Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571673 times)

Online faizoff

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4585 on: May 21, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
For me until Book of Souls each new reunion album was ranked the same order of release. so I'd always rank them in order of release except for Book of Souls that I like better than TFF and AMOLAD. Going through my renewed listen of the reunion albums I might rank them very differently now as I'm loving AMOLAD a lot more as a whole than DoD.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4586 on: May 21, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »
TBOS is interesting and I'm not sure where I would rank it.  When it was released I loved it but out of all the reunion albums, I think this one has aged the worst.  The novelty wore off a lot quicker than I expected with this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4587 on: May 21, 2020, 09:37:23 PM »
Just to add something about TFF that I find surprising that it’s almost never brought up: the cover is amazing!!! My 5th favourite (Powerslave, LAD, SiT and 7th Son remain untouchable IMO).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #4588 on: May 22, 2020, 12:27:43 AM »
Regarding TFF, It is my personal favorite Reunion Era album. I'm fine declaring that AMOLAD is the signature Reunion Era album, but I find TFF warmer to me. I've written about this many times before here. From BNW through AMOLAD, I liked each new album a bit more than the previous one. I never thought they could top AMOLAD.  I find musically TFF is on par with AMOLAD, and I just like the songs a bit more.
The Book Of Souls is the first time in the Reunion Era that I felt an album didn't live up to the previous one.

I'd almost agree with this—the only difference is that I think I'd put BNW slightly ahead of DoD.

Like wolfking, I have a hard time ranking The Book of Souls, although it's safe to say I'd place it below AMOLAD and TFF. There's not anything I specifically find wrong with TBoS, I just don't think it's operating at as high a level. The title track and If Eternity Should Fail are the only ones I'd feel completely confident putting up next to the top half of the previous four albums. It's a pretty consistent album; there's not a bad song on there (although I'm not over the moon about Death or Glory, which feels sort of like a strange quasi-throwback to the No Prayer era). But the overall quality just doesn't feel as high as on the previous two releases at least, and probably the previous four.

Just to add something about TFF that I find surprising that it’s almost never brought up: the cover is amazing!!! My 5th favourite (Powerslave, LAD, SiT and 7th Son remain untouchable IMO).

This is a good point. It's definitely the best cover post-BNW, which itself was the best since Seventh Son upon release. AMOLAD and TBOS had pretty mediocre art, and I've already commented on DoD.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4589 on: May 22, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »
Having gone through a pretty intense Maiden period a couple months ago, the reunion albums are pretty fresh.  I know for me, for a long time I thought that - except for AMOLAD - each subsequent album was better than the one before.  Now, for me, it seems that the best one is the one I listened to most recently.  I got En Vivo! last weekend and went back to refresh on TFF studio tracks, and man, I love that album.  It's not as dense as AMOLAD, but with more substance and intricacy than BNW.   

It changes from moment to moment, but this is where I am now:

The Final Frontier
Dance Of Death
Book Of Souls
AMOLAD
Brave New World

That's a relative order though; it took a long time, but seeing "For the Greater Good of God" live, then relistening a couple times over the past couple months, AMOLAD really clicked.   So being fourth on THAT list, isn't a bad think at all.  The only album I don't go to much is BNW. 

Offline 425

« Reply #4590 on: May 23, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
Would there be interest in a thread where people took turns doing lists of top 50 (or top xx) Iron Maiden songs? Inspired by the recent activity in this topic, I've been assembling a list of my own, and it's made me realize that there are a lot of different ways one could go with a ranking and at least make a convincing argument for it. Could be pretty interesting to see what different people come up with.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4591 on: May 23, 2020, 06:27:34 PM »
Managed to squeeze in Dance of Death today when cleaning the kitchen. Did not remember it like that at all. It was my least favorite Maiden album from the reunion era. I disliked at least half the album. But man, might be the best reunion era album. Seems like everything clicked. Not sure why I didn't like it at first. Still can't pinpoint the reason.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4592 on: May 23, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
For me

AMOLAD
Book of Souls
Final Frontier
Dance of Death
Brave New World

BoS and FF are almost a tie. I think I swapped those two back and forth 3 or 4 times before I made up my mind. And BNW is by far my least favorite. Blood Brothers, OOTSP, and the title track start to feel like water torture after awhile.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4593 on: May 23, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
The Death On The Road version of Brave New World is awesome though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4594 on: May 23, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »
Managed to squeeze in Dance of Death today when cleaning the kitchen. Did not remember it like that at all. It was my least favorite Maiden album from the reunion era. I disliked at least half the album. But man, might be the best reunion era album. Seems like everything clicked. Not sure why I didn't like it at first. Still can't pinpoint the reason.

Thank you. Listening to Dance Of Death now. I love the album anyway.

You must've had a dirty kitchen. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4595 on: May 23, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
Does anyone else think of Van Halen's Little Guitars when Gates Of Tomorrow starts?

And the pre-chorus to New Frontier is very similar to the prechorus of Michael Kiske's New Horizons, which also included Adrian Smith.

Offline 425

« Reply #4596 on: May 23, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
I think of Iron Maiden's Lord of the Flies when Gates of Tomorrow starts!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4597 on: May 23, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »

Thank you. Listening to Dance Of Death now. I love the album anyway.

You must've had a dirty kitchen. :lol

:rollin :rollin

Let's just say my wife dislikes the way I cook (but loves the food). To her credit, it does look like a warzone after I'm done.

The "No More Lies" chorus has too many "No More Lies" lines but that's the only weakness I can find on the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4598 on: May 23, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
Face In The Sand 4:15-4:50  :metal

Age Of Innocence 4:10-4:24  :metal
Most of Age Of Innocence has a total TXF feel to it. Not the chorus though.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4599 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
Face In The Sand 4:15-4:50  :metal Indeed
Also I think this song should began from the 0:33 mark onwards. That part as the real intro would be awesome (and stronger IMO)! That David Gilmour guitar on 1:12 is fantastic also.

Age Of Innocence 4:10-4:24  :metal Incredible... why they don't return to this part one more time on the song? It's so good!
Most of Age Of Innocence has a total TXF feel to it. Not the chorus though.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4600 on: May 24, 2020, 03:37:07 AM »
Age Of Innocence 4:10-4:24  :metal
Is that the "You can't protect yourself even in your own home" section? I've always though that section is wicked in terms of rhythm and vocal performance. Brilliant and unique.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4601 on: May 24, 2020, 04:13:20 AM »
Would there be interest in a thread where people took turns doing lists of top 50 (or top xx) Iron Maiden songs? Inspired by the recent activity in this topic, I've been assembling a list of my own, and it's made me realize that there are a lot of different ways one could go with a ranking and at least make a convincing argument for it. Could be pretty interesting to see what different people come up with.

Go for it mate.  I'd have a crack too.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4602 on: May 24, 2020, 04:40:25 AM »

I know some of us did a Top 25 Maiden Songs list way back in 2012/2013, but I'd be game for a revisit personally!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4603 on: May 24, 2020, 04:42:40 AM »

I know some of us did a Top 25 Maiden Songs list way back in 2012/2013, but I'd be game for a revisit personally!

That's right.  I remember the Bruce Dickinson lists we did, but do remember the Maiden ones vaguely.  Happy to have another crack.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4604 on: May 24, 2020, 04:50:25 AM »

That's right.  I remember the Bruce Dickinson lists we did, but do remember the Maiden ones vaguely.  Happy to have another crack.

Yeah, I barely remember my old list. I'm quite confident mine would wind up being very different this go around. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4605 on: May 24, 2020, 04:59:23 AM »

Yeah, I barely remember my old list. I'm quite confident mine would wind up being very different this go around. :lol

I'd love to do one, then go back and find the old one and see how it compares.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4606 on: May 24, 2020, 05:08:33 AM »

Yeah, same. I just tried to find the old thread and couldn't spot it personally. I do know that my old list was heavily impacted by The X Factor suddenly clicking for me in a big way like a month before I did it, so I'd wager that changes a lot this time around. Still really like that album, but it's since mellowed a wee bit to where I think I can appreciate TXF for its strengths and weaknesses overall.

Also I'm pretty confident Phantom of the Opera will be a lot higher than it was last time. Easily one of the band's finest epics ever, especially when Bruce sings it live. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4607 on: May 24, 2020, 05:10:12 AM »

Yeah, same. I just tried to find the old thread and couldn't spot it personally. I do know that my old list was heavily impacted by The X Factor suddenly clicking for me in a big way like a month before I did it, so I'd wager that changes a lot this time around. Still really like that album, but it's since mellowed a wee bit to where I think I can appreciate TXF for its strengths and weaknesses overall.

Also I'm pretty confident Phantom of the Opera will be a lot higher than it was last time. Easily one of the band's finest epics ever, especially when Bruce sings it live. :metal

Many around here know TXF is my fav Maiden album.  It's beautiful.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4608 on: May 24, 2020, 05:13:58 AM »

Many around here know TXF is my fav Maiden album.  It's beautiful.

I'm well aware! Pretty sure that your posts at the time were partially responsible for me listening to TXF more and it ultimately clicking! It's still probably in my Top 4 or 5 Maiden albums and I know two or three songs on it are probably still going to be in my Top 10. I just wager it'd be less dominating this go around than I remember it being in my 2013 list.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4609 on: May 24, 2020, 05:15:13 AM »
Nice!  :metal

Let's do it.  425, feel free to start if you wanted to, if you are ready.  I'll start working on a list.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4610 on: May 24, 2020, 05:34:11 AM »
Nice!  :metal

Let's do it.  425, feel free to start if you wanted to, if you are ready.  I'll start working on a list.

Likewise! Going to be a blast revisiting a lot of Maiden songs I haven't heard in awhile as preparation. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline 425

« Reply #4611 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:43 AM »
Great, glad to hear you're interested! I'm still finalizing my list, but I should be ready in the next day or two. I'll start the thread then.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline DTA

« Reply #4612 on: May 24, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
I’ll put a top 50 list together...I have a feeling mine is going to vary quite a bit from most.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4613 on: May 24, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
I could probably do a list as well, maybe I did one once before but times have changed so I'd imagine even if I did, it would be a bit different now  :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4614 on: May 24, 2020, 05:03:45 PM »

Yeah I actually started it but it might be slightly different now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4615 on: May 24, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »
So..

Dream Of Mirrors

What does everyone think of this song? I rarely see it mentioned with the best songs of the Reunion Era.

Personally, I think it's cool as hell, and really quite different for them. But why don't I love it?

The live version is damned cool.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4616 on: May 24, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »
The live version of Dream of Mirrors is one of my favorite Maiden songs. The crowd brings it to the next level and gives me chills.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4617 on: May 24, 2020, 07:35:04 PM »
So..

Dream Of Mirrors

What does everyone think of this song? I rarely see it mentioned with the best songs of the Reunion Era.

Personally, I think it's cool as hell, and really quite different for them. But why don't I love it?

The live version is damned cool.

A nice piece of songwriting as usual from Janick.  The middle section is cool as hell with that old school Maiden gallop.  In that section I love that seemingly changes keys from E minor to D minor.  It's debatable if it's a key change but the b flat passing note in that Maidenesque lead melody suggests that well enough.

I do think it's a bit too long for what it needs to be as it's takes too long to get going, and I don't normally have issues with Maiden's repetitive choruses, but this one is borderline.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4618 on: May 24, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »
I don't normally have issues with Maiden's repetitive choruses, but this one is borderline.

I'm with you on this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4619 on: May 24, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »
I don't normally have issues with Maiden's repetitive choruses, but this one is borderline.

I'm with you on this.

I think because the chorus double times in the middle it makes it way more apparent.