Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570021 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4760 on: October 01, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
Officially announced! new Maiden live album recorded in Mexico!!!

https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/iron-maiden-live-album-coming-november-20th

Their most spectacular, theatrical and scenic tour ever....... and they release the audio from it. Sounds legit.  ::)

(But I believe the rationale is "if people can watch it from their living room they won't come to watch it in person next year").
Again, they didn't film it. I've got no reason to doubt that this release was a "spur of the moment" thing. And as I think back, they didn't have their own video working because it was, as Maiden always does, traditional backdrops. CDMX gave them a good opportunity for a live album as there were three shows to pull from. That said, it does seem odd that they didn't plan on filming any show from the tour. Perhaps they were waiting for one of the later European gigs, or Oz.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4761 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24:17 AM »
Yeah, not visually documenting THIS tour out of all tours is insane. Even for posterity, we all know that the day Maiden will retire will NOT be the day Maiden releases will end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4762 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
What a beautiful cover! And yes, I hope Maiden releases a blu-ray from this tour in the future.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #4763 on: October 01, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Wonderful, wonderful news. I had some pretty severe health problems last year, which disrupted a lot of things in my life. One of the disappointments from that was that I wasn't able to see this tour, which I badly wanted to see, especially since they played both Sign of the Cross and For the Greater Good of God, both rarities and top 10 Maiden songs for me. And Revelations, also top 10. And The Clansman, the song that got me into metal. Man, I forgot how stacked this setlist was. Really looking forward to this release.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4764 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:32 AM »
Wonderful, wonderful news. I had some pretty severe health problems last year, which disrupted a lot of things in my life. One of the disappointments from that was that I wasn't able to see this tour, which I badly wanted to see, especially since they played both Sign of the Cross and For the Greater Good of God, both rarities and top 10 Maiden songs for me. And Revelations, also top 10. And The Clansman, the song that got me into metal. Man, I forgot how stacked this setlist was. Really looking forward to this release.
One of the odd things about releasing this run of shows is that the songs you mentioned didn't go over so well in CDMX. It was kind of apparent that the Mexicans weren't very knowledgeable of the Blaze stuff and the newer stuff. They weren't quiet, by any means. There was a noticeable dropoff from the more well known songs, though. In other places those were highlights. Certainly for me, at least.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4765 on: October 01, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
Dang, I'm more interested in a Blu-Ray or 4k release.

Offline 425

« Reply #4766 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »
One of the odd things about releasing this run of shows is that the songs you mentioned didn't go over so well in CDMX. It was kind of apparent that the Mexicans weren't very knowledgeable of the Blaze stuff and the newer stuff. They weren't quiet, by any means. There was a noticeable dropoff from the more well known songs, though. In other places those were highlights. Certainly for me, at least.

Huh, that seems to make this a strange choice, then. Still, I'd buy a recording of them playing those songs to an empty auditorium, so I doubt I'll be too badly disappointed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4767 on: October 01, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »

It was weird in Hartford (and Marc can weigh in; he was there).   For me, Sign Of The Cross was a highlight, but it was a visual and sensory highlight, not really a musical one.  MUSICALLY, the place went INSANE for Number Of The Beast.  I can't name too many more experiences like the energy I felt during that song in that show.  We were in a shed, which is a sterile place to see a show, relatively, and yet it was electric during that song.  I can only imagine what that was like in South America.   

Sidebar, only remotely relevant, but I was watching Pearl Jam's Live At The Garden DVD, and after "Do The Evolution", a roadie came out on the stage and told Eddie that only three other bands have shaken the entire building like that:  Bruce, The Dead, and Iron Maiden, and McCready broke out a little "Number Of The Beast".   Further sidebar, I was there for Harry Styles, and those teenage girls actually made the place shake too.  Uncomfortable feeling.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4768 on: October 01, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Like I said, they weren't quiet or subdued by any means. I suppose compared to US crowds they were still a lot more lively. Like Stadler said, just nowhere near how excited they were for Trooper or Number or something. This was night 3, the show I caught. You're not going to get that kind of energy in Dallas, but from down in the middle of it it almost seemed like a respite from Midnight or Trooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lbh2aOpgyE
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4769 on: October 01, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »
Like I said, they weren't quiet or subdued by any means. I suppose compared to US crowds they were still a lot more lively. Like Stadler said, just nowhere near how excited they were for Trooper or Number or something. This was night 3, the show I caught. You're not going to get that kind of energy in Dallas, but from down in the middle of it it almost seemed like a respite from Midnight or Trooper.

Besides getting to hear Flight of Icarus (My childhood Maiden song), The Clansman was the highlight of the show for me. Surprisingly, our show had good participation for that song, was great too actually hear a loud "FREEDOOOM" from the crowd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4770 on: October 01, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
A little update from Bruce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voG5iJTpPpo&ab_channel=IronMaiden

So cool. Feeling slightly down today. Just listening to Bruce's reassurances lifted my spirits considerably. I feel much better. Thank you Bruce! And thanks to you sir for posting this.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4771 on: October 01, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
Maybe i'm the grumpy one but I feel like Maiden keeps releasing the same live album every 2 years or so with like 3-4 songs switched around, but even then they're not exactly deep cuts or anything. I guess I can't blame them for playing it safe and playing the same classics on every tour but part of me wishes they would have been a bit more ballsy with the setlists. At the very least if you wanna release a live show you can make the setlist for that one a bit more interesting imo. :p

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4772 on: October 01, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »

I saw you!    :)

Were there really 60,000 people there?  It's hard to tell even with the pan back.   

This is as long as I've ever gone without a concert and I watched that and was almost salivating. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4773 on: October 01, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »
Maybe i'm the grumpy one but I feel like Maiden keeps releasing the same live album every 2 years or so with like 3-4 songs switched around, but even then they're not exactly deep cuts or anything. I guess I can't blame them for playing it safe and playing the same classics on every tour but part of me wishes they would have been a bit more ballsy with the setlists. At the very least if you wanna release a live show you can make the setlist for that one a bit more interesting imo. :p

Well, it would require them to do something like Rush or Devin, and make the CD be the event itself, rather than the documentary of the 'tour'. 

I am of two minds.  I understand that idea that they are 40 years in, they can start playing "Still Life" or "Prodigal Son" now and again, but after the last tour, where THE single biggest reaction was for the song that is the second-most played song in their entire catalogue, it sort of dawned on me that they're not going to change, and I'm not sure I want them to.  The event is the moment, and even though I've witnessed Bruce do that scream more times than I can count, it still gave me chills in person (especially knowing what I know about Bruce over the two years or so before).   Other than the "album" vs. the "legacy" tours they do (I've seen both) I know what I'm going to get and I go.  Maiden is probably the only "must see, each tour" band I listen to anymore and it's because for two hours I'm going to get blown away.   I'd hate to trade that for a CD that is already only half the experience.   

Not saying you're wrong, just offering a different approach.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4774 on: October 01, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »

Well, it would require them to do something like Rush or Devin, and make the CD be the event itself, rather than the documentary of the 'tour'. 

I am of two minds.  I understand that idea that they are 40 years in, they can start playing "Still Life" or "Prodigal Son" now and again, but after the last tour, where THE single biggest reaction was for the song that is the second-most played song in their entire catalogue, it sort of dawned on me that they're not going to change, and I'm not sure I want them to.  The event is the moment, and even though I've witnessed Bruce do that scream more times than I can count, it still gave me chills in person (especially knowing what I know about Bruce over the two years or so before).   Other than the "album" vs. the "legacy" tours they do (I've seen both) I know what I'm going to get and I go.  Maiden is probably the only "must see, each tour" band I listen to anymore and it's because for two hours I'm going to get blown away.   I'd hate to trade that for a CD that is already only half the experience.   

Not saying you're wrong, just offering a different approach.

It's a valid point. I remember a while ago reading an interview with a musician about song selection (I forget who it was) and basically he made the point "Every show is some fan's first live experience of seeing us, and by not playing certain songs we might rob them of the experience that other fans have had for years". And I think you gotta take that into consideration. For some fans, it's their 58th time seeing Iron Maiden and they are hoping to get a deep cut Blaze-era song like The Aftermath or maybe for Maiden to finally bust out Alexander the Great, but then you got some kid who just got into the band who really wants to hear Run to the Hills or Number of the Beast because he hasn't experienced those live.

You can't really please everyone yet I still feel Maiden lean a bit too much on the 'safe' side. :p I feel like they could easily play a show that's 1/3 hit songs, 1/3 classics-but-not-always-played (so songs you might get every other or every third tour that rotates) and 1/3 deep cuts/surprises that you won't expect. But I know it's mostly just wishful thinking on my end. :)

Offline 425

« Reply #4775 on: October 01, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »

I don't really see this? Their last live album was in 2017, and that was very different from this one because it was 1/3 Book of Souls songs. The last one before that was in 2012 (I don't count Maiden England, because that was mostly just a re-release), which was 1/3 The Final Frontier songs. This one has several deep cuts, including some that have been on live albums before, like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman, but hardly ones they regularly release.

There are artists that I would say pump out live albums maybe a little too frequently—most Mike Portnoy projects would apply here. But with how good Maiden is live, and with genuine variation in their setlists (I get not as much as some would like, but they would also have a riot on their hands if they cut all of Beast, Fear, Trooper, 2MTM and Hallowed), I think this is just the right frequency for live releases. Three very different ones in 10 years.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4776 on: October 01, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
Actually it's the core of staples that never changes. If you go to see them tour after your, you do get a rarity here and there and a different set each time.

Sure, the "rarity" is still a moderately famous song, and not a tune that not even the band members remember anymore but the hardcore fan knows from memory. And sure, here and there you'll find head scratching choices (Why always bringing back Wrathchild? why no Still Life for Maiden England? why no 22 Acacia Avenue for the early days?), but in the long run, you notice the diversity in the setlists.

I mean - you go to a show, you get The Trooper, The Number of the Beast and 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Wrathchild if you're unlucky  :D you go to see them some times over the course of 2008-2014, you get to see Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, The Prisoner and Phantom of the Opera. Without counting the best songs from the new album they happen to throw in.

And as Stadler pointed out, there's no going around it, it's always those same songs that get the biggest reaction. At my show in Italy Sign of the Cross and ESPECIALLY The Clansman went down very well, but the earth-shaking, the-walls-are-coming-down roars will always be reserved for The Trooper, The Number of the Beast and Fear of the Dark.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4777 on: October 01, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »

Were there really 60,000 people there?  It's hard to tell even with the pan back.   

This is as long as I've ever gone without a concert and I watched that and was almost salivating.
Where'd you get 60k? Official capacity is 26k, but that wouldn't be for an end stage layout. The article said 70k, and twenty three and a half would be just about right over 3 nights. The video is misleading because there aren't a ton of seats in the balconies, and the surface area isn't as great as a typical US arena. It's also circular instead of the more commonplace ovals for US sports. Across the street is the Foro Sol, and that's good for 55k. A popular band plays one night there or three nights in the sports palace (or multiples thereof).
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4778 on: October 01, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »
Actually it's the core of staples that never changes. If you go to see them tour after your, you do get a rarity here and there and a different set each time.

Sure, the "rarity" is still a moderately famous song, and not a tune that not even the band members remember anymore but the hardcore fan knows from memory. And sure, here and there you'll find head scratching choices (Why always bringing back Wrathchild? why no Still Life for Maiden England? why no 22 Acacia Avenue for the early days?), but in the long run, you notice the diversity in the setlists.

I mean - you go to a show, you get The Trooper, The Number of the Beast and 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Wrathchild if you're unlucky  :D you go to see them some times over the course of 2008-2014, you get to see Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, The Prisoner and Phantom of the Opera. Without counting the best songs from the new album they happen to throw in.

And as Stadler pointed out, there's no going around it, it's always those same songs that get the biggest reaction. At my show in Italy Sign of the Cross and ESPECIALLY The Clansman went down very well, but the earth-shaking, the-walls-are-coming-down roars will always be reserved for The Trooper, The Number of the Beast and Fear of the Dark.

Honestly, this. I'm in the "play some weird shit" camp, but I understand why they do what they do. I think part of their problem is that they've decided to never play a song that wasn't played on it's album's tour. We're therefore necessarily limited to what they can pull from. It's all relative, but really Eagles, Clansman, Cross, and Greater all qualified as deep cuts by Maiden standards. I was thrilled with the setlist, despite never wanting to hear Iron Maiden again.

Also, they've demonstrated a few times that they pay attention to fan reactions in picking their setlists, and they have made changes midstream before. I got to see BtaTS on the first night in Dallas, and because they didn't think it went over well they swapped it with, sigh, Wrathchild. If they don't think a crowd is getting it they won't play a song.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4779 on: October 01, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »

Where'd you get 60k? Official capacity is 26k, but that wouldn't be for an end stage layout. The article said 70k, and twenty three and a half would be just about right over 3 nights. The video is misleading because there aren't a ton of seats in the balconies, and the surface area isn't as great as a typical US arena. It's also circular instead of the more commonplace ovals for US sports. Across the street is the Foro Sol, and that's good for 55k. A popular band plays one night there or three nights in the sports palace (or multiples thereof).

I thought Bruce said that at the start of the video - "66,000 people ...  or is it 6-6-6 thousand...." but I guess he meant over the three nights.  That makes more sense.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4780 on: October 01, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »

Honestly, this. I'm in the "play some weird shit" camp, but I understand why they do what they do. I think part of their problem is that they've decided to never play a song that wasn't played on it's album's tour. We're therefore necessarily limited to what they can pull from. It's all relative, but really Eagles, Clansman, Cross, and Greater all qualified as deep cuts by Maiden standards. I was thrilled with the setlist, despite never wanting to hear Iron Maiden again.

Also, they've demonstrated a few times that they pay attention to fan reactions in picking their setlists, and they have made changes midstream before. I got to see BtaTS on the first night in Dallas, and because they didn't think it went over well they swapped it with, sigh, Wrathchild. If they don't think a crowd is getting it they won't play a song.

And for me, the alternating "Legacy" and "Album" tours is a fucking KILLER idea.   No pun intended.   I would be thrilled if Kiss did that (though let's be honest; VERY few bands are still putting out legit canonical music on such a regular basis as Maiden.  I've said before that I've been here since the beginning, and I'm at the point that I might like the NEW stuff better than the classic period.)

Sad day that Killers is one of my favorite classic Maiden records and they only seem to play Wrathchild, my least favorite song on the record.  :) :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4781 on: October 01, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
I hate saying this, but I don't really have much interest in this live CD, now if it were a blu-ray, just take my money.  But these songs are almost all on live albums already, I'll probably get it because IM are my favorite band, but I'm not excited as I could be if they gave this a proper visual release because the visuals MADE this tour so awesome. 

And I'll agree with some others are saying, the Blaze and AMOLAD songs didn't get the crazy reaction from the crowd at the three shows I went to, but those were my favorites and I'm glad they played them.  If they had a video of them, it would likely replace the RiR versions as my visual go to.  I guess I'll just have to keep watching my own live videos of those songs

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4782 on: October 01, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
No DVD of this one again is very disappointing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4783 on: October 01, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »
I would definitely buy the video, but honestly, I really don't watch any of my concert DVDs. I am definitely more inclined to listen to the CD though, be it in my car or doing whatever.

That said, I'm pumped for this album!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4784 on: October 01, 2020, 07:48:24 PM »
I would definitely buy the video, but honestly, I really don't watch any of my concert DVDs. I am definitely more inclined to listen to the CD though, be it in my car or doing whatever.

This.  Even though it's disappointing there's no video, I too have completely just gone off watching concert DVD's.  I don't have time and just find myself not even reaching for any of them.

Even the last Helloween one, I didn't even buy as I knew I wouldn't sit down and watch it. 

I do hope this new Maiden one has a nice mix though.  I found the Book of Souls live album tour cd sounded like shit.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4785 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »
I think every live DVD I’ve ever bought, I rarely watched more than once

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4786 on: October 02, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »

I've taken to ripping my DVDs to my harddrive.   Very often the CDs are compilations of multiple shows, and the DVD is one show (or a different set of multiple shows).   Live After Death, Kiss Alive III, The Song Remains The Same, and Pink Floyd's Pulse are all like that. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4788 on: October 02, 2020, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4789 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »
I think every live DVD I’ve ever bought, I rarely watched more than once
I'm the opposite. I'm far more likely to put a concert on while working at home than I am just an album. Every weekend I subject the neighbor girl to a concert or two of good music (her music sucks).
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4790 on: October 02, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »
I hardly listen to live albums anymore other then new releases but the videos I go back to. Especially well done blu rays with surround sound. I have a nice set up in my man cave to watch these so its very enjoyable, but also I watch when I work out too.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4791 on: October 05, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
I can't remember the last time I watched a concert DVD.   This entire band is made up of millionaires so I don't feel even a tiny bit of guilt as a life-long fan who has been a fan since the release of the first album, about not spending more money to hear yet another live version of ___________________ <--insert any track from their live shows here.

Besides, I've lost track of how many times I've seen them live.  A new album would be far, far more exciting. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4792 on: October 05, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Aces High / Live from Mexico City:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5yHI3075OQ&list=OLAK5uy_lwJFwcF_suRIJLp-_EzDqPq3JTLzWmSQM

Props to Bruce as always, but jeez, he doesn't sound good here.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #4793 on: October 05, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to deny that Aces High is a tough song for anyone to sing, but yes Bruce is definitely struggling a bit here. I think its only some of his signature inflections/sounds in his voice that save him - some of the wailing is a fair way off....however, absolutely love Bruce - greatest frontman of all time for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4794 on: October 05, 2020, 10:49:52 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to deny that Aces High is a tough song for anyone to sing, but yes Bruce is definitely struggling a bit here. I think its only some of his signature inflections/sounds in his voice that save him - some of the wailing is a fair way off....however, absolutely love Bruce - greatest frontman of all time for me.

He's probably my number one musician over any guitarist....maybe, but yeah, I think it just would be time to retire songs like Aces High or I just wish 'Arry wasn't so stubborn and started tuning down for him.  We know he didn't budge with Blaze, but surely this long into Bruce's career, his age and what he's been through, you'd have to look at compromising.  No one would think any less of either of them if they started tuning down live.