Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570661 times)

retaehTmaerD (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4375 on: April 03, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
I agree. I'm glad it was an entire song and not some sort of medley. But even he can't fix the song. For some reason after the climax, Steve needlessly felt he needed another verse.

Never thought that myself, but I see where you are coming from.  Going into the quiet outro after the 'genius must die' line would be quite cool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4376 on: April 03, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »
I agree. I'm glad it was an entire song and not some sort of medley. But even he can't fix the song. For some reason after the climax, Steve needlessly felt he needed another verse.

Never thought that myself, but I see where you are coming from.  Going into the quiet outro after the 'genius must die' line would be quite cool.

Exactly. Or even just end it with "The genius must die".

And that is one of the problems I've had with TXF in general.

I feel that Maiden were sitting on an absolute neutron bomb masterpiece of an album with TXF. But what they released, to me, was a demo version of it. The production fucking blows, to begin with, so there's that.  But this album really needed someone like Bruce, or Martin Birch, to get into Steve's head and offer some balance or levity. Eliminating a verse here and there, smoothing a transition here and there. Maybe eliminating a song or two. Taking out Judgement Of Heaven and adding Judgement Day, as this album was in desperate need of another ripper.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #4377 on: April 03, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »

Exactly. Or even just end it with "The genius must die".

I have to disagree on this one. In fact, I think that hearing Blaze belt out "Now I stand alone in darkness..." is one of the highlights of the album for me.

I do emphatically agree about the production, and there are some other songs that could probably use some tweaking. But at the same time, I think that this album is one of those that's rough and raw in a way that works. And I'd be worried that taking too heavy a hand to it might have ruined its strange brilliance. It was never going to be a commercial success, anyway. Far too dark, and Blaze was too sharp of a departure from Bruce.

Virtual XI is the real missed opportunity, I'd say. I love it, but the production is still awful in a way that doesn't even have thematic plausibility. And there is an absolute beast of a song inside The Angel and the Gambler that 'Arry just... botched.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4378 on: April 03, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
Raphael Mendes is at it again.

The Edge Of Darkness

:omg:
Yeah, that didn't work at all. The song was definitely written to Blaze's strengths and not Bruce's.

As for the song itself, I have the exact opposite problem as TAC. It was a helluva narrative opportunity, and while I get that they couldn't flush it out without making it a 20 minute epic, they seemed to just abandon it, instead. You've got the slow build up to the mission, the solo representing the journey, and then the epilogue.  It didn't necessarily need another verse, but it needed something to flesh the story out better. And ditching the final verse, as has been suggested, would have been even worse. It would have been like ending EotC right after the R101 took off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4379 on: April 03, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
Mission? Journey? We talking about the same song? :lol

The Edge Of Darkness must have one of the worst set of verses in their catalog. I mean, when it picks up it's fine, but that mid tempo verse is terrible. There was no need to bring it back. By the time it gets to the "genius must die" part, I had forgotten about them. There was no need to rehash it.

But I have no problem acknowledging there's a really awesome song in there somewhere, but to me, there's just something off about it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:37:53 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4380 on: April 03, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
Everyone knows what I think of the album, I love it as it is, but Judgement Day is so good, it should have been on there.  Justice of the Peace could've been on there and to a lesser extent, I Live My Way.  Dunno if I could cut anything though.  I would have loved a double album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4381 on: April 03, 2020, 09:59:11 PM »
Not sure if you're serious or not, but since it's always great advice I'll suggest it anyway. Watch the first 18 minutes of Apocalypse Now. The mission briefing is one of my favorite scenes in cinema. I like Jerry, the creepy civilian.

The Edge Of Darkness must have one of the worst set of verses in their catalog. I mean, when it picks up it's fine, but that mid tempo verse is terrible. There was no need to bring it back. By the time it gets to the "genius must die" part, I had forgotten about them. There was no need to rehash it.
I agree with you about the verse structures, but my problem is that they try to shoe-horn in specific lines from the movie. It all seems awkward and forced. You think it's too long at 6.38. I think it needed more room to breathe. It was a great idea for a Maiden song, but they really didn't do it right. It was an instance where you either go big or go home, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4382 on: April 04, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Not sure if you're serious or not, but since it's always great advice I'll suggest it anyway. Watch the first 18 minutes of Apocalypse Now. The mission briefing is one of my favorite scenes in cinema.

I was half and half. ;D  Is that song about Apocalypse Now? I probably knew that at some point, but that'd be something I'd quickly discard anyway. I saw it once when I was younger, and frankly don't remember anything about it.

I agree with you about the verse structures, but my problem is that they try to shoe-horn in specific lines from the movie. It all seems awkward and forced. You think it's too long at 6.38. I think it needed more room to breathe. It was a great idea for a Maiden song, but they really didn't do it right. It was an instance where you either go big or go home, I think.

I think it's a fabulous idea for a Maiden song. I'm not saying it's too short. I am saying that I don't like where the song went after the "genius must die" part. Going back into that horrible verse after such an epic part felt cringey to me. I'd understand if this was an early version of a working song, hence my demo comment, but there's such an awesome song here that simply never matures.

And that is generally how I feel about TXF as a whole.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4383 on: April 04, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »
http://bravewords.com/news/covid-19-initiative-over-15-iron-maiden-related-books-available-for-free-download

I have a number of these already downloaded from a couple years ago. Seems they are posting them again. If you are in the bunker and are having a Maiden jones, I'd recommend them. These are simply not fanzine pamphlet type thingies. I have the No Prayer open on my computer and it's 257 pages, with tons of lateral background.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4384 on: April 04, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
There are some problems with The X Factor. The Edge of Darkness is not one of them. One of the best songs with Blaze. Wouldn't have been out of place on A Matter of Lide and Death.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: April 04, 2020, 04:26:11 PM »
Watch the first 18 minutes of Apocalypse Now. The mission briefing is one of my favorite scenes in cinema. I like Jerry, the creepy civilian.

Mine too. The way the General lays out the reasoning for the mission, the look on Willard's face when he realizes what he is being tasked with. And yes, Jerry, the non-actor in a field of established actors, with one of the most memorable 4-word lines in film history.

...my problem is that they try to shoe-horn in specific lines from the movie. It all seems awkward and forced.

100% my assessment as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4386 on: April 05, 2020, 02:38:18 AM »
I've never seen the issue with the verses in The Edge of darkness. They build up towards the energetic sections very well and also serve the purpose of cooling things down for the outro. Had they been more complex in terms of chord progression or vocal melody, maybe they wouldn't have worked as well.

But the middle section is where it's at.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4387 on: April 05, 2020, 03:18:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UMtJDXyxI

Blood Brothers cover by United Symphony, an italian act.

I'm not convinced about the male vocals but all in all it's a good one (and they did it to encourage donations to the Red Cross). I can see Iron Maiden bringing it back in future sets, when concerts will be safe to attend again it's the most adapt song in their catalog to celebrate the togetherness of concert goers and Maiden fans.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4388 on: April 06, 2020, 07:27:13 AM »
Listened to Book Of Souls - The Live Chapter this weekend.  Brought back some great memories.  I'll go back to that one, for sure.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4389 on: April 07, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
The quarantine is getting to Raphael Mendes, he's running out of songs to sing  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS389S5-YQM

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4390 on: April 07, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Wanted some different music in my work from home "office" this morning, so went to Pandora and started an Iron Maiden station.  Very first song that kicked it off:  Rime.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4391 on: April 07, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
Listened to disc 1 of Book of Souls recently, thought "Damn that is one fine album." Couple days later listened to disc 2 and thought "Damn that is one fine album." Like my brain was convinced they were two separate but equally awesome albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4392 on: April 07, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
The quarantine is getting to Raphael Mendes, he's running out of songs to sing  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS389S5-YQM

It's like karaoke night at the local bar.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4393 on: April 08, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »
Listened to disc 1 of Book of Souls recently, thought "Damn that is one fine album." Couple days later listened to disc 2 and thought "Damn that is one fine album." Like my brain was convinced they were two separate but equally awesome albums.

I know I’m in the minority but I strongly prefer Side 2. Throw Speed of Light on there and I’d be good to go.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4394 on: April 08, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »

I agree.  The Book of Souls is a master work imho.  I don't see much to dislike.

I also like how they've gone more prog since Dickinson and Smith rejoined.  In fact, it's my favorite era of the band.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4395 on: April 08, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »

I know I’m in the minority but I strongly prefer Side 2. Throw Speed of Light on there and I’d be good to go.

The first disc has the title track and If Eternity Should Fail and THAT's the song you'd take from it? uh well, always nice to see that there's some love for potentially any song on the album  :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4396 on: April 09, 2020, 06:10:30 AM »

The first disc has the title track and If Eternity Should Fail and THAT's the song you'd take from it? uh well, always nice to see that there's some love for potentially any song on the album  :D

?   Speed of Light is my favorite song on the record, and it's probably not close.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4397 on: April 14, 2020, 06:34:12 AM »
40 years ago the debut album was released, and the legend officially began!  :metal

Happy 40th birhday to Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Running Free, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Strange World, Charlotte the Harlot and IRON MAIDEN, 40 years and counting of gonna get you and kicking ass!!!  :hefdaddy

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4398 on: April 14, 2020, 06:59:17 AM »
40 years ago the debut album was released, and the legend officially began!  :metal

Happy 40th birhday to Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Running Free, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Strange World, Charlotte the Harlot and IRON MAIDEN, 40 years and counting of gonna get you and kicking ass!!!  :hefdaddy

One of the finest debut albums ever made! :metal I'll have to listen to it again in a bit in celebration!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4399 on: April 16, 2020, 12:40:46 AM »

:metal I still love that album so much!

He's at it again: https://youtu.be/Gv17SgfQ3fs

That's the best one so far I think, it's so creepy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: April 16, 2020, 07:22:15 AM »

What's creepy is that one eye that periodically looks out at the camera from behind the microphone screen.   ;) 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4401 on: April 16, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »

What's creepy is that one eye that periodically looks out at the camera from behind the microphone screen.   ;)

I'm trying to figure out how the heck the bass player plays like that with those rings on!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4402 on: April 17, 2020, 04:21:26 PM »
I had Rock in Rio 1985 on in the background while working today, and was wondering whether anyone knows what is going on with Bruce talking constantly during non-singing parts of Hallowed.  He has his head down and is just talking away, but I have no idea what he is saying.  He does similar things in other parts of the show as well.  Any that are more familiar have any idea?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4403 on: April 18, 2020, 03:10:44 AM »
I've actually seen him do this in recent years in the concerts I attended. I had the impression he warms up his voice for the higher sections. You can see him do it prior to "When the priest comes to read me the last rites" and "As the guards march me out to the courtyard", which makes me think he's getting ready for the parts that are difficult to sing. I am not sure that is what you mean, though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4404 on: April 18, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »

Amazing debut. Several all-time classics and you can still make a legit argument for Phantom being the best song they ever wrote, not to mention one of the greatest metal songs ever. No plagiarism claims against that one!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4406 on: May 05, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »
The way they seem to treat their crew is really special. They always make sure they are part of the spotlight.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4407 on: May 05, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
Way better edited than the last few live Maiden DVDs  :)

Very enjoyable video. Thanks for posting.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4408 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »

Say what? You mean it wasn't filmed in Seizure-Vision?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4409 on: May 05, 2020, 05:47:57 PM »

Say what? You mean it wasn't filmed in Seizure-Vision?

Yep! :rollin