Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557963 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4550 on: May 20, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
I guess I've never really had a problem with the way Dance Of Death sounds. My ears can't really hear it. The 2015 Remasters are on Spotify, but I compared that to what's on my iPod and I couldn't really tell the difference.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4551 on: May 20, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Question for the Maiden fans. From their entire discography, which single album (1 only) do you think has aged the best?

I know this post evolved into a s/t vs Killers thing. But it got me thinking.

Piece Of Mind has really stayed strong, as does The Number Of The Beast.

But Powerslave, to me, has really aged well. Now I'm not saying it's my favorite of the Classic Era by any stretch. But I was quite critical of it when it came out, and these days, I really enjoy it for what it is.

Consequently, Somewhere In Time, which I freaking loved when it came out, has probably aged the worst from the Classic Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4552 on: May 20, 2020, 08:25:49 PM »
I guess I've never really had a problem with the way Dance Of Death sounds. My ears can't really hear it. The 2015 Remasters are on Spotify, but I compared that to what's on my iPod and I couldn't really tell the difference.

Do you enjoy opening yourself up to fogey jokes?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4553 on: May 20, 2020, 08:37:54 PM »
Seems to be a thing lately. :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4554 on: May 20, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »
I've checked out the spotify version of the remastered DoD and compared that to my copy, the difference seems very negligible. I probably won't be able to fullly compare unless I get the CD and rip it to my desktop.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 425

« Reply #4555 on: May 20, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »
Too bad there isn't a remastered version of the DoD artwork.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4556 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:31 AM »
Too bad there isn't a remastered version of the DoD artwork.

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #4557 on: May 21, 2020, 01:33:55 AM »
To me, Dance of Death is EASILY the weakest of the reunion era. It’s one of the worst albums by them imo. Yeah you have Rainmaker, Paschendale and Journeyman, but 90% of everything else is, to me, just REALLY tough to get through. This is an album with extremely annoying and repetitive choruses, and uninteresting. I did a full listen of this album maybe like two months ago and ouch...it was rough.

As for which have aged the best, Powerslave for sure. I also really love the debut, that is a million miles better than Killers to me. Killers feels like a disc of B sides to me, whereas the debut is a borderline masterpiece.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4558 on: May 21, 2020, 02:37:10 AM »
I've always found Dance of death to be one of my favorites for the same reason it's one of people's least favorites. The songs that some fans find overwhelming or filler are for me some of the band's most underrated tunes. Montsegur, Wildest dreams, Age of innocence and Gates of tomorrow are as good as Paschendale, Journeyman, Rainmaker and the title track in my opinion.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4559 on: May 21, 2020, 02:41:28 AM »
Montsegur is one of the best songs Maiden never played live. The other ones.... eh, The Wicker Man is miles above Wildest Dream, and Gates of Tomorrow is just.... there. Age of Innocence is ok, and so Face in the Sand, another great forgotten track.

My attitute towards the album is that the highs are VERY highs, and the low are not that low at all, just middle of the road but still enjoyable. No dull or abhorrent track on this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #4560 on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:56 AM »
Anyone else feel like The Final Frontier is extremely underrated? I don’t think it’s as tightly written as AMOLAD or TBOS, but there’s some amazing tunes on there.

You have the title track, El Dorado, Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, THE TALISMAN (a top 10 IM track imo), When The Wild Wind Blows, and The Man Who Would Be King. All killer songs. It’s a very heavy, but also very melodic album. Similar to Megadeth’s Youthanasia in that regard (not that the two albums sounds alike at all lol, just similar in that they’re both heavy yet melodic). I think AMOLAD is a tighter album, but less fun and less relistenable. To me, TFF has the best replay value out of all the reuinion albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4561 on: May 21, 2020, 04:39:49 AM »
That is another fantastic album. Some of the shorter tracks aren't their best, but I think the band nailed it with the epics. The Man who would be king, Isle of Avalon, The Talisman and Wild wind are modern era masterpieces.

It's truly stunning how consistent the band has been over the last 20 years. Indeed, they haven't released that many albums, but the quality hasn't dropped.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4562 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:00 AM »
If TFF started at The Alchemist and was a 6 song album , it would be an absolute masterpice.  Ptobably could sneak Coming Home in the middle there too.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4563 on: May 21, 2020, 06:20:39 AM »
The Final Frontier is incredible. I think it gets less love because:

A) Satellite 15 is a strange intro

B) The track order is very uneven with the short songs first and long songs last

I think Satellite 15 is cool and unique for them, but I guess fans dislike when an established band actually does something different. And the tracklist could've been reordered to space out the longer tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4564 on: May 21, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
The atrocious double bass looping ruins S15.  How did they let that pass, so amateurish and poor.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4565 on: May 21, 2020, 06:30:32 AM »

B) The track order is very uneven with the short songs first and long songs last

I think Satellite 15 is cool and unique for them, but I guess fans dislike when an established band actually does something different. And the tracklist could've been reordered to space out the longer tracks.

My biggest problems with The Final Frontier is the production and Bruce's voice on some of the songs. It's one of the band's weaker efforts to "recreate the live sound in a studio" and I feel like they rushed Bruce in and out of the booth for some songs... namely Starblind (which I maintain is the best song on TFF and one of the top songs the band ever wrote).

I feel like if they'd gone for a production closer to Brave New World, let Bruce have a few more shakes at the album and incorporate the suggestions you provided here, TFF would've been a much stronger album overall. There's a lot to love there, not unlike Dance of Death.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4566 on: May 21, 2020, 06:37:44 AM »

If you rearrange the tracklist, you get more or less the same tracklist of A Matter of Life and Death. Not saying the songs are the same, but they didn't exactly stretched their horizons either.

DW = Final Frontier (energetic and uplifting roking song)
Colors = Eldorado (simple, single-ish song)
1000 suns= Mercy (brooding song about war... ok this is a stretch)
Pilgrim = Alchemist (short and fast song)
Longest day = Avalon (epic with a long buildup)
Shadows = Coming home (ballad)
Benny Breeg = Man (epic with help from Dave)
Greater Good = Wind blows (Harris solo epic and longest song of the album)
Lord flies = Starblind (oddball epic)
Legacy = Talisman (epic with an acoustic intro)

Again: this is not "proof" that they wrote the same album twice, far from it. But more or less the mindframe was similar. Glad that they shaked it up a bit for The Book of Souls.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4567 on: May 21, 2020, 06:49:41 AM »

Me as well.  I think DOD is a really great album (other than the artwork :) )
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4568 on: May 21, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »

I'm with you, boss.  I just don't hear it. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4569 on: May 21, 2020, 09:03:45 AM »
After reading about DoD in this thread, I decided to listen to it last night. I really really enjoyed it. The epic songs are some of the best Maiden have written, the short catchy ones are great and very melodic, some in between songs plus the song Nicko wrote, it's the only downer in that whole album and one which I tend skipping every time I listen to the album. It does have a cool middle section though. The ending track being an all acoustic track was something very new (well not really new but haven't been done with Bruce)  and that along with the album cover were the two big things talked about at the time is what I remember.

I was living in London at the time of this album release, and it was a great experience to see all the marketing and presence of the band and album everywhere (in the Tube, billboards, posters), IMO it was a great follow up to BNW which at the time rekindled my love for the band and made me get all the remasters that had the CD spine align and make Eddie's face. I don't remember having issues with the production at the time and while I can kinda see what issue people have with it, it sounds good with some good headphones and DAC.

I'm curious to hear how the remaster sounds but I'm going to wager the difference will be very little if I'm going by the spotify listen.
Going to queue up AMOLAD next.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 425

« Reply #4570 on: May 21, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »
My attitute towards the album is that the highs are VERY highs, and the low are not that low at all, just middle of the road but still enjoyable. No dull or abhorrent track on this.

This is how I feel about DoD. Paschendale is one of their very best songs. In addition to the title track, Rainmaker, Journeyman and Montsegur, I also very much enjoy Face in the Sand. And No More Lies, while probably the weakest of the longer reunion-era songs, is still very enjoyable in my opinion.

The Final Frontier is my very favorite Iron Maiden album. The last five songs form an incredible run, easily the best run in their discography. Starblind and The Talisman are both probably top 10 Maiden songs, and Isle of Avalon and When the Wild Wind Blows are not far behind. The first half of the album is less extraordinary, but I personally love Mother of Mercy and The Alchemist and think the others are fairly strong (certainly stronger than the short songs on DoD, or those on BNW save The Wicker Man). And I actually really enjoy Satellite 15. It makes for a really cool intro, feels thematically appropriate, and has a great performance from Bruce.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4571 on: May 21, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
Not to piss on your enjoyment of the album, but I think that The Man Who Would be King is the blandest and most boring of the reunion era epics / long songs, sorry  ;D

Where the Wild Wind Blows is great, but the problem is that it fires all its good right at the beginning. Once you go past the very memorable and hummable initial melody that explodes into a "jump along" the song kinda.... drags. It's slower and more moodier, and there's nothing as catchy and memorable as the intro. The climax is only lyrical, when you discovered the old couple killed themselves for nothing, but 3 minutes into the song, all the best things already happened.

I still like what comes after, mind you, but there's not much more to expect after the intro and the following section...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4572 on: May 21, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Funny thing, I've just listened to The Man who would be king today. It still gives me goosebumps. There are three sections with guitar harmonies, damn it! And then there's the soaring chorus, the 2112-like middle section, and not to mention that the outro is just as haunting as the intro. That's gotta be the best song on the album.  ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #4573 on: May 21, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
I know The Man Who Would Be King is not a particularly popular song, but I honestly adore it. The only reason I didn't mention it is because it just turns out to be surrounded by four superb songs that are even better than it. That instrumental section starting around 4 minutes in is wonderful.

I very much like both songs, so I don't want to denigrate one too much to benefit the other, but I have a hard time seeing No More Lies above TMWWBK. No More Lies is very much Steve Harris epic-by-numbers, complete with one of those repeat-the-title choruses. TMWWBK is distinctive with several cool sections. (I'd say it's actually the second-most distinctive song on TFF, behind Sat 15).

I think it's a fair observation to make about Maiden epics that many them have their best developments in the first few minutes. I mean, The Longest Day is this taken to the extreme, and I'd definitely also say this about the aforementioned No More Lies. I can understand thinking this about WtWWB, although I disagree. Part of it may be a matter of the extent to which a person is interested in the lyrics themselves—on this particular song, I am very interested in the lyrics and I enjoy the way the verses shift a little with each new lyrical development.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4574 on: May 21, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »

What bothers me most about S15 is that it's not its own track.  It makes no sense to lump TFF with S15 in one track IMO.  I don't have a problem with S15 as intro music for the album, it works in that context, but it sours me to not be able to just skip it and get to TFF.  I don't personally like S15, but intro music typically doesn't make me annoyed the way this does.

And I rate TFF low because it's just not terribly interesting.  There's some great songs for sure, but there's lot of rather diverse ideas that just don't resonate with me and it starts with the intro music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4575 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »
I didn't see TFF tour; I just got the En Vivo! set, and kind of dug the way the show started with "Satellite..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4576 on: May 21, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »
I didn't see TFF tour; I just got the En Vivo! set, and kind of dug the way the show started with "Satellite..."

I've got no issue with that etiher, it's fine for that purpose of being intro music, plus it works well on the En Vivo video too.  The US version of the tour didn't start with S15 if I recall because the album wasn't out yet so we only got to see El Durado.  Also, that tour had an amazing setlist that included The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg and These Colours Dont Run  :metal ... with of course Dream Theater opening

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4577 on: May 21, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »
TMWWBK definitely has the Murray vibe to it.  His songwriting is very unique and something different.  It may not be the best epic on the album but a welcome addition.  Very nice song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4578 on: May 21, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
I liked Brave New World enough when it came out. I must say I was a bit skeptical of the whole thing though. I think I held back a bit, as in the back of my mind, I could see it being a one off. Bruce was pretty much done with Iron Maiden when he left, and I considered the album and tour nothing but a big payday.

Suffice to say that when Dance Of Death was released, I was more relived than anything. Like maybe this Reunion could actually be a thing.
While I don't think the artwork is great, I must say that the color scheme is outstanding and the overall theme and original idea is really great. Plus, the band portraits might be the finest ever taken.
Musically, I just found Dance Of Death more Maiden Familiar, if you know what I mean. It was just more comfortable to me than Brave New World. This felt like Iron Maiden.

Montsegur is amazing. I think that songs kicks total ass. I highly love the Title Track, and Paschendale is obviously great. I think I like the idea of what they did with The Journeyman more than I like the actual song though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4579 on: May 21, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »
Rainmaker is awesome  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4580 on: May 21, 2020, 07:07:42 PM »
I liked Brave New World enough when it came out. I must say I was a bit skeptical of the whole thing though. I think I held back a bit, as in the back of my mind, I could see it being a one off. Bruce was pretty much done with Iron Maiden when he left, and I considered the album and tour nothing but a big payday.

Suffice to say that when Dance Of Death was released, I was more relived than anything. Like maybe this Reunion could actually be a thing.
While I don't think the artwork is great, I must say that the color scheme is outstanding and the overall theme and original idea is really great. Plus, the band portraits might be the finest ever taken.
Musically, I just found Dance Of Death more Maiden Familiar, if you know what I mean. It was just more comfortable to me than Brave New World. This felt like Iron Maiden.

Montsegur is amazing. I think that songs kicks total ass. I highly love the Title Track, and Paschendale is obviously great. I think I like the idea of what they did with The Journeyman more than I like the actual song though.

I actually always really liked the album a lot, I just hated the sound of it.  Rainmaker is possibly the best Murray song after Judas and Montsegur is indeed fantastic.  That change from E minor to E major in the chorus is awesome.  Face in the Sand is another forgotten one where it shows Nicko should have used the double bass more, great effect.  The title track is vintage Maiden.  I never really had an issue with the artwork to be honest.  It's not great of course, but I didn't think it was as horrible as most said it was.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4581 on: May 21, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Did TFF get a proper US tour? I thought we just got the modern greatest hits set with DT opening. I don't recall a tour where here where they played anything from it other than El Dorado. Personally, I think it's an improvement. I dug the setlist and thought TFF was weak.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4582 on: May 21, 2020, 07:24:18 PM »

What bothers me most about S15 is that it's not its own track.  It makes no sense to lump TFF with S15 in one track IMO.  I don't have a problem with S15 as intro music for the album, it works in that context, but it sours me to not be able to just skip it and get to TFF.  I don't personally like S15, but intro music typically doesn't make me annoyed the way this does.

And I rate TFF low because it's just not terribly interesting.  There's some great songs for sure, but there's lot of rather diverse ideas that just don't resonate with me and it starts with the intro music.

Yeah, I agree with this too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4583 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
Did TFF get a proper US tour? I thought we just got the modern greatest hits set with DT opening. I don't recall a tour where here where they played anything from it other than El Dorado. Personally, I think it's an improvement. I dug the setlist and thought TFF was weak.

No, TFF did not get a proper tour, nor did the IM/DT tour play anywhere near here. But we did get the last full US DT show on one of the off dates.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4584 on: May 21, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »
Regarding TFF, It is my personal favorite Reunion Era album. I'm fine declaring that AMOLAD is the signature Reunion Era album, but I find TFF warmer to me. I've written about this many times before here. From BNW through AMOLAD, I liked each new album a bit more than the previous one. I never thought they could top AMOLAD.  I find musically TFF is on par with AMOLAD, and I just like the songs a bit more.
The Book Of Souls is the first time in the Reunion Era that I felt an album didn't live up to the previous one.

And hell yes, S-15, which I thought was an amazing and original way to open a Maiden alum, should've definitely been its own track.
The Talisman is my favorite Reunion Era track, and Coming Home is right behind it.
Mother Of Mercy is way underrated.