Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 565031 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3955 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:12 AM »
The only thing I will agree with the Janick haters on, is when Adrian came back in and Janick took some of his solos.  Not only did he take those solos but he did butcher a lot of them.  That's something I will just never understand.  I know they were probably just trying to split them more evenly but the whole thing was weird.

I agree, but also if this was 15 years ago, at this point, if you are still bitching about Janick it just comes off as someone who likes to bitch IMO.  Janick has earned everything he's got in IM and adds a lot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3956 on: July 23, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Not only did he take those solos but he did butcher a lot of them. 

Some might say he took them and played them in his own style, making them his own.

I like Janick's solos - he has a fluid, improv almost psychedelic style that really brings something different to the Maiden sound. It's the contrast between the three guitar styles that really make Maiden what they are these days.

That's one thing I will agree on:  if you really listen, they are three VERY different players, and so they do complement each other (though I'm still a Dave guy after all these years.  He's the man, and probably in my top three favorite guitar players ever).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3957 on: July 23, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
Even though I said what I said there, I still love his playing style.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3958 on: July 23, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »
I think Jannick plays that way specifically to stand out from Dave and Adrian. I mean, this wasn't really his style on Tattooed Millionaire.

Plus as Stadler said, He's a real glue guy in the band. He's also not some guy that joined the band from blind auditions. He's been friends with the band long before he ever joined.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3959 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
I'll let you know that I have an official permission, signed by Rod Smallwood, and verified by a notary public, to hate Jannick Gers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3960 on: July 23, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »
If you hate Jannick Gers, you are simply not human.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3961 on: July 23, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
I'll let you know that I have an official permission, signed by Rod Smallwood, and verified by a notary public, to hate Jannick Gers.
But that's not enough..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3962 on: July 23, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »
Just unplug his guitar, and everything will be fine. Heck he’s not playing half the time anyway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3963 on: July 23, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3964 on: July 23, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
What's with Maiden all wearing their own band shirts now?  Janick started that; that was always verboten where I came from. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3965 on: July 24, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
They're Iron Maiden, they're trend setters. If they do it it means it must be right. That's how I live by  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3966 on: July 24, 2019, 05:22:54 AM »
I think Jannick plays that way specifically to stand out from Dave and Adrian. I mean, this wasn't really his style on Tattooed Millionaire.

Plus as Stadler said, He's a real glue guy in the band. He's also not some guy that joined the band from blind auditions. He's been friends with the band long before he ever joined.

For me, Janick is a different beast live and in the studio.  From a guitarist point of view, some of his studio solos are really quite interesting and thought out and some even quite clever from a technical point of view.  Live, I think he gets caught up in the emotion of the stage show but him as a guitarist is no fucking slouch.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #3967 on: July 24, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »
Got my tix for tonight. Tix that would have been $89.50 face before Live Nation fees procured for $50. Thank you Craig's List!!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3968 on: July 24, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
Got my tix for tonight. Tix that would have been $89.50 face before Live Nation fees procured for $50. Thank you Craig's List!!!

:metal :metal

This week is going so slow leading up to Maiden Weekend in Brooklyn™ I got my tickets settled with one friend joining me on the floor for Friday night and another friend joining me in the first row above the floor for Saturday and a hotel booked near Barclays Center for the weekend, plus the day off work Friday so I can get there nice and early  :metal :metal

This will be my 12 and 13th time seeing IM, and I don't have a single full IM song on my channel.  Looking to change that since I have my camera now and a good seat, and I looking to mix footage from the floor and stands of both nights into one full video. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3969 on: July 24, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »

:metal :metal

This week is going so slow leading up to Maiden Weekend in Brooklyn™ I got my tickets settled with one friend joining me on the floor for Friday night and another friend joining me in the first row above the floor for Saturday and a hotel booked near Barclays Center for the weekend, plus the day off work Friday so I can get there nice and early  :metal :metal

This will be my 12 and 13th time seeing IM, and I don't have a single full IM song on my channel.  Looking to change that since I have my camera now and a good seat, and I looking to mix footage from the floor and stands of both nights into one full video.

That's so awesome.

I just saw them last tour and It was sooo damn good I already want to see them again. Gotta keep an eye on stub hub or whatever to see if there's any decent deals closer to the show.

It blows my damn mind that they are like in their mid 60's and put on a show like they were 20  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3970 on: July 24, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
I would say that, in some respects, they are able to put on a show that is better than if they were in their 20s.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline max_security

« Reply #3971 on: July 24, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »
I have my tickets , VIP parking and lounge passes , and my cigarette lighter  ..I'm all set.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3972 on: July 24, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
Having seen them on the Number of the Beast tour, the Piece of Mind tour, and now the Book of Souls tour (with shows in between) I can agree with that.   It helps that Bruce and Steve have close to the same energy they always had, but more than made up for in experience.   

I haven't been this psyched for a show in a long time.    That Brooklyn show last year was everything you could ask for in a big arena metal show. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3973 on: July 24, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
You get your ticket situation sorted Stads?
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3974 on: July 24, 2019, 03:34:55 PM »
Can't wait for next Thursday!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3975 on: July 25, 2019, 07:17:54 AM »

Not yet; playing a little of the waiting game.   I have little doubt I'll be in at showtime, but while tickets are dropping in the secondary market, they're not where I'd like them to be yet (YET!). 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3976 on: July 25, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »

Not yet; playing a little of the waiting game.   I have little doubt I'll be in at showtime, but while tickets are dropping in the secondary market, they're not where I'd like them to be yet (YET!). 

One other thing I was thinking about was that you might want to check the FB event page for that show that Iron Maiden should have set up. If the Brooklyn show is any indication, there should be plenty of people posting trying to get rid of tickets. Not sure if you'll get a better price there (or if you'd buy not through a direct channel), but could be worth checking out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: July 25, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
Thank you!  I wouldn't have looked there! (Seriously; that's not sarcastic.  I'm not on FB.)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3978 on: July 25, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Be careful, most on facebook are scams.  Don't send anyone money without paypal protection.  I've successfully bought tickets under face value from people on facebook before but you got to dig through all the fakes to find the real people.  It's actually quite fun once you've realized the person is a scam so you can mess around back with them.  I got one guy real good, I screen shot the whole convo and I should find it and tweet it becuase it's hilarious and disgusting

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3979 on: July 25, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Thank you!  I wouldn't have looked there! (Seriously; that's not sarcastic.  I'm not on FB.)

You could try Cragslist too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: July 25, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »
Be careful, most on facebook are scams.  Don't send anyone money without paypal protection.  I've successfully bought tickets under face value from people on facebook before but you got to dig through all the fakes to find the real people.  It's actually quite fun once you've realized the person is a scam so you can mess around back with them.  I got one guy real good, I screen shot the whole convo and I should find it and tweet it becuase it's hilarious and disgusting

That happened to me with Bruce Springsteen Broadway tickets on Craigslist.   They were WAY underpriced ($200 maybe, I don't remember; when I finally did go, the guys next to me paid $6000 - SIX THOUSAND - for their seats) and while I didn't know at first, it didn't take long before it was clear it was a scam.   I played with them a while, then they either got wise or lost interest.

Offline max_security

« Reply #3981 on: July 26, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »
Well , I'm really glad I got to see them again , it has been a long , long time. I did come away with a different perspective of the third guitar player and the newer material did sound better than most of the classics. This venue is an open air type arrangement and the weather was incredibly nice . My seats were in the first seated row ( and slightly elevated ) and exactly center stage. I think 3 decades of rock and roll and construction have taken their toll on my ears  , I say this because I see some vids on YouTube that were taken very close to where I was seated and sound incredible ( much better than they did at the time to me ). And I wish Steve would write a book on aging , I know I would buy at least 1 copy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3982 on: July 26, 2019, 02:43:20 PM »
Well , I'm really glad I got to see them again , it has been a long , long time. I did come away with a different perspective of the third guitar player and the newer material did sound better than most of the classics. This venue is an open air type arrangement and the weather was incredibly nice . My seats were in the first seated row ( and slightly elevated ) and exactly center stage. I think 3 decades of rock and roll and construction have taken their toll on my ears  , I say this because I see some vids on YouTube that were taken very close to where I was seated and sound incredible ( much better than they did at the time to me ). And I wish Steve would write a book on aging , I know I would buy at least 1 copy.

The videos don't represent what you hear with your own ears.  I know this from my own experience recording concerts.  I know Maiden are a pretty loud band, a good camera can filter through the loudness and capture the instruments better than our own ears sometimes.  Having said that, sounds like you had a great view and night.  I wish they brought this show to my local amphitheater, really enjoy the outdoor shows on nice nights. 

But I'm in brooklyn now, just made a cocktail and going to head to the bars soon near the venue.  Maybe Montrose?  :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3983 on: July 27, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
All I can say is "WOW" that was a wild show.  For one, the crowd was dead on the floor.  Easily got up pretty close and was able to rock out without people all over me. Kind of odd, I've been up front for many Maiden shows, never experienced it where there wasn't a push when they hit the stage.  No pit, no one doing anything in fact it seems people actually gave me space.  The show was sold out too, maybe they limited the tickets for the floor or something but it seemed plenty of space up close which was really weird, but I had no issues with it.  I rocked out the entire show jumping and going wild, completely drenched in sweat.  Great work out, I couldn't believe the amount of energy I had.  They were so good.  Bring on night 2! But I won't be on the floor, kind of wish I was but the only issue with the floor is I can't get good video, I did get lots of clips though so I'll leave this one here and I hope to get a song or two tonight and have my full video of the weekend done by tomorrow night.

My tweet from Flight of Icarus

also, a can of Trooper beer was $18.50  :eek I had one and kept the can for memories but it definitely wasn't worth that price.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3984 on: July 29, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »
Back to that "WOW"....

Unbelievable weekend in Brooklyn.  I just can't believe how awesome of a show IM are putting out there.  This was the first time seeing IM since reading Bruce's autobiography, but so much of this show makes so much sense to me from Bruce's mind.  Also, the set list makes a lot of sense too.  Below is my long review...

The show starts off with more a of "war" theme.  There's camoflage on the stage (Nicko's drum set is hardly even visible as he's behind a camo mesh).  This place comes out and it's Aces High, a fighter plane song.  The plane isn't just sitting above my head, it's moving too with the propeller spinning.  It's going up/down, left/right, tilting and shifting.  Quite amazed how much it was able to move in that spot to really make it feel like a flying plane.  Bruce is also wearing his pilot hat (not sure what it's called) and just looks so fit for the part wearing it while belting out Aces High

Then we get some more older songs with Where Eagles Dare and 2 Minutes to Midnight, both with their own backgrounds (seems every song gets its own background these days, all very well done images too).  Bruce in a straight jacket, drawing up images from Peace of Mind.  Then Bruce gives his talk.  Night one he spoke a bout all the foreign flags he saw and both nights mentioned the 14k sized crowds and that metal is alive and well.  Then both nights his speeches went to the same spot, to talk about freedom.  The Clansman is such an awesome song.  Bruce has his sword for this song to just dance and swing it as he sings.  The crowd singing Freedom.  Amazing, song was everything I had hoped it would be live.  Following this, and with the camaflage still up on the stage, they go into the last "battle" song of The Trooper.  Having seen this so many times, it's really not one I love watching live anymore, but they added some flare to this to make it entertaining.  Eddie came out for a sword fight (Bruce was still swinging his sword from the Clansman) and after thier little skirmish (and a kick to the butt by Eddie to Bruce) Bruce comes back out with a musket with the American flag on it and shoots Eddie right as he sings the line "I pull the trigger feel the blow"

And now the show begins...

Seriously though, things change here and 5 songs in, off comes the mesh around the back of the stage.  Now you can see Nicko's kit fully and we get a new back drop and now some side panels to the stage all of awesome Eddie images in stained glass making the whole stage look like you are now inside an Iron Maiden church (makes me think of that guy from the Flight 666 film  :lol ) oh and also some chandeliers from the lights come down adding to the church feel.  It makes sense, they play Revelations followed by For The Greater Good of God (full song from night 2)  No extra thrills here, just two religious songs performed awesomely in a church themed stage.   

They then play The Wickerman.  I was up real close on Dave's side for night 1 and this was a real fun one to rock out too.  Quick hitter song.  Now came the centerpiece.  The side stain glass looking panels stayed up and another awesome image for the background came up.  It was like the church was now burning in the distance and we were in the graveyard near by.  A cross was placed in the center of the stage, Bruce came out with a hooded cape on, and I love the first verse of this song  :metal.  During the song, Bruce rips the cross out from the floor and it lights up as he holds it out towards the crowd before running away with it as the guitar instrumental part gets going.  Lots of fireworks too, reminiscent of Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666.  Bruce comes back out on the top of the back with the cross and places it down behind Nicko's kit with flames coming out from the stage as the song ends

After the burning is over, a large angel comes out behind Nicko... and it's about to burn too!  :lol The imagery here is so strong.  A cloudy background, the stained glass is gone although the side panels remain.  Definitely has a heavenly feel to the stage.  Bruce has a flame thrower and looks like he's having a blast just shooting flames wherever and whenever he pleases throughout the entire song.  Until we get more fireworks as the angel falls from getting too close to the sun with it's wings shriveling up as it goes down and away.  :hat (you can see my tweet I linked in my last post for that)

To me, that was the end of what made this show so unique and memorable and different than any other show I've seen from them.  From here on out we get the hits, but the show still delivers the good and the theatrics don't end just yet although nothing from here on out quite reaches the level of Sign of the Cross in terms of power and vibe from the music + show.  The go into Fear of the Dark next.  Bruce has a cool green light he carries around and this gets the crowd singing again (Flight of Icarus had the crowd engaged, but not everyone was singing along lets say).  It's fun, but its been done time and time again.  The Number of the Beast follows and this one brings lots and lots of fire as usual, maybe a bit more than usual though and I love some pyro.  The set closer is Iron Maiden of course and we get the big stage Eddie as well.

Maybe the most dissapointing song for me was the first of the encore.  I really love The Evil That Men Do, but something about this made me feel like no one in the band wanted to play it or something.  For once in the show, Bruce seemed uninterested and just essentially talked teh verses.  There was no stage show or anything, this felt like IM stripped down but just also felt flat.  The theatrics returned for Hallowed.  Bruce sings the beginning from a jail that appears on the stage and as he gets out of it, there's a noose hanging next to him that he swings and sings next to.  Just once again, amazing imagery.  It's also my favorite IM song so this one is just so awesome to be seeing again in the set, if there was ever one setlist staple for IM for me, this would be it.   :metal :metal

And they finish it off with Run to the Hills.  Maybe the loudest the crowd got each night.  It's not my favorite IM song, but it gets the crowd going and I can dig that.  And after all the fire works, all the lgihts, the stage show, the back drops, it all comes down to Bruce hitting the button for the TNT right at the end for one last explosion  :yarr (there were tiny explosions along his way to the TNT too  :rollin )

I got to say, my jaw is a bit floored still from how amazing this weekend was and how this band continues to amaze me.  I do think they are starting to show their age a bit, it seemed Nicko's timing was off quite a bit both nights and Bruce's vocals are not quite as strong live, but overall, the performance was pretty good all things considered.  I really wouldn't put too much stock into what I just said especially when it seems like they aren't using backing tracks or playing to a click.  It's raw metal music with Bruce's theater incorporated.  If you have a chance to see this, you must.

Anyway, if you want to watch all I explained, I have it all here: 

Maiden Brooklyn 2019

Mixed from both nights so you get a couple different perspectives, the audio and video is pretty strong here too especially since I had such an amazing view for night 2. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3985 on: July 29, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »
Awesome review!  :tup it was great to relive the show once again, this is possibly their best show ever in terms of theatrics and coreography. Let's all thank Bruce for that  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3986 on: July 29, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
I would do terrible things to acquire tickets for a decent Maiden seat. Holy hell that looks amazing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3987 on: July 29, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »
Wow Marc! Great shots. I'll watch the vids tonight. Seeing them on Thursday. Can't wait!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3988 on: July 29, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
That show looks amazing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3989 on: July 29, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Forgot to mention that Bruce did say that "at some date in the future, there might be some new maiden songs"  :metal and of course that they will return...

I would do terrible things to acquire tickets for a decent Maiden seat. Holy hell that looks amazing.

Make it out to the area next time they tour and I will get you a ticket through the fan club, I've been able to get good seats/floor no problem since using the fan club for this purpose.

Wow Marc! Great shots. I'll watch the vids tonight. Seeing them on Thursday. Can't wait!!

You are going to have an awesome time