Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566982 times)

TAC, Zantera, ozzy554 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ruba

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3885 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
Nicko is revealing the upcoming setlist the only way he could  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcnGjqdeTA

:lol I do enjoy Nicko's thick Cockney accent anytime.

If any of you guys and gals reading this has never listened to Listen With Nicko skits that were included in The First Ten Years-set (can be easily found in YouTube), go check them out. I heartily recommend them.

E: Watching the first part and Nicko talks about opening the set with an up-tempo song... Why didn't you bloody do it on The Final Frontier tour then you sods? I remember the show I saw, they played UFO's Doctor Doctor as last song before they went on stage and I was all giddy... and then started a four-minute video set to Satellite 15 which pretty much killed the mood there and then. Also, while The Final Frontier is a decent song, that's hardly a worthy set opener for a band that has songs like Prowler, Aces High, Moonchild and Be Quick Or Be Dead in their repertoire.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:55:07 PM by Ruba »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3886 on: July 12, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
"A CD!  We're gonna put it on a CD!"

Offline 425

« Reply #3887 on: July 12, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
E: Watching the first part and Nicko talks about opening the set with an up-tempo song... Why didn't you bloody do it on The Final Frontier tour then you sods? I remember the show I saw, they played UFO's Doctor Doctor as last song before they went on stage and I was all giddy... and then started a four-minute video set to Satellite 15 which pretty much killed the mood there and then. Also, while The Final Frontier is a decent song, that's hardly a worthy set opener for a band that has songs like Prowler, Aces High, Moonchild and Be Quick Or Be Dead in their repertoire.

Strongly, strongly, strongly disagree on this one. Satellite 15 is a great piece and the hype of it as a build-up to open the concert was really stunning to me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3888 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »

Strongly, strongly, strongly disagree on this one. Satellite 15 is a great piece and the hype of it as a build-up to open the concert was really stunning to me.

Of course, if you liked it more power to you.  :) To me, it was a let down.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »

I'm with Ruba, I really enjoy TFF as a song, but it's probably the worst opener IM have ever had.  It's just too low energy for them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3890 on: July 12, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
Is there any indication at all of a new album being in the works? Who knows how much more time Maiden has. I just want one more album - with GOOD production - before they call it a day.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3891 on: July 12, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
Is there any indication at all of a new album being in the works? Who knows how much more time Maiden has. I just want one more album - with GOOD production - before they call it a day.

None really from the band but there's been rumors they've already recorded it.  But that's just rumors, who knows.  They managed to keep TBoS pretty hush hush for awhile too so I'm hopeful but who knows. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3892 on: July 12, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »

I doubt they'd be kicking Kevin Shirley out. The last Iron Maiden album with good production was Fear of the Dark. Could they please goad Martin Birch out of retirement?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3893 on: July 12, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »

There's a whole thread on the Maidenfans forum dedicated to it. Lots of useless posts, but they are clueing together Instagram posts and stuff to piece together the recording times and place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3894 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »

There's a whole thread on the Maidenfans forum dedicated to it. Lots of useless posts, but they are clueing together Instagram posts and stuff to piece together the recording times and place.

heretodaygonetohell.com is like that for GnR. But it's much more "hey here's a crumb let's analyze it for the next 5 years until another crumb comes along"  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3895 on: July 13, 2019, 12:23:33 AM »
Hey bosk! Even Steve Harris disagrees with you.  :rollin

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-grammy-win/

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3896 on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »

Then Steve Harris is a tool.  The next time he thinks about forming an opinion, he should consult me first.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3897 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
At least it's a nice call back to when they got the #1 single in the UK with Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter, "cheating" by releasing multiple versions on Xmas Eve  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3898 on: July 15, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »

Then Steve Harris is a tool.  The next time he thinks about forming an opinion, he should consult me first.

:rollin

I love you, man. This cracked me up.

For the record, I don’t get the hate for El Dorado either. TFF is a fantastic top to bottom reunion album, and ED is great single.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3899 on: July 15, 2019, 06:52:00 PM »
So here's my take on El Dorado.

I feel like El Dorado would've made a better second track on The Book Of Souls, and Speed Of Light would've made a better second track on The Final Frontier.

I feel that each songs' themes fit better with the other album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3900 on: July 15, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
So here's my take on El Dorado.

I feel like El Dorado would've made a better second track on The Book Of Souls, and Speed Of Light would've made a better second track on The Final Frontier.

I feel that each songs' themes fit better with the other album.

This is actually an excellent point!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3901 on: July 15, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Actually?  :lol ;D

I made that point when The Book Of Souls came out a couple times, but was roundly ignored. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3902 on: July 15, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
El Dorado is the worst Iron Maiden song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3903 on: July 15, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »
Actually?  :lol ;D

I made that point when The Book Of Souls came out a couple times, but was roundly ignored. :lol

Well, I never saw it, and I'm agreeing with it now.  :angel:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3904 on: July 15, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
I remember liking El Dorado when it dropped but didn't take to TFF too highly, and still don't listen to it hardly ever. So I never thought about it possibly being better placed on Book of Souls. Will consider that next time I listen. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3905 on: July 16, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »
So not to overtake Kev's Classic albums thread with a Thin Lizzy/Iron Maiden discussion, I'm reposting this here..

Any suggestions for Thin Lizzy songs that have sparkles of what Iron Maiden would later be inspired from? I know that they were a huge influence for Maiden, so I'd be interested to know if there are songs that would make you think "Ah, yeah, I guess this is what inspired Iron Maiden". (I did listen to some stuff here and there and off the top of my head Emerald is a great song, but I wanted to see if there's some consensus about which songs more represent what Iron Maiden got inspired from).

So considering Steve Harris turned 14 in 1970, you'd have to think he was inspired by the early Eric Bell Era albums. Even though there was only one guitarist on these first three albums, there are a number of songs that have pretty interesting arrangements likeThe Rise And Fall Of The Funky Nomadic Tribes, not that this will make you think of Iron Maiden, but it's a cool arrangement for a 1972 song. Knowing Steve was also influenced by Yes, Jethro Tull, and Wishbone Ash, song arrangements seemed to be something that interested him.

And Gonna Creep Up On You (not a great song by any stretch..) starts out with some serious bass. I mean Steve Harris played basically the same bass guitar as Lynott.

Now I wouldn't start anyone on Thin Lizzy on their first three albums. But once Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson joined the band, there developed a harmonized two guitar style that is Thin Lizzy's greatest gift to Iron Maiden.

That classic era included Fighting (1975), Jailbreak and Johnnie The Fox (both 1976) and Bad Reputation (1977).

No song really screams IRON MAIDEN to me.

Obviously, there's Massacre which Iron Maiden actually covered.

You mentioned Emerald, which would be the first Thin Lizzy song I would play for an Iron Maiden fan wanting to dive into Thin Lizzy.

I think Steve Harris would have generally been influenced by Thin Lizzy's storytelling and imagination. Again, the musical component was the twin guitar harmonies.

I'm not sure what Nicko's influences are. Pretty sure he was already professionally playing in the mid 70's, but I always found that the drumming to Opium Trail reminds me of Nicko.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3906 on: July 16, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »
Yay, thanks a lot!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3907 on: July 19, 2019, 08:02:33 AM »
Setlist "Spoilers" from the 1st night.

01. Aces High
02. Where Eagles Dare
03. 2 Minutes To Midnight
04. The Clansman
05. The Trooper
06. Revelations
07. For The Greater Good Of God
08. The Wicker Man
09. Sign Of The Cross
10. Flight Of Icarus
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. The Number Of The Beast
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Evil That Men Do
15. Hallowed Be They Name
16. Run To The Hills

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3908 on: July 19, 2019, 08:04:44 AM »
No song dropped for Wrathwchild  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3909 on: July 19, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »
Other than the length (seems short), that's a great set.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »

:lol  :metal

Next week is Maiden week for me, back to back nights in Brooklyn again.

Speaking of.... I have an extra ticket for the July 27th show at Barclays center, first row seat above the floor.  I can't sell it according to ticket master and none of my friends bit on it, so if someone wants the ticket, please shoot me a message.  I am able to transfer it on ticketmaster.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3911 on: July 19, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
Holy shit, you're right!  :omg:

In terms of length, this is a regular set for them, around 100 minutes. That's what they've been doing at least for the last 10 years since I've been following them.

Offline 425

« Reply #3912 on: July 19, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »

Yep, thrilled to see the setlist made it completely intact, complete with a whole lot of my favorite songs. Honestly, this is maybe their best setlist since they just plopped the full AMOLAD into the first set.

Just 2 months away for me!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3913 on: July 19, 2019, 08:31:17 AM »
In terms of length, this is a regular set for them, around 100 minutes. That's what they've been doing at least for the last 10 years since I've been following them.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  I think they've sometimes gone just a bit over that, but not by a lot.  I was also just looking at the number of songs.  But they've got a couple of longer ones in there, so that makes the set longer than it looks just going off the number.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3914 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Indeed, three songs alone (Clansman, Greater Good and Sign of the Cross) make up for 30 minutes of showtime.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3915 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »
Indeed, three songs alone (Clansman, Greater Good and Sign of the Cross) make up for 30 minutes of showtime.

I'm not sure which of these three I'm looking forward to the most.  Probably Sign if I had to choose, but this is the meat of the set for me.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3916 on: July 19, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
Yep, this will please me nicely when they come to LA.  I don't know what my expectations are when it comes to the set of the tour when it started (because I know they were going to perform tremendously).  I was just hoping for a few songs in the modern reunion era and they got some fine picks that I want to see, especially For the Greater Good of God.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3917 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Man, I am REALLY tempted to go see them.  I still have never done so.  But it also really is not in the budget.  Hmm...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3918 on: July 19, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »
Man, I am REALLY tempted to go see them.  I still have never done so.  But it also really is not in the budget.  Hmm...

You live once. Do it :metal

:biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3919 on: July 19, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »

Your opportunities are getting less and less, I don't expect a few of these songs to ever get played again.  Or you could just fly to NYC next weekend and Ill give you my extra ticket.