Author Topic: SNL's 40th....  (Read 7626 times)

Offline jammindude

SNL's 40th....
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »
So far...

The Blues Brothers performance was a huge missed opportunity.    I was hoping and waiting for it, and Jim and Dan came out *completely lifeless*....and that bled over onto the audience.   No one cared because Jim and Dan seemed to not care. 

Bill Murray KILLED it.   I don't know what he got bleeped for, but maybe my east coast friends can give me some insight.  His performance was perfect.

Eddie Murphy should have stayed home.    Worst...comeback...ever.      "You know what Lorne?  I'll end my 35 year hold out if you make one segment all about me, with Chris Rock proclaiming to the entire audience that I saved the entire show and none of you would be here without me.   I will then come out and applaud myself and force all of you to cut to commercial"     Go home Eddie....your career was over 10 years ago.   

Seriously.   The two appearances I was looking forward to the most were Murray and Murphy.    Murray was amazing, Murphy was just a complete and total ASS. 

Anyone else have any thoughts?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: SNL's 40th....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
I loved the return of my favorite classic bits: Celebrity Jeapardy. "Le Tits Now"  :lol Might be the highlight of the special. Also Amy Poehler and Tina Fey doing Weekend Update with Jane Curtin was pretty special as well.

EDIT:

I'm in Pacific time, so the special is still airing, but that In Memoriam was fantastic, especially when they keep including Jon Lovitz  :lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:12:06 AM by Accelerando »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:59 AM »
I missed it. I'm trying to find a way to watch it now, but I'm not having much luck.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »
Overall, I loved it. 

I laughed throughout the Californians sketch.  I'm amazed the actors didn't lose their shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »
The best part was Wayne's World.

But I knew this show was gonna suck...and controversial...why else did they have Miley Cyrus sing...Illuminati.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »
God awful! I have been a huge fan of the show for all 40 years and this was pretty damn bad!
Eddie Murphy had not been back since he left. It seems he was determined to make sure he didn't do or said nothing even remotely funny. Chevy Chase looked old and bloated and sounded almost sickly. Dan Ackroyd also looked uncomfortable. It seemed even the biggest and best pros like Robert Deniro stumbled over everything they tried to say. Only a very few shined. Steve Martin and Martin Short were the only old timers that still have it. Billy Crystal does as well but they didn't do much with him.

Just a huge disappointment for me!

and lets not forget the atrocious musical guests like Miley Cyrus and Kanye West.

Very few live sketches and a mish mosh of clips showing about 3 seconds of each clip they showed. Not enough time to even laugh at them.

Fail.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
My biggest takeaway is that it SUCKS to get old.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
I'm sure there were some funny moments but I generally stay away from those type of reunion shows. It's usually a let down because it's near impossible to capture the 'magic' the skits or the cast members had back when they were on the show.....plus, I figured it would just be a couple hours of them stroking each other off and telling themselves how great they are.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
Loraine Newman looked great and did a fantastic job on the Californians skit. The Wayne's World skit was awesome. And I was ready to shut the tv off when Myley Cyrus walked on stage, but she shocked me by being tasteful and doing a fantastic version of 50 Ways. (I was a bit surprised Paul didn't join her...but oh well)

The Weekend Update with Jane Curtain was awesome, and Emma Stone did a surprisingly good Roseanne Rossannadana impression. McCarthy's impression of Farley was not as good.

Steve Martin was awesome as usual.

But still, Eddie Murphy really pissed me off, and I still feel bad that the Blues Brothers could have been so much better than it was.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. There were classic moments (Jeopardy, Murray), some terrible moments (Murphy), quite a few meh moments (Akroyd, Chase, BB), surprises (Cyrus, McCartney with Simon).

I had a good time by the end.

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »
It had the nice nostalgia feeling going on, but I only made it half way through before I had to take a break from it.  When all is said and done, it wasn't as good as the originals so any laughs came from nostalgia more than truly being amused.  I will try to watch the rest of it tonight in case it became better in the end.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
It had the nice nostalgia feeling going on, but I only made it half way through before I had to take a break from it.  When all is said and done, it wasn't as good as the originals so any laughs came from nostalgia more than truly being amused.  I will try to watch the rest of it tonight in case it became better in the end.
Don't bother, it got FAR worse as it progressed!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
Loraine Newman looked great and did a fantastic job on the Californians skit. The Wayne's World skit was awesome. And I was ready to shut the tv off when Myley Cyrus walked on stage, but she shocked me by being tasteful and doing a fantastic version of 50 Ways. (I was a bit surprised Paul didn't join her...but oh well)

Really? You liked Miley Cyrus utterly butchering that song? I thought she was awful!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
The Blues Brothers performance was a huge missed opportunity.    I was hoping and waiting for it, and Jim and Dan came out *completely lifeless*....and that bled over onto the audience.   No one cared because Jim and Dan seemed to not care. 
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:53:29 PM »
If there are highlights somewhere I may check it out. It surprised me how many people that I follow actually watched this. I didn't think anyone even watched SNL still.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »

Dan Aykroyd doesn't do drugs. The aliens just wont stop doing tests on him.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »

Dan Aykroyd doesn't do drugs. The aliens just wont stop doing tests on him.
That was my point. You can't get older, sober people to recreate what they did when they were young, reckless and full of drugs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »

Really? You liked Miley Cyrus utterly butchering that song? I thought she was awful!

I was honestly waiting and WANTING to despise the entire thing...but it was actually really, really good.   

It actually pains me to say that.   But seriously...when she's not being trashy and obnoxious, that low "smoky" voice is not bad at all.   I thought she did a great job.  (even if she is usually a classless tramp.  Maybe she's trying to shape up her image)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
I've never gotten the SNL appeal.  Sure, they have some classic skits, but during the periods when I watched it a lot (which was usually when I was dating someone who liked watching it), the not funny greatly outweighed the funny.

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
I've never gotten the SNL appeal.  Sure, they have some classic skits, but during the periods when I watched it a lot (which was usually when I was dating someone who liked watching it), the not funny greatly outweighed the funny.

That just about sums it up.  You now have 40 years of skits to choose from.  In that, you can make some really great best of compilations.  There were some truly great moments.  But if you watch an actual episode, you realize that for every funny skit, there are probably 4 that are just sorta funny and 10 that are just bad.

This is why the last decade+ of DVR helps so much.  Watch the first 30 seconds.  If you didn't laugh in that time, skip to the next skit.  You can usually watch an SNL episode in about 10-15 minutes on your DVR (or Netflix account).

But I have to admit I don't even do that any more.  My DVR records all PrimeTime events from 7 or 8pm to 11 pm on CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox.  So the SNL40 was in my queue.  Everybody swears the current season is the new low, but I think that is because it is happening and not archived yet.  Once it is archived and people talk about the actually funny episodes, the seasons suddenly gets the nostalgia of being one of the good ones.

Why was there such a big deal about SNL40?  Well, it is a nice round number.  But 50 means more than 40, right?  Well, 40 might be the last round number with still enough surviving original cast members.  But it just scared me seeing some of the cast age so horribly.  Not just the original cast, but cast that were part of my teenage and early adult years.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:17 AM »
Maybe she's trying to shape up her image)
She should've gone in that direction in the very first place post-Disney. She's a great talent but doesn't do herself any favors in getting people to take her seriously.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 07:15:25 AM »
So far, the only bit of this 40th that I've seen was the celebrity jeopardy skit. I chuckled. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:21:27 AM »
So far, the only bit of this 40th that I've seen was the celebrity jeopardy skit. I chuckled. 

That was the best of the live skits imo, although the jokes were rehashes of old ones. Some of the monologues were good, but it was a long winded show with too many snippets of clips rather than full skits.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
I don't think it was as bad as everybody is pointing out.  It's a celebration show.  Now the regular show has been very poor of late.  I think the writing has been very bad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 07:46:22 AM »
I didn't much care for Miley or Kanye. Paul Mac should've picked a better song for his voice. I got the sense Eddie didn't really want to be there. Joe Piscipo was 100x better. Celeb Jeopardy and Wayne's World were the best bits. The Californians sketch was just too weird for my tastes

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »

I was honestly waiting and WANTING to despise the entire thing...but it was actually really, really good.   

It actually pains me to say that.   But seriously...when she's not being trashy and obnoxious, that low "smoky" voice is not bad at all.   I thought she did a great job.  (even if she is usually a classless tramp.  Maybe she's trying to shape up her image)

Honestly?  You don't have to like her, or her antics (I know I don't) but to say that Miley can't sing is just not being objective.  You may not LIKE her singing voice (that's the opinion part), but in terms of actually technical singing ability, she CAN sing.  And while I'm not a fan, I like any celebrity that can with good spirits poke fun at themselves, and she is good at that.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »

As someone who has sang in bands for 30 years I would say it wasn't all that good. That and the fact any novice singer could do that song well. It takes no range, and she has no range.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »

Honestly?  You don't have to like her, or her antics (I know I don't) but to say that Miley can't sing is just not being objective.  You may not LIKE her singing voice (that's the opinion part), but in terms of actually technical singing ability, she CAN sing.  And while I'm not a fan, I like any celebrity that can with good spirits poke fun at themselves, and she is good at that.
I don't agree, at all! She in NOT a good singer. Her technical skills are average at best

Offline masterthes

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Forgot to give praise to the opening with Justin and Jimmy, plus the new short

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »

That just about sums it up.  You now have 40 years of skits to choose from.  In that, you can make some really great best of compilations.  There were some truly great moments.  But if you watch an actual episode, you realize that for every funny skit, there are probably 4 that are just sorta funny and 10 that are just bad.

This is why the last decade+ of DVR helps so much.  Watch the first 30 seconds.  If you didn't laugh in that time, skip to the next skit.  You can usually watch an SNL episode in about 10-15 minutes on your DVR (or Netflix account).

But I have to admit I don't even do that any more.  My DVR records all PrimeTime events from 7 or 8pm to 11 pm on CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox.  So the SNL40 was in my queue.  Everybody swears the current season is the new low, but I think that is because it is happening and not archived yet.  Once it is archived and people talk about the actually funny episodes, the seasons suddenly gets the nostalgia of being one of the good ones.

Why was there such a big deal about SNL40?  Well, it is a nice round number.  But 50 means more than 40, right?  Well, 40 might be the last round number with still enough surviving original cast members.  But it just scared me seeing some of the cast age so horribly.  Not just the original cast, but cast that were part of my teenage and early adult years.

I don't know; I think it is like anything with longevity:  they can't keep doing the exact same thing over and over (it gets stale) but if they change, there will always be someone who says they "lost it".    Full disclosure, I watch every week, in it's entirety with my daughter, and we watched the first half or so of the Special.

And as I was watching, I realized... you had to be there.   Meaning, I totally get that what the first cast did was unprecedented in many ways, but honestly?  After the snippet of the "Chee-burger, chee-burger" skit, my daughter and I looked at each other and sort of said... o----kay.   I love Belushi and especially Ackroyd - hilarious, funny guys, but mostly for the stuff they did AFTER SNL.   Cut to later years, and I can listen to Phil Hartman all day long.   I love Daryl Hammond.   I STILL laugh out loud when Matt Foley (Motivational Speaker) says "Hey dad, is that Bill Frickin' Shakespeare????"    The Alec Baldwin (I know he's not a cast member) impression of Tony Bennett makes me laugh out loud every single time.  Taran Killam, Kate McKinnon and Keenan Thompson will be mentioned with the best of them when all is said and done.  But I found myself wondering - based ONLY on what they did on the show - how many of the original cast would make the show today?  Are they considered the "greats" because they were truly "great" or because they were the first, and every one after had to be a little better? 

The show always ebbs and flows when there is cast turnover.  How do you not lose Jason Sudeikis, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers and not have to take a breath and catch your feet?   

Calvin6s

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
The show always ebbs and flows when there is cast turnover.  How do you not lose Jason Sudeikis, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers and not have to take a breath and catch your feet?
Keenan Thompson is still there right?  He actually does better in SNL than outside of SNL.  His skits are some of my favorite when I catch it these days.

Speaking of Bill Hader, I wasn't an immediate fan.  I don't remember his first few shows, but I remember thinking "ugh ... this guy."  There are probably quite a few moments like that when there is a new cast before you figure out which ones have it and which ones don't.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

I don't agree, at all! She in NOT a good singer. Her technical skills are average at best

Miley Cyrus is actually talented as fuck. It's unfortunate that she puts her talent on the back burner and instead acts like a whore and is a terrible influence for this nation's youth.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
SIT DOWN KANYE!

Miley Cyrus is actually talented as fuck. It's unfortunate that she puts her talent on the back burner and instead acts like a whore and is a terrible influence for this nation's youth.

Agreed for the most part
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
The opening with Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake was fantastic.  Truly, two of the most talented people in entertainment today.

I think Jimmy was still hung over during his show last night, but his description of the afterparty was incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »

She is mediocre AT BEST!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
The opening with Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake was fantastic.  Truly, two of the most talented people in entertainment today.

I think Jimmy was still hung over during his show last night, but his description of the afterparty was incredible.
Best part of the show for sure