Author Topic: SNL's 40th....  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: SNL's 40th....
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 07:08:18 AM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

Well, I think that is an opinion colored by other things besides her actual ability, because I've heard her sing things that debunk your critiques, but nonetheless, compare that with the performance at the end of the show by the writer of that song to see "mediocre".

That Paul Simon performance was everything I dislike about him and some artists in particular.  His strength is and always was composition, and the ensemble performance of songs that had a rare and touching human element.  His strength never was, and certainly is not now at 73, being a guy who could stand unaccompanied at a mike and capture the audience, ala Paul McCartney or Tony Bennett (who, by the way, is on fire for a guy who is 88).  Though the song choice was very appropriate ("Still Crazy After All These Years") it was, in my view, an arrogant and vain performance, and not in a good way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:05 AM »
Anyone notice Spade sitting there with the empty nip bottle while Piscopo did Sinatra? 

Also, not to rumor-monger, but what up with John Goodman?  I thought he has been vocally sober and had lost a lot of weight; he didn't look as if he has kept it off, and his delivery was very labored; my daughter actually asked me if he was "wasted".

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

Well, I think that is an opinion colored by other things besides her actual ability, because I've heard her sing things that debunk your critiques, but nonetheless, compare that with the performance at the end of the show by the writer of that song to see "mediocre".

That is my honest assessment. It's not swayed by what she does beyond music. To me Lady GaGa is a freak, but she is an awesome singer. Even when Christina Aguilera was doing her hoe stage, it did not change my opinion of her as a phenomenal talent. Miley Cyrus is meh. I stand by that opinion as someone who has been singing for 30 years. Her technical skills are average. She isn't awful, she is just a very average singer who wouldn't get very far on a show like American Idol where she would be exposed for what she is...average.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:28 AM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

I stand by that opinion as someone who has been singing for 30 years.
And that makes you an authority on singing?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

William Hung was so good, he didn't require any professional training.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
Haven't seen the episode other than a few sketches but it's fun hearing Jimmy and his experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0XleMIKKNg
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

Not an authority, but I have a clue. If anyone really thinks Miley Cyrus is that good I'm happy for her.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
She is a serviceable singer.  She is certainly not extraordinary.  I would label her as OK.

I agree she would most likely have trouble on a show like American Idol or The Voice.  Of course, she didn't become a celebrity in the first place because of her talent, so this isn't a controversial statement.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »
She is a serviceable singer.  She is certainly not extraordinary.  I would label her as OK.

I agree she would most likely have trouble on a show like American Idol or The Voice.  Of course, she didn't become a celebrity in the first place because of her talent, so this isn't a controversial statement.
That's exactly as I see her. I never said she was awful, I said she is average. That's all she is.

Chino said... "Miley Cyrus is actually talented as fuck."

That is a bit much. Christina Aguilera is "talented as fuck" Miley Cyrus...not so much.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
You guys really take other people's opinions way too seriously. Really.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 04:00:28 PM »
You guys see the articles about Eddie Murphy turning down playing Bill Cosby in a skit? That's why he just... like... was there and didn't do anything funny.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Calvin6s

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
You guys see the articles about Eddie Murphy turning down playing Bill Cosby in a skit? That's why he just... like... was there and didn't do anything funny.
I heard Eddie did it to not kick Cosby while he was down.  And the fact that as bad as it looks for Cosby, he hasn't been found guilty of anything.

Considering that is more or less how I feel about Cosby, I respect Murphy's decision.  It does seem strange that they didn't have something else prepared for him considering the Cosby blow up started some time ago.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
I think with Piscipo doing the Sinatra thing, him and Eddie should've revised that Ebony and Ivory sketch from back in the day

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »

That's exactly as I see her. I never said she was awful, I said she is average. That's all she is.

That is a bit much. Christina Aguilera is "talented as fuck" Miley Cyrus...not so much.

How talented is fuck anyway?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
You guys really take other people's opinions way too seriously. Really.  :rollin
Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »

I'm thinking very

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »

I think you answered it yourself. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »
Miley's no Sia, but I'd definitely say she's better than just 'OK'. Like, I'm an 'OK' singer. I would have to say she's at least a 'good' singer.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 06:21:45 AM »
Miley's no Sia, but I'd definitely say she's better than just 'OK'. Like, I'm an 'OK' singer. I would have to say she's at least a 'good' singer.
She's good compared to your OK.

She's OK compared to other professional singers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »

I don't see much difference between Miley and Sia, frankly.  Not on the Sia train (and not relevant, but totally done with the dancer.)

Also, I don't get the use of "American Idol" as the bellweather.  Sure, some great talent has come out of there (Clarkson, Underwood, Hudson, Daughtry = The Real Deal) but there is a lot of crap on there too.   I personally blame AI for the "decision" to make melismatic singing the standard by which amateurs and hacks get deemed to have "talent".   Right up there with drops, electronic drums and growling vocals for worst/overused musical trope in the last 15 years. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
Also, I don't get the use of "American Idol" as the bellweather. 
Just because it is a singing competition.  It may not always produce stars, but you have to be a "better than OK" singer to make it through the gauntlet.  And I haven't heard Miley Cyrus sing anything ever that would convince me that she could make it on that show.  She doesn't suck, it's not that she can't carry a tune.  She's just not exceptional, in any way, as a singer.

Now, that's not to say that you can't like her music, or that she doesn't make music worth liking.  That is a whole other subject.

Calvin6s

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »
I think with Piscipo doing the Sinatra thing, him and Eddie should've revised that Ebony and Ivory sketch from back in the day

I forgot about that.  That would have been great.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
Maybe you suck and she is just ok?

(kidding)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
Also, I don't get the use of "American Idol" as the bellweather. 
Just because it is a singing competition.  It may not always produce stars, but you have to be a "better than OK" singer to make it through the gauntlet.  And I haven't heard Miley Cyrus sing anything ever that would convince me that she could make it on that show.  She doesn't suck, it's not that she can't carry a tune.  She's just not exceptional, in any way, as a singer.

Now, that's not to say that you can't like her music, or that she doesn't make music worth liking.  That is a whole other subject.

No, I get that they are different.  And that's the odd thing; for the most part I DON'T like her music.  The last song (Wrecking Ball) is okay, but the song before that was horrendous. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
I don't like any of her songs.  But that's OK, I'm not her target audience.  She doesn't have to impress me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
I don't like any of her songs.  But that's OK, I'm not her target audience.  She doesn't have to impress me.

You've crossed that threshold when you know people look at you and call you sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »

You've crossed that threshold when you know people look at you and call you sir.

That's a fact Jack

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
I got news for you, my daughter Bri is 14 and watched Hannah Montana religiously growing up. She IS the target audience and she cringed watching her sing on SNL40. My daughter also thinks she turned into a nasty hoe. So not all target audience fans like what Miley has become.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did see the Bill Murray singing the "Jaws Love Theme" and was nearly in tears laughing.

"YOU GOT-DAMN JAAAWS!"
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
I just watched the Celebrity Jeopardy segment.   :lol     Norm McDonald is awesome.

So why didn't Dennis Miller come back?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »

I'm guessing the now-ultra conservative Dennis Miller wasn't too wild about appearing on anything on NBC, which is very liberal.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did see the Bill Murray singing the "Jaws Love Theme" and was nearly in tears laughing.

"YOU GOT-DAMN JAAAWS!"

Is THAT what they bleeped?   I was wondering...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »

I'm guessing the now-ultra conservative Dennis Miller wasn't too wild about appearing on anything on NBC, which is very liberal.

Well I wouldn't call him "ultra" conservative.  Is that really the reason though?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »

"YOU GOT-DAMN JAAAWS!"

Is THAT what they bleeped?   I was wondering...

They bleeped it? It was uncensored on YouTube, and the funniest part of the whole thing from just the way he sang it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
I was west coast...and they bleeped something.   I'm assuming that was it at this point. 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude