Author Topic: The Walking Dead - Comic Thread  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walking Dead - Comic Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
I know what y'all mean. On my second read through of this weeks group, I noticed more nuance provided to the story through the artwork.

For instance: in the second issue, the frame where Rick encounters the scene of the Family suicide. On the first reading I didn't notice the large crucifix hanging on the wall. The scene takes on a sadder and deeper note when you realise how desperate (despondent?) this family must have been to violate the unwavering Catholic policy against murder and suicide. Essentially these people were choosing an eternity of suffering over their current situation or (perhaps more likely) had lost all faith and ended the horror.

So, I agree, that taking the time to enjoy the art is essential to getting the most out of the comic. That being said, I've read comics with more compelling artwork than what is presented in these first 6 issues. I do think it gets better, later, but I don't want to get ahead of the discussion.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
So, I agree, that taking the time to enjoy the art is essential to getting the most out of the comic. That being said, I've read comics with more compelling artwork than what is presented in these first 6 issues. I do think it gets better, later, but I don't want to get ahead of the discussion.

I'd say the the artwork does get better. I imagine is takes the drawing teams a while (even if experienced) to really get into the mind of the story. I think both the artwork and darkness of the story get better as the series goes on.

For instance: in the second issue, the frame where Rick encounters the scene of the Family suicide. On the first reading I didn't notice the large crucifix hanging on the wall. The scene takes on a sadder and deeper note when you realise how desperate (despondent?) this family must have been to violate the unwavering Catholic policy against murder and suicide.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:48 AM »
At the risk of having a conversation with myself...

Issue 2 was good, with the highlights being, the aforementioned suicide scene and Glen's rescue of Rick from Atlanta. I thought the frames where Rick broke down while describing his concern for his family were well done.

On the flip side, I didn't care for the horse rescue only to have Rick be so stupid that just rides it into a herd. Was he expecting them to just leave him alone/...after what he'd experienced? Nonsense.

The reuniting of the Grimes family is just this side of cheesy to me and the Science Dog tee shirt on Carl just screams "comic nerd inside joke". It just brings me out of the world and nudges the whole world in the wrong direction...assuming the author wants the reader to take it seriously.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
At the risk of having a conversation with myself...

...yeah, I'm sorry. I haven't had a chance to re-read them yet. I'll get on it
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
The reuniting of the Grimes family is just this side of cheesy to me and the Science Dog tee shirt on Carl just screams "comic nerd inside joke". It just brings me out of the world and nudges the whole world in the wrong direction...assuming the author wants the reader to take it seriously.

I always felt the Grimes family was reunited way too quickly. Rick just randomly stumbles upon them after not even 3 days in the apocalypse? Right..
They could have done a lot more with that plotline.

I think the very first line of dialogue in the comic sums up the Walking Dead Universe perfectly. Spoken by Shane:
"This is NOT good."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:53:44 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
I agree with the too quickly thing as well. It would have been nice if Rick and Glenn were maybe forced to spend more time together prior to escaping the city, or if we got a look into the group a little bit more before rick's arrival.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
So how far is everyone in Vol.1?
I wanna make sure everyone else is done before I post anymore of my thoughts. I don't wanna spoil anything.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:26 AM »
So how far is everyone in Vol.1?
I wanna make sure everyone else is done before I post anymore of my thoughts. I don't wanna spoil anything.

I haven't re-read everything yet, but I have read it before. Post away. I say we treat this like the TV version thread. Everything for the week is fair game to discuss. Don't want spoilers? Avoid the thread until you read :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
Yeah, I've read issues 1-12 and reread issues 1-6 on Monday. I've been spreading out my posts for the week in an effort to give room for discussion of each issue. Like Chino says, post away!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
Issue 3 is a good addition to the story because it takes the time to give us some background on a few characters. The little girl asking Carl if he thinks her dad will come back like his did is heartbreaking. Also, it continues to reinforce some of the world's rules in undead killing...you must brain them!  :biggrin:

Of course, the larger point that Shane is jealous and resentful of Rick is stressed in this issue.

Art wise, this is the weakest in this weeks group. Moore seems hell-bent on avoiding detail unless there is a walker in the frame, then he overdoes it some. It comes off as being a bit lazy in some frames but I'm wondering in you folks think it's intentional? Is the high detail of the walkers his way of making the horror more real? Is the low detail of the characters his way of making it more dream like? Disorienting?

I don't know. I'd like to think there is some higher storytelling purpose but my instinct tells me that Moore just prefers drawing the gore.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:03:32 AM by Podaar »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »
Cool beans.
My thoughts on Vol.1
- When Amy gets bit, doesn't the walker look a bit like the convict who shot Rick at the beginning?
- Carl is the first person to kill a human in the series. I always thought that was a great way to set the tone and show that this series isn't fucking around.
- Donna is a bitch.
- As I said earlier, the Grimes family was reunited way too early.
- I actually liked Tony Moore's art style.
- I wonder whatever happened to Rick's brother, Jeff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Issue 4 is where the series really get's exciting....and that cover!

Right away I think the inking is superior and the conversation between Rick and Shane strikes the right mood. Of course, Rick and Glenn's expedition is tense and awesome. I like when Glen mentions that the gloomy skies fit their circumstances better and that he was getting tired of sunny, bright skies.  :lol  It's like the writer was reading my mind.

Moore does a great job with Shane and Lori's conversation at the end. Somehow he get's body language into still images. Absolutely terrific work!

This is my favorite issue of the first six.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
To me Issue 5 is where Moore hits his stride. All the characters are recognizable (in the earlier issues it was hard to tell Amy, Andrea and Carol apart) and I think the inking is very balanced.

Story wise, there's a temptation to chalk it up as a background filler issue. Between the target practice and the campfire coffee klatch there is a lot of discussion about where the characters come from.

My take away from the issue is: 1) That, inspite of Lori's concerns, Carl's learning to handle a weapon is valuable to the group as seen in his saving of Lori herself. 2) Shane's jealousy and irrational commitment to "his plan" is putting the group in more danger than their equipped handle. Increasing the tension between Rick and Shane while simultaneously making Carl an efficient weapon handler perfectly sets up Issue 6.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
Just wrapped up issue #6 on my lunch break. I think #6 is my favorite issue of this volume. Shane's anger is more visible that in the show, at least to the other people in the camp. I can't decide whether or not I like the way the comics handled Shane, at least up until this point. Rick killing shane in the show was way more intense and shocking, but then again, I understand why the comic books took this route. It's cool that Carl makes the series first non-walker kill.

Here's an example in regards to an earlier comment I made, the one about details in the drawings. Maybe this isn't that big of a deal, but if you're reading through the comics pretty quickly, focussing mainly on the text, you could easily miss something as pictured below. This page taked place right after Shane and Rick wonder off together, after Lori scrathes Shane's face. You can see Carl watching his dad walk away and then follow him while his mom is distracted.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
When I first read the comics a few years back, I had already watched the first season of the show, was not all that impressed, and had dropped it a few episodes into the second. So my expectations were rather low. Luckily, the I liked the comics much better than the tv series, and it is still just as good on a reread.

The one thing that stood out was the scene with Carl and Shane. Any hope of restoring the prior status quo dies with Shane, and the fact that Carl is the one to kill him represents an end of innocence, and is an indicator of the nature of future conflicts.

And now I am really looking forward to certain scenes in the upcoming volumes. :drool:
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 06:18:16 AM »
Issue 6...where we learn much more about Amy's character after her death than we ever knew in life. We learn that different people react differently to walker bites (or should that be biter bites?). Shane's a conniving, two-faced lunatic. Teaching your seven year old to handle a handgun well is a smart survival strategy when you best friend turns on you. Finally, killing the live ones isn't like killing the dead ones.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:43 AM »
Also, the comics, especially the one above, make Lori look very unattractive.