Author Topic: Have you ever had a role model in life?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Have you ever had a role model in life?
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »
#1 Did you ever had or have someone in life that you'd consider a role model? I'm talking about some you know in person either a family member, partner, spouse, relative, friend, colleague, teacher, coach, neighbore or whoever. Did you ever had or have someone to follow in life? If not, do you feel that if you'd had one during youth for example, things would have been diffrent for you?

#2 Do you have a famous role model that you don't know in person? (I wanted to seperate between famous and non famous role models because I feel those two are very diffrent from eachother although maybe not for you though!?).

I also leave it open for you to determine what a good role model is to you.

I have to think about this myself before I give an answer...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Have you ever had a role model in life?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
#1) My dad. I'm sure most people would say the same thing. If I become half of what he is, I'll still be doing good in life.

#2) Carl Sagan. How he looked at the world and the people on it is something I strive to mirror with every decision I make.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:56 AM »
1.) My Father. He was 20 when I was born, my mother was 16.....he could have easily bolted being that I was the product of a rainy night at the drive in theater. But, when they found out my mom was pregnant he went to a Trade School and became a Welder. He worked his tail off for me and my two brothers....always coached and did the things that were 'expected' of him while 'he' took a back seat to it all. I admire him for that. He's a great man and as you say Brian....if I can become half the man he is I'll be thrilled.

2.) My Grandfather. He's your typical old school man....worked hard since he was in his teens....just the 'John Wayne' type of fellow. The last three years of my Grandmothers life as she basically wilted away due to cancer.....watching the way he cared for her with all his heart, knowing that he had spent years with her 'in health' as wedding vows say.....and now in this time of her 'sickness' he treated her like the Royalty she was until her last breath and what I learned from him in those three years about being a true man and true husband will never leave my soul.

FAMOUS:

Gary Sinese and Denzel Washington. The things they do for charity and the manner in which they do it without banging a drum for all to hear is what I like about them. I'm sure there are countless other celeb's that do the same but those two stand out to me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »
#1 My dad;  he was a strong, athletic man up until age of 35 or so when he was stricken with severe arthritis.   It got so bad that for a time when I was in high school he couldn't get out of his chair by himself (I used to have to pull him up).  We (my mom and brother and I) would take turns putting on his socks and shoes.  He's a little better now (two artificial knees and two artificial hips and a spinal fusion later) but despite that, I've never ONCE - not EVER - heard him wish it was different or play the pity game.  He worked his balls off for us, and what he couldn't do physically, he did mentally (he is probably the smartest person I know personally).  He coached when and where he could (though walking to the fields and standing was always a chore; he also couldn't go up and down stairs very well), but mainly he tested us mentally, with conversations and such.  Or he would teach my brother and I about cars and electronics by walking us through the steps while we did the work.  I remember changing the transmission on my Datsun 280Z - twice - from him sitting on a stool telling me what bolts to take out, etc. FROM MEMORY, on a car he never actually worked on himself!

But he taught me invaluable lessons about making the most of the skills you have and not losing a lot of sleep over things you don't.  He taught me a lesson that Jack Welch also teaches, about seeing the world the way it is as opposed to the way you want it to be.  He taught me that when you're coming at something from a position of disadvantage, the devil is in the details, so pay attention to the details!   He taught me about commitment in relationships (he and my mom just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary) even when things don't always turn out like you bargained for. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
1. I didn't really have a real life role model. I did however pick up traits from people unintentionally. My old man was probably the opposite of a role model, yet I take after him a great deal nowadays, albeit I like to think the better qualities (and he'd agree). Similarly, I took some characteristics from my grandmother, despite growing up thinking she was the last person I'd want to emulate. Between the two of them I somehow turned out to be a highly pragmatic bleeding heart; go figure.

2. Hunter Thompson (naturally) and Gregory Peck, for starkly different reasons. These are the two people I've always considered heroes, and people that I try to be more like, despite knowing I'll never be close to either. Interestingly, I read an article on Cracked recently that suggested, as a means of bettering your perspective on the world, to picture your greatest hero in life passed out in a drunken stupor on his front lawn with no pants on at 6 in the morning; neighbors gawking and whatnot. In once case it provides a nice sense of humility (Mr. Peck admittedly had is flaws), and in the other case it just makes me think "FUCK YEAH!"  :hefdaddy

on my Datsun 280Z
Had one of those myself. A lot of trouble, but I'm certain that phenomenal front end save my life on one occasion whilst regrettably emulating one of the aforementioned heroes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
Real life role models? Well, I have two. The first one is my older cousin. She's like, 15 years older than me and has always been the person I looked up to in life as a child. Hell even today I still look up to her and go to her for advice.

The other is my father.  That didn't come about until after he died. I find myself thinking everyday "What would Dad have done?" He was far from perfect, but he was a great man who strove to be the best person he could be. He was loved by all. He was a hero. (No seriously... He received a plaque from the city of Simi Valley for saving an old woman who had a heart attack and crashed her car outside his work. The car got stuck on a tree... with her foot on the accelerator. Tires were spinning and if he hadn't of busted through her back window and crawled in and pulled her out / shut off the car, she would have made her way in to a high volume intersection.)

I spent my teenage years swearing I wouldn't be like him.

but after he died I looked back and saw who he really was.
and then I realized that...

The only thing
I wanted
To become
To be someone just like him

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »
It's practically a cliché at this point, but my main role model is my dad, too.  The son of immigrants, he never went to college, but by working his ass off, he started at the bottom and rose to a decent white collar position (back when you could still do that) in a major corporation, and supported a wife and three kids in a house bigger than I'll ever afford, all on a fraction of what I earn now.

But more importantly, he has ethics like nobody's business.  When he says he'll do something, he does it, period.  If something is right, he does it, period.  If something is wrong, he doesn't do it.  Doesn't matter which way is the hard way or the easy way, because that's irrelevant.  You say you're gonna do something, you do it.  Something's the right thing to do, you do it.  Don't tell me it's hard; you do the right thing.  Real men do the right thing, always.

He looks at what I've done, what I've become, and he's proud of me, he tells me that all the time, but really, I'm ashamed.  I'm not half the man he is.  I try to keep to his ideals, but I'm a wimp.  Life seems harder now than it used to be, but I can never tell if that's true or if I'm just making excuses.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:20:32 PM »

But more importantly, he has ethics like nobody's business.  When he says he'll do something, he does it, period.  If something is right, he does it, period.  If something is wrong, he doesn't do it.  Doesn't matter which way is the hard way or the easy way, because that's irrelevant.  You say you're gonna do something, you do it.  Something's the right thing to do, you do it.  Don't tell me it's hard; you do the right thing.  Real men do the right thing, always.

That's about it for me too ..........he has his faults and could've done a lot different when we were kids to avoid a lot of grief for us (caused by my mother) but in the end he did what he thought was best and is the most decent man I know.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Calvin6s

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »
I've had minor role models.  People you observed and liked some of their traits.  But the term role model is probably overblown in a sense.  More like influences that affected a single part of my character.

A stronger term would be mentor.  In my early career, the managers usually were great in shaping me for the particular job I was serving at the time.  One I liked enough that when the company offered me his job, I not only refused but helped save his.  Told them they weren't evaluating him correctly.  If they liked my work, much of it was a direct result of his training.  Despite doing very well at the job, I was able to put my core description on autopilot and when I started to run out of tasks outside my job description it started to become boring.  The company grew into an international one, sold it to another company ... at which point everything changed and all the gains started turning into declines.  That was about the time I decided that if I am going to work so hard, it would be for my own company. 

Nothing even close to a mentor that helped me through in any way during the very important teen years where minor steps have huge consequences.  In fact, during those years I consider I had major roadblocks.  There wasn't anything like a serious internet (BBSes but not an internet) and that would have helped tremendously.

And there it is.  The most important role model in my life:  the internet.  And an important and co-equal role models, the people I've met in life and online that have given me a simple road map about what books to read or sites to visit (because you can also waste quite a bit of time on the internet going through mediocre or even bad info before you find the good stuff).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:21 AM »
It's sweet that alot of you have your father as a role model/mentor in life, I think if you had the ability to choose who you'd want as a role model or mentor in life, your father and/or mother would always be the best option given they're with you when you grow up and can steer you in the right direction. Not everyone has that "luxury" though so they seek elsewhere for someone to follow either deliberately or subconsciously and hopefully they find/found that person.

#1 For me, even though I love my father very much and has alot of respect for what he achived in life he's never been that mentor in life that I wished for, it's hard to explain why. I always felt he lived in a time bubble from the past (sounds weird) and I guess the fact that he was 70+ during my teens didn't help very much, he himself struggled with keeping up with the "modern society" much because his age and that's not a good thing when your a lost teen as I was.
So my answer for the first question is my mother and sister. My mother for being a strong woman and teaching me about the importance to stand up for yourself and believe in what you do, as a musician for example. My sister for being exactly like my mother and also for being a career woman with work ethics like no one else but still being the sweetest, fun and relaxed person you could ever meet, a rare combination I feel.

I also wanna mention that being a musician i've had the fortune to be study for some truly great teachers which I respect both as musicians and for being genuine personalities. I learned so much through them about playing, life, the music business and so much more.

#2 When it comes to famous persons I think Bruce Dickinson is the first that comes to mind, his passion for doing what he loves and work hard for it, is very inspiring.

I've had minor role models.  People you observed and liked some of their traits.  But the term role model is probably overblown in a sense.  More like influences that affected a single part of my character.

A stronger term would be mentor.
Yea you're right, I was actually thinking about writing role model/mentor because for me atleast in my experience mentor is a more appropiate term than role model.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:54:54 AM »
on my Datsun 280Z
Had one of those myself. A lot of trouble, but I'm certain that phenomenal front end save my life on one occasion whilst regrettably emulating one of the aforementioned heroes.

I ended up hitting a tree head-on at 60 mph, no seatbelt, and walked away with only a slight concussion, broken nose, and some cuts and bruises, in no small part because of that front end.

God, I miss that car.  It was a horrible orange color, but I had a relatively rare 2+2, and mine was the first year with the fuel injection so except for the aforementioned tranny and changing out injectors like light bulbs, I didn't have much trouble. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »
It's sweet that alot of you have your father as a role model/mentor in life, I think if you had the ability to choose who you'd want as a role model or mentor in life, your father and/or mother would always be the best option given they're with you when you grow up and can steer you in the right direction. Not everyone has that "luxury" though so they seek elsewhere for someone to follow either deliberately or subconsciously and hopefully they find/found that person.

#1 For me, even though I love my father very much and has alot of respect for what he achived in life he's never been that mentor in life that I wished for, it's hard to explain why. I always felt he lived in a time bubble from the past (sounds weird) and I guess the fact that he was 70+ during my teens didn't help very much, he himself struggled with keeping up with the "modern society" much because his age and that's not a good thing when your a lost teen as I was.

Not suggesting this is literally true for you personally, but it's something to consider (even if it sort of runs afoul of the definition of "role model") that you don't necessarily have to follow everything someone does for them to be a role model.   It's what they teach more than how they teach it.  If you, for your children, work extra hard to stay on top of changes - be it technology or anything else - you've taken the lesson from your dad. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
on my Datsun 280Z

I ended up hitting a tree head-on at 60 mph, no seatbelt, and walked away with only a slight concussion, broken nose, and some cuts and bruises, in no small part because of that front end.

God, I miss that car.  It was a horrible orange color, but I had a relatively rare 2+2, and mine was the first year with the fuel injection so except for the aforementioned tranny and changing out injectors like light bulbs, I didn't have much trouble.
Man, what was with those injectors? At one point the guys at a stealership actually slathered RTV all over one, which in retrospect is probably the best possible solution. Still, replaced quite a few before that came up as an option. Mine was the 2+2, but thankfully it was the classic metallic silver. And in my case it was the front end handling that saved my ass. Managed to somehow keep me on the road (barely, I could feel it breaking) on a sweeping entrance ramp at about 3 times the posted limit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
on my Datsun 280Z

Man, what was with those injectors? At one point the guys at a stealership actually slathered RTV all over one, which in retrospect is probably the best possible solution. Still, replaced quite a few before that came up as an option. Mine was the 2+2, but thankfully it was the classic metallic silver. And in my case it was the front end handling that saved my ass. Managed to somehow keep me on the road (barely, I could feel it breaking) on a sweeping entrance ramp at about 3 times the posted limit.

For shits and giggles I went online to see if there were any available (I'd go back to a 260, but I want to stay away from the 300s) and there are, but finding one that is a) not modded out the wazoo and b) reasonably priced for a 35 year old car with miles on it is seemingly impossible.  For some reason, people LOVED swapping out the Japanese engines for some Detroit muscle, and for the life of me, mine didn't need it. That was a fast car as is.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
This is making me wish I coulda have inherited my Dad's 280. I fucking LOVED that car. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
Sadly I have never had anyone I would consider a role model. I have had people I admire in life, but no one I would tag as a role model.
I wish I could say my dad, but sadly in many ways he made me strive to be the opposite of what he was. I have tried to be a better father to my daughter than my father was to me.
Still all that being said I am sad he died when I was 23 years old. I wish he was still around.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
1.  Yeah.  A female friend that I've known since we were 5.  Just the way she presents herself to people and always brings a certain positive aura when she makes her presence felt around our friends and have sometimes make me evaluate how I approach things in life and how I could better myself.  I pegged her as much as a muse as Alter Bridge (more on that on #2) and the LA Kings.  Sadly, we have drifted apart and, sure, we see each other from time to time in church, but other than a brief hello, there's not much to talk about to each other.  That said, I think from here on out, no matter how the status of our relationship/dynamics/whatever have shifted or whatever events are happening or going to happen, I will always peg her as a source of inspiration when times are tough.

2. Well, this one's easy.  Alter Bridge's Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy.  Every naysayers I see have come around and say stuff around the veins like "Tremonti's never going to be as a well-known guitar icon like Hendrix, Page, Slash, Eddie Van Halen, etc" or "Myles is a dull frontman and he doesn't have the charisma or attitude to fill the shoes of singing Axl Rose's songs." 

I say, "Who cares?"  To most of the general public, they may not think highly of them, but, to me and to most Alter Bridge fans, they have always been a key source of inspiration that has taught a lot of conveying all kinds of emotions through a great medium such as music and their enthusiasm over playing the guitar is insanely infectious to see.  I'm not looking for rock stars as a role model, I'm just looking for someone that I can feel a connection with, that I can relate to with their sounds, words, story, and how they present themselves and someone that I can aspire to be as a person and that's why I pegged Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy true heroes to me.  I wouldn't know where I would be if I didn't have their music to take solace in.  Probably somewhere not pretty.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
My grandfather, Frank. He was strong, quiet, and wise beyond measure. I was taught that the Holy Bible teaches us to live a Christian life. No man I have ever known embodied that principle like my grandfather. He was incredibly compassionate; and worked tirelessly to serve his God, his family, his country and his community. He didn't have an unkind bone in his body. He would have given a total stranger the last of anything he had if that person was in need. I can count on one hand the number of times I saw him angry. Sadly, they were all at me probably.  :lol
I became a Master Mason to honor his memory and what he stood for.

He had a razor sharp wit; and an amazing sense of humor. He could have passed for Fred Gwynnes twin brother; both in looks and voice. He was a pretty quiet fellow, but when that deep bass voice would start to talk, people listened. He could always come up with the perfect advice, that was always calming and reassuring, no matter the circumstance. He used to recite these little "sonnet sermons" as I called them, that were spot on, and I still recall all of them to this day. An engineer by trade, he was incredibly gifted with building and making things with his hands. He was a master carpenter, who also could work a loom and weave cloth. And he had an amazing green thumb. My entire family grew up on the bounty of his enormous, perfectly tended gardens. And he had a deep love and respect for nature; that I am blessed to have had passed down to me.

He embodies in me the spirit that family comes first, no matter what else.

If I could live ten lifetimes to perfect in myself the type of man that he was, I would fall painfully short. He was an amazing person, and this Earth was made better because he lived on it. I try to live up to his example every day.

"When a task is once begun,
You leave it not until it's done.
And be a matter great or small,
You do it well or not at all."

"Remember this....If God made nearly every day perfect for us, without struggles, pains and difficulties, we couldn't handle it when we had a truly bad day. Sometimes we need to face adversity in order to learn how to become successful and appreciate the good in our lives."

"The person who will not stand for something will fall for anything."

"You cannot control every situation in life; but you can control how you respond to every situation."

"Every choice you make has a consequence."

"If you learn from every loss, then you were never really defeated at all."

"People can take away your possessions, your money, your family, and even your life; but they can never take away your education."

"Remember that half a loaf of bread is better than none at all. Sometimes if we ask for too much, we might wind up with nothing." (his usual end to his anti-union rant. :lol )

"If you love and put your family above all else, everything else in your life will immediately fall into place."

"People won't remember how much money you had, or how smart you were. But they will remember how kind you were."

" You can window dress and cover up a lot of things, but you can never mask pure evil. It will always reveal itself." (this was his usual end to his Nazi Germany rant.  :lol )

I miss you Popaw!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
TV......are you sure your Grandfather and my Grandfather aren't the same person  :lol      Sounds like a heck of a fella........
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 06:04:48 PM »
Oh yea and then there's Hef. File him under celeb role model.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:51 AM »
TV......are you sure your Grandfather and my Grandfather aren't the same person  :lol      Sounds like a heck of a fella........

He was Gary. Sounds like if your grandfather was similar he was too.  :tup
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."