Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 571628 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #3115 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
Speaking of the future, looks like a summer 2018 tour in Europe is almost a given, and that the assumption that it has a "Legacy of the Beast" theme might be true. Furthermore, Kevin Shirley confirmed he has some studio time with Maiden ahead of him...

Best case scenario: in the winter Maiden record a new album, do in the summer another Gimme the Ed style tour (random classics and a new song) and then it's new album tour  :metal

At worst, we'll still get some live activity next year with a new set, Bruce is reported to have said multiple times at shows that last year was the final run for The Book of Souls!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3116 on: October 14, 2017, 03:17:01 AM »
Best case scenario: in the winter Maiden record a new album, do in the summer another Gimme the Ed style tour (random classics and a new song) and then it's new album tour  :metal
This, please.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3117 on: October 17, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
Iron Maiden's facebook page is currently live with Bruce Dickinson talking about the book.  Just happened to stumble on it, and so far, it's interesting to hear him speak and answering questions.

https://www.facebook.com/ironmaiden/

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3118 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Thanks! didn't know it, I managed to watch the very end. Last question: "Can you scream for me Bruce?" and he did, Number of the Beast style  ;D :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3119 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
Thanks! didn't know it, I managed to watch the very end. Last question: "Can you scream for me Bruce?" and he did, Number of the Beast style  ;D :metal

Yea, that was awesome  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3120 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
I was watching it for a bit. Really good. Makes me want to get the book now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3121 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
I'm tempted to watch it all, since the video is saved anyway.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: October 17, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
I'm tempted to watch it all, since the video is saved anyway.

Yea, I may go back and watch from the beginning, I only caught the last 15 minutes.  I definitely want to get his book.

Offline efx

« Reply #3123 on: October 17, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
That was so cool. I flew from Sweden to London to see this live and it was totally worth it. Got an autographed book as well and it was surreal seeing someone I have admired since the 80's this up close and personal.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3124 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:19 AM »
Working my way through the video. Very interesting so far. Bruce is definitely an engaging presenter.  :tup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3125 on: October 18, 2017, 02:58:25 AM »
Working my way through the video. Very interesting so far. Bruce is definitely an engaging presenter.  :tup

I watched just the beginning, probably I will watch it in bits and pieces until the end. The stream is 2h16'' but it started earlier so it's a little less than 2 hours of actual content. I've reached the moment when he shows the note he got for pissing in the headmaster's dinner, one of the things I remember knowing since my early days of Maiden knowledge  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3126 on: October 18, 2017, 04:22:36 AM »
Q & A session: "Would you rather fight off 100 duck-sized Eddies, or 1 Eddie-sized duck?"

:rollin

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3127 on: October 18, 2017, 04:26:14 AM »
Q & A session: "Would you rather fight off 100 duck-sized Eddies, or 1 Eddie-sized duck?"

Talk about fear of the duck  :D

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3128 on: October 18, 2017, 04:30:14 AM »

Talk about fear of the duck  :D

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3129 on: October 18, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »

That's actually a pretty cool question, all things considered.   Though, when Bruce does it, it's not a question.  :) :) :) :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: October 20, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »
The Iron Maidens Name Their 8 Favorite Iron Maiden Guitar Solos

https://www.musicradar.com/news/iron-maidens-greatest-guitar-solos-by-the-iron-maidens

Some fine choices there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:05:26 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3131 on: October 20, 2017, 02:46:47 AM »
Nice to see Sea of Madness in that list. That's one of my favourite IM solos. Classic Adrian Smith.  :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3132 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Sea of Madness is one of my top picks for a rare track to bring back. I think Bruce would sound really good on it today, maybe even better than in 86.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3133 on: October 20, 2017, 08:02:20 AM »
Glad to see Powerslave's there, but no Seventh Son of a Seventh Son? the final three music are eargasmic.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3134 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
Those chicks are awesome.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3135 on: October 22, 2017, 05:16:35 AM »
Reading the book now. Very funny and insightful.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3136 on: October 22, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »
Saw a Twitter link, an interviewer asks Bruce for future plans, and he jokes saying "I can't tell you, I could but I'd have to kill you... can I tell you in December?"

That would be a good time to announce summer tour dates!  :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: October 22, 2017, 07:14:55 AM »
Reading the book now. Very funny and insightful.  :metal

Didn't know it had been released - I just placed an order for it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3138 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
My Bruce book is here!!!!!!!!! :metal

EDIT: I'm 160 pages in, and I must say I pretty disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:37:43 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3139 on: October 31, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
I've now gone through another 50 pages. I want my money back.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3140 on: October 31, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
I've now gone through another 50 pages. I want my money back.

Why?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3141 on: October 31, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
I'm a victim of my own expectations I guess. This is NOT an Iron Maiden book. He glosses over critical points of the band's history. At NO point, and I'm up to the Skunkworks parts, does he give any insight into anything band related. It's just stream of consciousness ramblings. Maybe he should've used an outline as opposed to simply writing about his life chronologically.

He doesn't speak to his relationships to anyone in the band. Entire chunks of the band's history wiped away with merely a sentence or two.
I recently read an interview where it mentioned he doesn't include anything about his wife and kids. I mean, how can you write an autobiography and not include your family?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3142 on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »
I just got my book (and the vinyl box!) in the mail. Sorry to hear you're not liking it TAC, but I think I'm going to enjoy it for all the reasons you dislike it. For one thing, I was hoping that this book would spend minimal time on Maiden. I've heard the Maiden stories and, as long as the band is still active*, there's only so much Bruce is going to say in a book about them. Besides, I wanted to learn more about his solo career and his outside endeavors. The promotion of this book led me to believe that this would give Maiden fans insight into how much more there is to Bruce than Maiden, which is kind of his thing anyway. Every time Bruce is on a major news network (CNN/BBC/etc) it's something to the effect of "you probably know him from Iron Maiden but did you know he is ALSO a pilot and entrepreneur?"

As for the family stuff, I'm probably in the minority here but the stuff in musician autobiographies about their upbringing and family life always bores me. I get the appeal, I really do, but it does nothing for me. So I don't mind that stuff being absent.

I did get the impression from skimming the thing that there's a lot of rambling though. We'll see how that goes. Frank Zappa's book is like that too but, unlike Bruce, he used a ghost writer so Bruce's book is likely worse in that aspect. He also wrote most of it by hand in a bar, which is cool, but I'm expecting something extremely disorganized. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

*The big problem with a lot of these rock bios is there's only so much you can say about the band while the band is still active. He probably doesn't want to give out more of a scoop on Maiden than the rest of the guys are comfortable with and he probably isn't going to candidly talk about his relationship with Steve as long as they're still bandmates. The band's management probably plays a part in that as well. It would've been nice for Bruce to wait until Maiden call it quits, but I get the feeling the cancer scare motivated him to get this out ASAP. He has hinted at another book though, so maybe we'll get something with more of a Maiden focus.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3143 on: November 01, 2017, 04:01:31 AM »
I totally get where TAC is coming from, though. I totally expected a little more 'inside-poop' so to speak. You do get a good insight to the man, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3144 on: November 01, 2017, 04:19:24 AM »
I guess Mick Wall's 'Run To The Hills' is still the best Maiden related book then.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3145 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
Setting aside the fact that I don't read, I did check out several excerpts from the book and really didn't care for his writing style at all. I really expected something a bit more formal, but as suggested it's more rambling than anything else. There are plenty of times that works great, but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Bruce seems interested in describing himself as something more serious than the singer of a metal band, but his prose doesn't lend itself to that.

When he records the audiobook I'll certainly check out some samples, though. I think his style might work much better in that format.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3146 on: November 01, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
  Bruce seems interested in describing himself as something more serious than the singer of a metal band, but his prose doesn't lend itself to that.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

As for the family stuff, I'm probably in the minority here but the stuff in musician autobiographies about their upbringing and family life always bores me. I get the appeal, I really do, but it does nothing for me. So I don't mind that stuff being absent.

Well, there's plenty of upbringing stuff. I usually skip those pages and then maybe go back to reread. But I am interested in him getting married. How did having kids affect his time and outlook, if at all, in Iron Maiden..that kind of thing.

I totally get where TAC is coming from, though. I totally expected a little more 'inside-poop' so to speak.

It's not even "inside-poop", it about his relationships with the band. the feelings about the albums/tours, etc... We've been told that he had considered leaving after the Powerslave tour. I was interested in what he was thinking at the time. He touches on not having songs on SiT, but it's a wicked gloss over.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3147 on: November 01, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
Does he mention Nikki Sixx banging his first wife?  Wait! Don't tell me!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3148 on: November 01, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
Does he mention Nikki Sixx banging his first wife?  Wait! Don't tell me!

:corn

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3149 on: November 01, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Love Bruce but the book didn't rock my socks. There's so little personal insight. Very surface. He's not a great writer either, really. It's ok but that's about it.

I just started Robert Webb's book right afterwards and the difference is huge. Incredible writing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.