Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 570700 times)

Grappler and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3640 on: January 03, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »
Listening to a lot of Final Frontier this week, what a great record. I've always kind of dismissed it, maybe because i don't like Satellite 15, or maybe the artwork. But every song from Final Frontier to The Talisman is, at least, pretty good, with some real awesome tunes like Coming Home, Starblind, Isle of Avalon and, of course, The Talisman. I'm not so hot on the last two songs, but, anyway, this is a strong album!

Reunion-era Maiden is so underrated...

I think The Final Frontier is amazing. I put it on the level of AMOLAD. I think it's every bit as good musically, and a bit lighter shaded.

The Talisman cracked my Maiden Top 10. And Coming Home is incredible. I like S-15 for what it is. Quite different. I just wish it was its own track and not connected to the title track.

I like TFF but it doesn't touch AMOLAD. Some fantastic songs as you mentioned with the Talisman and Coming Home and I echo your sentiment that S-15 was a separate track. That being said I think too many of the songs are too samey and overly long. While a solid album it's easily at the bottom of the reunion albums for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3641 on: January 03, 2019, 08:20:49 AM »
TFF doesn't come close to AMOLAD IMO.  TFF is my least favorite of the re-union era but that doesn't mean it's bad, just was a bit dissapointing on release but it's a pretty solid album and really amazing when you think that IM had evolved in a way to even make such an album.

I like S-15 for what it is. Quite different. I just wish it was its own track and not connected to the title track.

Yeah, i agree they should've made it two separated tracks.

+1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3642 on: January 03, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Pretty damn cool! :metal

Four-fifths of the original IRON MAIDEN lineup reunited for the first time in 42 years this past weekend.

Bassist Steve Harris, who formed IRON MAIDEN on Christmas day in 1975, was photographed with the band's very first singer, Paul Mario Day, and guitarists Dave Sullivan and Terry Rance. Missing from the photo op was drummer Ron "Rebel" Matthews.

Wow, for some reason that really struck a chord with me.  Steve has a rep for being  unsentimental, and I don't think anyone would argue that Iron Maiden achieved what they've achieved to a large degree because of 'Arry's force of will, but that is such a touching thing to see.   

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3643 on: January 03, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
Pretty damn cool! :metal

Four-fifths of the original IRON MAIDEN lineup reunited for the first time in 42 years this past weekend.

Bassist Steve Harris, who formed IRON MAIDEN on Christmas day in 1975, was photographed with the band's very first singer, Paul Mario Day, and guitarists Dave Sullivan and Terry Rance. Missing from the photo op was drummer Ron "Rebel" Matthews.

Wow, for some reason that really struck a chord with me.  Steve has a rep for being  unsentimental, and I don't think anyone would argue that Iron Maiden achieved what they've achieved to a large degree because of 'Arry's force of will, but that is such a touching thing to see.   
Yea no doubt, it's funny that this lineup lasted a year except for Ron that's not in the picture, he lasted until 1977 until he got replaced by Thunderstick and he in turn lasted exactly one show until he got sacked.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: January 04, 2019, 04:33:18 AM »

Really?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Art

« Reply #3645 on: January 04, 2019, 04:56:37 AM »

Really?

yeah, sorry for stating the obvious  :blush :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3646 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »

Really?

No I was serious.  First I've ever heard the reunion era as underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: January 04, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
I like TFF but it doesn't touch AMOLAD. Some fantastic songs as you mentioned with the Talisman and Coming Home and I echo your sentiment that S-15 was a separate track. That being said I think too many of the songs are too samey and overly long. While a solid album it's easily at the bottom of the reunion albums for me.

Agreed 100%.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Art

« Reply #3648 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:58 AM »

Really?

Not here on DTF, but among regular Maiden fans? I think so, a lot of fans stick to the classic era, ignore the Blaze albums, and maybe heard BNW. DOF, AMOLAD and TFF are largely ignored by a big chunk of the fan-base. Or at least that's my impression here in Brazil.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3649 on: January 07, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

Really?

Not here on DTF, but among regular Maiden fans? I think so, a lot of fans stick to the classic era, ignore the Blaze albums, and maybe heard BNW. DOF, AMOLAD and TFF are largely ignored by a big chunk of the fan-base. Or at least that's my impression here in Brazil.

That's here in the US...people complained when they played AMOLAD in its entirety. I would've loved to see that, especially for The Legacy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3650 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »
That's here in the US...people complained when they played AMOLAD in its entirety.

One important point to consider is fuck those people.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3651 on: January 07, 2019, 12:09:43 PM »
That's here in the US...people complained when they played AMOLAD in its entirety.

I'll never forget yelling at some of these people on my way out of the show.  So many vocal complaints about the set on the escalators leaving the arena after I just had an amazing musical experience seeing that album live.  I couldn't hold myself back from telling these people they were too busy being upset not seeing the trooper for a 20th time that they missed seeing The Legacy for likely the only time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3652 on: January 07, 2019, 12:10:08 PM »
I thought I accidentally clicked on the Neal Morse thread again for a second.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3653 on: January 07, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGo0rHO_dN0
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3654 on: January 07, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »

:lol I have the bootleg of that concert, one of the best videos if you want to see IM perform all of AMOLAD.  What sucks so much about it though is the small crowd (that's an arena, but you can tell people didn't go to this show and it was after the NJ show that I attended and people were not ahppy about so it makes sense) and that small crowd definitely rubs off on the band who isn't giving their best show.  I really wish there were a good professional video of the full album live.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3655 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
To think how time puts things into perspective... back then, in the moment, it was the newest thing and very controversial - Iron Maiden are playing their latest album in its entirety, OMG! 13 years later, and some other albums and some major classic tours, now it's a relatively short and mostly undocumented rare event that people are now nostalgic for, and would want to have seen if given the chance but missed it back then.

I'm also way more appreciative of the album now that I was back then, but still I enjoyed the concert quite a lot. Also, the tank was FUCKING GLORIOUS. To people who missed it - the best video bootleg can't give the idea of how massively awesome it was to see Eddie rise up from the tank during Iron Maiden.

Oh, and a little tidbit I remembered now - in The Longest Day there's a line that goes "The world's alight, the cliffs erupt in flame", in the studio version Bruce sings is all quietly - at my show he screamed the second part, "The world's alight, the cliffs ERUPTS IN FLAME!!!!!!", and even if the were no pyros or explosions, I swear I just imagined it in my head thanks just to the sheer power of Bruce's voice and performance  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3656 on: January 07, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »

Found this at the local arcade with my 7 year old. Sorry for bad cell picture.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3657 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »
I didn't realize Dave Murray was so short.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3658 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »

I'm sure they have that now in Denver LoDo.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3659 on: January 07, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »

Exactly....That applies to all Bands.

Offline Art

« Reply #3660 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:15 AM »

awesome  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3661 on: January 08, 2019, 05:41:41 AM »
For your game room or man cave, now you can have your very own!

https://www.gameroomguys.com/Stern-Iron-Maiden-Premium-Pinball-Machine?dfw_tracker=20153-60650
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:33 AM »
its on sale too!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3663 on: January 08, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
That would be awesome to have. Too bad I'll only save 100 bucks if I buy it.  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3664 on: January 08, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
its on sale too!

That’s quite a sale! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3665 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:27 AM »
its on sale too!

That’s quite a sale! :lol

I laughed at that too but man I want one. I have giant basement where that would fit perfectly.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3666 on: January 08, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »

1Up?

It’s also in Boulder and Fort Collins. Pretty fun game.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3667 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
If I had enough frivolous, throw-away income that I could afford a pinball machine, that would be the one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: January 08, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
There was a KISS pinball machine at this arcade as well, but I advised her to not play that one, as it might actually suck as much as the band does.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3669 on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »

1Up?

It’s also in Boulder and Fort Collins. Pretty fun game.

Yup...love that place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3670 on: January 08, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
There was a KISS pinball machine at this arcade as well, but I advised her to not play that one, as it might actually suck as much as the band does.

There's a bad parenting joke in there somewhere.... :) 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3671 on: January 08, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »

It's the same game that's been there for 20 years?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3672 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »

It's the same game that's been there for 20 years?

It would probably suck all the money out of her pocket/wallet/purse, whether she wanted to keep playing or not.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3673 on: January 09, 2019, 04:49:57 AM »
Anyway, Bruce Dickinson comes this sunday in Milan for his book reading, and I will be seeing him thanks to a kickass Christmas gift!  :metal

I'd really, really love to meet him personally, but I don't know... it's a cold winter day, I could hang out potentially for hours and for nothing outside the venue (actually a big theater) in the chance to catch him on his arrival, or stay outside once the conference is over to catch him when he comes out, but I assume he will be well "escorted".... furthermore I'm afraid that if he has no time or if he's curt I may feel bad about it 'cause he's basically my hero and role model and, while as I type this I completely understand that such a famous person has the right to not subject himself to the screaming adoration of scores of dozens of fans, being there in the moment and being shunned away rudely by him would "hurt", even if I'm not entitled to anything.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3674 on: January 09, 2019, 05:22:27 AM »
Bruce also doesn't have a reputation for engaging with fans. Me and my buddies were lucky enough to catch him several years ago and he was kind, but we were also terrified by the possibility that we might get snubbed by our hero.  :lol