Author Topic: I can't watch shows regularly anymore.  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I can't watch shows regularly anymore.
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:23 AM »
I came to the conclusion last night that I can no longer watch TV shows (primarily new ones) in the traditional one episode per week format. Netflix has spoiled me so hard. I've binge watched;

Lost
Revolution
Prison Break
New Girl
House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Derek
Once Upon a Time
Fringe
Parks and Recreation
30 Rock
Breaking Bad (with the exception of the last 8 episodes)
Malcolm in the Middle
The Wonder Years
Friends (Currently)
Marco Polo
Freaks and Geeks
The League
Wilfred
Cosmos (reboot)
... and several others. It's too early to think of all of them at teh moment.

The point is, I can no longer stand watching a single new episode. I have to be able to watch many at time. For example, The walking Dead. I'm dying to see the newest episodes. I have all three on my computer and I can watch them anywhere on AMC.com. As badly as I want to see what's happening, I can't get myself to just watch an episode or two. I need to be able to sit down and watch a bunch of them. I find myself waiting for seasons to finish and then binge watching the season over a weekend.

Anyone else starting to watch TV the same way?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:44:56 AM by Chino »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: I can't watch shows regularly anymore.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:50 AM »
While I love being able to binge watch old shows, I'd never ever want it to become the standard way to digest new shows.
The anticipation, and spacing out a show over a real period of time adds to the experience and payoff, even if you really think you want to see the next episode now. If it's a show currently airing, I hate waiting a long time for the next season only to have forgotten what happened last season because it was close to a year ago, and I watched them so quickly that I didn't retain the details.

Both approaches have their place, but for new shows, I'll always watch it each week as soon as it airs. I'm not waiting just to blow it all in one day.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:20 AM »
With my DVR, I have so many shows to watch I don't binge watch a single show like you do but I do binge watch multiple shows and no commercials which I love.  We had Netflix years ago and when we watched 24 season 5, on TV.  So we rented seasons 1 through 4 and binge watched like you talk about Chino and we were staying up so late because we wanted another episode. :lol

I was getting 5 hours of sleep.  It wasn't good!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »

Both approaches have their place

This.   Some shows (The Mindy Project comes to mind) aren't really meant for binge watching.  They are sort of the TV equivalent of a potato chip; entertaining, but not filling.   So you watch those in a group and you find that continuity is out the window.   

In contrast, I think I like Breaking Bad as much as I do, because I was able to immerse myself in it over the space of a couple days (up till the last season) and really get the beauty of the arc. 

As for commercials, even when I watch something "live", I wait until about quarter past the start so that I can skip the commercials.  And the new trend of putting commercials (and NO fast forward!) on the OnDemand feature makes it virtually unusable for me, except in the most rare of circumstances (where I lose an episode I DVR'd or something). 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:42:08 AM »
I don't really like watching/reading anything serially anymore. And as far as shows go I really don't want to have to tolerate commercials, so Netflix is the clear choice there.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »
Yeah, I pretty much always got DVD sets of TV shows and so while there were still some shows I ended up seeing on TV first and following week by week (24 and Lost were probably the most notable), most of my favourite shows I ended up watching more season by season (get a season on DVD, get the next when it comes back). So I've felt like this for years, can't imagine having to watch some of my favourite shows one episode per week.

These days I watch some shows on a weekly basis but those are actually often either ones that I like but don't care enough to go for the optimal viewing experience, or ones that are so popular that people are constantly blabbing about them and potentially spoiling them (e.g. Game Of Thrones). If I can I normally wait to record all or most of a season then watch it, or else just wait for them to come out on Blu Ray.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »
I don't mind binging some things I have missed, but watching episodically is my preferred method.  Because there is something about seeing the new episode now. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »
I saw the first season of Lost and loved it but the second season didn't air until a year after the premier where I lived so I lost interest in the show quickly. It wasn't until the final season was about to air when I bought every season on DVD and binged watched it all at home, I wish I had the patience to do that on other shows because that was the greatest thing ever. During one month I ploughed through season 2-5 and was so hyped and ready for the final season.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:46:52 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »
I find myself enjoying shows most when I watch a couple episodes every couple of days. The moderate spacing helps me digest the material and retain it. I'm using that idea with The Sopranos right now and it's working perfectly. Binging just ends up muddling the details in my head.

I normally watch the prior week's episode before watching the new one for shows I watch currently, so I don't have any problems there since that only applies to four shows. Life's busy, but I can make room for that.

Honestly though, if it's the right show, I enjoy having to wait a week for the next episode. Take season 5B of Breaking Bad. It was fun for me, having to wait for each episode of that fantastic run. I know I would've enjoyed it had I binge-watched it, and had I not watched it live, I would have, but having to wait between episodes enhanced the experience so much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 05:56:16 AM »
I can't be bothered with serialised fiction. Having to wait a week for a conclusion or resolution. Or even sometimes having to wait a year and not even getting a resolution. That would drive me mad.

That's why I like TNG. You can pretty much just stick on any episode and it's a self contained story.