Author Topic: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - We Have A Winner!  (Read 22734 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 9 Listening
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »
:bump:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 9 Listening
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2015, 09:58:03 PM »
good timing - typing them up right now!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 7 Results
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
Round 9 results!  The first of two championship rounds.

kingshmegland: Presto Ballet - One Tragedy At A Time: I really liked the section with the shimmering guitar chords at around the 10 min mark.   It's a really good, well crafted song.  But It's not quite scratching my itch.  At times I feel like this may be a touch too psychedelic for me.  I think the main thing is overall I feel like I've been around the block a time or two with this style of progressive rock, and unfortunately it felt slightly stale for me (relatively speaking of course, since I have to judge it against other songs).
Score: 7.5

bl5150: The Poodles - Before I Die: The Poodles?  With a name like The Poodles, I wasn't quite sure how this was going to sound!  Nice thick/heavy production on the guitars.  I like the active keyboard/piano that drives the pace just underneath everything else during choruses.  For the second time around with the song, it sounded a lot more “epic” which helps for longer term listening.  Just picked up on those cool bass chords during the instrumental break between the solo and and last string of choruses.  Cool song.  High energy.
Score: 8.5

Bolsters: Circle of Illusion - New Age: It seems like I might have listened to a track or two from this album a while back when it was first mentioned here - but that was quite a while ago and I never got back to it for some reason.  Great riff during the intro!  Serious Flaming Row vibe when the vocals kick in.  Quite a variety of styles crammed into one song.  The ever-changing rhythmic patterns are really cool.  Makes for a fun listen!
Score: 8.5

One more round to go!  Cumulative high score for these two rounds determines the champ.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:00:31 AM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 7 Results
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:14 AM »
It's definitely the kind of album that requires several listens to begin appreciating. I wasn't impressed with it either at first, but eventually I warmed up to it and now it's one of my favourite releases from the last couple of years.

Final round submission is on its way.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Round 9 Results
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2015, 04:59:51 AM »
Sent
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2015, 06:00:23 AM »
Well, I need to up my game.  I'll check out the other guys songs when I get home.  I love seeing bands I've never heard of.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Final Round Listening
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
Results likely tomorrow!
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - Final Round Listening
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »
Final results!

kingshmegland: Echolyn - The End Is Beautiful: I like the way the song switches between a dreamy feel and a more in your face full on Gentle Giant/Yes extravaganza.   Strong vocal performance.  I feel like the main chorus is the weakest part of the song, so the fact that it gets repeated a few times drags it down slightly for me.
Finals Score: 7.5 + 8.0 = 15.5

Bolsters: Shineback - Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed: Pretty frantic opening, I really like the drum fills and rhythms at the start.  The “save yourself” section started off a little weird, but by the end it redeemed itself.  Very enjoyable song.  Loved that transition at about 2:30.
Finals Score: 8.5 + 9.0 = 17.5

bl5150: Beyond Twilight - Ecstasy Arise: Strong opening statement – including that scream.  They sure don't mind liberal usage of pinch harmonics do they?  Thunderous rhythm section in this song.  Pretty badass attitude and riffage throughout the song.  And I like the use of pinging the sound back and forth in stereo – cool effect that can be overdone, but it serves the music well here.  Knowing this is part of a larger story on the album makes me want to go out and buy the whole thing.  Great song that is one of the better ones this roulette.  Awesome vocals and killer music to match.
Finals Score: 8.5 + 9.5 = 18.0

So there you have it, bl5150 is the big wiener, I mean winner!

Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 2nd - We Have A Winner!
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
Not a surprising outcome, Brent has been one step ahead the whole roulette. Congrats! :tup

Thanks for having me and hosting Big Hath, and hope I managed to lighten your wallet a bit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
 Thanks Bolsters :hat   Well done to you too.

That's 2 in a row and I think I may now retire and go out on top  :lol

Actually...........

for Mr TAC soonish.  Time to start training up .

Thanks for a cool roulette big man (and everyone) - hope there's some new favourites in there amongst it all.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2015, 05:52:17 AM »
Congrats Brent!! :metal

Thanks for having me.  I had a blast and loved checking out bands I've never heard before!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
Thanks Bolsters :hat   Well done to you too.

That's 2 in a row and I think I may now retire and go out on top  :lol

Actually...........

for Mr TAC soonish.  Time to start training up .

Thanks for a cool roulette big man (and everyone) - hope there's some new favourites in there amongst it all.

I'd retire while you're ahead on top.

Kidding... congrats.  I'll just have to kick your ass and bring you back to reality in TAC's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
I thought we were going to work together to Winger-ise his ass but if you want to play it like that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »
I thought we were going to work together to Winger-ise his ass but if you want to play it like that.

Oh, it'll be Winger-iffic alright.  But for the most part ...

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:31 AM »

Hurry up TAC or this could get ugly :lol
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:37:00 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Thanks for having me and hosting Big Hath, and hope I managed to lighten your wallet a bit.

you wouldn't believe the list of albums I've already gotten, bands to check out, albums to buy, etc . . .
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »

Hurry up TAC or this could get ugly :lol

I haven't paid attention to this roulette. I should go through it. Looks like it was a good time.

And in my Roulette, sending Winger will result in an automatic disqualification.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
You're such a bitch Tim. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
And in my Roulette, sending Winger will result in an automatic disqualification.

Gonna be the shortest roulette ever, because in one round, we're all submitting Winger.

Sorry to hijack your thread Dave.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2015, 03:43:37 PM »

Gonna be the shortest roulette ever, because in one round, we're all submitting Winger.
Don't you have another sabbatical to go on? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »
Tim you bastard. :lol

I would die seeing Tim rate 8 Winger songs.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »

Sorry to hijack your thread Dave.

Please, for the love of all that is holy and pure, let this happen.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »

:emo:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »

Oh shit......

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin