Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557492 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3465 on: September 30, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
Who was it and where. Maybe some of it’s on YouTube?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3466 on: September 30, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
Yay 100 pages!

Doesn't Harry have a "rule" that if it wasn't played at least once on the initial tour of that album , it never gets played?

Ha self-imposed "rules."

Not sure if this is a bird walk, but Doctor Doctor might be a top 10 IM song for me. (Yes I know it's a UFO song...). Hearing it come on the PA for my first IM concert, man that pumped me up. It was weird because I would have sworn I knew the song, (I was singing along with the chorus!) but couldn't for the life of me place it. At my first IM show, I wasn't as big a fan as I am now and didn't know their discography inside and out. What album was this from anyway?! And why doesn't it sound like BRuce singing? I was also aware of UFO as a band, but couldn't have told you anything about them, including that it was originally their song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3467 on: September 30, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
I was also aware of UFO as a band, but couldn't have told you anything about them, including that it was originally their song.

Until I heard of Dream Theater, UFO were my co-favorite band with Iron Maiden.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3468 on: September 30, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »

Nah, I checked and nothing's there, it was a gig in a small bar anyway (well, the bar wasn't that small, the stage was).

EDIT: Found a video of Fear of the Dark, they covered the stained glass windows which were present, as you can see the singer found a copy of Bruce's clothes : D

https://www.facebook.com/astarte.diabula.75?hc_ref=ARQ-88bTK-l0BcwhCLd4nvUloi-M3_e5XmlfyPAyoHxorbFIV0UQUs49zaDMXF4wDhY&fref=nf

(And I am front row there, hehe)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:58:55 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3469 on: September 30, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
Damn. That is a small stage.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3470 on: September 30, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »

Nah, I checked and nothing's there, it was a gig in a small bar anyway (well, the bar wasn't that small, the stage was).

EDIT: Found a video of Fear of the Dark, they covered the stained glass windows which were present, as you can see the singer found a copy of Bruce's clothes : D

https://www.facebook.com/astarte.diabula.75?hc_ref=ARQ-88bTK-l0BcwhCLd4nvUloi-M3_e5XmlfyPAyoHxorbFIV0UQUs49zaDMXF4wDhY&fref=nf

It's a facebook page. I don't see the video.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3471 on: September 30, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »

It's a facebook page. I don't see the video.

Scroll down.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3472 on: September 30, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Do I have to sign in?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3473 on: October 01, 2018, 01:07:46 AM »
Nope, it's public, so you should be able to see it even without logging in...

Damn. That is a small stage.

Sure it is, and of course from a YT video it looks cheap and "sad". But when you're there enjoying the tunes and seeing the musicians play the Maiden songs and solos right in your face, you don't really mind. I've even seen an actual band playing there, and it was great to be so near to the point that, as encouraged to do so by the bass player and backup singer, I could grab his microphone and sing along  :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:35:10 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3474 on: October 01, 2018, 03:49:21 AM »
Yay 100 pages!

Doesn't Harry have a "rule" that if it wasn't played at least once on the initial tour of that album , it never gets played?

Ha self-imposed "rules."

Not sure if this is a bird walk, but Doctor Doctor might be a top 10 IM song for me. (Yes I know it's a UFO song...). Hearing it come on the PA for my first IM concert, man that pumped me up. It was weird because I would have sworn I knew the song, (I was singing along with the chorus!) but couldn't for the life of me place it. At my first IM show, I wasn't as big a fan as I am now and didn't know their discography inside and out. What album was this from anyway?! And why doesn't it sound like BRuce singing? I was also aware of UFO as a band, but couldn't have told you anything about them, including that it was originally their song.

Blaze does a great job on Doctor Doctor.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: October 01, 2018, 06:33:07 AM »
I was just playing best of the b sides from Eddies Archive a couple of weeks ago. A few weaker songs on there but lots of cool songs and lots of cool covers, including Doctor Doctor. Reach out and That Girl are songs that you wouldn’t expect from Iron Maiden and definitely sound out of place for the band, but they work really well. Futureal with Bruce on vocals is kick ass too!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3476 on: October 01, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
I just saw pictures of a semi-nude woman apparently named "Ass-tart Diablo".  I did not see any Iron Maiden cover band. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3477 on: October 01, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »
I just saw pictures of a semi-nude woman apparently named "Ass-tart Diablo".  I did not see any Iron Maiden cover band.

Right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3478 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
I was just playing best of the b sides from Eddies Archive a couple of weeks ago. A few weaker songs on there but lots of cool songs and lots of cool covers, including Doctor Doctor. Reach out and That Girl are songs that you wouldn’t expect from Iron Maiden and definitely sound out of place for the band, but they work really well. Futureal with Bruce on vocals is kick ass too!
Yea all those are nice gems!  :tup

Btw I recently heard their take on Hocus Pocus.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3479 on: October 03, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
For some reason I never saw this before, but God damn, Bruce!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhf8caVIiI
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: October 03, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »

wow he is such a boss in this  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3481 on: October 03, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »

Yeah that's awesome. I've seen that before.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3482 on: October 03, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »
I've never seen that before. Too bad it was so short.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3483 on: October 04, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
There's more out there, including a full performance of Jerusalem with Ian Anderson, which is even better than the little jam on Revelations.  It's amazing to hear him belt that without being near the microphone though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3484 on: October 04, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
There's also clips out there of Bruce rehearsing Deep Purple's Concerto.

At this point I'd love to have a solo album by Bruce called "Whatever I Felt Like Singing this Morning". With the contents of the album being true to the title.

Just sing anything Bruce, please, and let us hear it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3485 on: October 04, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
There's also clips out there of Bruce rehearsing Deep Purple's Concerto.

At this point I'd love to have a solo album by Bruce called "Whatever I Felt Like Singing this Morning". With the contents of the album being true to the title.

Just sing anything Bruce, please, and let us hear it.

And add Roy Z, I would love so much for Bruce to make more solo music.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3486 on: October 04, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

Yeah, this is great, but what's up with his moves  :lol
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
I really liked the Jerusalem; that glissando at 3:47 sent a chill up my arms.

I've told this story before but it's worth retelling.  I saw Maiden on the '83 Piece of Mind tour.  I was one or two rows up on the left side of the stage.  The band opened with "Where Eagles Dare" and Bruce's mic wasn't working.  We could actually hear him singing - albeit very very faintly, and only on the high parts like "in the night" - over the band.  After the first verse he came over to our side of the stage and was yelling at someone, then he ran out and a few seconds later the mic came back on.   I've heard singers "raw" at shows - Michael Stipe, Candace Night and Gene Simmons (though I was on stage then) come to mind - but nothing even close to that.   

Offline Bentower

« Reply #3488 on: October 04, 2018, 11:17:20 PM »

Yeah, this is great, but what's up with his moves  :lol

I kept thinking about the straitjacketed Eddie on the cover of Piece of Mind.  :lol
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3489 on: October 05, 2018, 04:52:29 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3490 on: October 19, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
Iron Maiden is re-releasing their catalog with the 2015 Remasters. Has anyone heard the Remasters? Would this be worth the purchase?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3491 on: October 19, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »
Iron Maiden is re-releasing their catalog with the 2015 Remasters. Has anyone heard the Remasters? Would this be worth the purchase?

I haven't heard them, but I know that they were put out on iTunes in 2015 and marketed as "remastered for iTunes," which makes me think that they were just remastered for MP3/mobile listening.  I've been tempted to find them since I do the majority of my listening now from my phone or computer.

I'm sure you can find them in the iTunes store and sample them.  Beyond that, maybe someone else can be more specific?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3492 on: October 20, 2018, 12:13:10 AM »
Steve said he thinks these are the best they've sounded. Curious to hear DoD particularly as i love it but the mastering on the original is nasty.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3493 on: October 20, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
Will the remasters include booklets?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: October 21, 2018, 04:14:30 AM »
If these remasters have noticeable sound differences, I'm temped to get them all.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3495 on: October 21, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »
I thought I typed up a post here about the new remasters but apparently not. I’ve heard almost all of them on vinyl, I’m assuming the CDs will be very similar (maybe just slightly more compressed). If that’s the case, here is what I recommend (in order of priority):

Dance of Death - Not heavily distorted the way the original was. That awful crunch is gone and the music breathes a bit more. The album is finally listenable.

Fear of the Dark - better than the original CD release. I haven’t heard the 98 version but knowing the general quality of those remasters, it’s probably better than that one too.

X Factor/Virtual XI - These albums obviously had a lot of mixing problems which aren’t fixed here, but the mastering is slightly better. They’re a bit more balanced and Virtual XI isn’t as brick walled.

The other reunion albums are fine, definitely a slight improvement but I doubt most people will be able to tell the difference. The original mastering on those albums is fine anyway. No Prayer on vinyl was a bit compressed so I would stay away from it if you have the original CD. Same goes for the 80s albums, they were a bit more inconsistent in quality. That being said, if all you have are the CDs released in 1998, these new ones would probably be an improvement (especially SIT and Seventh Son). Of course you can also just download them right now on iTunes.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: October 21, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
Thanks Mosh, sounds quite positive then.  I would be interested to see if the cd's have booklets also, I have a feeling they won't though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3497 on: October 21, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
I'm not buying anything a second time. I've never had a problem with any of their albums.

How many fucking remasters are Iron Maiden going to tempt their fans into paying for? What's this, like the 4th or 5th time they've rereleased their catalog? 

I love Iron Maiden, and have always thought they were cool, but I hate this shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: October 21, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
I'm not buying anything a second time. I've never had a problem with any of their albums.

How many fucking remasters are Iron Maiden going to tempt their fans into paying for? What's this, like the 4th or 5th time they've rereleased their catalog? 

I love Iron Maiden, and have always thought they were cool, but I hate this shit.

But, but, you can get a box and a figurine!

https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/the-studio-collection-remastered

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: October 21, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

Kind of on board with this too.   I bought the Castle remasters because I wanted the b-sides (they came with a bonus disk) but while I've listened to a couple of the enhanced ones, they weren't that different, and there wasn't anything new, so I passed then like I'm probably going to pass now.