Author Topic: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..  (Read 41579 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2021, 05:58:57 AM »
Jeez, I'm lucky over here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »
All this talk made me go look at my PTO.

I have 23 days of PTO this year and haven't used any, plus 2 floating holidays.   :metal I really need to start thinking about burning some time.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
All this talk made me go look at my PTO.

I have 23 days of PTO this year and haven't used any, plus 2 floating holidays.   :metal I really need to start thinking about burning some time.

I've always had two floater holidays at my company, but this year they took one of them away and made MLK day a company paid holiday instead. I think that day is very important and should be a holiday for sure, but I selfishly hated losing that floater. MLK day is on 1/17, and at that time of the year I'm still coming down off the 16+ days I had off at the end of December. Plus, there's not much to do at that time of the year, at least in New England. I would much rather have that floater because I'd usually break it up and use it to take two half day Fridays in the summer. Could go play a round of golf or BBQ. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
We got MLK day for the first time this year too, I had no idea until the Friday before.  I was happy.  But generally, I'd rather floaters than the holidays themselves for the freedom of choice.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
I have always thought it was very weird that even though I work at a company that's privately owned by a guy who is super-liberal and active in local liberal politics, we do not get MLK day off here. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #355 on: April 16, 2021, 08:13:28 AM »
The company I work for has us accrue PTO as we go, and we can rollover whatever we have, essentially. The trade off is that PTO encompasses voluntary time off, sick time, and holidays. We used to have extended illness time, but that went away a couple years ago in exchange for a few more PTO days a year (and not the same amount as what went away). The only thing I’m not too fond of is having holidays take from your PTO. Otherwise, I can’t complain.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2021, 06:28:19 AM »
I don't mind working hard.

I don't mind working long hours.

But I do mind working hard and working for long hours and weekends and still being told by my clients that I'm not working fast enough for their liking.

You can get it done quickly or you can get it done right, and I have enough experience in my field at this point to say that getting it done right is vastly more likely to result in better outcomes, so shut up and let me do my work.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #357 on: April 18, 2021, 09:55:50 AM »
Holy fuck.  Dude... where ya been?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
Holy fuck.  Dude... where ya been?

I dunno, doing stuff. Working my ass off. Eating burritos. I have a daughter now (2 years old).

Wassup?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
I read this story today and was horrified.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/west-hempstead-1-killed-2-wounded-in-a-grocery-shooting-on-long-island-police-say/ar-BB1fRyfS

Seems a Store Manager was killed in his office by a former employee.

I don't work for Stop & Shop, but I do work for a competitor of theirs. I spent 15+ years as a Store Manager. I have to say that there were MANY times after I fired or laid off an employee where I was generally concerned for my safety. My offices in the stores I worked in were basically oversized closets. If I was ever confronted, there was really nowhere for me to go.

I remember many times if I did have to let someone go, I pretty much avoided my office for the rest of the day and purposely stayed visible on the salesfloor. I'd arrange to have a Lost Prevention agent in my store, and accompany me to my car on occasion. And speaking of my car, on those days, I'd have the outdoor security camera squarely focused on my car.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »
I read this story today and was horrified.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/west-hempstead-1-killed-2-wounded-in-a-grocery-shooting-on-long-island-police-say/ar-BB1fRyfS

Seems a Store Manager was killed in his office by a former employee.

I don't work for Stop & Shop, but I do work for a competitor of theirs. I spent 15+ years as a Store Manager. I have to say that there were MANY times after I fired or laid off an employee where I was generally concerned for my safety. My offices in the stores I worked in were basically oversized closets. If I was ever confronted, there was really nowhere for me to go.

I remember many times if I did have to let someone go, I pretty much avoided my office for the rest of the day and purposely stayed visible on the salesfloor. I'd arrange to have a Lost Prevention agent in my store, and accompany me to my car on occasion. And speaking of my car, on those days, I'd have the outdoor security camera squarely focused on my car.

Got to make sure you catch the fucker leaving his cart near the car  :biggrin:

But seriously, I hear ya.  That store is near where my boss lives.  It's scary when this shit starts hitting a little close to home.  Either literally o  in the same type of business. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: April 20, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »

Got to make sure you catch the fucker leaving his cart near the car  :biggrin:

Hah! That would be self incriminating. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #362 on: April 20, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »
A few years ago, my agency had a client that got very angry at one of our insurance salesmen.  She reminded him that she "had guns."

That afternoon, we started locking the front door of our office and haven't stopped since.  It helps to know that people can't just walk into our office at random.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2023, 03:06:39 PM »
Anyone else have Co-workers that just sit around and do nothing, while you do ALL the work, and your manager either just ignores it or is so incompetent that they can't fix the problem?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2023, 03:13:26 PM »
Anyone else have Co-workers that just sit around and do nothing, while you do ALL the work, and your manager either just ignores it or is so incompetent that they can't fix the problem?

Been dealing with that for a few years now.  My coworker that I share an office with used to be really good at the job. Once his marriage took a shit, he basically comes in and does nothing.  I mean, I can see his laptop, he's not doing work and because he's best friends with my boss, he gets a pass.  And I can simpathize for the personal issue, but that divorce is very old news now, at some point you got to get back to working and it just hasn't happened for whatever reason.  It sucks because he's also the one in line for a promotion that he's not deserving of at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2023, 04:45:55 PM »

I think this is going to happen to some degree wherever you work, but I agree it's fucking annoying when these people blatantly take the piss and take advantage of you and your work. 

From my experience, you're always going to have employees that get great satisfaction out of their work and have a good work ethic, others are just there for the paycheck and don't give two fucks.  As a boss it's difficult because you can't change peoples habits and personalities that easily.  If you do, it takes time and a lot of effort also.  Sometimes you have to just try and utilise their strengths in the right areas if possible to make the culture work as best it can.  If that doesn't really work and they are causing problems, next step is to piss them off or cut their hours down.  Different story for a lot of you I know when they are full time. 

I don't think you're ever going to be able to get a team of people with entirely the same ethics and drive unless you go through a lot of hiring and letting go, and that's difficult and tiring.  A lot of bosses are tied by what they have available to them also.  These days for me anyway, sometimes your options are limited in who you have knocking on the door looking for work. I have a few staff members I'd like to piss off right now if I could, but in a casual workforce, it's hard and I need them, as average as they are.  That's the hardest thing from my point of view.

So while your boss may very well be incompetent and seemingly can't fix the problem, there may be more to it.  A lot of the time though you're right, people are put in these high positions that simply are out of their depth.  I'm seeing it right now with me, quite comical.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:18 PM »
In my current role, I don't supervise anyone. But I did it long enough. Where I work now is a fucking joke. The shit people get away with, and nobody does anything, is ridiculous.
I mean basic standards..dress code, not being on your phone, and just all around slacking off.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2023, 11:11:29 PM »
In my current role, I don't supervise anyone. But I did it long enough. Where I work now is a fucking joke. The shit people get away with, and nobody does anything, is ridiculous.
I mean basic standards..dress code, not being on your phone, not putting the carts back in the corral and just all around slacking off.

Just fixed that up for you mate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: January 06, 2023, 06:09:03 AM »
I mean basic standards..dress code, not being on your phone, and just all around slacking off.

Regarding the phone thing, I remember having a conversation years ago with my boss, who now just accepts that it is the way it is.  People are going to spend a lot of time on their phones doing whatever, but as long as people get their work done, he doesn't care.  He is not a micromanager who would ever chastise anyone for standing around talking and shooting the shit.  As long as you get your work done by the end of the day, you are good, and if you don't, he will know it and steps will be taken sooner rather than later.

Long story short, fighting against the new culture of people being addicted to their smart phones is a losing battle.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #369 on: January 06, 2023, 06:17:25 AM »
In some ways, it's just that everything gets concentrated onto the phone.

When's the last time you saw someone bring a book, newspaper, magazine, etc., to their desk job?
When's the last time you saw someone playing a radio quietly at their cube?
Now, even seeing someone browse personal sites from their work PC is an increasingly rare thing.

This all used to be a common sight. Now it's all just concentrated on someone's personal device. Managers care, first and foremost, that you show up and do your job.
Being at your desk on your phone or on the forums while doing your job is preferable to them than you slacking off in someone other way - at least in this scenario, you're there, under their thumb, ready to be utilized at a moment's notice.

Any issues that a manager has with a phone user who is doing their job is just related to optics, i.e., "I don't care that TAC is on his phone, but he's doing it so much it might be making other departments think we don't have enough to do!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #370 on: January 06, 2023, 06:28:44 AM »

Regarding the phone thing, I remember having a conversation years ago with my boss, who now just accepts that it is the way it is.  People are going to spend a lot of time on their phones doing whatever, but as long as people get their work done, he doesn't care.  He is not a micromanager who would ever chastise anyone for standing around talking and shooting the shit.  As long as you get your work done by the end of the day, you are good, and if you don't, he will know it and steps will be taken sooner rather than later.

Long story short, fighting against the new culture of people being addicted to their smart phones is a losing battle.

Well, if it's a desk or office job, something task based, that's one thing.

My cell phone speech went something like this:
I understand if you have to take a call. We all have wives and kids. I know my wife will certainly call me during the day. The only thing I ask is that you use your phone OUT OF VIEW of the customer, and NEVER on the salesfloor. If I walk into your backroom and you're on your phone, I'll keep walking, unless of course every time I walk into your back room and you're on your phone.

The thing is, you cannot let your standards fall. Cashiers cannot be texting between customers, or even worse, while they're ringing up an order. I get with the lack of help, managers are stuck having to make concessions on some things, but a company's customer facing standards should not be one of them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 06, 2023, 07:55:35 AM »

This.  People are going to be on their phones.  Accept it or you won't have employees.  Granted, I get what Tim is saying and mostly agree.  You shouldn't be on your phone in front of customers, but also, if there's no customers there, just because you are on the floor, I'm not sure I see the issue.  Of course assuming you are otherwise getting your job done.  I think it just mostly comes down to that in the end, be a good worker first and have the freedom to use your phone appropriately.

I do enjoy working mostly alone for this reason, I can sit on DTF all day long sometimes. I get my work done, no one cares.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #372 on: January 06, 2023, 08:24:50 AM »
Slightly on a tangent from Phoenix's post, but I came to the realization long ago I'm paid to deliver a result, not how many hours I'm performing tasks.  I realize that this is a luxury that not all people have.  "Slacking" is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.  Now, tangibly doing nothing (or next to nothing) is a different story - because presumably that also would impact the output they produce (whatever that output is).

I never made my kids do their homework for X number of hours - if they got an A, then they studied/worked hard enough - whether 10 minutes, or 10 hours.  I take the same approach with work.  If I can meet my job / bosses expectations in 30 hours a week, or if it takes me 60, so be it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2023, 09:46:35 AM »
I have a direct report who is abusing our sick time policies. She apparently is telling her coworkers that she's going to call in sick the next day and then does. Last week for three days in a row. I don't know why she doesn't just put in for PTO if it is planned. I would virtually always approve it. We technically have an attendance point system that results in disciplinary action once you get to a certain number of points. I made it clear to my team that I value flexibility and wasn't going to be a stickler on the points, but now I feel like I have to be with this woman. I plan to go back and add up her points on Monday and see where she sits. I don't want to have a talk with her about how important it is to actually show up to work or plan her time off at least 24 hours in advance to help with planning the team's day, but apparently this is a conversation she's needed to have with her past supervisor. Ugh... why can't people just have a decent work ethic and be conscientious of their coworkers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2023, 01:57:25 PM »
Arwe there warnings in her file from her past supervisor? Might be time to give her one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2023, 03:48:35 PM »
Arwe there warnings in her file from her past supervisor? Might be time to give her one.

Yeah, fuck that shit of telling people the day before they are calling in sick.  That's the ultimate piss take.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2023, 09:15:30 AM »
I'm not sure that they ever got to the formal warning stage. It was more of a "you have this many points and are getting close to where I need to give you a formal warning." and then she shapes up for a while.

Yeah, fuck that shit of telling people the day before they are calling in sick.  That's the ultimate piss take.
What I don't get is why she doesn't put in a PTO request if she knows she's not going to be in? Make no sense at all to me. Calling in sick frequently looks way worse than putting in short notice PTO requests.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »

What I don't get is why she doesn't put in a PTO request if she knows she's not going to be in? Make no sense at all to me. Calling in sick frequently looks way worse than putting in short notice PTO requests.

I guess it depends on the job though.  For me, I get 10 sick days but I'm encouraged to use them all and not entirely use them for illness.  Telling someone I'm going to use a sick day tomorrow is not uncommon here.  It's basically the same as PTO, but you can't roll it over or get paid out for it if you leave.  But I understand most jobs aren't like this, none of my previous jobs were.  If sick time is truly meant for illness, then you can't predict that (unless you are already feeling shitty at work and feel you'll be worse and need to be home tomorrow) so I otherwise agree that it shouldn't be used.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: January 09, 2023, 09:20:14 AM »
Is the sick time a separate bucket from PTO?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #379 on: January 09, 2023, 09:22:10 AM »
No. Our PTO is all in one bucket. But we do have "planned PTO" and "unplanned PTO". You get attendance points for unplanned PTO, but not for planned PTO. Planned is technically requesting it more than 24 hours in advance, but I've never really cared as long as it was the day before.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: January 09, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
No. Our PTO is all in one bucket. But we do have "planned PTO" and "unplanned PTO". You get attendance points for unplanned PTO, but not for planned PTO. Planned is technically requesting it more than 24 hours in advance, but I've never really cared as long as it was the day before.

Interesting. So if you’re actually sick and use unplanned PTO, then you get attendance points?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 09, 2023, 09:30:30 AM »

For me it is

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #382 on: January 09, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »

Interesting. So if you’re actually sick and use unplanned PTO, then you get attendance points?
Yes. Basically it's meant to discourage people from calling in sick when they're really not (which is what my person is doing). You get 1/2 a point whenever you take unplanned PTO. But you max out at 1 point per illness if you have a note from a doctor confirming you were actually sick, so you can be out for 5 days and get 1 point instead of 2.5.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2023, 05:14:27 PM »
PTO is the same as sick days where I work, but I don't stress days off and whatnot.  My boss is really good about stuff. I had to leave three weeks ago for a few hours to visit the hospital when my aunt was on the verge of passing and then had to the same last Tuesday for my uncle days later.  In both cases, I was out of the office for 3-4 hours in the middle of the work day and he never said anything about me having to take any PTO or anything.  He is really good about that kind of stuff, but to throw out a humble brag :P, I am sure he knows I am not someone who would take advantage of it.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #384 on: January 09, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »
Separate buckets for us. We had one guy who would abuse it by scheduling a vacation and then calling out sick the day or two before or after his planned vacation. Once or twice would have been believable, but it happened more often than it didn't. That used to piss me off.
Photobucket sucks.