Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571103 times)

Bentower, Plasmastrike and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline emtee

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4515 on: May 19, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
I have always felt that repetition--not only melodies but song construction and drum fills that are always left-to-right and very similar--are Maiden's weakness. Very rarely do they attempt to step outside their comfort zone. That's ok because many bands do the same thing but it is a recognizable trait of theirs that causes me to stop an album midway through sometimes.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4516 on: May 19, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »
My top one-two opening punch : Where Eagles Dare / Revelations

I think that's where I come out too.

Ides of March/Wrathchild and Murders in the Rue Morgue would probably be runner up.

Moonchild kicks ass, but Infinite Dreams kinda sucks.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4517 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
I love Maiden; they are and probably always will be my favorite "metal" band, and I don't really share a lot of the criticisms of the band that others have, about the repetition and such.   However, I bought En Vivo! recently and was listening in the garage to "When The Wild Wind Blows" and was immediately struck by the melodies of the guitar lines.  I also had this sort of guilty twinge of "isn't that same melody in like six other songs?"   

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4518 on: May 19, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
Repetition is really key when I ask myself why I'm so in love with the 80's material and quite lukewarm with the post-reunion one. Paradoxically, and I believe a quick glance at music transcriptions could corroborate the theory, the former is way more "repetitive" than the latter. There's a catch though: IM's songwriting in the past century featured repetition as structural variation of fixed tropes, the same way classical baroque music does, hence repetition didn't feel ... "repetitive" (sorry!), but the core of an increasingly fresh and energising system. Post reunion, always strictly imo, repetition becomes a symptom - hence giving the kind of feeling Stadler talks about above - of songwriting being expanded without real musical evolution backing it up. If you will, 00's IM soundwriting to my ears is not unleashing a band's potential, but revealing its limits, whereas creative repetition inside those limits (hell, stimulated by those limits, even) was a clear strength in the vinyl era.

Regardless, I love Iron Maiden very much  :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4519 on: May 19, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
I have always felt that repetition--not only melodies but song construction and drum fills that are always left-to-right and very similar--are Maiden's weakness. Very rarely do they attempt to step outside their comfort zone.

Agree with that first statement 100%, not so quite much with the second, at least in the re-union era they've experimented quite a bit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4520 on: May 19, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
Just going back to AMOLAD, I too always thought it was universally acclaimed or widely regarded as their 'best' reunion album among the masses.

I will say, not getting a DVD of that tour where they played the album in full was a real shitter.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #4521 on: May 19, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm really disappointed about that, too. As a result of that and the tendency to avoid AMOLAD for the most part in subsequent setlists, we actually have zero officially released live versions of songs from that album—the only Maiden album of which this is true.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4522 on: May 19, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm really disappointed about that, too. As a result of that and the tendency to avoid AMOLAD for the most part in subsequent setlists, we actually have officially released live versions of songs from that album—the only Maiden album of which this is true.

I'm guessing you mean 'don't' have official releases, but I never thought about that and you're right.  Such a damn shame.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4523 on: May 19, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Wow, that set off a firestorm of comments.  :lol

For the record, I always thought most people considered BNW tops of the reunion era by miles. And I thought that while people liked AMOLAD, they generally weren't as fond of it as others. That's why I called it underrated. Personally, I have it ranked higher than a many of the 82-92 catalog. But I thought I was in the minority, thus underrated.

Oh, and can we all agree that TAC is usually wrong?  :biggrin:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline 425

« Reply #4524 on: May 19, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm really disappointed about that, too. As a result of that and the tendency to avoid AMOLAD for the most part in subsequent setlists, we actually have officially released live versions of songs from that album—the only Maiden album of which this is true.

I'm guessing you mean 'don't' have official releases, but I never thought about that and you're right.  Such a damn shame.

Yeah, I meant to have the word "zero" in there and accidentally omitted it. And yeah, I didn't actually realize it until I thought about it just now. For some reason I had it in my head that either Breeg or Colours had made En Vivo, but nope.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4525 on: May 19, 2020, 04:53:30 PM »
I wouldn't really call AMOLAD underrated personally.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4526 on: May 19, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »

Yeah, I meant to have the word "zero" in there and accidentally omitted it. And yeah, I didn't actually realize it until I thought about it just now. For some reason I had it in my head that either Breeg or Colours had made En Vivo, but nope.

A shame the band has decided to ignore it up until now with Greater Good of God.  I wonder if they have any pro footage shot of the Legacy tour.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4527 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »

I will say, not getting a DVD of that tour where they played the album in full was a real shitter.
Same with The Astonishing.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4528 on: May 19, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »

Same with The Astonishing.

Nah, I'm cool with that one not getting a DVD.  :biggrin:

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4529 on: May 19, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »

A shame the band has decided to ignore it up until now with Greater Good of God.  I wonder if they have any pro footage shot of the Legacy tour.

I don't know if you are asking about some professional recording paid by the band, but the Rock in Rio 2019 show was broadcasted, with excellent footage and audio (although it isn't one of Bruce's greatest nights according with himself).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 09:05:34 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4530 on: May 19, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Wow, that set off a firestorm of comments.  :lol

Well, your great post gave us something to discuss. :)

For the record, I always thought most people considered BNW tops of the reunion era by miles. And I thought that while people liked AMOLAD, they generally weren't as fond of it as others. That's why I called it underrated. Personally, I have it ranked higher than a many of the 82-92 catalog. But I thought I was in the minority, thus underrated.

Nah, you're definitely not in the minority on AMOLAD. It's a stellar album. But apparently the masses are split between it and BNW.

Oh, and can we all agree that TAC is usually wrong?  :biggrin:

Usually yes. :lol

But not when it comes to Iron Maiden! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4531 on: May 19, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »

I don't know if you are asking about some professional recording payed by the band, but the Rock in Rio 2019 show was broadcasted, with excellent footage and audio (although it isn't one of Bruce's greatest nights according with himself).

Yeah, I meant official from the band.  I know there's some good quality stuff out there.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4532 on: May 20, 2020, 01:24:13 AM »
D.O.D. is my favorite of the post 2000 era albums.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4533 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:54 AM »

DOD is ranked generally pretty low by fans, but I really like it!

There are some bangers on that album. Paschendale, Rainmaker, Face in the Sand and the title track are all great!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4534 on: May 20, 2020, 02:26:45 AM »
Indeed, the album is not really favored, but I've always loved it since the beginning.

For all the talks about repetitions, when it happened again that, out of the two longest songs of the album, one had a chorus repeated only twice, and the other had no chorus at all?

The great songs of DoD more than make up for the slightly inferior ones present on the album.

And yes, the cover blows but by now who cares, the music is what matters.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4535 on: May 20, 2020, 05:02:18 AM »

There are some bangers on that album. Paschendale, Rainmaker, Face in the Sand and the title track are all great!

Great album, but the production really let it down.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4536 on: May 20, 2020, 05:03:00 AM »

I believe they did release an official live track or two from AMOLAD as a bside to a single.  I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Different World and Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg. 

Also, I recall they did film a festival concert where they performed half of AMOLAD and half of TNOTB (which was the tour they did after the full album performance leg) but they weren't happy with the performance so it hasn't seen the light of day. 

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4537 on: May 20, 2020, 07:21:30 AM »

Great album, but the production really let it down.
Listen to the new remaster. Seriously, maybe the best production of all 2000’s albums. The guitars sound almost like in their 80’s discography.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4538 on: May 20, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »

Listen to the new remaster. Seriously, maybe the best production of all 2000’s albums. The guitars sound almost like in their 80’s discography.

Huh. So this new remaster sounds better? Need to get a hold of it then.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:25:44 AM by goo-goo »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4539 on: May 20, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
Dance of Death is a great album and holds some of the band's best songs ever (the title track, Paschendale, Rainmaker). But I would agree with the common consensus that it's among the weaker entries of the reunion era, along with maybe The Final Frontier... Which is more a testament to how freaking stellar Iron Maiden have been since the reunion era started. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4540 on: May 20, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »

I think so. Really better.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4541 on: May 20, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »

I believe they did release an official live track or two from AMOLAD as a bside to a single.  I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure it was Different World and Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg. 

Also, I recall they did film a festival concert where they performed half of AMOLAD and half of TNOTB (which was the tour they did after the full album performance leg) but they weren't happy with the performance so it hasn't seen the light of day.

I can't speak to a live version of "Different World" (at least I don't have it), but there definitely is a live b-side of "Breeg".  It's from Copenhagen and is the b-side of one of the "Different World" singles. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #4542 on: May 20, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »

I had no idea there was a remaster of that. Looks like there is a whole slew of them. Will have to check it out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4543 on: May 20, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
It’s the iTunes remaster (from 2015) of all Maiden albums. After that, they were released on HD tracks and CDs. It’s also on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/2Y8x0EEu7il0K2gCQIqVRh?si=rImDyGVmRAiDX3ccLT8EiQ

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4544 on: May 20, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
It’s the iTunes remaster (from 2015) of all Maiden albums. After that, they were released on HD tracks and CDs. It’s also on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/2Y8x0EEu7il0K2gCQIqVRh?si=rImDyGVmRAiDX3ccLT8EiQ

:lol  So I do have an Iron Maiden playlist with all the studio albums in it. I use shuffle most of the times but for whatever reason, Google Play keeps skipping Dance of Death  :lol

I do have to hunt the CDs though. I only have from Brave New World through Book of Souls.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4545 on: May 20, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »

:lol  So I do have an Iron Maiden playlist with all the studio albums in it. I use shuffle most of the times but for whatever reason, Google Play keeps skipping Dance of Death  :lol

Of course, they do, it's the special one! :laugh:
I think the first one really improved too :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: May 20, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »

I remember discussions about these.  I didn't realise they were that much better.  How do the rest of the reunion albums stack up?  And are the old ones worth getting?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4547 on: May 20, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »

I remember discussions about these.  I didn't realise they were that much better.  How do the rest of the reunion albums stack up?  And are the old ones worth getting?
I think DoD is the only one, from 2000 on, clearly better (the original sounds like just a rough mix, not mastered at all). From the 80’s the one that I listened with more atention was the first, because Steve Harris recommended it on some interview or while promoting the remasters. And I think it sounds almost like it was remixed, it really improved.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4548 on: May 20, 2020, 06:06:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of all their albums since BNW.  Although BNW is my favorite of the bunch, I like almost all the songs from all of them.  In my view, it is Iron Maiden's best years.  Although the 80's stuff is really good too.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4549 on: May 20, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »

I think DoD is the only one, from 2000 on, clearly better (the original sounds like just a rough mix, not mastered at all). From the 80’s the one that I listened with more atention was the first, because Steve Harris recommended it on some interview or while promoting the remasters. And I think it sounds almost like it was remixed, it really improved.

Doing some googling seems people aren't too keen on them, but I think I'd have to check them out.  If they on a whole were improved, I'd probably start collecting them.

And yeah, with DOD when I picked it up and took it home and listened, I thought I must have had a defect copy or something lol.  I'll check that one at least.