Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 569958 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4795 on: November 19, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-ODJRnR00

Bruce opens up the new live release. Is there anyone else on the planet who would look as he does with hair like that?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4796 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:22 AM »

Bruce opens up the new live release. Is there anyone else on the planet who would look as he does with hair like that?

Obviously not, d'uh!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4797 on: November 20, 2020, 03:07:32 AM »
Bruce: "This is like some fucking awful infomercial, isn't it?"

Umm... yes.

Just my opinion but I just want them to get back in the studio. I have zero interest in this. Another live Maiden album? Yawn. Sign Of The Cross live sounded arbitrary. Bruce's vocals were not good, imo. He's my favourite vocalist and great in person, running about and stuff, but often sounds pants on live recordings.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4798 on: November 20, 2020, 04:16:31 AM »

Umm... yes.

Just my opinion but I just want them to get back in the studio. I have zero interest in this. Another live Maiden album? Yawn. Sign Of The Cross live sounded arbitrary. Bruce's vocals were not good, imo. He's my favourite vocalist and great in person, running about and stuff, but often sounds pants on live recordings.

His vocals on Aces High truthfully has made me consider skipping this release.  First one ever.  The last one I only listened to once anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4799 on: November 20, 2020, 08:23:49 AM »

Umm... yes.

You mean you want Bruce to stand still and just sing instead of running around, and jumping, waving flags, and all that fun stuff. I can see, the reason he does that now is because he knows his voice is ageing.

Honestly, I never cared for Iron Maidens live vocals, recently, The show is about seeing Iron Maiden live as an entity, and I understand the vocals are the instrument that ages with time.

Also, Bands have schedules that are ahead about 2 years. Covid-19, messed up those plans, and many bands now have the freedom to record. Iron Maiden didn't as their schedule right now is the Live Album. Now they may go into the studio to record, as I am sure they are not holding out for future tour dates.

Edit: I want to let you guys know...My live vocal expectations are extremely low, for any band. The reason being I know how hard it is to keep vocals in shape, and how hard it is to keep it from getting tired throughout the tour. It's why the middle of the tours, are usually, the best shows. The band worked out all the kinks, and the vocalist has had time to warm-up and get a feel for the set, with the audience involved. It's why some vocalists, let the audience sing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4800 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
You guys saw a different show than I did.   None of it was "record perfect", but it never is. But I thought Bruce sang his boobies off.  I thought he sounded really good, and was one of the high points of the show.  Flight Of Icarus was strong, and the version of The Number Of The Beast was one of the top two or three "moments" of any of the multiple times I've seen Maiden.  Bruce NAILED it, and the building was literally SHAKING.

I don't know if I'll buy this CD or not - maybe if I can get a deal - but it won't be because of Bruce's vocals.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4801 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
There was a rumor floating around that they already recorded an album since Shirley and Maiden were spotted last year (IIRC) in France at a studio.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-is-rumored-to-have-completed-work-on-new-studio-album/

It might not be all complete but certainly maybe they are putting the finishing touches.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4802 on: November 20, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
I believe the masterplan was to finish the tour this year, and then maybe already this september come out with a new single, if not album.

The way they organized the 2021 tour seem made in a way to "get out of the way" the LOTB tour dates and then go straight into a new album promotion, maybe taking advantage of the different emispheres and therefore touring South America when it's summer there (or something like that).

As much as I was egoistically looking forward to see again the LOTB tour, especially in an arena U-shaped with a steep hill from which I could *SEE* everything, I'd say they should cut their losses and come out with a new album.

They've lost a year, probably two, of their twilight years, just release new music when you're all still healthy and fit.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4803 on: November 20, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »
You guys saw a different show than I did.

Actually, I didn't  :biggrin:

But honestly, I'm not buying it and don't even care to listen to it.  Seems like they fucked this release up by not properly doing a video for it.  This NEEDED a video.  Only FTGGOD hasnt been on another live release and I specifically went out to record that myself  :lol so I have audio and video of the only interesting song from an live cd release perspective.  If they had a blu-ray, I'd be sooo pumped to buy it.  Instead, it's the first IM release since I've been a fan that I am not only skipping, I have little interest to even stream it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4804 on: November 20, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »
There was a rumor floating around that they already recorded an album since Shirley and Maiden were spotted last year (IIRC) in France at a studio.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-is-rumored-to-have-completed-work-on-new-studio-album/

It might not be all complete but certainly maybe they are putting the finishing touches.

A friend of mine is good friends with Maiden's official photographer, and he says it's 100% done. Their initial idea was to announce it next January, but this is now postponed for obvious reasons.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4805 on: November 20, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »

I keep seeing this post and seeing "Shirley Manson".  I have to admit; I'd find a Shirley Manson/Iron Maiden collab interesting.   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4806 on: November 20, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »

<--------

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4807 on: November 20, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »

A friend of mine is good friends with Maiden's official photographer, and he says it's 100% done. Their initial idea was to announce it next January, but this is now postponed for obvious reasons.

Sweet! Maybe it makes better sense to release it in the fall and then tour again in Jan/Feb 2022 and onward. Don't think their will be a spring release just because they are still touring with the LOTB tour. We'll see but I'm excited. This could possibly be Maiden's last studio album. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4808 on: November 20, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
You guys saw a different show than I did.   None of it was "record perfect", but it never is. But I thought Bruce sang his boobies off.  I thought he sounded really good, and was one of the high points of the show.  Flight Of Icarus was strong, and the version of The Number Of The Beast was one of the top two or three "moments" of any of the multiple times I've seen Maiden.  Bruce NAILED it, and the building was literally SHAKING.

I don't know if I'll buy this CD or not - maybe if I can get a deal - but it won't be because of Bruce's vocals.

His vocals were fantastic at my show too. What I meant was I don't expect the vocals to be the best, as I used to when I first saw Maiden. So, when Bruce did Flight of Icarus, and The Clansman, it was fucking epic.

I'll probably buy it because of the setlist. But, I'll probably just listen to it first. I only have Rock In Rio, as I like that set and song choices. Plus, it has a specialty of being the tour when Bruce and Adrian returned, so there's that energy added to the Rock in Rio crowd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4809 on: November 20, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
I don't mind what Bruce does. I'd much rather Janick stood still. I'm not a fan of live rock and metal recordings generally, mainly as the vocals don't work for me. Has no bearing on me attending shows. I mainly think "you had to be there".

Great news. Let's hope they bring it forward. No-one's going to be going to arena shows in 2021 anyway.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4810 on: November 20, 2020, 04:28:47 PM »
No-one's going to be going to arena shows in 2021 anyway.

I've been a negative nancy on the covid front in terms of starting stuff back up, but with vaccine news, I could see concerts coming back second half of 2021.  It seems locally there's going to be a hard push to get most of the state vaccinated before summer 2021.  It might allow concerts to start back up.  We will see.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4811 on: November 20, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »
Have not listened to an iota of this. I got it today, and will put it on. I went to two shows on this tour, and Bruce sounded fucking amazing. Singers have off nights. Singers who run around liked a crazed maniac and are senior citizens to boot may have even more off nights.

There are some singers who can't get away with that because they just stand there and try to capture the audience's attention with their voice --- that's their job, and that's okay. But that isn't Bruce. Bruce owns you, and goes all out to do so. So, if he is off, vocally, on this, whatever. He gets a pass. UP THE IRONS.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4812 on: November 20, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »

Yeah, there's been a year's long thread over at Maidenfans on it. Not sure why they are insisting on keeping the Legacy tour going, especially after such a long layoff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4813 on: November 20, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »

Yeah, there's been a year's long thread over at Maidenfans on it. Not sure why they are insisting on keeping the Legacy tour going, especially after such a long layoff.

This.  They ain't getting any younger.  Get the album out and do a tour for that instead.  Fuck the Legacy tour.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4814 on: November 20, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
Depends on how they want to spend their "golden" working years. What is more important? Producing more material, or playing in front of more fans? I would not presume to say for myself. I know my preference, but they have earned the right to determine their path.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4815 on: November 21, 2020, 12:40:44 AM »
Depends on how they want to spend their "golden" working years. What is more important? Producing more material, or playing in front of more fans? I would not presume to say for myself. I know my preference, but they have earned the right to determine their path.

Definitely, but if the album is done, they can still play to fans all the same.  We just have another new album to enjoy also.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4816 on: November 21, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
Speaking of the new album rumours, I saw a mention on a FB fanpage that someone spotted a writing on a wall on the poster, which goes WOTW, and that wasn't in the first version of the poster. Someone suggested that, since no nuggetz in Maiden artwork is left to chance, that it was a hint about a new song that might have been premiered on the never-happened 2020 tour (War of the Worlds? Whispers of the Wind? Where Owls Try Waffles?), given the way the set is structured I could see an hypotethical new song replacing The Evil that Men Do as first encore song.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4817 on: November 21, 2020, 06:31:05 AM »
Where Owls Try Waffles please
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4818 on: November 21, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4819 on: November 21, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
I wonder if "Writing on the Wall" could be the new album title. They aren't getting any younger.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4820 on: November 21, 2020, 10:50:40 AM »
I wonder if "Writing on the Wall" could be the new album title. They aren't getting any younger.

It would be funny if people would be overheat their brains trying to guess what the writing on the wall means, while it would turn out to ACTUALLY be "Writing on the Wall"  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4822 on: November 22, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »
Maybe it's Will o the wisp?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4823 on: November 26, 2020, 11:52:37 AM »
This video is proof of how good Clive Burr was. He kicks so much ass here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb8Jo11uGo

And that guitar solo is too good!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4824 on: November 26, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »

Any love for Clive is an insta like from me!

I'll add Murders In The Rue Morgue from Beast over Hammersmith as a contender.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4825 on: November 26, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »

That whole Hammersmith show is so good.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4826 on: November 26, 2020, 11:57:01 PM »
Yeah, Clive was so great. Amazing vibe.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4827 on: November 29, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
Heard The Book of Souls Live Chapter album after ages and it's always good to hear Maiden live. I'm doing something I don't think I've ever done before and just listening to their live albums only. Listening to Death on the Road now and it sounds so much better than the Book of Souls live album mix-wise. Then noticed that Kevin Shirley wasn't involved which kinda explains the big difference in the live sound mix.
I'ts not bad it's just soo distant.

Hope the new one in Mexico City sounds better.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4828 on: November 29, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »

Umm... yes.

His vocals on Aces High truthfully has made me consider skipping this release.  First one ever.  The last one I only listened to once anyway.

......aaaaaaaand I saw this on the weekend and picked it up.  :facepalm:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4829 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »
I'm doing something I don't think I've ever done before and just listening to their live albums only.

When done please post a quick synopsis/review with your rankings. Would enjoy reading your thoughts.