Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 572347 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1190 on: September 06, 2015, 06:56:59 AM »
I don't know what to make of Empire, I'm speechless.  I'm just bewildered that after almost 40 years Maiden have done something completely new and original.  I honestly don't know what to say except, wow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1191 on: September 06, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
Great write ups, Kade!

Is it me or are Dave's solos a little dirtier?

And no one has mentioned yet, but to me, the most underrated performer of the Reunion era is Nicko. He is incredible on this album.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:10:45 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1192 on: September 06, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
Yeah, Nicko is kickin´ arse all over the place, but the whole band is in fine form. Am I just missing that distinctive bassline from Harris?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline 425

Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1193 on: September 06, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
Yeah, his VXI writeup was pretty good, though I'd give The Angel and the Gambler a little more credit (it's a seriously good song that's four or five minutes too long) and Don't Look to the Eyes of the Stranger more credit as well (good concept, works decently but is shaky at times, partially due to bad production).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1194 on: September 06, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
Yeah, his VXI writeup was pretty good, though I'd give The Angel and the Gambler a little more credit (it's a seriously good song that's four or five minutes too long) and Don't Look to the Eyes of the Stranger more credit as well (good concept, works decently but is shaky at times, partially due to bad production).

Well, IMO TAATG deserves all of the flack it gets, but I am a big fan of DLTTEOAS. A bit repetitive in the middle with the "Don't look to" part, but the instrumental part at the end is one of the finest in their catalog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1195 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
It's there. I hear it just fine.

Offline 425

« Reply #1196 on: September 06, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
I think DLTTEOAS as well, though maybe not quite that much.

I think TAATG deserves every bit of "Oy, 'Arry, why is the chorus in here 36 times?" but not that much other criticism. For example, some like to say "and it's not even a good chorus anyway," which I disagree with, I think it's a perfectly fine chorus, I think you're likely to get annoyed with it because you've heard it 36 times.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: September 06, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
No, the first 36 times is fine. It's the second 36 that gets to me. ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: September 06, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
Great write ups, Kade!

Is it me or are Dave's solos a little dirtier?

And no one has mentioned yet, but to me, the most underrated performer of the Reunion era is Nicko. He is incredible on this album.

Nico has been amazing the last few albums.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: September 06, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
I honestly don't think there is a single thing I like about tAatG. It literally makes the album my least favorite by IM. If you took it out, I'd rate V11 higher than FotD and NPftD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:55:34 AM by cramx3 »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: September 06, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
I cannot believe this band has made a near perfect double album so late in their career. Incredible. Easily top 3.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1201 on: September 06, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
Great write ups, Kade!
Fantastic write ups.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1202 on: September 06, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
I don't think I've heard TAATG more than a half dozen times, and all from when the album came out. They did play it live on that tour. That didn't even help.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1203 on: September 06, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
I've never really thought Steve was in control on Virtual XI. He had far more influence on the back-to-the-roots approach on NPFTD and FOTD, it was basically his idea, and The X Factor was also driven by him quite a bit, the dark nature of the album is apparently influenced by the events in his life. With VXI, I hear a lot more band effort, even though Steve is credited on most of the songs. He actually doesn't sound as enthusiastic on it as much as on the previous records, some biographies mention that he considered disbanding the band at that point but the rest of the guys wanted to continue.

Offline 425

« Reply #1204 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
*shrugs*

I just listened to the radio edit of The Angel and the Gambler again. This song still rocks. Wish they'd done an edit that was around 5-6 minutes and included the second set of verses.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1205 on: September 06, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
This album is worth buying for the title track alone, IMO

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1206 on: September 06, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »
After finally getting myself familiarized with the first 7 albums, my favorite is...........

Somewhere In Time  ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #1207 on: September 06, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »
Somewhere In Time is awesome. Has my favorite Adrian Smith guitar solo in Stranger In a Strange Land.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1208 on: September 06, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
Somewhere In Time is awesome. Has my favorite Adrian Smith guitar solo in Stranger In a Strange Land.

YES! I totally agree! Solo is great in the title track as well

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: September 06, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Can't argue with someone who puts SiT as #1, an amazing album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1210 on: September 06, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
I know Seventh Son is a popular one and honestly, I was a little underwhelmed after my first listen. But I have faith that it'll be a grower.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1211 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »
I've never really thought Steve was in control on Virtual XI. He had far more influence on the back-to-the-roots approach on NPFTD and FOTD, it was basically his idea, and The X Factor was also driven by him quite a bit, the dark nature of the album is apparently influenced by the events in his life. With VXI, I hear a lot more band effort, even though Steve is credited on most of the songs. He actually doesn't sound as enthusiastic on it as much as on the previous records, some biographies mention that he considered disbanding the band at that point but the rest of the guys wanted to continue.

I agree with most of this. I wouldn't call it a loss of control per se, but VXI does feel like a cohesive team effort, whereas TXF feels like a Steve Harris solo album.  VXI has more of a classic Maiden feel to it, and that was evident right off the bat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1212 on: September 06, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
I don't know what to make of Empire, I'm speechless.  I'm just bewildered that after almost 40 years Maiden have done something completely new and original.  I honestly don't know what to say except, wow.

I can't stop listening to it. It's a bit sacrilegious but I've done the cd for the car with EotC as the first track of disc two so I don't have to wait, and Again at the end. It flies by. How can an 18 minute song do that?
The orchestration makes a huge difference and makes me want to hear other Maiden songs with those lush sounds in there.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: September 06, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »

It flies by. How can an 18 minute song do that?

That is so true. That song does NOT feel like it's 18 minutes long.

In fact, the whole album doesn't feel like it's 92 minutes - it goes by quicker than that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2015, 12:42:51 PM »

I can't stop listening to it. It's a bit sacrilegious but I've done the cd for the car with EotC as the first track of disc two so I don't have to wait, and Again at the end. It flies by. How can an 18 minute song do that?
The orchestration makes a huge difference and makes me want to hear other Maiden songs with those lush sounds in there.

You could've just made one CD with EOTC on it  6 times!  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1215 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1216 on: September 06, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
EOTC is mental. Listening to it now and it has immediately become one of my favorite maiden tunes  :metal

There's so much diversity and value to this album, its crazy. So very happy.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1217 on: September 06, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
This album is pure gold  :hefdaddy
Empire Of The Clouds goes straight into my top five Maiden songs!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1218 on: September 06, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »
1.    If eternity should fail - At the end, Smith with Bruce singing
2.    Speed of light - Murray/Smith
3.   The great unknown - Gers + Smith/Murray
4.   The red and the black - Murray/Gers + Smith
5.   When the river runs deep - Murray/Gers + Smith
6.   The book of souls - Murray + Gers/Smith

For the first disc at least, this seems right except TRATB.  You missed a solo by H first so - H/Murray/Gers + H.

Cool! I'll listen again with more attention  :tup
By the way, the solos are very inspired overall this time IMO!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: September 06, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

When I listened to it, I actually thought it could work as the opener, even the opener for the whole album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: September 06, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
Don't understand some of the low rankings with TRATB, definitely top 3 for me, amazing tune.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: September 06, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »
Great write ups!!

This album is awesome

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: September 06, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
Great write ups!!

This album is awesome

It really is.  I just finished my second listen of the second disc, and it's wonderful.  Empire of the Clouds is just glorious, what a piece of work.  Man of Sorrows is also just so different and brilliant.  This album is fucking gold.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »
I already like it better then TFF

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: September 06, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
TFF was such a grower for me but TBOS seems teh opposite.  It's easy to like this album just after a couple of listens.  I hope it doesn't have the opposite effect and tire quickly, but I think this has potential to be a Maiden album high in the rankings.

I was questioning the hype as most people raving would be die hard fans anyway, but after hearing it, this could be the real deal.