Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566406 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4305 on: December 04, 2019, 08:18:12 AM »
It's well-known now, but the two songs he does with Ian Anderson in the church are worth seeking out.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4306 on: December 05, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Did Maiden copy the intro riff of Riot's Swords and Tequilla in 2 Minutes to Midnight? What you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbRHY1l0vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4307 on: December 05, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »
Did Maiden copy the intro riff of Riot's Swords and Tequilla in 2 Minutes to Midnight? What you say?

There’s about ten songs with the same riff.

Stand up and shout
Flash rocking man
Power and the glory
A White Spirit song

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4308 on: December 05, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »
Certainly very similar, but not sure it's a copy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4309 on: December 05, 2019, 08:20:54 AM »
I just watched Beast over Hammersmith for the first time in awhile and I'm pretty sure that's the greatest metal concert I've ever watched (edging out Metallica Live in Seattle). Bruce is ridiculous.

Is there a full version on video?  I thought the only released video was the half a show from the Early Days set.

They had the whole show on Youtube.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4310 on: December 05, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »

Stand up and shout
Flash rocking man
Power and the glory
A White Spirit song

I find Power and the Glory (assuming you're talking about Saxon) to be virtually indistinguishable from Dio's Stand up and Shout.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4311 on: December 05, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
I just watched Beast over Hammersmith for the first time in awhile and I'm pretty sure that's the greatest metal concert I've ever watched (edging out Metallica Live in Seattle). Bruce is ridiculous.

Is there a full version on video?  I thought the only released video was the half a show from the Early Days set.

Yea I remember that. Anyway, awesome concert. Clive's drumming is superb!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4312 on: December 05, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »

Stand up and shout
Flash rocking man
Power and the glory
A White Spirit song

Written by Janick I believe.  Performed by Janick at least.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4313 on: December 05, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »

Yea I remember that. Anyway, awesome concert. Clive's drumming is superb!
one of my musician colleagues (a bassist and big fan of Maiden) always said to me that in his opinion, Clive was a metronome in human form. He loved him. (and I always played the earlier Maiden pieces with him, he could do a great Steve Harris impression, self-taught btw, I was amazed)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:59:50 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4314 on: December 05, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »

Stand up and shout
Flash rocking man
Power and the glory
A White Spirit song

I find Power and the Glory (assuming you're talking about Saxon) to be virtually indistinguishable from Dio's Stand up and Shout.
I honestly never noticed that, and I'm a huge Saxon fan. Hell, PatG was a seminal album for me. Of course it pretty much is the same, but it sounds completely different to my ears. That's where I generally draw the distinction in these sorts of cases. Stealing the notes doesn't bother me. There are only so many ways to use them. Stealing the tone or the feel is where you run into a problem in my book. When this came up last year with Hallowed and Nomad, I didn't really have a problem with Hallowed. I certainly didn't find it to be a ripoff. Nomad was very definitely problematic, though, because it copied the sound, the feel, the style, the atmosphere, and used it pretty much the same way those first guys did.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4315 on: December 11, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
Bruce sang a cappella also Chemical Wedding at one of his book shows  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7VenQCy6r4
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4316 on: December 11, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »

Stand up and shout
Flash rocking man
Power and the glory
A White Spirit song

I honestly never noticed that, and I'm a huge Saxon fan. Hell, PatG was a seminal album for me. Of course it pretty much is the same, ...

I've never not noticed it. It was one of my gripes when Powerslave was released. Other than the title track, I have always felt that album felt mailed in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4317 on: December 14, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
Don't wanna open this can of....but I just read this quote from 2015 which I haven't seen before:

Back in 2015, drummer Nicko McBrain told the 98.7 The Gater radio station that he would love to see MAIDEN's music reinterpreted in an orchestral setting.

"I'd like to see us do like what Jon Lord did years and years back with the London [Symphony Orchestra], when he played the [Royal] Albert Hall, is do IRON MAIDEN songs with an orchestra," Nicko said. "I'd love [to do it], because there's a lot of stuff there. 'Alexander The Great' is a track that everybody's been moaning [that] it's been never played live. I'd like to do things like that.
That Nicko acknowledge that fact makes me giddy.  :laugh: Just book an orchestra thank you very much and let's do dis!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4319 on: December 14, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
Man, an Iron Maiden show at a venue like the Royal Albert Hall in London with an orchestra playing stuff like Alexander the Great and Empire of the Clouds would be much hype.  I imagine ticket costs would be like at least twice as expensive as GA tickets are going for their regular shows now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4320 on: December 14, 2019, 07:21:43 PM »
I really don't need an orchestra. Just play the songs.

Having an orchestra would be such a turn off.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4321 on: December 15, 2019, 02:43:36 AM »
Said Bruce: “I did talk to the conductor Paul Nann, and we just very tentatively said; 'wouldn’t it be great if we could do something that might involve some Maiden songs, but only Maiden songs that are really appropriate for doing [with] an orchestra? ‘Empire Of The Clouds’ is one of them.' So yeah, you never know.”

Yeah, please. I'd love for Maiden to do a show with an orchestra, but more than that, to do it right. No need to hear 2 Minutes to Midnight exactly like it is, but with violins doubling the guitar riff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4322 on: December 15, 2019, 02:46:28 AM »

I think one of the reasons why Maiden is my all time favourite band is that they never ventured down the alley of doing things that other bands did.  Orchestras, cover albums, full album re-records, they just kept going doing their thing without following any trends.  They never did things that were classes as filler or buying time.  Ed Hunter maybe, but that was kind of cool and different.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4323 on: December 15, 2019, 06:21:17 AM »
At this point, though, they might as well do a one-off show with an orchestra, because they actually have a good bunch of songs that would work fantastically with an orchestra, especially the newer stuff. Empire of the clouds, The Legacy and Journeyman seem like perfect candidates right away, and then they could adapt some older tracks like Prodigal son or Revelations. I am confident that some of their biggest hits could also work with an orchestra, especially Fear of the dark.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4324 on: December 15, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
Pachendale
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4325 on: December 15, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
Well, according to Bruce, any chances of him singing Iron Maiden songs with an orchestra would be him doing something outside of the band.

https://loudwire.com/bruce-dickinson-interested-iron-maiden-orchestral-adaptations/

However, when asked if Iron Maiden would be playing with an orchestra, Dickinson emphatically stated "no," adding that any such project would come to fruition outside of the group.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4326 on: December 15, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

I think one of the reasons why Maiden is my all time favourite band is that they never ventured down the alley of doing things that other bands did.  Orchestras, cover albums, full album re-records, they just kept going doing their thing without following any trends.  They never did things that were classes as filler or buying time.  Ed Hunter maybe, but that was kind of cool and different.

True.  I'm kind of torn.  On one hand I'd love to see them do this because it would make for some cool live songs and maybe songs they haven't played before (Empire, Alexander).  On the other hand, exactly what you say.  IM has always done their own thing and haven't caved to whatever everyone else has done which playing with an orchestra kind of falls under.  I certainly won't be upset or mad if they do this though.  I'd imagine they could do it better than most have (topping S&M would be tough, but I think they could do it better than anyone else has).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4327 on: December 15, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
I think the fact that it’s Bruce in talks pretty much tells you how Steve feels about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4328 on: December 15, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
^^^ Not a bad point; I don't think Maiden farts without Steve's full buy in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4329 on: December 15, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
Just doesn't sound like something Steve would have any interest in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4330 on: December 15, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Didn't Steve say before he wouldn't want to do this?  Or maybe it was Bruce who said he wouldn't  Either way, it's really not something IM would do IMO so letting Bruce do it on his own, which sounds like something he would do, seems like the best way to go about it.  I just hope that Bruce's backing band can do it justice if this happens. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4331 on: December 15, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
If he goes solo, he could sneak in some of his stuff as well. Can you imagine how majestic the ending of The Alchemist (again, his solo song, not the Maiden one) would sound with a full orchestra?  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4332 on: December 15, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
Yea, I'd really love for Bruce to do some solo shows again, with or without orchestra, but he definitely has his own songs that could work real well

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4333 on: December 29, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »
In case anyone missed it, here's Steve Harris on Eddie Trunk from a few weeks back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eCqUpgtRk&t=2528s

No major Maiden nuggets. He's promoting British Lion, but as usual, he is a great interview.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4334 on: January 08, 2020, 09:38:51 AM »
I am working my way through the History of Iron Maiden documentaries.  Finished pt. 1.  This is a REALLY good series.  Perhaps the biggest takeaway for me is now having a bit of an appreciation for some of the songs on the first two albums that I didn't previously care for.  As many of you know from my posts here, I came VERY late to the Maiden party.  And I'm a bit selective about what I like from them, which consists almost entirely of the early classic lineup (NOTB through Somewhere in Time) and the reunion era (all of it).  I don't like the first two albums, the albums from the period from Seventh Son through Bruce's departure, or the Blaze era.  I mean, I have liked Bruce's performances of several of the songs from those albums.  But I don't like the albums themselves.  But I'm warming a bit to the first two albums now.  The documentary just put me in the right frame of mind to appreciate them, I guess. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4335 on: January 08, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
I am working my way through the History of Iron Maiden documentaries.  Finished pt. 1.  This is a REALLY good series.  Perhaps the biggest takeaway for me is now having a bit of an appreciation for some of the songs on the first two albums that I didn't previously care for.  As many of you know from my posts here, I came VERY late to the Maiden party.  And I'm a bit selective about what I like from them, which consists almost entirely of the early classic lineup (NOTB through Somewhere in Time) and the reunion era (all of it).  I don't like the first two albums, the albums from the period from Seventh Son through Bruce's departure, or the Blaze era.  I mean, I have liked Bruce's performances of several of the songs from those albums.  But I don't like the albums themselves.  But I'm warming a bit to the first two albums now.  The documentary just put me in the right frame of mind to appreciate them, I guess.

I saw them with Paul 3 times and to me that was Maiden  I liked them till Powerslave but after that my love of them has been luke warm,  Bruces voice is hit or miss with me ,  Im a Judas guy and saw JP since Hell Bent days and Rob is the KING  : )  Bruce tires me vocally and live, I mention JP because Maiden was the opener for many years and you mentioned the first 2 maiden albums, my fav Bruce Maiden CD is POM
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4336 on: January 08, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »
Early Days is by far the best documentary about Iron Maiden and their best non-musical official DVD. (Only the documentary for Flight 666 comes close)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4337 on: January 08, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
I only watched it once and found it kind of boring honestly.  The concert bonus footage is great and the doc is certainly very informative but just kind of drags for me.  F666 was non stop entertainment, but I guess they aren't really comparable.  One much more informative on the history and the other is a more inside look on a crazy tour.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4338 on: January 08, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
I actually watched the docs on The Early Days, Live After Death, and Maiden England '88 (which is kind of an amalgamation of both). 

I loved them.  I thought it was really cool, and I was impressed with the degree to which there's not a ton of bad blood between the former members.  It's all sort of "Well, 'arry had his vision, dinnit he?"   I think the only one that was sort of still a bit taken aback was Clive Burr. 

By the way, if you played me a video of Derek Riggs without telling me who it is, I'd swear he has bones in his basement.  That laugh is just...   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4339 on: January 08, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »
I still have teh Early Days somewhere on VHS, along with a lot of the other Maiden concerts.  I wore the fuck out of that tape.  Donington 92 and Maiden England also.  Yeah, Riggs is a strange character indeed.