Author Topic: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!  (Read 32838 times)

Online Puppies_On_Acid

• MP.com Refugee
  • Roulette Addict
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
Pneuma is either a) using a random outdated music theory term without any care for the meaning or b) some random reference to Gnosticism.

Or any of the other possible meanings? Quoth the Google:

"(in Stoic thought) the vital spirit, soul, or creative force of a person." - philosophy

Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is an ancient Greek word for "breath", and in a religious context for "spirit" or "soul".[1][2] It has various technical meanings for medical writers and philosophers of classical antiquity, particularly in regard to physiology, and is also used in Greek translations of ruach רוח in the Hebrew Bible, and in the Greek New Testament. In classical philosophy, it is distinguishable from psyche (ψυχή), which originally meant "breath of life", but is regularly translated as "spirit" or most often "soul".[3] - wikipedia

That's true, and the main definition that's associated with Gnosticism iirc. But even with that, I still think it's pretentious and I still don't like the title.

Mike Tyson would call it The Thempetht.

This is officially now the correct pronunciation. I declare it to be so

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: August 15, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
 :lol
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #702 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
Pneuma is either a) using a random outdated music theory term without any care for the meaning or b) some random reference to Gnosticism.

"(in Stoic thought) the vital spirit, soul, or creative force of a person." - philosophy

Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is an ancient Greek word for "breath", and in a religious context for "spirit" or "soul".[1][2] It has various technical meanings for medical writers and philosophers of classical antiquity, particularly in regard to physiology, and is also used in Greek translations of ruach רוח in the Hebrew Bible, and in the Greek New Testament. In classical philosophy, it is distinguishable from psyche (ψυχή), which originally meant "breath of life", but is regularly translated as "spirit" or most often "soul".[3] - wikipedia

That's true, and the main definition that's associated with Gnosticism iirc. But even with that, I still think it's pretentious and I still don't like the title.

Have you NEVER heard Tool?   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Puppies_On_Acid

• MP.com Refugee
  • Roulette Addict
« Reply #703 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:13 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing  :lol

Offline Ninjabait

« Reply #704 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
Honestly tho I somehow keep misreading The Thempetht as "The Trumpet", which at this point is an equally valid name

Okay that is a fair point.

Altho I wonder how much of it is because of how seriously the fans take them. Like, they literally have a track that's just a slowed down recording of MJK squeezing one of his cats. Also a song called Hooker With a Penis. Maybe Tool was actually a meme band this entire time

Online Puppies_On_Acid

• MP.com Refugee
  • Roulette Addict
« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
Honestly tho I somehow keep misreading The Thempetht as "The Trumpet", which at this point is an equally valid name

Okay that is a fair point.

Altho I wonder how much of it is because of how seriously the fans take them. Like, they literally have a track that's just a slowed down recording of MJK squeezing one of his cats. Also a song called Hooker With a Penis. Maybe Tool was actually a meme band this entire time
It wouldn't surprise me if they came out and said they've been trolling us for the last 25 years.

Offline Ninjabait

« Reply #706 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Next single is an Old Town Road remix, confirmed here folks