Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 573641 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1085 on: September 03, 2015, 04:22:34 AM »
Agreed on all parts. For me, it's one of the stand-outs of the album.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1086 on: September 03, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »
Yes it is and it might be in my Maiden Top 15.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: September 03, 2015, 04:42:31 AM »
I personally wouldn't go that far, but agreed that it is fantastic and un-maiden like.  I also love it on En Vivo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1088 on: September 03, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »
I would. ;D

Might also be one of my favorite Maiden lyric too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
I love how the dedicated BoS thread just turns into general IM discussion  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1090 on: September 03, 2015, 07:01:37 AM »
I feel like Speed Of light would've made a better Track 2 on TFF, whereas El Dorado would've fit a lot more as TBOS' second track.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:58:56 AM by TAC »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1091 on: September 03, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »
I feel like Speed Of light would've made a better Track 2 on TFF, whereas El Dorado would've fit a lot more as THOS' second track.

The Hook Of Souls?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1092 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:35 AM »
 :facepalm:

Sorry, I'm using my Kingshmeglish keyboard! ;D

I actually started typing the title, but decided midstream to use initials. :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: September 03, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
I feel like Speed Of light would've made a better Track 2 on TFF, whereas El Dorado would've fit a lot more as TBOS' second track.

That's an interesting observation. I do feel that Speed of Light fits on The Book of Souls but my first reaction on hearing the track was that it sounded like a holdover from The Final Frontier. Must admit I really like the track now but was a little underwhelmed at first.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 03, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Speed of Light is definitely a grower.  I liked it from first listen, but it keeps getting better and I feel it fits well in the album.  That said, I also do think it could have fit in El Durado's spot as well.  I think they are similar style songs, but Speed of Light is better.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1095 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:25 AM »
I loved El Dorado from the start, although more than I do now. However, even though it's only been a few weeks, I would say Speed of light is much better, I hope it stays great.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1096 on: September 03, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
The intro to Speed of Light makes me want to scream "More Cowbell"

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1097 on: September 03, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
So I`ve been listening to this album for about a week now (arrived in the mail yesterday, so a lot of the listening have been illegal).
I`ve had time to digest it, and it`s just incredible how good it is. It aint perfect. The Red and the Black and Shadows of the Walley haven`t really clicked, but the rest of the album... wow.. The best reunion era album? Probably!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1098 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Shadows In The Valley is probably the weakest track for me. TRATB is fantastic though. Love the extended instrumental break.

I don't think this is the Reunion Era's best album, but it is awesome!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1099 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »
Irons Up  :corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: September 03, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
Shadows In The Valley is probably the weakest track for me. TRATB is fantastic though. Love the extended instrumental break.

Yup, thats my least favorite so far and I really really like TRATB.  I think its one of Steve's better epics.  Too early to say it's their best though, need more time to digest and it's going to be tough to beat AMoLaD for me, but it does have the potential, it's that good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1101 on: September 03, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
First listen, here I come!

Really digging If Eternity Should Fail - awesome opener.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1102 on: September 03, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »

Yup, thats my least favorite so far and I really really like TRATB.  I think its one of Steve's better epics.  Too early to say it's their best though, need more time to digest and it's going to be tough to beat AMoLaD for me, but it does have the potential, it's that good.

Ha.  I really love Shadows of the Valley, and I think TRaTB could be a few minutes shorter.  Surprisingly the tracks I don't dig as much on this album are written by Steve.

My ranking:

1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Empire of the Clouds
3. When the River Runs Deep
4. The Book of Souls
5. Shadows of the Valley
6. Death or Glory
7. Speed of Light
8. The Red and Black
9. The Man of Sorrows

10. Tears of a Clown
11. The Great Unknown

I think maybe 'Arry's missed the mark a little on this, besides Shadows and the title track - a lot of that comes from just writing meandering, repetitive stuff.  The only two tracks I really don't care for much at all are Tears of a Clown and Great Unknown, otherwise the rest are on a fairly even keel.  To me this album is made all the more glorious for Bruce and Adrian's contributions, and Janick managed to write two absholute bangers.  Still incredibly stoked with it. 

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1103 on: September 04, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »
The Book of Souls is now available on Spotify!  :metal

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1104 on: September 04, 2015, 12:05:29 AM »
Song ranking so far:

1. The Book of Souls
2. If Eternity Should Fail
3. When the River Runs Deep
4. Empire of the Clouds
5. Tears of a Clown
6. Death or Glory
7. The Great Unknown
8. Speed of Light
9. The Man of Sorrows
10. The Red and the Black
11. Shadows of the Valley

Except for Shadows and parts of Red/Black there is really no weak track on this album.  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: September 04, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
It's way too early for me to rank them, I need many more spins to do that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: September 04, 2015, 04:17:51 AM »
It's way too early for me to rank them, I need many more spins to do that.

Even after many listens I don't think I can rank the songs, there's so much to digest here.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1107 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »
How do you spoil an album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: September 04, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you.  I'm buying my copy tomorrow and have been reading this thread all week.  I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm going to hear based on comments here haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: September 04, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »
The price difference here in Australia seems to be quite absurb between the editions.  $19.95 for the standard and $32.99 for the deluxe.  Considering it seems to be pretty much the same production, this is nuts.  Can any Aussies confirm, did anyone go and get it today?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1110 on: September 04, 2015, 06:46:36 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you.  I'm buying my copy tomorrow and have been reading this thread all week.  I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm going to hear based on comments here haha.

I would get it if it were a concept album with plot points... but how does hearing about an album spoil it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: September 04, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »

I would get it if it were a concept album with plot points... but how does hearing about an album spoil it?

i don't know.  If anything I love reading all this stuff before hearing up, builds up the anticipation.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1112 on: September 04, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »

That's what I was wondering too some pages ago. I had hoped that those who feared spoilers in the original thread would explain what there is to spoil.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: September 04, 2015, 07:31:02 AM »
I guess if we all that the album sucked then in a way it could spoil it since it may turn people off from buying the album.... but that is not the case.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1114 on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
So the main difference between the regular edition and the deluxe edition is the artwork? Does anybody know if the booklet from the regular edition is the same as the deluxe?

I'm picking this up shortly and I was thinking about getting both versions but I don't think I'm going to that...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1115 on: September 04, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »
On my second listen in. What a fucking amazing album!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1116 on: September 04, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
First listen done

So far so good. Will reserve formal judgement upon further listens

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1117 on: September 04, 2015, 08:05:52 AM »
Just a quick question: does anyone here knows if the artwork of the regular edition is the same of the deluxe edition? I'm wondering if the only difference is the size of the pages. Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1118 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
I only have the deluxe version, so I can only guess that the pages are bigger and perhaps there´s an extra illustration, but I really don´t know.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #1119 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
Been listening to the album for a week now (yeah, I downloaded the leak and YES I bought the album today) and I must say, it actually is good. Better than TFF. Much better.

The sound is still not perfect, especially when it comes to the drums, but it's okay I guess. Some sloppy playing is still to be found as well but overall I think it's slightly tighter a performance compared to TFF. What makes this album good is, of course, the songwriting and Bruce's performance.

I will probably write a full review of sorts later but here's where I stand at the moment:

God Tier
  • The Red And The Black - just love that instrumental section with solos and trademark Harris guitar melodies all over. It's golden.
  • The Book of Souls - Bruce kills it here and the theatrical melodies (spiced with synth layers) really make this song an epic one. Plus the aggressive second part of the song, bravo!
  • If Eternity Should Fail - Melodies, melodies. The faster part in the middle is exactly what this song needed too.
  • Empire Of The Clouds - I didn't quite get this song at first but it really is an amazing one. This is all about storytelling and that's what Bruce does best. I dig the clever part where the band plays SOS with Morse code.

Good
When The River Runs Deep
The Man Of Sorrows
The Great Unknown

Just Average
Shadows Of The Valley
Death Or Glory
Speed Of Light
Tears Of A Clown