Author Topic: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Songs of Innocence  (Read 22953 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Songs of Innocence
« on: February 22, 2015, 07:45:02 AM »

In October 1980, the band that would eventually become one of the biggest and most popular in rock history, released their debut record. Originally called The Hype, the band now known as U2 released Boy, which had some minor success, as the first track "I Will Follow" was a minor hit, and "Out of Control," which was released as a part of a mini-EP in Ireland before the debut hit record stores, met with a bit of success previously. This debut is a fascinating record, considering it had the attitude of punk at times, but with elements as powerful as Bono's voice and stage presence, and The Edge's signature guitar sound, they had a much bigger sound than your average punk record. I don't think anyone would say they heard this and knew U2 would become as big as they eventually would, but there was definitely something special that was detectible in there amongst the raw fury of many of those tunes.

I didn't hear U2 until around 1983-1984, and didn't really get into them until 1987-1988, so this was not a record I knew right away.  In fact, I don't think I ever actually heard Boy from start to finish until sometime in the last 10 years, so I think not hearing it until after nearly everything else they had done was seeded deep into my musical consciousness, made me appreciate it more, as I went in thinking, "Let's see where it all began," rather than judging it on merit alone, which may or may not be the best approach, but there it is.

Aside from those two "hits," other standouts are "The Electric Co.," which would be taken to another level when played live, like so many of their songs, and the back-to-back of  "An Cat Dubh" and "Into the Heart" featured a deceptively creative guitar hook by Edge, not to mention becoming one of those duos that would always be played together, helped by the fact that they do run into each without any stoppage. The rest of the album has its moments, but nothing that is overly notable. Overall, this is a very solid debut record, and the classic U2 elements were on display from the very start.

Regarding this thread, how long my write-ups will be, and how frequent updates will be, will depend largely on participation.  I am not sure how many people will be interested in this thread, since there aren't a ton of U2 fans here, so I will see how feedback is early on and go from there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:56:41 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: Boy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
I've not actually heard a lot of "Boy" "War" and "October" . I'm mainly familiar with The Unforgettable Fire and onwards. I started my U2 fandom after hearing The Joshua Tree in the late 90s.

I'll dip in and out of this thread and give my opinions on certain tracks up until then haha. :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
I'm in.  I got into U2 during the War album and was lucky enough to have parents allow a 15 year old see U2 in Boston.  Of course i went back and bought October and Boy right away. 

My first impressions were rock with a punky attitude and the lyrics were of young men dealing with all the issues of Ireland of the day.  I was hooked as a 15 year old.  An Cat Dubh is my favorite tune from the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
Prior to 1987, I only knew U2 songs that got played on MTV, so all I knew for years was New Year's Day, the live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday (MTV played the Red Rocks version as a video) and Pride (In the Name of Love).  I am not sure what I would have thought of many of those early deep cuts had I heard them at that young of an age.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:11:53 PM »
U2 are great. As this album is, I really like it, especially the ones you mentioned.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
I fear participation is gonna be low in this one. :|

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
I was intrigued by U2 when they came out. That video for new Year's Day is etched into my memory. I probably won't have anything to add to this thread, other than seeing them a couple of times in 87 & 92.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The history of U2 v. Discography Thread: October
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »

Released in October of 1981, U2's 2nd album, October, didn't do as well as their debut IIRC, but it still had a lead track, "Gloria," that has stood the test of time as a true U2 classic.  I didn't hear the record until I got back into the band in the late 00s, and I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but "I Threw a Brick Through a Window," the title track and "Scarlet" all struck me a really good tunes. "Tomorrow" is a bit of an odd tune for them, but it has nice melodies, as well as some oddly strange ones.  The opening riff of "Stranger in a Strange Lead" is pretty killer; too bad the song never really gets as good as that opening did.  Overall, this is a solid sophomore effort, if not particularly noteworthy.  Great things would be coming shortly thereafter.  :coolio

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
Sorry, I didn't realize this had started.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
No biggie.  But if participation stays this limited, I will zip through it pretty fast and the reviews will all be pretty short.  No point in taking the time to write long reviews if very few are gonna have any feedback or participate themselves.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »
This album was a real grower on me.  So young, so raw.  If I remember Adam almost left the band because he felt separate from the band because they were all very religious and we heard all the Adam stories later.

My favorite songs are "I Fall Down" & "I Threw a Brick Through a Window".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
I'll have to revisit I Fall Down.  I admittedly do not have the entire October CD uploaded to my iTunes, and I usually know stuff I do in the  discography threads well enough to where I don't need to do the token/reminder listen to it before featuring it. 

One thing that is noteworthy about early U2 material, and this can be said about the first four albums, is the cold, wintery feel a lot of it had.  Even though it is mainly just Bono's voice and piano, the song October sounds like something you should be listening to on a cold, snowy day.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
Hell yeah,  Just like the video for "New Years Day". 

I think all the strife happening in Ireland at the time and they came from an industrial town forged that sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
True, but of course a lot of it comes in the production and the way their albums were mixed.  It's like they managed to nail that vibe perfectly, even while getting their feet wet while perfecting their songwriting craft.  And like most bands, there is a joyful energy that is on those albums that you can never quite recapture.  Ah, to be 22 again. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
22?  I was 15!   :lol

Crap.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »
I meant they were early 20s (22ish) when they wrote that early stuff, not me.  Or maybe I confused myself. :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »
So the 4 guys in U2 are roughly the same age or slightly older than the guys in Metallica.

Which 4 band members look WAY better for their age ? :lol

The Edge especially does not look like he is in his early 50s.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »
I'm guessing that, aside from Adam Clayton, the U2 guys never partied as hard as the Metallica guys did in their younger years.  Partying hard ages you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:06 AM »
WBCN in Boston was instrumental in helping U2.  WBCN simulcast many of  early live concerts U2 played in Boston.  WBCN was the first American radio station to play U2 on their airwaves.  U2 in many interview have talked about how grateful they were that this radio station helped them get a foothold in America.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:41 AM »
I'm guessing that, aside from Adam Clayton, the U2 guys never partied as hard as the Metallica guys did in their younger years.  Partying hard ages you.

Lars especially needs to just shave his head. That dyed black skullet thing he's got now with his enormous forehead isn't doing him any favours.

A couple of years ago he shaved his head completely bald and he looked so much better.

Also i'll be able to better participate in this thread once you get to The Joshua Tree :lol

I'm very familiar with every album from then on.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 06:24:51 AM »
Damn I didn't notice that this started anyway, I'll be participating. I know very little U2 and I have always wanted to explore more, this will give me the perfect oppotunity. I'll post after I listen to the first album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:01 AM »
I first got *interested* in U2 when I heard New Years Day on a holiday in France in around 1993 !

I didn't really start liking them "full-on" til I heard The Joshua Tree album sometime in 1997.

I've owned every album from then on.

I've heard The Unforgettable Fire but apart from maybe a few songs I didn't enjoy it as much as the later stuff. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »
WBCN in Boston was instrumental in helping U2.  WBCN simulcast many of  early live concerts U2 played in Boston.  WBCN was the first American radio station to play U2 on their airwaves.  U2 in many interview have talked about how grateful they were that this radio station helped them get a foothold in America.

Carter Allen was the deejay, I believe. :coolio

Also i'll be able to better participate in this thread once you get to The Joshua Tree :lol

I'm very familiar with every album from then on.

Right on.  :hat

Damn I didn't notice that this started anyway, I'll be participating. I know very little U2 and I have always wanted to explore more, this will give me the perfect oppotunity. I'll post after I listen to the first album.

Good to hear! Feel free to jump in and discuss whatever whenever.  :tup :tup

I've heard The Unforgettable Fire but apart from maybe a few songs I didn't enjoy it as much as the later stuff. :)

Not to get ahead of things here, but TUF is very top-heavy. The first four songs are great, and then Bad on Side 2 is fantastic (although topped by most live versions), but the rest of is pretty, well, forgettable (ironic, given the title of the album :lol :lol).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:53 AM »
Sure was.  Cater Allen was a tremendous DJ.  Man you could tell he was a music lover.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
It's about time Beantown was good for something besides Cheers. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »
And, and, and CHOWDA! :lol

Well the next album will be cool.  I was a 15 year old lad that got to see U2 at the Orpheum in Boston.  Saw them as well on the Unforgettable Fire Tour as well and both were a religious experience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
I will forever kick myself for never seeing U2 until the 360 tour. :facepalm:

But I was too young for concerts in the 80s, and by the time I started going to concerts in 1990/1991, I had moved away from U2 - that was when I got into classic rock: Floyd, Moody Blues, Rush, etc. - and while they had their moments with me over the years, like when I finally got into Achtung Baby in 1996, I wasn't a hardcore U2 fan like I was from 1987-1989 again until around 2009, I believe. 

I still remember actually being downtown near the stadium in September 1992 the night U2 played there on the Zoo TV tour.  My girlfriend at the time was going to SLU, but we were going through a rough time and on the verge of breaking up, so going to a concert was the last thing on my mind that night.  Damn it all to hell. :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
I was lucky that my parents trusted me as well as my friends that were old enough to drive.  I don't think I could have done that now but they knew how passionate I was about music and responsible to get home right away.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
It's about time Beantown was good for something besides Cheers. :biggrin:

whut ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Just having some fun with kingshmegland.  :lol :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »
 :lol

I'm tough. 1/2 Irish. See it fits the thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 05:40:29 PM »
I'm 0/4 Irish which is why I hate Guinness :neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
Can't say I'll be a big participant in this one, but I do have to admit that of all bands that I missed seeing live back in the day, U2 would be right behind Queen. I even had a chance to see the free show they did at Justin Herman Plaza in SF and decided class was more important. Someone go back in time and beat the crap out of young me please.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
Not as familiar with their older stuff like this, but I will listen and contribute as much as I can.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.