video of him singing Charlotte the Harlot for what looks like some DVD has rough singing

Wonder if the guy has been keeping well. these are from 4-5 years ago.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4869 on: December 04, 2020, 04:03:59 PM »
He had some run in with benefits fraud, some health problems and then threw in the towel as far as i recall.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4870 on: December 04, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
So I listened to the new live album a few times via streaming and I must say, it is enjoyable.  Sounds super raw and very good for a band at their age. Bruce is not his best, but it sounds real.  I've always said I'd rather the live raw feel than a polished product when it comes to live albums, and this seems to be that.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4871 on: December 04, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
It sounds very raw but you got to take into account that Mexico City is a high altitude city. I think that's why he sounds winded in some songs.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4872 on: December 04, 2020, 08:14:55 PM »
It sounds very raw but you got to take into account that Mexico City is a high altitude city. I think that's why he sounds winded in some songs.

I think that would explain it. Not that I'm complaining, he really belts out still at this stage and still a fantastic performance. I just wished the guitars mix gave Adrian more prominence, only time you knew he was there was when he plays his solos. Setlist is really great, been listening to it more now and am really glad they included For The Greater Good Of God. I've listened to that track alone several times. I guess it's too much to hope for a live release of AMOLAD at this point.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4873 on: December 07, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4874 on: December 07, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
That was fun 😊
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4875 on: December 07, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
That was great. I was watching say handful of Adrian interviews last night on Youtube. The guy is really cool and engaging.

For someone who could literally have anything in the world, I think the fact that he still has the gold Les Paul, which he says he has had since he was 18 says a lot about him.

BTW, I love Gangland, and I always bristle at the criticism it gets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #4876 on: December 08, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
That video proves that even the least popular Maiden songs are pretty damn good. Look at that guitar work!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4877 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:25 AM »
Talking Music with Adrian Smith - 'Gangland'

Yes, more like this!  :tup

Fucking sensational.

Running through a deep cut, having fun, mistakes and all.  Brilliant.  Such a gracious, humble dude.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4878 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:58 AM »
Very cool, one of my least favorite IM songs but I love seeing the band not actually ignore these types of songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4879 on: December 08, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
HA!!!  Even his MISTAKES are more musical than my real playing!   

I got to say; Gangland was never a favorite, and given that it knocked one of my all-time favorites - Total Eclipse - off the record, I've always held a grudge.   But watching him play it, and looking at how well thought out the rhythm is, it's got a new life.   I love Adrian's reactions; I'd never have known there was a mistake there without his "HA!"'s.   They actually made me smile. 

I'd love to hear more of these, for sure!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4880 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »
I interviewed Adrian today, guys!!!!! I had 20 minutes with him, and was asked to focus on his book. But I did manage to fit in a few questions about his friendship with Dave Murray, joining Maiden, projects outside the band, Martin Birch, the first Rock in Rio, fan encounters etc. It was probably the most intense and tense 20 minutes I spent on the phone in an interview, and that includes job interviews as well. It will be published tomorrow, and I'll post the link here when it's ready. Hope you like it!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4881 on: December 09, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »
I interviewed Adrian today, guys!!!!! I had 20 minutes with him, and was asked to focus on his book. But I did manage to fit in a few questions about his friendship with Dave Murray, joining Maiden, projects outside the band, Martin Birch, the first Rock in Rio, fan encounters etc. It was probably the most intense and tense 20 minutes I spent on the phone in an interview, and that includes job interviews as well. It will be published tomorrow, and I'll post the link here when it's ready. Hope you like it!!!

Oh wow! Was it intimidating?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4882 on: December 09, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »

Oh wow! Was it intimidating?

A little bit...I got the call from someone in his office, and then the line was transferred to another number, someone else picked up and THEN Adrian joined the call. During the whole interview there was someone on the line, and when we approached the 18th minute someone said "ok, can you ask your last question?". I was VERY tense, but it turned out well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4883 on: December 09, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
Wow, that's very interesting. Really looking forward to it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4884 on: December 09, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
We will publish the audio and the transcript of the interview, and I am yet to transcribe it. I will give ONE spoiler, because I loved what he said about Martin Birch. I asked him to comment on how he helped shape the band's sound in the 80's, and he said "it's interesting that you said that, because  I always thought some of those albums should have been more polished. But he was great at balancing everyone's ideas and opinions, and managing egos".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4885 on: December 09, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
I think Adrian is famous for never being happy with how things sound.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4886 on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
I can imagine the pressure of interviewing such a legend!!! I bet he was chill about however.

I wonder if musicians of this caliber muse about their interviewers, or they forget about it the moment they had it  ;D stuff like "oh yeah, this guy is prepared, he's not asking the same questions" rather than "hehe he's totally fanboying and he's fighting to keep his cool, poor guy".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4887 on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
I think Adrian is famous for never being happy with how things sound.

And he may have a point about the latest releases, but LEAVE THE 80's ALBUMS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4888 on: December 09, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »
I can imagine the pressure of interviewing such a legend!!! I bet he was chill about however.

I wonder if musicians of this caliber muse about their interviewers, or they forget about it the moment they had it  ;D stuff like "oh yeah, this guy is prepared, he's not asking the same questions" rather than "hehe he's totally fanboying and he's fighting to keep his cool, poor guy".

I think it does cross their minds... ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4889 on: December 09, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »

That is so cool  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4890 on: December 09, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »

I think once you reach that level, it's easy to feel removed from reality, and I can tell because I had to go through multiple levels until he joined the call. But he was really cool about it, as down to earth as it gets when you're in that league.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4891 on: December 09, 2020, 10:13:38 AM »

That is so cool  :metal

I had one more question about fishing that I didn't ask because I felt he was comfortable enough to continue talking about Maiden. And one that I didn't have time to ask: "How does someone who's in a band with Bruce Dickinson as a singer managed to do lead vocals on a track?". I bet he would have loved that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4892 on: December 09, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »

I think once you reach that level, it's easy to feel removed from reality, and I can tell because I had to go through multiple levels until he joined the call. But he was really cool about it, as down to earth as it gets when you're in that league.

I can't even fathom that; having people set up my calls.   I'm on the phone a lot, and I'm blessed enough to be in a position where I talk to people of some influence and "power" for lack of a better word, and yet, the phone dials and rings all the same.  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4893 on: December 09, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »

I can't even fathom that; having people set up my calls.   I'm on the phone a lot, and I'm blessed enough to be in a position where I talk to people of some influence and "power" for lack of a better word, and yet, the phone dials and rings all the same.  :)

Yea, that's certainly interesting but really goes in line with what I feel like IM's management is really like.  They are so tight like that it seems.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4894 on: December 09, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »

That's Rod Smallwood's stronghold. Make no mistake, this has been his and Steve's baby from DAY ONE. I'm willing to bet that he and Steve decide the setlist, and the others just follow.

Yea, that's certainly interesting but really goes in line with what I feel like IM's management is really like.  They are so tight like that it seems.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4895 on: December 09, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »

Wicked mate.  Look forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4896 on: December 09, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
I am really looking forward to that interview! Kudos, Rodrigo.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4897 on: December 09, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
I am really looking forward to that interview! Kudos, Rodrigo.  :tup

Watch this space tomorrow!!!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4898 on: December 09, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »

I believe it's also a matter of privacy to a certain extent, you can't have all interviewers knowing the phone number of musicians at Adrian Smith's level.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

« Reply #4899 on: December 09, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »
I believe it's also a matter of privacy to a certain extent, you can't have all interviewers knowing the phone number of musicians at Adrian Smith's level.

Lawyers, on the other hand, get the good stuff!  :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung