Author Topic: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..  (Read 42810 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »
So I have hired a good number of people in the past and have also fired a handful and I never had an issue with it.

I don't know why I am freaking out about having to fire one of my employees. Have a meeting with him in a hour and unfortunately have to let him go due to performance and a number of incidents in the past few months. It could be because of his history with the organization (he has been here for a long time), or the combination of that and COVID/employment that is making it harder, knowing that I am (technically) screwing over this person. Maybe it's because he is the first employee I'm firing in over 3 years. I don't know what it is but I am anxious and wish I could avoid it. Hate this part of the job   :\
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
So I have hired a good number of people in the past and have also fired a handful and I never had an issue with it.

I don't know why I am freaking out about having to fire one of my employees. Have a meeting with him in a hour and unfortunately have to let him go due to performance and a number of incidents in the past few months. It could be because of his history with the organization (he has been here for a long time), or the combination of that and COVID/employment that is making it harder, knowing that I am (technically) screwing over this person. Maybe it's because he is the first employee I'm firing in over 3 years. I don't know what it is but I am anxious and wish I could avoid it. Hate this part of the job   :\

That sucks. Hope it goes okay, though. I feel like we're going to have to let go this kid that we hired just a few weeks ago. Wanted to get into the business but man he just shows no motivation and everyone has complained to me in private about how he just seems oblivious and completely unmotivated. Never had to fire anyone before but he could be the first and it's a weird feeling. But it's doubly weird since, you know, small town living and we know his father. oof
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »
Well, I just told my coworker he doesn't pay attention anymore and it's getting really frustrating.  I rotate days in with him, but he doesn't seem to do much on his days in making my days in twice as busy as it should be.  Not only that, but he consistently ignores everything I say, almost every email, and doesn't even look in our ticket queue (where work is assigned) to know what's going on.  I'm at the point where I need to start making noise with management (above my boss, because my boss ALWAYS has an excuse for him when I do bring it up).  I don't really know the best way to do that, but his work ethic makes me not want to even try at times.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

Your feelings are warranted.  It's no doubt a difficult thing to do.  The thing is though, if there has been multiple instances leading up to this to warrant this outcome, your hands are tied and it's his own fault.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
Bump!

So, some of you may recall I was bitching about my new college I think either in the irritating or depressed thread, I can't quite remember.  Basically this guy started a bit over a year ago and was a real arrogant prick.  Anyway, he resigned and is now gone.  He was atrocious at the job and couldn't cut it.  He never admitted he couldn't do it and was possibly the most arrogant fucker I'd ever met.  It was always everyone else's fault and things that fucked up were never his doing.

Basically though, I'm back to doing double the workload.  I was probably doing 75% anyway as staff were still dealing with me because he was such a dickhead and wouldn't help or communicate with them, but now it's all up to me.  That doesn't piss me off all that much since I've done it before but I told management, this time, I'm not doing it for next to nothing.  The boss sends an email on Friday only offering me 10% higher duties benefit.  He said there was no possible way they could offer anymore than that.  Yet, they are basically still saving 90% of the wage since there's no one in that position.  Like WTF?!  It's been a massive 2 and a half weeks and the care factor from them is absolute zero.

I've drafted an email to send back that I don't accept it, but I'm wondering if it's even fucking worth it.  I don't really want to go through all the shit that goes with it but it's just not fucking right.  >:( :censored

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2021, 02:35:09 AM »
Man that type of shit angers me. Been going through something similar at work. Lets share our anger  >:( :censored >:( :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2021, 04:29:06 AM »
Man that type of shit angers me. Been going through something similar at work. Lets share our anger  >:( :censored >:( :censored

That sucks mate.  What gets me is that the managers screwing us would never do anything without propper reimbursement.  Yet it's okay to fuck the little guys.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2021, 04:59:07 AM »
Kade,

Would it be more effective to have a face to face conversation rather than email? I can think of too many scenarios where your boss could be under pressure which is hard to get a read on without seeing his expression. For instance if you were to says something similar to, "Look, I'm not asking to make double salary, but you are spending half what you were previously. A 25% (or whatever you think) rise should be our beginning point." It would be very interesting to see his expression. You could probably quickly judge if he's nervous or just a greedy bastard.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2021, 05:20:26 AM »
You didn't ask, but I'll offer:  FACE TO FACE.  For me, this wouldn't even be a decision.   Make it hard on him to look you in the eye and explain the company's and his position on this.

Also, in the States, just bear in mind that the savings ISN'T 90%/10%; there are costs to employees that don't just disappear when they go (some of the taxes, the sunk costs of the employee so far though thankfully we're early in the year if your fiscal year is a calendar year, unemployment if he's eligible).   Still ask for your 25%, but make a commitment that you can do it without hiring a new person; they may not be right, but they MIGHT be looking at this like "I'm giving this Kade dude a permanent 10% raise for holding our nutsacks for a couple of weeks until we replace that dude that bailed".   Make the case why it's more than that.

And good luck!  If you're doing the job of two, you ought to be paid for it!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2021, 07:10:26 AM »
Oh look, Stads and I agree on something! :faint:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »
Thanks lads, face to face makes sense.  We don't deal face to face with anything really.  Our side is kind of left to our own devices (long story), but knowing this guys character, I'd definitely make him feel uncomfortable before the other way around.

I know it's not 90/10 also, was just generalising really.  The thing is though, I have done it in the past solo, and they know that.  I think 25% is acceptable from my part.  I'm not greedy but 10 is me getting screwed. I might offer in my email then a meeting to discuss.  Good idea.  Thanks for you thoughts Gregg and Bill.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
I don't know what it is but I am anxious and wish I could avoid it. Hate this part of the job   :\

I've been at my job 21 years this June and in that time I have hired and fired about 15 people altogether.  Right now I have 7 who report to me directly, not including a shared administrative assistant who works for me and two other Directors.  I feel you, man.  I have liked most of the people who worked for me and firing those people was soul-crushing, because I can just imagine what it would be like to get the axe myself, especially at 57 yrs old.  Getting rehired with my current salary requirements would be a journey I'm not interested in taking.  That said, the longest tenured person I've ever had to let go was the most recent one who had been with the company for 5 years.  I had to let him go because he was undermining my authority by talking shit about me to the other people who work for me, trying to drag them into his resentments.  Now I treat my employees like gold.  I *never* say "no" when they ask for time off, I always try to get them the best raises I can get them each year and I go to the fucking mat with them on anything, I always have their backs.  So, this dude was pretty surprised when after about a month of his shit-talking (and every single employee he shit-talked to about me came to me and told me about it) I let him go.  That's the ONLY guy I didn't mind letting go.  I gave him 2 warnings about talking shit about me to his peers.  When I gave him the second warning I old him "there will not be a third warning on this, next time this happens you are literally forcing me to let you go, so you decide what you want to do."  He did it again THAT AFTERNOON  :rollin   Fucking zipperhead  :lol

But honestly, even firing a complete fucking knob like that guy kind of made me feel shitty.  Although my entire team came to me and said, "WTF took so long?"  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2021, 05:43:12 PM »
Like the old saying goes, you can't fix stupid. :lol  Hard to feel sorry for a guy like that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »
It's been my experience that most people fire themselves.

Kade, the guys recommending a face to face are dead on. And you come need to come armed with facts.

You could always counter offer. My question is, are they planning on replacing the guy? If not, tell him you want a 50% increase, and you might end up with a 30% one.
If they are planning on replacing him, tell them you want 20% but might consider the 10% if:
1. You get an additional premium while they replace him and,
2. You keep the 10% when they do make a hire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2021, 06:17:51 PM »
My issue is, with the down season coming up and my main facility about to close down and get renovations for six months, come winter, things will be extremely quiet.  We have also opted not to replace him in the short term due to this.  Instead, giving a few key casuals more senior roles and responsibilities.  Keeps staff in work and give some opportunities to long time employees.  So I'm asking for more but we are asking holding off replacing.

It's a tricky situation and to be fair has been my own doing for a long time.  The more you do, the more that's expected and becomes a new norm.  Long story short, over the years, I've made a rod for my own back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »
2. You keep the 10% when they do make a hire.

I don't mind this at all mate to be honest.  Nice one.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2021, 10:19:18 PM »
Face to face!...

... although, 6 feet apart wearing masks kinda takes the wind out of the sails of being face-to-face.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »
He rang me this arvo for something unrelated and before he could bail on the phone I brought it up with him.  Was nice about it but explained my viewpoint.  Based on the award I'm under, there's not a lot of wriggle room and I understand that. I asked him if he could ask a few more questions and nicely try a bit harder as regardless of the logistics, it's not all that fair.  He said he understood where I was coming from but his hands are tied.  I get that but he said he'd ask a few others and investigate deeper to try and help.  I even said 20% would be substantial.

I know nothing can happen but whatever the outcome at least now I can escalate things higher or go to HR and put my case across and ask for assistance.  Never approached HR but might be a first for me.  I'm really expecting nothing to come of this truthfully but will keep trying.  I don't want to be an asshole but they have to try a bit harder as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not scared of going over his head if need be.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
My typical day is coming at 1:30pm to three co-workers who:

1. haven't done shit all day
2. Half completed tasks they attempted
3. Or screwed up tasks that they attempted

So my first 2+ hours is just cleaning up their mess and its extremely frustrating. Manager is either aware and doesn't care or is too dumb to notice. Probably the latter.  :P

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
I'm not scared of going over his head if need be.

I would tread very carefully here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2021, 01:06:50 PM »
I'm not scared of going over his head if need be.

I would tread very carefully here.

I know.  I'm kind of a big talker though, I probably won't.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »
What a shit show today. One employee called out. One went home early. The IT decided over the weekend to put all new security for everything.  Couldn't log on for 7 hours. Stayed 12 hour to at least type out the bol's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #302 on: March 08, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »
What a shit show today. One employee called out. One went home early. The IT decided over the weekend to put all new security for everything.  Couldn't log on for 7 hours. Stayed 12 hour to at least type out the bol's.

Oof, that sounds awful.  It has been a shit show everywhere in transportation for the last month due to the snow storms and power outages that have messed up everything.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: March 08, 2021, 07:06:57 PM »
That blows Joe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2021, 07:11:48 PM »
Rough day today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
Well, you're home now having a beer. I bet it feels good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2021, 06:42:21 AM »
Shared 1 beer. I was too tired to drink. Lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
I’m officially miserable from work. Working two jobs, seven days a week between both, with Fridays in particular being rough as I work an 8 hour shift for both (essentially making my work day 7:30am-midnight), I can’t handle this. I decided that I would save to buy the bass I want over the next few months so I at least feel like I’m working towards SOMETHING, but beyond that I don’t know if what I’m doing career-wise is in my best interest.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2021, 04:42:35 AM »
I’m officially miserable from work. Working two jobs, seven days a week between both, with Fridays in particular being rough as I work an 8 hour shift for both (essentially making my work day 7:30am-midnight), I can’t handle this. I decided that I would save to buy the bass I want over the next few months so I at least feel like I’m working towards SOMETHING, but beyond that I don’t know if what I’m doing career-wise is in my best interest.

I did 12 hour days 5 days a week then 8 hours both Sat and Sun for years.  Don't do it mate, you have to be mentally tough but it finally catches up with you.  It's not worth it mate.

I did it for years to try and earn as much money as possible, but you end up realising the money ain't worth it.  If it's just for a bass, then you probably don't need it right away so take your time saving for it mate.  Don't kill yourself for it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2021, 05:29:56 AM »
Wolfking is right. Money's not worth it. Through my long life I've found I've been much better off sane and with not much in my pockets than the other way 'round. If the kids have to go a few years putting whiskey on their Cheerios cause you can't afford milk, it won't kill them. It didn't mine, anyway. Besides, sacrifice builds character, right?

Sane and full pockets is pretty good though.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2021, 05:37:45 AM »

If there is a way for you to get out of that schedule, you should. If you can afford to leave one of the two jobs, do it. The only thing I can say is that you need to take care of yourself, physically and mentally.

My last job I left because it was very demanding (physically) and it was affecting me mentally. I started forgetting things (like frequently leaving my keys hanging on my front door!), I was always tired and unwilling to do much.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2021, 05:41:42 AM »
I started forgetting things (like frequently leaving my keys hanging on my front door!), I was always tired and unwilling to do much.

This sounds like you simply passed your 45th birthday. Congratulations.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2021, 06:31:28 AM »
I started forgetting things (like frequently leaving my keys hanging on my front door!), I was always tired and unwilling to do much.

This sounds like you simply passed your 45th birthday. Congratulations.

Well, I've been told that I'm an "old soul", and this was happening in my late 20s so sounds about right  :biggrin:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2021, 07:39:09 AM »
I just feel so disengaged from my work and disconnected from my peers these days. Being remote for over a year now has had a real negative effect on my mental health.

I feel like such a loser. Decent job in a very stable industry with good pay, excellent benefits, and reasonable hours. You'd think I could just pull it together, and put up a fake smile. But nope, I'm starting to lose that ability, and I know for sure that my negative attitude and comments are starting to be noticed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:28:26 PM by Skeever »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2021, 11:46:45 AM »
The work from home stuff really gets to me too.  I think this may be my last week rotating days with my coworker in the office. I'm getting vaccinated and I'm ready to go back full time. I also have a negative attitude in a good job stemming from being home so much. Looking forward to changing that soon.