Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566881 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4340 on: January 16, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »
Apparently Steve's new British Lion album is out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Vea6oT3DEw8&feature=emb_title

Any thoughts? The singer sounds a bit weak to me, would be interesting to hear Bruce sing this one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4341 on: January 18, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
I thought British Lion's first album was poor, and had no intention of checking the new one out at all. But, on a whim, I did. And I have to say I am so pleased I did. It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Just don't go into it expecting Bruce Dickinson on vocals.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4342 on: January 18, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
I already liked the first and liked this one more. Still raw but better produced. I think their sound has their own personality, very much in 70’s, some 80’s European hard/heavy,  but with something unique. This band has a very nostalgic feel without copying anyone.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4343 on: January 18, 2020, 03:38:15 PM »
Huh.  I thought the first one was decent without being brilliant.  Will definitely check the new one then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4344 on: January 19, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Not a fan of the first one. Bo-ring.   But I'll give this one at least a listen, and I'm going to try to see them. Steve Harris + Small Club = Winner.

Online RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4345 on: January 19, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »
No Canada date? Why??????

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4346 on: January 19, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »
Haven't heard a note of their music, will go into the NYC show blind.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4347 on: January 20, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
Excellent album, it’s like the first, but better, with more focus and sounding right. Whoever mixed/mastered this album should do the next Maiden album. The sound quality of this album seems something Maiden was trying to achieve with Kevin Shirley in the last 5 albums but never did it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4348 on: January 20, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »
Just sampled the title track.  Sounds like the first which is fine.  Nice melodies, very Maiden obviously.  I can see what people are complaining about regarding the singer, but I don't really have that much of an issue with him truthfully.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4349 on: January 20, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
The mix in the first album didn’t help (also people always comparing him to Bruce). But his voice, although doesn’t have much power, has a lot of emotion and variation. I like it :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4350 on: January 25, 2020, 05:05:02 AM »
The most random video ever and yes it's in the right thread.  :lol

FIE Grand Prix Doha Epee 2020 - Day One Report
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4352 on: February 24, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
Bruce Dickinson sings Wasting Love on Valentine Day, explaining the process behind singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtxzVb4qFU

It's like looking at Leonardo explaining what goes on in his head while he was painting  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4353 on: February 25, 2020, 05:05:43 AM »
Brazilian Bruce: https://youtu.be/w_2Ew0eKDlM

His voice scares me!  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4354 on: February 25, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »

That guy is great. Check out his Flight of Icarus cover: https://youtu.be/1BuSu36SDQQ

He’s not alone either - this guy is good as well: https://youtu.be/iQ0FNY2ojCM

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4355 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »

This guy is awesome  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4356 on: March 12, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
I picked up the British Lion last weekend and I enjoyed the first one.  Going into the second, I didn't have any real expectations but man this is an awesome album.  Nothing new, but well written hard rock songs and teh whole thing sounds amazing and quite organic and even fresh.  Some great melodies and very consistent throughout.  The singer sounds a lot better here than the first album.  Good stuff.

I just wish Maiden albums would sound like this.  How can this have better sounding production than everything Maiden has done since DOD?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4357 on: March 12, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »
I picked up the British Lion last weekend and I enjoyed the first one.  Going into the second, I didn't have any real expectations but man this is an awesome album.  Nothing new, but well written hard rock songs and teh whole thing sounds amazing and quite organic and even fresh.  Some great melodies and very consistent throughout.  The singer sounds a lot better here than the first album.  Good stuff.

I just wish Maiden albums would sound like this.  How can this have better sounding production than everything Maiden has done since DOD?
Man, I agree with all of this! I think The Burning's production is what Maiden is aiming with Kevin Shirley and missing the mark every time! I also think BNW has a too much clean production which makes the guitars sound too weak.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4358 on: March 12, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »

Man, I agree with all of this! I think The Burning's production is what Maiden is aiming with Kevin Shirley and missing the mark every time! I also think BNW has a too much clean production which makes the guitars sound too weak.

I will easily take BNW's production over the albums that came after but I know what you mean.  This British Lion is nice and clean but has a real nice crunch with the guitars and the layering is quite good.  If anything I'm surprised Steve's bass isn't louder.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4359 on: March 12, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
I'll have to give it a go then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: March 13, 2020, 07:11:37 AM »
With the understanding that I don't share the complaints about the production of the Maiden records that most do, I wasn't blown away by the first British Lion.    Would I like the second one?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #4361 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:24 AM »
With the understanding that I don't share the complaints about the production of the Maiden records that most do, I wasn't blown away by the first British Lion.    Would I like the second one?
I don't know... the production of British Lion's first album is horrible, it doesn't help. Although I don't like the productions of post 2000 Maiden's albums (from Powerslave to 7th Son are still my favourites), they aren't "objectively" bad IMO. To be fair, I think aMoLaD is almost really good. And I think everybody is liking more the last Bristish Lion's album than the first, no doubt.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4362 on: March 13, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

It's way more accessible than the first, that's for sure.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4363 on: March 20, 2020, 02:08:08 AM »
Australia / New Zeleand tour postponed. By now these things fall into the "We were just waiting for the official announcement" category.

I wonder how Maiden's tightly planned machine will operate, say that the whole tour goes tits up, would they really do it in 2021 postponing of another year the new album? by many accounts, insider gossips and fans deductions (the band members being often in Paris where Kevin Shirley was working on a "not so secret project") the new album  is basically done.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4364 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:55 AM »
I'm not holding my breath (for any amount of seconds) that I'm still getting to see them in early June. Being a festival gig it probably won't be re-scheduled either.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:51:49 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4365 on: March 20, 2020, 05:50:37 AM »
Australia / New Zeleand tour postponed. By now these things fall into the "We were just waiting for the official announcement" category.

I wonder how Maiden's tightly planned machine will operate, say that the whole tour goes tits up, would they really do it in 2021 postponing of another year the new album? by many accounts, insider gossips and fans deductions (the band members being often in Paris where Kevin Shirley was working on a "not so secret project") the new album  is basically done.

Yep.  Surprised both Maiden and DT took so long to pull the pin.  Sigh.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: March 20, 2020, 05:51:43 AM »
I'm not holding my breath (for any amount of seconds) that I'm still getting to see them in early June. Being a festival gig it will probably not be re-scheduled either.

Yep, they're supposed to play here in July and I don't think it'll happen. Who knows though, we'll see.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4367 on: March 31, 2020, 01:57:24 AM »
You know who doesn't get enough credit? Clive Burr.

Listening to Killers and he's fucking excellent. So much energy, groove and fun. Playing along with all the riffs and twiddles and shit. Love Nicko but much prefer Burr's drumming. Different level, imo.

Onto NOTB now - the shiny, new Bruce AND Clive. Now wonder it's such a classic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:33:11 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4368 on: March 31, 2020, 04:44:07 AM »
You know who doesn't get enough credit? Clive Burr.

Listening to Killers and he's fucking excellent. So much energy, groove and fun. Playing along with all the riffs and twiddles and shit. Love Nicko but much prefer Burr's drumming. Different level, imo.

Onto NOTB now - the shiny, new Bruce AND Clive. Now wonder it's such a classic.

Yeah Clive was special.

Clive >>> Nicko.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4369 on: March 31, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »
I don't know; I just went through the entire catalogue ripping all my Maiden to hard drive, and collating the b-sides and what not... and I don't think it's really a fair comparison.   They're very different drummers.  While Clive helped light the torch, they did things after that they never would have been able to do with him.  Nicko is technically a superior drummer.    I know in one of the docs (The Early Days or 12 Wasted Years; there is some overlap) Bruce makes a comment to the effect that Clive was his "favorite" drummer, but he says it in a way that is more respectful than really an objective criticism (or a dig at Nicko).   Killers is one of, if not my favorite, Maiden records, so there's no beef there, and certainly, he was integral to the fire that was the Number... album cycle, but they elevated to the next level with Nicko.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4370 on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:19 AM »
There's a lot of things synonymous with the "Maiden Style", and Nicko's drumming is one of them. Number Of The Beast is my favorite Maiden album, but they were still a developing band at that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4371 on: April 03, 2020, 06:09:33 PM »
Raphael Mendes is at it again.

The Edge Of Darkness

:omg:

Online RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4372 on: April 03, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
Raphael Mendes is at it again.

The Edge Of Darkness

He should do X Factor and Virtual XI in full, man... I'd totally download it and delete the original albums from my collection!

:omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4373 on: April 03, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
I agree. I'm glad it was an entire song and not some sort of medley. But even he can't fix the song. For some reason after the climax, Steve needlessly felt he needed another verse.

Offline 425

« Reply #4374 on: April 03, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
There's a lot of things synonymous with the "Maiden Style", and Nicko's drumming is one of them.

I agree with this. I like Clive's drumming a lot for those early records, and his style has a lot of personality, but Nicko was essential to the later development of the band.

Thinking about the comparison of these two, it stands out for me yet again how Maiden has had a wealth of really talented musicians who aren't flashy, but elevate the music in more subtle ways. I'd say that describes both Clive and Nick as drummers, and Adrian and Dave (and I would say Janick, though I know that's more controversial) as guitarists.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time