Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 567126 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4270 on: November 20, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
Damn, nothing up here.

You'd go to this?  Cause that's saying something if so

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4271 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Seeing Steve Harris in a small club, hell yes. I'm a lifelong Maiden fan. Why would that be saying something? I saw Bruce in a tiny club. I like Steve more than I like Bruce.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4272 on: November 20, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »
That itinerary just SMACKS of "More dates, TBD".  Not one LA date?  Not one date (other than the TX gigs) west of the Mississippi, even? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4273 on: November 20, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »
Seeing Steve Harris in a small club, hell yes. I'm a lifelong Maiden fan. Why would that be saying something? I saw Bruce in a tiny club. I like Steve more than I like Bruce.

because you wont see Def Leppard  :lol

But I don't know British Lion.  I'd see Bruce no questions asked because I love his solo music and he's a front man, not the bassist so it's a bigger draw for me as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4274 on: November 20, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
Steve Harris has integrity.

I'd go see Joe Elliot's Split Ends, or whateverthehell his band name is before I saw Def Leppard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #4275 on: November 20, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »
I just might go see them in January, that venue is like less than 20 mins away from me. I checked out the new track they have online 'Spit Fire' and it sounds pretty good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4276 on: November 20, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »

I'd go see Joe Elliot's Split Ends, or whateverthehell his band name is before I saw Def Leppard.

Which sounds to me exactly why I went to see Viv Campbell in front of 100 people a couple weeks ago.   I find watching incredibly talented, and experienced musicians in a really intimate setting is really interesting.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4277 on: November 20, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »

Which sounds to me exactly why I went to see Viv Campbell in front of 100 people a couple weeks ago.   I find watching incredibly talented, and experienced musicians in a really intimate setting is really interesting.

Oh thats pretty cool.  I don't know anything about either of their music outside DL though. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4278 on: November 20, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

because you wont see Def Leppard  :lol

But I don't know British Lion.  I'd see Bruce no questions asked because I love his solo music and he's a front man, not the bassist so it's a bigger draw for me as well.

If I got free tickets to a Def Leppard concert or I had to pay $100 to see Steve's band play in a toilet, I would pick the latter every day of the week.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:16:17 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4279 on: November 20, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
 :lol

Gee, and I was wondering how to put it into words, but you pretty much nailed it. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4280 on: November 20, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
Except for the idea that I just listened to british lion and its not that interesting.  It's not like I've never had Steve Harris point his bass at me though, I've seen Maiden up close many times now and even got on stage right next to Steve.  You guys are crazy for your distaste for DL.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4281 on: November 20, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »
Except for the idea that I just listened to british lion and its not that interesting.  It's not like I've never had Steve Harris point his bass at me though, I've seen Maiden up close many times now and even got on stage right next to Steve.  You guys are crazy for your distaste for DL.

To me Def Leppard aren't that interesting either.  I don't think we can be called 'crazy' just for disliking a band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4282 on: November 20, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »

To me Def Leppard aren't that interesting either.  I don't think we can be called 'crazy' just for disliking a band.

Fair, TAC said he enjoys old DF.  I thought you had too and may have lumped you in unfairly.  But it had come off both you won't see them for reasons outside the enjoyment of their music that they play which was the "crazy" reference.  Like I said yesterday in another thread, it almost seems like a self punishment to not see a band who I can guarantee will give a good show because of "integrity"  or not liking their current music which is hardly played.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4283 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Haven't listened to any Def Leppard post-Euphoria up to which I've enjoyed a lot. First exposure to DL was Hysteria and Pyromania which I played endlessly. When I dug back into their catalogue I was surprised by how different they sounded. I used to listen to them a lot and was debating checking them out live but their ticket prices were way too much.

I can see why people who started with them from the start didn't buy into their shift into more poppy accessible songs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4284 on: November 20, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »
Def Leppard's Pyromania tour was my first concert. Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind tour was my second show. Saw both in the summer of 1983.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4285 on: November 20, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Def Leppard's Pyromania tour was my first concert. Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind tour was my second show. Saw both in the summer of 1983.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4286 on: November 21, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
Here's the thing about Def Leppard, though.  I got in with TAC.  My first time seeing them was the Pyromania tour as well (they KILLED it. I mean KILLED it.)  I'm a "High And Dry" guy all the way, though I do like the next two better than most (I actually like Hysteria better than Pyromania). 

But I saw them open for Kiss a couple years ago, and it's almost entirely a hits set at this point.  And here's the thing: it's GOOD.   They've been starting their shows by playing "Won't Get Fooled Again" by the Who, then finish the song themselves live, which is cool, and most of the Hysteria songs (the bulk of the set) are done really well.  It's five really good musicians playing fairly complicated material and yet it rocks.  No, I wouldn't pay $150 to see them, but if I got a $50 ticket from StubHub or something? There are worse nights out, let me tell you.   

Cram, I'm with you; British Lion does little for me.   It reminds me of bad ASAP (which was Adrian's gig after he left Maiden in... '88 or so).  If I go, it's purely to see Steve Harris in the toilet.  Erm... you know what I mean.

(And for the record, Vivian was playing the Dio material he did with... Dio.)

There is zero zoom on this.  It was actually awkward because he was eye level and only about a foot and a half away:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4287 on: November 21, 2019, 07:31:12 AM »
That's pretty cool

I paid $75 for my ticket to see Def Leppard and Journey last year.  I'm not dropping 150 either, not when they just play the same hits. I'd pay more for their Vegas shows which offered a lot more.  I'm curious how much the show with Motley Crue will cost.

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4289 on: November 21, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4291 on: November 22, 2019, 12:46:12 AM »
I'm curious how much the show with Motley Crue will cost.
It's gonna be FREE!
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mick-mars-in-2014-interview-if-motley-crue-reunites-for-a-tour-i-will-invite-the-world-to-come-for-free/

I'll still pass.

I, too, will pass since we still got to pay for parking and I presume if this is indeed a tour with Def Leppard and Poison, we still technically got to pay to see those guys so it ain't free anyway.  Besides, Motley Crue went back on their word to retire and went back on their signed contract that they made all of this fuss about to ensure that they were serious about retiring and here we are now.  What makes you think free tickets is the actual comment that they will follow through to the end?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4292 on: November 22, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »
I'm curious how much the show with Motley Crue will cost.
It's gonna be FREE!
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mick-mars-in-2014-interview-if-motley-crue-reunites-for-a-tour-i-will-invite-the-world-to-come-for-free/

I'll still pass.

I, too, will pass since we still got to pay for parking and I presume if this is indeed a tour with Def Leppard and Poison, we still technically got to pay to see those guys so it ain't free anyway.  Besides, Motley Crue went back on their word to retire and went back on their signed contract that they made all of this fuss about to ensure that they were serious about retiring and here we are now.  What makes you think free tickets is the actual comment that they will follow through to the end?

I think the post from Scotty was sarcasm mate.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4293 on: November 22, 2019, 06:55:17 AM »
Yea, there's no way Motley Crue would hold up to that, I mean, they ripped the contract to the fans and now want the money. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4294 on: November 22, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
Yea, there's no way Motley Crue would hold up to that, I mean, they ripped the contract to the fans and now want the money.

I just hope Mick Mars is capable to handle it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4295 on: December 03, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
I just watched Beast over Hammersmith for the first time in awhile and I'm pretty sure that's the greatest metal concert I've ever watched (edging out Metallica Live in Seattle). Bruce is ridiculous.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4296 on: December 03, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »
I just watched Beast over Hammersmith for the first time in awhile and I'm pretty sure that's the greatest metal concert I've ever watched (edging out Metallica Live in Seattle). Bruce is ridiculous.

I've been ripping my Maiden DVDs to audio to put on my network drive.  I did Maiden England a couple weeks ago, and the last week I've been working on Live After Death, both the main concert and the bonus materials (Rock in Rio, '85, clips from Poland and Hungary in '84, etc.).

Next up is The Early Years, which has part of that Hammersmith show, and I can't wait.  That whole period - from Number through, say, Powerslave - was just unreal.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4297 on: December 03, 2019, 06:13:21 PM »

Is there a full version on video?  I thought the only released video was the half a show from the Early Days set. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4298 on: December 03, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »

Is there a full version on video?  I thought the only released video was the half a show from the Early Days set.

Yes, plus one song (Sanctuary) from the 14 Wasted Years doc. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4299 on: December 03, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »

Do you mean 12 Wasted Years?  That doesn't have the complete show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Wasted_Years

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4300 on: December 03, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »

Do you mean 12 Wasted Years?  That doesn't have the complete show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Wasted_Years

Yeah, 12 Wasted Years. It's just one song - Sanctuary - that I don't think is on the Early Days snippet.  I don't think there is a full show (unless there's a boot somewhere).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4301 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
Ah.  :tup

I got confused. 

As good as that show might be, I think just the fact that it's incomplete disqualifies it from beating out the Seattle Metallica show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4302 on: December 03, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
In case you care...

The Hammersmith show on CD is complete.

The Hammersmith show on DVD is all the Bruce songs, plus Murders In The Rue Morgue and Iron Maiden:
- Murders In The Rue Morgue
- Run To The Hills
- Children Of The Damned
- The Number Of The Beast
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Total Eclipse
- The Prisoner
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
- Iron Maiden

When I saw them in '82 on the Beast On The Road tour (October, 1982, New Haven, CT) the set list was:
- Murders in the Rue Morgue
- Wrathchild
- Run to the Hills
- Children of the Damned
- The Number of the Beast
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
- Iron Maiden
- Drifter

To be honest, I don't remember much other than the stage set (similar to the one on the Hammersmith vid), a lot of red lights, and Bruce's voice.  It WAS like an air raid siren.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4303 on: December 03, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
The Hammersmith show on CD from Eddie's Archive is fantastic. I'd love to see the full concert wind up on DVD at some point.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4304 on: December 04, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
Bruce doing some acapella. I for one really enjoy Bruce being a bit more rock these days.  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an6YPqutlKg
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls