Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 566212 times)

Grappler, efx, TheHoveringSojourn808 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1050 on: September 02, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
Feels like they really put their soul into this and I'm sure what Bruce was going through at the time played a part in that.
Not sure if there's something else I don't know about, but his cancer wasn't diagnosed until the album was almost completed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1051 on: September 02, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Feels like they really put their soul into this and I'm sure what Bruce was going through at the time played a part in that.
Not sure if there's something else I don't know about, but his cancer wasn't diagnosed until the album was almost completed.

He mentioned in this interview released yesterday that he found it with 6 weeks left of recording.
https://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden-frontman-bruce-dickinsons-cancer-doctor-i-do-like-a-bit-of-maiden-but-im-actually-a-rush-fan-video
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1052 on: September 02, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
Only listened to two songs so far, but it seems pretty typical. Ari needs to learn that length just for the sake of length isn't a good thing. Empire of the Clouds isn't a bad song, but it's damn sure 5 minutes too long. You could tell they were going for a Rhyme kind of thing with it, and Rhyme pushed it right up to the edge of getting redundant (but didn't cross over). With Empire there are points where you just skip ahead 90 seconds and don't miss anything.

Speed of Light is a perfectly decent song, but nothing remarkable. I thought the video was actually better than the song.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: September 02, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
I've had that Empire piano riff in my head all day now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1054 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
Unfortunately this album is getting slagged on a lot of metal forums. Typical critiques:

Which is pretty much what they used to do. It's a bit heartbreaking because I can see why they went in this direction and why they might feel it's a good fit for them, but they're just not very good at it. Being adventurous with songwriting should involve more than this. They may be writing really long songs but it doesn't feel like they are challenging themselves, musicianship-wise, or doing enough to keep those lengthy compositions from sounding extremely repetitive. They might be talented enough to write some true progressive music (and they've certainly hinted at this before) but their hearts just don't really seem to be in it. Bless them for trying so hard to be interesting, and I've no doubt they're totally sincere in everything they attempt...

I've given fresh listens to some of their other overly diluted albums in the past few days, especially AMoLaD, and, while there are plain old fillers and recycling aplenty as well, this is still the main problem. Songs like "For the Greater Good of God" or "Lord of Light" would actually be great, had any kind of competent song arranger had their say in the studio. And Maiden has a bunch of guys like that, in theory.

What's mindbogglingly frustrating is that, out of all these guys, it appears that the one chiefly responsible for all this aggravating bullshit is the former fucking songwriting genius who came up with the bulk of the Maiden style and early classic material.... V_v

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: September 02, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
I wonder if this is official artwork or some fan-made graphics?

I found it on this site.

https://www.grande-rock.com/news/iron-maiden-release-book-souls-september-4th-2015

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1056 on: September 02, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
I don't think that's official but I would like it to be. The minimalistic approach of having no background is still kinda odd, but Eddie looks great anyway.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: September 02, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
I much prefer this one over the official one.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1058 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
Unfortunately this album is getting slagged on a lot of metal forums. Typical critiques:

Which is pretty much what they used to do. It's a bit heartbreaking because I can see why they went in this direction and why they might feel it's a good fit for them, but they're just not very good at it. Being adventurous with songwriting should involve more than this. They may be writing really long songs but it doesn't feel like they are challenging themselves, musicianship-wise, or doing enough to keep those lengthy compositions from sounding extremely repetitive. They might be talented enough to write some true progressive music (and they've certainly hinted at this before) but their hearts just don't really seem to be in it. Bless them for trying so hard to be interesting, and I've no doubt they're totally sincere in everything they attempt...

I've given fresh listens to some of their other overly diluted albums in the past few days, especially AMoLaD, and, while there are plain old fillers and recycling aplenty as well, this is still the main problem. Songs like "For the Greater Good of God" or "Lord of Light" would actually be great, had any kind of competent song arranger had their say in the studio. And Maiden has a bunch of guys like that, in theory.

What's mindbogglingly frustrating is that, out of all these guys, it appears that the one chiefly responsible for all this aggravating bullshit is the former fucking songwriting genius who came up with the bulk of the Maiden style and early classic material.... V_v

These "critiques" are useless if you ask me.   These "geniuses" just want to hear something different, and that's fine.  Go listen to something different.   But to imply that, after 14 albums and a gadbazillion records sold that Harris et al are "incompentent" at what they do... well, then, I'll take "incompentent" all frigging day. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1059 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
Actually, he summed up my thoughts on EotS perfectly.
Maiden has always had a penchant for repetition, and the more successful they become the more he thinks they need to push what they're doing further. AMoLaD was fairly fresh by Maiden standards, hence my fondness for it, but for the most part they're increasingly formulaic and that really is a shame.

Still, I'm holding out hope for the rest of the album. I'm only reacting to what they presumably considered the centerpiece.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1060 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »
Actually, he summed up my thoughts on EotC perfectly.
Maiden has always had a penchant for repetition, and the more successful they become the more he thinks they need to push what they're doing further. AMoLaD was fairly fresh by Maiden standards, hence my fondness for it, but for the most part they're increasingly formulaic and that really is a shame.

Still, I'm holding out hope for the rest of the album. I'm only reacting to what they presumably considered the centerpiece.

Bart, in that quote, that's always been how I felt about Savatage.. anyway, back to Maiden.

I actually disagree. It DOES feel like they are challenging themselves, and has so the entire Reunion Era. One can certainly question if their execution is effective or not, but I don't think anyone can argue that they are not challenging themselves.

These "critiques" are useless if you ask me.   These "geniuses" just want to hear something different, and that's fine.  Go listen to something different.   But to imply that, after 14 albums and a gadbazillion records sold that Harris et al are "incompentent" at what they do... well, then, I'll take "incompentent" all frigging day. 
This is funny because I was thinking this very same thing listening to the album today. Basically I was listening to a part that I strongly disagreed with and thought that Steve Harris is the most stubborn guy in metal. Then I immediately thought that he has only guided the most successful metal band in history this way.  :lol

Only listened to two songs so far, but it seems pretty typical. Ari needs to learn that length just for the sake of length isn't a good thing. Empire of the Clouds isn't a bad song, but it's damn sure 5 minutes too long. You could tell they were going for a Rhyme kind of thing with it, and Rhyme pushed it right up to the edge of getting redundant (but didn't cross over). With Empire there are points where you just skip ahead 90 seconds and don't miss anything. 

Bart, I am with you on Rime completely. Believe it or not, Maiden put me off with Powerslave when it came out. They were so boasting about the length of Rime, and I felt it was simply long for long's sake. Both the song AND the album have aged very well for me, but honestly, I still have a hard time listing it as one of their masterpieces.

But at this point, I'm fine with EOTC the way it is. The transitions feel a bit rough, and I'm not sure the point of the DUH DUH DUH part, but there is so much that is great going on, that I am giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: September 02, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
I'd be more upset if that type of review was coming from a lead writer in the metal history, but I really don't take opinions of music too seriously especially from annonymous internet folk, including here no offense.  Everyone has different tastes.  However, I do think certain things like "maiden aren't challenging themselves" is a poor excuse for disliking the music.  The music has evolved so much and it's not just longer songs, although it's fine to say one thinks songs could be shorter, that's a fair opinion.  Either way, I am loving this album, I am a maiden die hard so I am also biased, but I feel this album did continue their evolution, but also stuck true to what IM have always been in many ways.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1062 on: September 02, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
   Either way, I am loving this album, I am a maiden die hard so I am also biased, but I feel this album did continue their evolution, but also stuck true to what IM have always been in many ways.
Cram, I know you're a huge Maiden fan, so I always appreciate your opinion.

I am also LOVING this album. Trust me, I love it. So what I'm about to say may not sound like I love it, but really I do.
My first impressions are this will be the first time in the Reunion era that one of their albums does not eclipse the previous one. Now that's a tall order because the two previous ones are arguably their two best albums in my book.

I feel like this album is a lot like Dance Of Death. Like DOD, it will be carried by its epics. But the refusal to trim 12 minutes, or two songs, is not an excuse to release a double album. IMO, they could've easily cut two of the following; If Eternity Should Fail, Death Or Glory, or Shadows In The Valley (why that opening??). They are all decent songs, but they are also on par with some of the filler on Dance Of Death.
But hey, that's my gripe! I LOVE Dance Of Death, and I love this album. But I don't love it as much as AMOLAD or TFF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: September 02, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »
That's a fair opinion, but I thought TFF was a let down from AMoLAD (my favorite IM album so I understand it was going to be hard to top that).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: September 02, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
AMOLAD, to me, is a landmark album. It's an epic masterpiece and it cracked my Top 3, which is a remarkable thing 25 years into a band's career. To me, TFF is just colored a bit brighter and is a little easier on the ears.

I remember thinking how the hell were they going to top AMOLAD. There's not much in their discography that does measure up to it, but I just take a tad more enjoyment out of TFF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1065 on: September 02, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
Bart, I am with you on Rime completely. Believe it or not, Maiden put me off with Powerslave when it came out. They were so boasting about the length of Rime, and I felt it was simply long for long's sake. Both the song AND the album have aged very well for me, but honestly, I still have a hard time listing it as one of their masterpieces.

But at this point, I'm fine with EOTC the way it is. The transitions feel a bit rough, and I'm not sure the point of the DUH DUH DUH part, but there is so much that is great going on, that I am giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.
Don't get me wrong, I still rank Rhyme as one of the masterpieces. They tried to make it too redundant for my taste, but thankfully stopped just short.

And try it with better punctuation: 
DUH-DUH-DUH    DUH-----DUH-----DUH     DUH-DUH-DUH
Make more sense?
E.F. Benson

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1066 on: September 02, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »
Ah I see!  SOS.  Can't believe I missed that, doh.

The music has evolved so much and it's not just longer songs, although it's fine to say one thinks songs could be shorter, that's a fair opinion.  Either way, I am loving this album, I am a maiden die hard so I am also biased, but I feel this album did continue their evolution, but also stuck true to what IM have always been in many ways.

this is how I feel about it really.  this is the best of the reunion albums for me, perhaps a tie with BNW, but I think its a huge step up from TFF, and I do think it's less formulaic than usual for Maiden.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1067 on: September 02, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »
That part is one of the more epic bits of the tune. There's plenty of sections that are there for dramatic, cinematic purposes. You can actually hear the vessel taking off, struggling with turbulence and finally collapsing.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1068 on: September 02, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
love it. Probably as great as BNW and I've been strugling with some Maiden releases since the reunion.
The problem with DoD except the uniqueness of Journeyman and Pashendale was the focus on repetition (No More Lies) and miserable short songs.
AMOLAD was the continuation of the unfocused songs becoming long as hell, tedious and missusing Bruces melodic and charismatic voice, well I couldn't understand half the things he was yelling. I didnt understand why he sounded great live and on the record crap. However it did contain some good songs.
TFF is weird because it was a sort of a return to normal songs but they were on that AMOLAD mindset so the only song I really like is Starblind because is different.

Now my favs:
 EotC is Dickinson real masterpiece... never I thought the man played the piano and wrote something engaging that even Dream Theater hasn't done in a while ...a decent long prog song with no breakdowns. Its catchy, real catchy with no" NO MORE LIES NO MORE LIES NO MORE LIES NO MORE LIES " stuff and that middle guitar riff..is epic

IESF is Chemical Wedding in Maiden, something we fans wanted ever since 99.

When the River Runs Deep is something that changes tempo and could have come from Seventh Son IMO

the only dud is SoL but it does work better in an album environment.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1069 on: September 02, 2015, 05:42:48 PM »
You and i share similar thoughts on Maiden, which is nice. :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1070 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
And try it with better punctuation: 
DUH-DUH-DUH    DUH-----DUH-----DUH     DUH-DUH-DUH
Make more sense?

Ah I see!  SOS.  Can't believe I missed that, doh.

Oh OK. I would've never figured that out if it wasn't pointed out to me. Thank you. At least that explains it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1071 on: September 02, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
love it. Probably as great as BNW and I've been strugling with some Maiden releases since the reunion.
The problem with DoD except the uniqueness of Journeyman and Pashendale was the focus on repetition (No More Lies) and miserable short songs.
AMOLAD was the continuation of the unfocused songs becoming long as hell, tedious and missusing Bruces melodic and charismatic voice, well I couldn't understand half the things he was yelling. I didnt understand why he sounded great live and on the record crap. However it did contain some good songs.
TFF is weird because it was a sort of a return to normal songs but they were on that AMOLAD mindset so the only song I really like is Starblind because is different.

IESF is Chemical Wedding in Maiden, something we fans wanted ever since 99.

the only dud is SoL but it does work better in an album environment.

I don't subscribe to any of this. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: September 02, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »
For anyone wondering about the deluxe edition, as discussed here or in the other thread, here's some dude's video of it, I think I might stick with the regular version depending on price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FNXFcS0W0
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1073 on: September 02, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »
It was only like $3 extra on Amazon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: September 02, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
Depends on how big it is for me, doesn't look any bigger than your normal digi though, maybe a bit taller.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: September 02, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
Very cool new interview with Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOmXTBTBFs

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1076 on: September 02, 2015, 07:40:38 PM »
5 songs demoed with roy...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »
5 songs?  I must have missed that, I heard him say the opener was basically done with him and Roy, but if that's the case I wonder what Roy thinks about it.  A Bruce solo album was obviously happening but maybe not anymore, and no songwriting credits to Roy.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
2m 28s for the confirmation five tracks were demoed with Roy Z.

Cracking interview.

Drop D!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: September 03, 2015, 02:16:32 AM »
I remember a rumor floating around about Roy being pissed about a potential release of a new Bruce solo album, I think the rumor was that they were holding back the solo album so they could release the IM album, but I am wondering if it was more to do with IM stealing a song.  Just speculation, but if there was truth to that, as much as I like If Eternity Should Fail, I'd rather IM to leave that to Bruce and not use it to keep the peace, there's enough good music on the record that they didn't need to take away from Bruce's solo stuff, but like I said, that is just speculation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1082 on: September 03, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »
Yea  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: September 03, 2015, 02:44:25 AM »
I remember that rumour (I believe it was based on an interview with Roy Z) but I think it pre-dated The Final Frontier.

I've often wondered whether Coming Home was originally intended to be on a Bruce solo album.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1084 on: September 03, 2015, 04:21:06 AM »
Coming Home is a fantastic tune and distinctly un-Maiden. Still they did a great job with it.