Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557521 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Iron Maiden thread for discussion NOT relating to The Book of Souls
« Reply #1015 on: September 01, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
Since Iron Maiden (opening for Priest) was my first concert ever back in '82,

I remember the tour vividly, and knew a couple of kids who went. I was not able to go to concerts yet, but saw them the following August on the Piece Of Mind tour.

Saw that too at New Haven Coliseum; Coney Hatch (sucked) and Fastway (awesome) opened.   The band started with "Where Eagles Dare" and Dickinson's mike wasn't working so he sang the first verse with no mike and I could still hear him (I was about 40 feet from the stage, but on the side).   Blew me away.

Saw them on 8/27/83 at the old Cape Cod Coliseum. I even bought the Coney Hatch album in anticipation.
And yes, Fastway was great. My eyes were glued to Jerry Shirley.

It was an awesome show.

I would turn 15 about a month later.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1016 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
That would truly be upsetting if it never gets played live, but not totally out of the norm for IM

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Iron Maiden--The Book of Souls: ALL album-related discussion goes here--SPOILERS
« Reply #1017 on: September 01, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
The first moment that really struck me from this album:

OMG WASTED YEARS?

*Listening to Shadows of the Valley*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: September 01, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
My first IM show was in 2005 during Ozzfest in NJ where they only played songs from the first 4 albums. Not quite as cool, but certainly memorable for me.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1019 on: September 01, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »
Interesting, I didnt know they were quoted about playing any of the new songs live.  Historically they always played the epic track on each album minus Alexander the Great, but then again with TBoS and TRatB, those could be played instead.  Who knows, this album is worthy of the AMoLaD live treatment, but I dont think they will do something like that again, especially since this album is even longer and would only leave room for an encore.

I have a feeling those two will definitely be played, but I'd much, much rather see Empire than TRatB personally.

I think TRaTB was pretty much written with the live performance in mind - it's built for crowd participation with the 'whoa-oh' parts, which kind of lets the song down a little bit.  Its much better when that grows out of the song organically, like Fear of the Dark live, or anything off Rush in Rio :P

I read in a french interview that If Eternity Should Fail was demoed by Bruce in full for a possible solo album, and was nabbed by Steve (just like Bring Your Daughter).  You can really hear that - it would not sound out of place on Tyranny of Souls, that spoken word part especially.

It also makes me hopeful that maybe Bruce has another solo album somewhat in the can, which has been rumoured for a while now :o

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1020 on: September 01, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
Since Iron Maiden (opening for Priest) was my first concert ever back in '82,

I remember the tour vividly, and knew a couple of kids who went. I was not able to go to concerts yet, but saw them the following August on the Piece Of Mind tour.

Saw that too at New Haven Coliseum; Coney Hatch (sucked) and Fastway (awesome) opened.   The band started with "Where Eagles Dare" and Dickinson's mike wasn't working so he sang the first verse with no mike and I could still hear him (I was about 40 feet from the stage, but on the side).   Blew me away.   

Holy shit! That's an awesome story.

I was lucky to see Maiden live on that great 3 album run of POM, Powerslave and SIT tours.

Jealous.

My first Maiden show wasn't til 2009, but I'd been listening to them since I was sentient.  My book for silent reading at primary (elementary) school was Mick Wall's Run to the Hills :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
I was not really familiar with the R-101 disaster. This is a quick video lesson.

https://wn.com/r-101
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1022 on: September 01, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
Anobody else in love with the title track?
The main riff is one of Maidens coolest riffs ever. Janick rocks! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1023 on: September 01, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »
I love how it picks up and Bruce is epic at the very end.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1024 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
Totally agreed on that riff! Its so killer and sounds brutal over Nicko's brooding half time sledgehammer drums.  Love it. 

Jan really delivered on this one, its up there with Dance of Death imo.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1025 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
Agreed with bosk. Maiden is better live than they are in studio. I would say to get the DVDs of either Rock In Rio or En Vivo for a slant towards contemporary Maiden, and Live After Death for classic Maiden, and because that's pretty widely considered the best live heavy metal video ever.

Maiden England is better than Live After Death, imo. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Infinite Dreams, Killers, Moonchild, Still Life and The Prisoner? All it'd need is Phantom of the Opera to truly seal the deal.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline 425

« Reply #1026 on: September 01, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
But Aces High, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner!

Maiden England is phenomenal, really, and I can definitely see why you'd think it's better. A rewatch of both is long overdue for me, and at that point I may have a different opinion about which is better. But Live After Death is absolutely legendary, because it captures one of the best live bands ever at the very top of their touring game. And for me it remains my automatic response to the question "what is the best live album?"
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1027 on: September 01, 2015, 10:38:27 PM »
But Aces High, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner!

Maiden England is phenomenal, really, and I can definitely see why you'd think it's better. A rewatch of both is long overdue for me, and at that point I may have a different opinion about which is better. But Live After Death is absolutely legendary, because it captures one of the best live bands ever at the very top of their touring game. And for me it remains my automatic response to the question "what is the best live album?"

Aces High and Rime are both overrated in my book (though I do like 'em both) and I prefer the later 80's Maiden material anyway. The early 80's deep-cuts on Maiden England are also more to my own tastes anyway.

Like I said, all ME would need to really seal the deal is Phantom. That's the big jewel that LAD has.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: September 01, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
I'd probably take Maiden England's setlist too over LAD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #1029 on: September 01, 2015, 10:48:04 PM »
Honestly, purely in terms of setlist, I'd rate them about equally, with LAD maybe a little ahead. LAD has some great cuts that ME lacks and vice versa (which is why it's great that we have both of them!). Just so we can look at it, here's a quick list of what each has that the other doesn't:

LAD:
Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Powerslave
Wrathchild (audio only)
22 Acacia Avenue (audio only)
Children of the Damned (audio only)
The Phantom of the Opera (audio only)

ME:
Moonchild
The Evil That Men Do
The Prisoner
Still Life
Infinite Dreams
Killers
Can I Play With Madness
Heaven Can Wait
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Yeah, between those two lists I'd take LAD, though they're both really good. Actually, looking at these written out, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much is different. Really smart of them to only really repeat the "essential" songs on the setlist.

But for me, in the end, it's the performance. LAD's performances are absolutely legendary. It's really a tour de force and it stands out on that level above all the other Maiden live albums except for maybe Rock In Rio. This is a fairly subjective criteria, though, so your mileage may vary.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1030 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »
Maybe it's because LAD's setlist is too "obvious" for me, but the only real treasures on it for me are the last three tracks: 22 Acacia Avenue, Children of the Damned and Phantom of the Opera.

Meanwhile, ME just has this insane behemoth of a setlist that represents what I see as the band's peak during the 80's. Despite their statuses as great songs, Rime, Revelation and the like simply do not match the power of something like Seventh Son or Infinite Dreams in my book.

Moreover I like the tone and performances of ME more too. It's darker, moodier.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: September 01, 2015, 11:18:58 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^

This is pretty much what I think too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
I read in a french interview that If Eternity Should Fail was demoed by Bruce in full for a possible solo album, and was nabbed by Steve (just like Bring Your Daughter).  You can really hear that - it would not sound out of place on Tyranny of Souls, that spoken word part especially.

Yes! I think I actually mumbled out loud at the end of the song, "oooh... reminds me of bits of The Chemical Wedding (album)!" (particularly from Scream for Me Brazil).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline 425

« Reply #1033 on: September 01, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »
I like the last two 80s albums better than Powerslave as well, but to me, those songs don't come to life in a concert setting as well as the songs from The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave do. Honestly, Live After Death has practically taken the place of Powerslave for me, because those live recordings of AH, 2MTM, the title track and ROTAM absolutely blow away the studio versions of those songs, and I find the other four songs from that studio album to be pretty meh, so whenever I feel like listening to PS songs, I typically go to LAD. Whereas when I want to listen to SSOASS I listen to that album, not ME. So that could be another factor leading to my favoring LAD.

I feel I must say, since you specifically mentioned that song, that Revelations at LAD may be my favorite single live performance ever. Long Beach Arena, can you feel it?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1034 on: September 02, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »
Man, talk about memories... I remember when Live after Death came out and i instantly bought it on vinyl. The artwork, the inside cover photography, the setlist, the production. Everything was top notch. The performances outshine their studio counterparts by far. As for classic Maiden, none better. I really loved Maiden England as well, espacially Seven son of a seventh son....what an athmosphere!

For more recent live concerts you can't really go wrong with Rock in Rio en En Vivo (crazy Chileans!) and as some have said the EXCELLENT Flight 666.

And if you want to have a good laugh, check out the History of Iron Maiden (parts I, II and III) which are on various dvd's.
Part I: The Early Days (with great early concert footage with Paul D'ianno, in a pub, nice and raw)
Part II is on the Live after Death DVD (includes their first 'Iron Curtain Tour', where they crash a Polish Wedding and play some  coversongs with the wedding band)
Part III is on 'Maiden England' and handles the period right after Live after Death, the making of SOASS and Somewhere in Time.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1035 on: September 02, 2015, 12:37:33 AM »
I like the last two 80s albums better than Powerslave as well, but to me, those songs don't come to life in a concert setting as well as the songs from The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave do. Honestly, Live After Death has practically taken the place of Powerslave for me, because those live recordings of AH, 2MTM, the title track and ROTAM absolutely blow away the studio versions of those songs, and I find the other four songs from that studio album to be pretty meh, so whenever I feel like listening to PS songs, I typically go to LAD. Whereas when I want to listen to SSOASS I listen to that album, not ME. So that could be another factor leading to my favoring LAD.

I feel I must say, since you specifically mentioned that song, that Revelations at LAD may be my favorite single live performance ever. Long Beach Arena, can you feel it?

I consider Powerslave to be one of the, if not the best Maiden album. The playing on that is ridiculously tight. Also, with all the classic live performances, no one mentions Hallowed be thy name?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1036 on: September 02, 2015, 12:39:17 AM »
edit double post
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:04:19 AM by Cyclopssss »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1037 on: September 02, 2015, 01:18:21 AM »
Also, with all the classic live performances, no one mentions Hallowed be thy name?

My favourite part in the LAD video is when Adrian and Dave walk up the drum riser stairs and along the opposing catwalks during the final guitar harmony in Hallowed.  Brilliant moment. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1038 on: September 02, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »
The album run from Number Of The Beast to Powerslave is my favorite Maiden period. Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son aren't bad, but for me no match. So I would prefer Live after Death, the only problem I have is that they play Revelations (one of the best IM songs) too fast and therefore almost ruin it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1039 on: September 02, 2015, 04:28:51 AM »
Also, with all the classic live performances, no one mentions Hallowed be thy name?

My favourite part in the LAD video is when Adrian and Dave walk up the drum riser stairs and along the opposing catwalks during the final guitar harmony in Hallowed.  Brilliant moment.

It was 30 years ago this summer that I saw that tour, but I absolutely remember that from the concert.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1040 on: September 02, 2015, 04:53:24 AM »
I consider Powerslave to be one of the, if not the best Maiden album. The playing on that is ridiculously tight. Also, with all the classic live performances, no one mentions Hallowed be thy name?

That would be because Bruce botches Hallowed on both LAD and Maiden England. The only really good live album performance of it he did in the 80's was on Beast over Hammersmith. That performance is transcendental.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Art

« Reply #1041 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:58 AM »
If Eternity Should Fail does have the "Bruce Dickinson solo career feeling". Amazing song.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: September 02, 2015, 06:52:21 AM »
Just had my first complete uninterrupted listen to Empire Of The Clouds. Amazing.

I'm really just now starting to sink my teeth into this, but my first impression is that while each of the first four Reunion Era albums have their own personality, this one feels like it pulls from each of the previous four.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1044 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
Bruce has gone on record saying that he doesn't think they'll play Empire live, but Dave's also said that he thinks the band can and should play it live. So hopefully Dave wins that battle.
Is this from an interview somewhere? I'd love to read it.

It's a foreign interview, if memory serves me right. I think it was either Germany or Brazil. Could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure Bruce's comments on Empire were from a French interview he did a couple weeks ago.
Found it. I think Bruce is concerned about being able to play Empire live because he apparently isn't that great pianist. He doesn't know if he will be able to perform it properly.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1045 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Just had my first complete uninterrupted listen to Empire Of The Clouds. Amazing.

Yeah, it is. Talk about a masterpiece. 

I'm really just now starting to sink my teeth into this, but my first impression is that while each of the first four Reunion Era albums have their own personality, this one feels like it pulls from each of the previous four.

I think TBoS pulls from a large majority of the band's discography. It feels like a culmination.

Found it. I think Bruce is concerned about being able to play Empire live because he apparently isn't that great pianist. He doesn't know if he will be able to perform it properly.

Yep, that's the impression I got too. I think they'd probably get Kinney to play the piano parts for Bruce if they play it live, unless Bruce feels compelled to play it himself.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1046 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »
Mister Gold, I like your culmination comment. And for old time's sake, it even contains some filler! :omg:

Offline emtee

« Reply #1047 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »
My big take away so far is that I feel a lot of emotion in some of these songs. I can't say that about too many Maiden songs.
Feels like they really put their soul into this and I'm sure what Bruce was going through at the time played a part in that.
I can see it being a top 2 or 3 all time Maiden album!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1048 on: September 02, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
Well, if they decide to play the song live, it would only make sense for Bruce to play the piano. At least in my head. It would be great to see Bruce playing piano and singing at the same time, that would be new.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1049 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
Well, if they decide to play the song live, it would only make sense for Bruce to play the piano. At least in my head. It would be great to see Bruce playing piano and singing at the same time, that would be new.

What makes the Reunion era so special is that Maiden is not backing away from any challenges. They are pushing themselves beyond what even their biggest fans (like me) could imagine. It would not surprise me in the least if they did this.