Author Topic: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..  (Read 41571 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
I swear I am inches away from just throwing my hands up and walking away at work. ANOTHER full time worker... my Night Lead.... is quitting. He gave less than a week notice and will be out of here on the 27th. That in combination with the fact that I hired a complete piece of shit recently whom I need to fire (Literally was dropped off at work last night by his father and he walked away and went somewhere else)... I am sinking hard. I've got ads out on Craigslist and other job recruitment sites and am getting absolutely nothing.

My blood pressure can't take this place much longer.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Jay if you don't mind me asking how much do these positions people are quitting pay?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Jay if you don't mind me asking how much do these positions people are quitting pay?

$12/hr. Which used to be $2 over minimum... BUT minimum will be $12 as of Jan 1st.  The company is now starting at $12.50... but the base wage for those already here probably wont go up for a month or so. The big issue comes down to the contract with the client. There is always some... backlash whenever the company raises rates. This is the lowest billed property in the company. They make very little money off of it. I know they basically lose money from me (My wage is still 25% lower than it should be for my position).

Edit: Even at the $12.50, it's still 2 dollars less than the going wage for the industry here, and this account is a bit more... involved than most Security gigs.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: December 26, 2018, 05:14:56 PM »
So we renewed our ad on Craigslist. It spells out very clearly what the job is. (Literally titled "FULL TIME / PART TIME SECURITY OFFICERS NEEDED" and then goes into detail, even mentioning needing to be a State Licensed security guard...).

First response LITERALLY said "Are you guys hiring securitys?"

I want to respond, but I will behave.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
When they tell you that your health and your family always take priority and then make you feel like a deadbeat POS when you take a sick day or even an unpaid day to take care of your child.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
A person was just hired in my department that has made False sexual assault accusations in the past. She was being fired from one of the other sites for incompetence and decided to make some shit up on the way out. It turned into a huge mess.

She was only hired at my place because she is friends with the manager. So they allow a lazy, incompetent person with a bad attitude to be hired all because of nepotism. Really not happy about this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
So they allow a lazy, incompetent person with a bad attitude to be hired all because of nepotism. Really not happy about this.

Yup, that sucks. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
That kinda crap has been going on for decades.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »
We have a guy at work who literally belches at his desk every day - sometimes just a few times, sometimes 30-40 times a day.  It is usually a quieter one that is still audible, but occasionally he'll bust out one that comes off like he was trying to show off.  At what point would you mention this to anyone?  I usually just roll my eyes, but as an account manager, this guy sits close enough to me to where if I was on the phone with one of my customers and he belched, they'd probably hear it (since I use a headset for when I have to make calls). 

On a sidenote, how freaking disgusting and uncouth do you have to be to belch at your desk at work like you are at home in your recliner?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2019, 06:34:59 AM »
We have a guy at work who literally belches at his desk every day - sometimes just a few times, sometimes 30-40 times a day.  It is usually a quieter one that is still audible, but occasionally he'll bust out one that comes off like he was trying to show off.  At what point would you mention this to anyone?  I usually just roll my eyes, but as an account manager, this guy sits close enough to me to where if I was on the phone with one of my customers and he belched, they'd probably hear it (since I use a headset for when I have to make calls). 

I had a similar situation several years ago with an employee that sat close and would loudly swear, complain and cuss out clients after hanging up the phone.  I kept a list of things she would say, verbatim, and sent it to HR after it was plenty long enough with the explanation that I have had people comment on phone calls that they could hear her voice in general and it was only a matter of time until they heard her saying something very bad.  A year later, the behavior had come back, so I had to contact HR again, this time with an audio recording of a full-blown tantrum and this time apparently her job was threatened if she didn't shape up.  HR didn't like the fact that I made an audio recording in the office, but with no eyes or ears in our branch office, what was I supposed to do?  They needed to hear an example of the behavior.

Just be ready for any backlash.  I had this girl's close friends, unit coworkers and even her boss giving me nasty looks and talking about me for a year or two afterwards because they deduced that I reported her to HR....not really understanding that about 10 other people in multiple offices and third parties also complained about her.  I was just an easy target and thankfully people in the office and company respect me enough to know that I wasn't making up a bunch of bullshit to create drama.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2019, 08:01:57 AM »
So we renewed our ad on Craigslist. It spells out very clearly what the job is. (Literally titled "FULL TIME / PART TIME SECURITY OFFICERS NEEDED" and then goes into detail, even mentioning needing to be a State Licensed security guard...).

4 people were set up for interviews last week.  None showed up for the interviews.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »

4 people were set up for interviews last week.  None showed up for the interviews.

Sounds about right.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »

I had a similar situation several years ago with an employee that sat close and would loudly swear, complain and cuss out clients after hanging up the phone.  I kept a list of things she would say, verbatim, and sent it to HR after it was plenty long enough with the explanation that I have had people comment on phone calls that they could hear her voice in general and it was only a matter of time until they heard her saying something very bad.  A year later, the behavior had come back, so I had to contact HR again, this time with an audio recording of a full-blown tantrum and this time apparently her job was threatened if she didn't shape up.  HR didn't like the fact that I made an audio recording in the office, but with no eyes or ears in our branch office, what was I supposed to do?  They needed to hear an example of the behavior.

Just be ready for any backlash.  I had this girl's close friends, unit coworkers and even her boss giving me nasty looks and talking about me for a year or two afterwards because they deduced that I reported her to HR....not really understanding that about 10 other people in multiple offices and third parties also complained about her.  I was just an easy target and thankfully people in the office and company respect me enough to know that I wasn't making up a bunch of bullshit to create drama.

I understand all that. And I would go to my boss before HR, but I doubt it will ever even come to that. I will be surprised if this guy is still here in six months, so it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
*Disregard
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:24:02 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »
So we have medication machines that get refilled through out the day. When one of them stocks out, a sheet prints out that it needs to be refilled. We have a tech that gets off at 11pm and anything that prints out after 10:30pm he just throws out and then I get angry phone calls from nurses asking for meds that should have been refilled.

I am saving the evidence and building a case against him to give to the manager.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »
So we have medication machines that get refilled through out the day. When one of them stocks out, a sheet prints out that it needs to be refilled. We have a tech that gets off at 11pm and anything that prints out after 10:30pm he just throws out and then I get angry phone calls from nurses asking for meds that should have been refilled.

I am saving the evidence and building a case against him to give to the manager.

Is there another guy coming in after 11pm?  Like just throwing away your assignment is kind of ridiculous, seems like I'd be livid if I was the guy taking over his shift.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
Oh yeah, my bad. This is evening shift tech (2:30 to 11pm) screwing over the nightshift tech (10pm to 8am). So there's a little bit of overlap.

I can see when things stocked out on the computer, but its a whole separate screen and I'm usually dealing with the phone and orders. I noticed it after the fact and we found the stock out sheet in the trash around 11:10pm.

The last time he was confronted about a separate issue, he started crying and ran to the breakroom where the manager coddled him (A grown man btw) and scolded the pharmacist that called him out. This is what I work with on a daily basis  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
oh geeze  :lol

I actually told my boss that I think he needs to get some sleep today.  I don't think he liked it but he was being really aggressive in trying to get me to do something not only stupid, but unlikely to even work.... instead of just paying $27 bucks for a replacement part.  I was really wondering how much he was drinking too, because the conversation was just stupid and really made no sense.  He's in Singapore btw so hence why he should get sleep, it was I think midnight over there when we had this conversation today.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »
Oof.

One of the few people who I trusted my personal phone number to at work (resident), has given out to at least one person, who has called me on it at least once. Could be more, but I blocked the number in my phone.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
What if the gripe is at yourself?
Making mistakes at work happens but I always have a difficult time reconciling my own fuckups when called out.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
Its definitely not easy to deal with the fallout of your own mistake.  It's best to own up to it, assist in fixing and learn from the mistake.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
Has the issue of putting any kind of fish or seafood in the microwave been brought up yet?

Don't do it.  There's a special place in Hell for you if you do.  The end.

Being in healthcare it's safe to say about 75% of my coworkers are Asian and Asian=fish.  It's rough sometimes.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »
The politics are my job are getting outrageously insane. I can't go into details, but there are people in the HOA that hired us that... don't like my company for whatever reason, and people who do. Those people can't find center ground on a topic involving me, and I am stuck right in the middle. Getting shit on daily in emails, and then defended, and then shit on again.

Our contract almost ended in May... and they decided to extend it. It's up again in November... and I am back in the state of mind where I wouldn't mind too much if they didn't sign a new contact.

It's funny because I totally stepped things up when the contract was extended... to prove that we should be kept around, and people are shitting on us. Accusations against my team that are detailed enough to stir up an angry mob, but vague that I can't look into them or defend them. There's not much I can do but grin and bear it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Has the issue of putting any kind of fish or seafood in the microwave been brought up yet?

My previous employer banned popcorn from the microwaves. It happened more than once that someone would leave their popcorn in too long such that it would start smoking and set off the fire alarm.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »
Well it's a good thing I ended up coming back to the family business (me, my brother, my dad, and two other guys, one about 10 years older than me, the other a few years younger than me). The kid a few years younger than me spent the last year and a half being trained to become a bodyman and he got damn good at it to be honest. But he just put in his 2 weeks notice to go back to work for his uncle in construction even though he left to learn autobody repair because he hated construction... because his uncle is gonna pay him $21/hour, no health care though. Props to him for going for the money but, right now it's even busier than in the winter, which is usually the busy season. And in 3 weeks I'm leaving for Atlanta so that's another body down. It's gonna be a clusterfuck.  :facepalm:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Tell me about it, work is a huge clusterfuck as well in terms of bodies.  We are already short handed, having more data centers than people to work in them (our team is 5 people including my boss spread around the world with our 6 data centers) and my coworker in Amsterdam put in his notice, I have the entire month of September off, and somehow my boss still needs to go back to Singapore to finish building it.  I've been saying for 2 years now every time I see my boss, you need to hire someone because we are going to find our selves in a very bad situation if someone is out extended time (I have my sabbatical, company approved) and shit gets busy (building a new data center on the other side of the world = really fucking busy).  He really is a poor planner.

Offline max_security

« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
Tell me about it, work is a huge clusterfuck as well in terms of bodies.  We are already short handed, having more data centers than people to work in them (our team is 5 people including my boss spread around the world with our 6 data centers) and my coworker in Amsterdam put in his notice, I have the entire month of September off, and somehow my boss still needs to go back to Singapore to finish building it.  I've been saying for 2 years now every time I see my boss, you need to hire someone because we are going to find our selves in a very bad situation if someone is out extended time (I have my sabbatical, company approved) and shit gets busy (building a new data center on the other side of the world = really fucking busy).  He really is a poor planner.

My office is in Sterling , VA  , I'm not sure why but there are an extraordinary amount of large new data centers going up. The largest ones have signs that say " Cyrus 1 " or something like that. I figure if I'm ever out of work I could head over to the Liebert office and get hired on the spot.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
I'm guessing it's cheap real estate and has access to some data pipelines (maybe to DC?) and power.  That's why our main data center is where it is in NJ, close to NYC so access to lots of carriers to the internet and its cheaper space in that part of NJ.  I wouldn't be surprised if someday in the future we move down south though where it's probably much cheaper than NJ and those data pipelines won't matter as much as other hot spots build up carrier access.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »
Had a patient almost die today in a near miss.

We have a tech that is super lazy and careless. And when she does make mistakes, she get's a huge attitude when you tell her she has to make something again.

But anyway, she was supposed to make something called a Bumex IV drip today (it gets rid of excess water), but instead of using bumex vials somehow she used 10 vials of bupivacaine. 

If bupivacaine is given IV, then it causes cardiac arrest and death. Very luckily I caught it while checking it, but if I would have missed it then it would have definitely been given.

She took zero responsibility for it and complained that it was in the wrong bin...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
Jesus christ that's scary. My gf was an ER nurse for almost 10 years and she told me when she first started she handed someone an IV (or almost started an IV) of something that would've most likely killed the patient, luckily they caught her and she stays it still haunts her how easily she could've killed someone.

That's why I can't be in the medical field, if my team fucks up a banker doessn't get his pitchbook in time. Not the end of the world.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
I'd kill someone my first week if I worked in the medical field.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
That's why I can't be in the medical field, if my team fucks up a banker doessn't get his pitchbook in time. Not the end of the world.

Might lose your job if you take down a banker's tech from my experience  :lol

But yea, my job isn't life or death decisions which I like better for me, but that's scary how easily a mistake can mean a life in those jobs and much respect for the ones who not only do those jobs, but take the time to do it right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
I've realized my ideal job is any kind of job where I show up, don't speak to anybody except for maybe a few words here and there, and then leave after 8 hours. Preferably in a closed, dark room
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
I've realized my ideal job is any kind of job where I show up, don't speak to anybody except for maybe a few words here and there, and then leave after 8 hours. Preferably in a closed, dark room

20-30 years ago, that would have been a film/image development room lol Can't think of another job that fits those descriptions

Today my new boss started. I was the one that did all phone screening and in person interviews and now doing the onboarding. The only thing I didn't do was making an offer/negotiating.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
I guess what I'm saying is my ideal job is to be a dungeon troll in the depths of a trade ship's boiler room