Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557636 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #4095 on: August 25, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »
I saw the show back to back nights in Brooklyn and said to myself "I need to see it again" and drove to hartford the next weekend.  It's worth it.  Sorry Arch for the stuff with your dog though, that's rough

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4096 on: August 25, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Just got my 1 ticket for Thursday Sep 5th at the Tacoma Dome.

Anyone else going to be at that show?

Thought long and hard about this one but after seeing them on the last few stops here decided to sit this one out. A couple other personal reasons came into play too. But based on what I've seen so far it looks like a hell of a show so I know you'll enjoy it.

Can't recall where you live but if it is anywhere in King County I assume you'll head to the Dome sometime around 3am that morning?
I got tickets for that show about 2/3 of the way back up on the right side of the dome.  I don't know if I'm gonna make it or not. My eight year old dog (ultimate best friend) got really sick and is trying to recover but it hasn't been a smooth ride. Over 3,000 in vet bills so far. Her condition is improving but it could go either way.. Music isn't even important to me at this time..  :(

That stinks, Arch.   I'm sorry to hear that.  Let me know if you're going.   I'm in 119 Row C.   Right side, near the stage, 3 rows back.  Seriously should be just about the perfect seat.  From the sound of it, 200 bones might be a steal.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4097 on: August 29, 2019, 12:49:15 AM »
Just saw Iron Maiden and they put on a fantastic show!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Its amazing how good Bruce is sounding and I really liked the setlist.  Pretty cool to include the two Blaze songs which sounded really good.  The stage show was excellent too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4098 on: August 29, 2019, 06:02:16 AM »
Awesome Jay!

That show could've gone on for 4 more hours. I didn't want it to end. Such an epic presentation.

Amazed at the stamina of the band through these songs. I know the show isn't quite 2 hours, but that is an intense setlist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4099 on: August 29, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
Still can't say enough about that show.    Bruce was really, really good, but Nico and Dave both put on quite the show (I can't believe Nico drums that whole set like he did; no shortcuts, no corners cut.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4100 on: August 29, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
Nicko was amazing. I don't know how he does it, honestly. But Jannick is amazing too. He never stops, and I found his playing on this tour particularly on point. But what amazes me is when he throws his left leg up on the riser. My hip hurts just looking at it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4101 on: August 29, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
 :lol yup, can't say enough good things about this tour

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: September 02, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »
Just saw Iron Maiden and they put on a fantastic show!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Its amazing how good Bruce is sounding and I really liked the setlist.  Pretty cool to include the two Blaze songs which sounded really good.  The stage show was excellent too.

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4103 on: September 06, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
So, I think we got a few people here that was at the show in Tacoma, Washington.  Can anyone vouch for what happened here?  Apparently, 10 security guards was punching a fan?  That's not cool and Bruce called them out on it before going into The Evil That Men Do.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-bruce-dickinson-blasts-security-punch-fan-head/

On a lighter note, one more week from Saturday before the show in LA.  I can't wait.  I've been listening to their entire discography (as I do for all bands before seeing their show).  I'm going to listen to Live After Death and I hope it's as great as people make it.

The LA show in the Banc of California Stadium is the largest venue that I have been to for a concert all year and I hope that despite the large area, this venue can be just as good as smaller rooms like the Anaheim House of Blues or the Wiltern Theater that has hosted my favorite concerts of all time.  I wonder how The Raven Age are doing as openers?  A plus to the LA show that we get Fozzy as an additional opener and I hope that their mentality that they will play like they are "Queen at Live Aid" mentality will hold true where they will play in a crowd that no one is there for them and have limited amount of set time, but they will leave a good impression in the end.  Of course, Iron Maiden will be Iron Maiden which will be no less than f'en awesome and people have been loving this tour a lot more than previous tours (which were already good) which is a great sign.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: September 06, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »
Dang, I saw that story but didn't realize it was the WA show - the one I was considering attending.

Jammindude went, and I wanted to hear his thoughts on the show anyway. JD WHERE ARE YOU?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4105 on: September 06, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
He's in the hospital recovering from his beating by security. He probably should've left his frilly sweater at home.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4106 on: September 06, 2019, 08:11:42 PM »
Dang, I saw that story but didn't realize it was the WA show - the one I was considering attending.

Jammindude went, and I wanted to hear his thoughts on the show anyway. JD WHERE ARE YOU?
I was at this show last night, and it is true. Bruce Dickinson stopped the show before they performed the encores calling out the security guards. He said this is the first time they had seen this happen on this whole tour and he hopes the kid that got beat up takes this f-n building to the cleaners! It has made headline news.   
Besides that, it was one FANTASTIC show!  I've seen Maiden three times and this was by far the best they've ever sounded and performed. I highly recommend seeing them on this tour, the sound was very clear and pleasant to the ears.  The stage and lighting were awesome, the backdrops and vivid colors of lighting added to the experience. 
 The only bummer thing is that I couldn't enjoy the show like I normally could because my dog died an untimely death on Monday. She was my ultimate best friend and I've been really torn up since. I thought the concert would be a good distraction but she kept pulling on my heart strings the whole time during the show, as I was trying to supress the tears.  :( :(
 I could tell it was a incredible show even though I was disconnected..

Edit.  Whoops,  I meant to reply to Anguyen92's first part of his post.  I didn't mean to steal jammindudes future reply to Cool Chris.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:26:27 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4107 on: September 06, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your dog. My cat died earlier this year, she had been with my since 2005, longer than I've been with my wife, and is was a very hard week. It happened on a Thursday and fortunately I was able to take off work Friday and kinda shut down and reboot over the weekend.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4108 on: September 06, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your dog. My cat died earlier this year, she had been with my since 2005, longer than I've been with my wife, and is was a very hard week. It happened on a Thursday and fortunately I was able to take off work Friday and kinda shut down and reboot over the weekend.
Oh man, so sorry about your cat too. That's a long time to have your best friend with you. Sadly, my dog was only eight years old  (Redbone Coon Hound).   Such a sweet awesome dog,  achh!!!
It's so hard to listen to music during a time like this. That's why I couldn't focus on the Maiden show very well last night.  My whole perspective is changed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:08:21 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4109 on: September 07, 2019, 07:53:12 AM »
Sorry for your loss. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4110 on: September 07, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
Sorry Arch

Regarding that beating, from what I read, it sounds like it was deserved.  Now maybe it was excessive, but I read that guy was being physically abusive to a lot of people in the crowd and then when security tried to stop he then beat up the security guard and hence got his own ass handed to him.  Maybe that's not true, but I think I'm actually not on Bruce's side here, but also from his perspective, he probably didn't know this guy needed to be beaten down to stop his own beating on others.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: September 08, 2019, 04:09:46 AM »
Sorry for your loss.

Indeed.

Sorry Arch

Regarding that beating, from what I read, it sounds like it was deserved.  Now maybe it was excessive, but I read that guy was being physically abusive to a lot of people in the crowd and then when security tried to stop he then beat up the security guard and hence got his own ass handed to him.  Maybe that's not true, but I think I'm actually not on Bruce's side here, but also from his perspective, he probably didn't know this guy needed to be beaten down to stop his own beating on others.

Yeah, one would think there would have had to have been some reason behind it.  Beating him senseless though is not really necessary when it's 10 on 1.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4112 on: September 08, 2019, 11:53:39 PM »

LISTENING TO THE NEW ODD LOGIC ALBUM!!

But seriously, I’ve mostly heard the same as most of you have. I was there and I saw Bruce call out security in between songs during the encore. (He didn’t “stop the show”...he addressed the issue between songs)

But from most eyewitness accounts, it appears that Bruce only saw the last part of the story. Most people are saying that the guy was drunk and  being extremely obnoxious  and then he himself assaulted security when they tried to remove him. I don’t fault Bruce. He absolutely did the right thing based on what he saw. He just didn’t see what happened before what he saw. If that makes any sense.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4113 on: September 08, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »
 BTW, the show was absolutely fantastic. I had an absolute blast and set list was completely off the chart. But the crowd was not without its drunken obnoxious stupidity.  There was a guy behind me that absolutely would not shut up the entire show. He had no clue what half the songs were, but kept screaming “YEAH MAN IRON F****IN MAIDEN OMG THIS IS F***IN AMAZING YA BABY !!!”

When I turned to him and told him that I’ve been waiting all night for this one song (Sign of the Cross)  he just wondered if it was Powerslave. When I told him it wasn’t, he listened for a bit and when he had no idea what the song was he just sat down in his chair and smoked a joint.   At least it got him to shut up for one song. LOL

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4114 on: September 09, 2019, 07:49:43 AM »
There was a totally drunk dude in front of me as well. Luckily he didn't really bug me but was annoying the hell out of those next to him. I wish security could kick those people out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4115 on: September 09, 2019, 07:53:55 AM »
There was very little of that kind of nonsense at my show.  I mean, it was a metal show, to be sure, and it was an energetic crowd, shall we say, but not that kind of dickishness.

I'm a Bruce fanboy and apologist, but I have to say... if it WASN'T that egregious, he's basically the PhD of metal, and so is smart enough and cogent enough to make that clear in his speech.   "Hey, you fuckers; I don't know what happened down here, but there's no call for beating up punters, and there's no call for punters to be assholes. We're here to have fun, and we're here leave the outside outside for a couple hours!"  Or something like that (I'm thinking of something like his speech before "Blood Brothers" on the last tour).   The only thing I can say is if the kid was backstage, maybe Bruce saw his wounds and was moved by that. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4116 on: September 09, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »
There was a totally drunk dude in front of me as well. Luckily he didn't really bug me but was annoying the hell out of those next to him. I wish security could kick those people out.
We were up in the stands at the Tacoma Dome show. We thought we were gonna have a great view until some late comers arrived after the opening band. This tall guy with a really big fat head and his tall skinny lanky son ended up right in front of us blocking our view. They were both about 6'3 and couldn't stay still.
 Throughout the ENTIRE Maiden set, the tall lanky kid kept jumping up and down pumping his fists above his head fast and vigerously while swaying his body side to side.  My friend that came with me is only 5'5 and it ruined the whole experience for her.  I'm glad this guy was having fun but he was not conscientious about the short woman behind him whatsoever. I even tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out that she couldn't see. He mellowed out for about a half a song and then started right up again. What a douche!
 We were 30 rows up about 2/3 the way back in the dome, there was no need for that. Maybe that dude was hoping the band would see him. I seriously wanted to knock his block off,, but I restrained.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: September 09, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »
My friend that came with me is only 5'5 and it ruined the whole experience for her.  I'm glad this guy was having fun but he was not conscientious about the short woman behind him whatsoever. I even tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out that she couldn't see. He mellowed out for about a half a song and then started right up again.

Well, I'm 5'6 (and male although that shouldn't be relevant) and this is what it's like for me at every show unless I'm lucky enough for it to be a seated show, and everyone remains seated. Explains why I go to so few now. I don't see why someone who's relatively tall should effectively have a more valuable ticket than someone who's relatively short. Imagine if the cinema worked in the same way.

And, yup, I know there are plenty of shorter people than me at any given show.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4118 on: September 10, 2019, 01:39:01 AM »
My mindset regarding tall people is this.  They paid their good money for tickets like the rest of us average/short height people.  They have as much of a right like everyone else to get a good spot and enjoy the show as they see fit as long as they are not intentionally being dicks.  I've had my issues of being behind tall people when they got rail spots in GA shows, but I wasn't bothered by it at all.  Luckily, I always find a way to get a proper view.  Honestly, while there was a pretty tall dude that got a rail spot that blocked my view at the DT show in LA, I wasn't mad at that guy (he must have paid a pretty penny to get that ticket) as I was really mad at this one dude that was standing on his chair a couple of rows in front of me and I was hoping his family would be considerate enough for him to try to get him down (I know my family would get me down if I pull something like being the only guy standing on a chair in a room full of people), but nope.  Stood on it for the second half of SFAM set.

Now when it comes to seats in arenas or stadiums, I would think that arenas would design their seat sections where the rows behind wouldn't have a terrible view for various heights if everyone is standing (especially in sports).  Then again, I find myself near aisles in concerts if I have seats so I have no issue getting to near the stairs if the possibility of tall people are really impeding my view that night.  I sure hope I don't run into any issues regarding having bad stage vantage during this show on Saturday.  Being seated behind ladies would help in that sense, but let's not kid ourselves.  I highly doubt single women or a group of women by themselves is going to be at a Iron Maiden show.  They are probably going to be with their families or with their boyfriend/husband (and give me another reason to be bummed out at my single life).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4119 on: September 10, 2019, 02:45:39 AM »
I'm near 6'4 and try to be mindful, but when I have a good spot then that is my spot. I don't usually like being in the front though, so I don't think I am that much of a view-blocker. And not that my length helps me all that much over here in the Netherlands, most of my friends are taller than me and it is not unusual someone taller is in front of me during concerts.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4120 on: September 10, 2019, 02:56:49 AM »
I'm 6'9, so I'm pretty much a nightmare for whoever stands behind me. Usually, there is a large empty space behind me whenever I attend a show. :lol

If I wan't a good spot, I'll come early, so whoever decides to take a spot behind me didn't think it through. If I don't care about being in the front, I'll come in later and pick a spot in the back. Again, if you decide to voluntarily stand behind me, you're probably not too bright. There's plenty of other space. But pushing through the people that have already found their places is out of limits for a tall guy like me, that would be a dick move.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:56:47 AM by Mladen »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4121 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00:32 AM »
Oi, tall people! My post is not a criticism of you, it's about catering for everyone so our tickets are worth the same :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4122 on: September 10, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »
I just saw other tall people discussing their concert experiences and felt the need to chime in, without looking four posts above.  :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: September 10, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
I'm 5'8", so more often than not I have someone in front of me that I have to look around, and after 52 (today!) years of figuring it out, it's not an issue.  I find more of a problem with people that don't acknowledge personal space more than I do with height.  If you're going to take a spot, then generally stay there.  If you're going to cram your way up to the front, don't spend the whole time with your face in your phone, or trying to facetime the show to your sister.   I forget the show now, but I had a woman next to me at one show and she had her phone on, but whenever she wasn't texting or whatever she curled her hand so that the screen was literally flashing in my face.  I finally put my hand over it and gently pushed it down. She apologized, but not two songs later...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4124 on: September 10, 2019, 10:09:11 AM »
I'm 5''2" so I'm always behind someone taller than me. Occasionally I'll be lucky to be behind someone my height or not tall enough to block my view.

I don't shove my way to the front. I'll usually find an opening and ask the people there if I can go to that empty opening or ask if i could get through. Most of the time they're cool and will let me through.

Now, what bugs me is the wall of boyfriends. Basically guys who go with their girlfriends (whom are on the rails up front) and they stand behind them. Usually, they dont know the bands and are likely there to protect their girl. They get all aggressive a bit when they're at a show with a lot of pushing and shoving, so I'm sorry if I get pushed into you, no need to elbow me in the face or stomach.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4125 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
HAHAHAHA, I read your first paragraph, and first thing I thought of was "you should push up against the rail and have one of your buddies stand behind you!"   Then I read the second paragraph... I'm with you on that.  "Look, bro, I'm not groping your ugly girlfriend during the main set, so tone it down." 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4126 on: September 10, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
HAHAHAHA, I read your first paragraph, and first thing I thought of was "you should push up against the rail and have one of your buddies stand behind you!"   Then I read the second paragraph... I'm with you on that.  "Look, bro, I'm not groping your ugly girlfriend during the main set, so tone it down."

:lol

I can easily make my way up by doing what I said above. I'll go as far as I can, usually people are cool about it. Even when I hit the wall. I'm happy where I stand as long as I can see and have a blast. I like finding spots where people get into it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4127 on: September 10, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
Tall people don't bother me at all. Yes it SUCKS and yes it has happened to me plenty of times.  I remember at an Incubus concert a guy in front of me was sitting and I was like hey man, get up (we were talking earlier, not like an aggressive but like hey have fun) and he said he was too tall to stand.  I felt bad for the guy, it's not the tall people's fault.  Now the jumping and hands in the air, ugh that's tough because you hope to be mindful of those around you, but it's a metal show and the person just wants to have fun. 

At the Knotfest NJ show a few weeks ago, my friend who's a former college football player came with me.  He's legit 6'5" if not 6'6 and has a big build.  He kept saying he wanted to stand but felt bad for the people two rows behind him (it was early that people hadn't come in yet) and then a few songs later the singer of Behemoth asked everyone to stand, so we did and we didn't sit after.  I feel bad for the short people and I feel bad for the tall who know they are blocking someone, but should they just sit all show like the guy at the Incubus concert?  What about when the metal music is asking for you to stand/jump/put your first in the air?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4128 on: September 11, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Architeuthis