Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 567510 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4200 on: November 03, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
Fear of the Squats...fear of the squaaaats...I have a constant fear of fatness settling in!!!!

Sorry, that was awful, but that was all I could come up with for the time being.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4201 on: November 03, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
A Matter Of Life And Breasts
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4202 on: November 03, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
The Cl_i_ _ _ _ _ _t (that probably was awful as well)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4203 on: November 03, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
This is something I never would have seen Bruce doing.  Has never seemed like that kind of guy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4204 on: November 03, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
This is something I never would have seen Bruce doing.  Has never seemed like that kind of guy.
he's a rockstar though (I guess that's what we can call him ?:D They do that kind of thing, don't they? Some of them do anyway. I'm not too surprised.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4205 on: November 03, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »

Same here. I know I idolize him, but... come on, it's not just fanboyism, it's a fact that he's talented at many things and that he's a singer pilot writer businessman and all around great intelligent guy. We don't know what was his life with his wife and he has a dick too in the end but I thought that if someone could escape the "aging famous person goes after the younger bimbo", that would be him.

The cancer ordeal must have had some collateral effect in his outlook on life or whatever, dunno.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4206 on: November 03, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »

Same here. I know I idolize him, but... come on, it's not just fanboyism, it's a fact that he's talented at many things and that he's a singer pilot writer businessman and all around great intelligent guy. We don't know what was his life with his wife and he has a dick too in the end but I thought that if someone could escape the "aging famous person goes after the younger bimbo", that would be him.

The cancer ordeal must have had some collateral effect in his outlook on life or whatever, dunno.

Agree mate.  He's probably my number one idol and yeah maybe I'm naive but I thought he'd be the one to never go that path too.  It just seems strange and leaves a bit of a bitter taste at the moment.  As you say, we don't know the situation, I'm sure there's much more behind it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4207 on: November 03, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
Maybe we shouldn't look that much into it other than they've grown away from eachother which is pretty normal these days especially when you don't have kids that live at home anymore which I just assume according to their ages. Lots of couples stick around for their kids and when their gone they realise there's nothing really left so they split up. With all the tours and projects that Bruce are involved in I assume he's not at home very much either and that can play apart in it.

So Bruce being single and a multi millionare flying all over the world, I think it's not too suprising he's in a face and living it so to speak.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4208 on: November 03, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »

Agree mate.  He's probably my number one idol and yeah maybe I'm naive but I thought he'd be the one to never go that path too.  It just seems strange and leaves a bit of a bitter taste at the moment.  As you say, we don't know the situation, I'm sure there's much more behind it.

Yea, I'm with you guys that I find it a bit surprising but at the same time, it's really not.  It seemed like he's been "dating" this girl for awhile while still being married and so far haven't even started a divorce process.  This may be some situation where there isn't a "ill will" if you may say and that people have simply grown apart.  And yea, I could imagine staring at death with cancer could change how you view your life.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4209 on: November 03, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
I have to be honest; some of you are my friends and I respect you but I'm flat out BAFFLED by some of these comments.

Marriages fail.  They just do.   As I read it, the marriage fell apart before he took up with this woman.

And after you get over, I'd say, 35 or so, years just don't matter that much.  He's 61 that means she's 46; that's no spring chicken. 

As for the "boobs" and "superfan" stuff, that just seems like sensationalist journalism.  I don't think he has any more or less integrity if he dates a flat-chested skank with no musical knowledge (sorry, I don't mean to be crass, just making a point).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4210 on: November 03, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »
I'm not a Bruce guy. Never have been.

Me, I'm just goofing.

But I think a lot of people really respect Bruce, and I think would be disappointed if something happened to him, where maybe because he was a rock star, it's assumed he's at fault.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4211 on: November 03, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »
I have to be honest; some of you are my friends and I respect you but I'm flat out BAFFLED by some of these comments.

Marriages fail.  They just do.   As I read it, the marriage fell apart before he took up with this woman.

And after you get over, I'd say, 35 or so, years just don't matter that much.  He's 61 that means she's 46; that's no spring chicken. 

As for the "boobs" and "superfan" stuff, that just seems like sensationalist journalism.  I don't think he has any more or less integrity if he dates a flat-chested skank with no musical knowledge (sorry, I don't mean to be crass, just making a point).

In retrospect, you're right.  No offence taken Bill.  I missed that they broke up before he hooked up with her.  I guess no one really has the right to be judgemental without knowing the story.  Just hopefully there is nothing more behind it and his ex tries to come out and talk shit or whatever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4212 on: November 04, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »

In retrospect, you're right.  No offence taken Bill.  I missed that they broke up before he hooked up with her.  I guess no one really has the right to be judgemental without knowing the story.  Just hopefully there is nothing more behind it and his ex tries to come out and talk shit or whatever.

Oh Stads is totally right, but it just seems like you picture someone one way and it turns out they aren't.  I don't think Bruce banging a chick is really surprising in anyway, but the band just seems so private that I wouldn't expect someone, or Bruce specifically, to get romantically involved with a fan.  But, that could be sensational journalism.  Who knows.  If Bruce is happy then all is good though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4213 on: November 04, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
I likewise was surprised to read this news and was a bit disappointed by it. But yeah, we don't know the whole story, nor will we probably ever find out, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is questioned about it when he does his speaking engagements. I guess the thing that makes it especially seem improper is that I've read that his soon-to-be ex-wife supported him throughout his whole cancer ordeal. So for him to split with her and pursue a relationship with some younger blond "superfan" that looks like a Kardashian wanna-be just doesn't seem right. Honestly not trying to judge him considering we don't know any of the facts other than what's in the news, but it doesn't put him in a good light.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4214 on: November 04, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
In reading about Rik Ocasek, didn't he and his wife split after he battled cancer too?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4215 on: November 05, 2019, 07:22:46 AM »
Yep; they remained friends, though.  (I read she was the one that found him.)

You can connect the dots in a way that says the same thing about Eddie VH (he first had his tongue cancer thing in 2000, declared cancer free in 2002, and they divorced in 2007 after being separated for four years.   2007 - 4 = 2003.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4216 on: November 05, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
I likewise was surprised to read this news and was a bit disappointed by it. But yeah, we don't know the whole story, nor will we probably ever find out, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is questioned about it when he does his speaking engagements. I guess the thing that makes it especially seem improper is that I've read that his soon-to-be ex-wife supported him throughout his whole cancer ordeal. So for him to split with her and pursue a relationship with some younger blond "superfan" that looks like a Kardashian wanna-be just doesn't seem right. Honestly not trying to judge him considering we don't know any of the facts other than what's in the news, but it doesn't put him in a good light.

But again, "younger blonde 'superfan'" just smacks of tabloid journalism.  There's nothing in that phrase that gives us any indication of ANYTHING to do with their relationship.   My wife is seven years younger than me, and blonde.  Did I marry a "younger blonde 'superfan'" too?   

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4217 on: November 05, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »

But again, "younger blonde 'superfan'" just smacks of tabloid journalism.  There's nothing in that phrase that gives us any indication of ANYTHING to do with their relationship.   My wife is seven years younger than me, and blonde.  Did I marry a "younger blonde 'superfan'" too?   
Feel free to ignore the "superfan" word from my post because quite frankly it wouldn't change my thoughts on the situation one way or the other.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4218 on: November 05, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »

Well, you would think she would have to like you in some capacity to marry you.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4219 on: November 05, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
To steer back towards the music a bit, I had a wacky idea: that the Legacy of the Beast tour is Maiden's farewell tour... without it being an actual farewell, or even being billed as such.

This late in their carrer, this is the first nostalgia tour done basically for the sake of it (yeah, the video game, I know), so it has all the hallmarks of a farewell tour. But rather than being billed as such, with the inevitable and clichè backtracking of "no we never meant to retire", they don't even bother with billing it as such and they just gor for it, all guns blazing, with a kickass setlist and stage show.

I see it as a "just in case" tour, if something bad happens, this is it, and it was a blast, ending on top. If they (as they seem to hint) do another album and another tour it's fine, but this tour serves as a nice memory of what it was like to see Iron Maiden even if it's not the actual end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4220 on: November 05, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
There's strong rumors that the next album is already in the can.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4221 on: November 05, 2019, 03:32:34 PM »

Unreal if true.  Are they from half reliable sources?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4224 on: November 05, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

I've heard this too.   

And I'll note that they've done this before, alternating between "album" tours and "legacy" tours.   

The Ed Hunter Tour - - - The Brave New World Tour
The "Give Em Ed" Tour - - - The Dance Of Death Tour
The "Eddie Rips It Up" Tour - - - The Matter Of Life And Death Tour
The Somewhere Back In Time Tour - - - The Final Frontier Tour
The Maiden England Tour - - - The Book Of Souls Tour
The Legacy Of The Beast Tour - - - ??????

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4225 on: November 05, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »

I've heard this too.   

And I'll note that they've done this before, alternating between "album" tours and "legacy" tours.   

The Ed Hunter Tour - - - The Brave New World Tour
The "Give Em Ed" Tour - - - The Dance Of Death Tour
The "Eddie Rips It Up" Tour - - - The Matter Of Life And Death Tour
The Somewhere Back In Time Tour - - - The Final Frontier Tour
The Maiden England Tour - - - The Book Of Souls Tour
The Legacy Of The Beast Tour - - - ??????
That was my first thought - since the reunion they've been ping ponging back and forth. So I wouldn't expect this current tour to be the end of it all unless something unplanned, unexpected and extremely serious happened.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4226 on: November 06, 2019, 01:05:11 AM »
So I wouldn't expect this current tour to be the end of it all unless something unplanned, unexpected and extremely serious happened.

Indeed. That's why I said that I see it as a "just-in-case farewell tour without being announced as such", which is more enjoyable without the gimmick of "last time ever to see the band, this is the end oh wait nevermind we come back next year with an even higher price because THAT will be the end, pinky swear!"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4227 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:20 AM »
Tour dates announced all over the world!  :metal (well, the rest of the world that wasn't touched this year)

May 2020
01  Perth, AUSTRALIA – RAC Arena, Special Guests: (Killswitch Engage)
03  Adelaide, AUSTRALIA – Entertainment Centre (Killswitch Engage)
05  Brisbane, AUSTRALIA – Entertainment Centre (Killswitch Engage)
07  Sydney, AUSTRALIA – Qudos Bank Arena (Killswitch Engage)
11  Melbourne, AUSTRALIA – Rod Laver Arena (Killswitch Engage)
13  Auckland, NEW ZEALAND – Spark Arena (Killswitch Engage)
16  Manila, PHILIPPINES - Pulp Summer Slam ^
19  Tokyo, JAPAN – Pia Arena MM
20  Tokyo, JAPAN – Pia Arena MM
22  Osaka, JAPAN - Venue to be announced
27  Dubai, UAE – Coca-Cola Arena
30  Tel Aviv, ISRAEL – Bloomfield Stadium (Orphaned Land)

June 2020
05 – 07  Tampere, FINLAND – Rockfest ^
09  Bremen, GERMANY – Buergerweide (Disturbed & Airbourne)
10  Cologne, GERMANY – Rhein-Energie-Stadium (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
13  Donington, UK – Download Festival ^
15  Belfast, UK – Belsonic Festival ^
18  Dessel, BELGIUM – Graspop Festival ^
20  Copenhagen, DENMARK – Copenhell Festival ^
23  Berlin, GERMANY – Waldbuehne (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
25  Oslo, NORWAY – Tons of Rock Festival ^
27  Gothenburg, SWEDEN – Ullevi Stadium (Alter Bridge & Airbourne)
30  St Petersburg, RUSSIA – Ice Palace (Airbourne)

July 2020
02  Moscow, RUSSIA – VTB Arena – Dynamo Central Stadium (Airbourne)
05  Warsaw, POLAND – PGE Narodowy (Within Temptation & Lord of the Lost)
07  Prague, Czech Republic – Sinobo Stadium (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
09  Weert, HOLLAND –  Evenemententerrein (Alter Bridge & Airbourne)
11  Paris, FRANCE – Paris La Defense Arena (Airbourne & Avatar)
16  Wiener, AUSTRIA – Neustadt Stadium (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
18  Stuttgart, GERMANY – Mercedes-Benz Arena (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
20  Bologna, ITALY – Sonic Park (Airbourne & Lord of the Lost)
23  Lisbon, PORTUGAL – Estadio Nacional (Within Temptation & Airbourne)
25  Barcelona, SPAIN – Olympic Stadium (Within Temptation & Airbourne)

^ = Festivals
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:28:22 AM by MirrorMask »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4228 on: November 07, 2019, 04:42:09 AM »
Wow, didn't expect that! I guess that's a sign I have to see them on this leg.

Gothenburg 2020! :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4229 on: November 07, 2019, 04:49:43 AM »
They play in Italy as well. 200 KM away from where I live. On a monday. In full holiday season at work where we're understaffed.

It's not unconceivable for me to obtain anyway at least half a day off, but I was thinking just for the hell of it a road trip to places where they play on a saturday, and believe me, I've already checked  :lol

Sweden is too far away but damn if I didn't wish for once to experience what it's like to see a Maiden concert among a fuckton of crazy scandinavian Maiden fans  :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4230 on: November 07, 2019, 05:17:17 AM »
crazy scandinavian Maiden fans  :metal
Scandinavian fans aren't crazy  :lol maybe for Maiden it's a bit different, but I'd be surprised. You're not missing out on much  ;)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4231 on: November 07, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »
Well, they always seem to consider the scandinavian gigs some of the best things ever happened to them in life.

And they tour constantly Italy so they're used to amazing crowds  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4232 on: November 07, 2019, 05:22:00 AM »
Well, they always seem to consider the scandinavian gigs some of the best things ever happened to them in life.
Cool, so now we know they're going senile  :lol

I mean... not to rag on Scandinavia much, there's probably a lot of great IM fans around here, but a band that's experienced thousands upon thousands of screaming Iron Maiden fans in Brazil must be kidding when they say Scandi gigs are their favorite.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4233 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
Cool, so now we know they're going senile  :lol

I mean... not to rag on Scandinavia much, there's probably a lot of great IM fans around here, but a band that's experienced thousands upon thousands of screaming Iron Maiden fans in Brazil must be kidding when they say Scandi gigs are their favorite.
Maiden have alot of support in Sweden compare to other Nordic countries I think. There was a resurgent during the 00s when they sold out stadiums in Gothenburg which I think took them by suprise.

Maiden got also alot of mainstream publicity in Sweden at that time, heck Nicko even became friend with a very beloved TV personality called Lasse Berhagen to the point they played golf together.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4234 on: November 07, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
That Cologne date is a mighty tempting target.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson