Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 14781 times)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
Awesomesauce man.  What a great time that must've been.
if I want ice cream or a chocolate or a cake, I fucking have it
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Yes, it was a very satisfying tournament and a very deserving champion. For a while, early in the round, it looked like Koepka was going to catch him quick, but what a performance by Woodland! Great nerve.

The action, and the players are a ton, A TON, easier to follow on television and the internet. But being there has its charm and the course becomes the most compelling character! We walked the entire course twice on Thursday and put about twenty miles on our sneakers. I've always thought I'd like to play Pebble Beach but after walking that monster, I'm not so sure. Not only is the track tough, but the scenery and condition of the course is distracting.  :)

Because we were staying about a block from the front gate, we were at the course very early both days. Thus, we were able to watch most of our favorites tee off at least once in relative calm. But by 10 o'clock it was a total cluster fuck. You didn't want to be anywhere near where Tiger was playing. I knew his celebrity transcended the sport but I've never seen it in action before. It was actually a bit scary and disappointing...in a I can't believe I'm the same species kind of way. The FOX coverage just added to the frenzy with the way they would add extra boom cameras and, well...everything, when he came by.

We had a great time and I would definitely go again. We're actually considering the Open Championship at St. Andrews. If I had any advise for potential tournament goers...

1) Stay as close to the venue as you can.
2) Go as early as you can.
3) Spend the extra money for passes to one of the hospitality venues. Go there around 11:00 am. Stay there until around 2:00 pm (you can watch the action from there). Head back out on the course for the remainder of the day.
4) If you want a seat in a prime location bleacher (like #7, #17, and #18 at Pebble) either go early or go late...and never, ever try to get into a bleacher if it is an hour prior to Tiger coming by. [edit] In fact, just after he leaves a hole is a great time to get into the bleacher. [/edit]

Nice and interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
Awesomesauce man.  What a great time that must've been.

It was, but you would have been disappointed with the quality of the Scotch...I know I was. Dewars. :puke:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
I like to think of that as DON'T-ars
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
I fucking hate, hate, Jimmy Roberts! His interview questions are so inane he's like Jim Nance squared. I'm really missing Amanda Balionis this week.

Quite the charge by Lowry today!  :omg:

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
I fucking hate, hate, Jimmy Roberts! His interview questions are so inane he's like Jim Nance squared. I'm really missing Amanda Balionis this week.

Amanda Balionis is definitely bringing the hot  :o. When Faldo left the booth yesterday and was replaced by Paul Azinger, I started cussing out loud. "Great, two straight majors ruined by this jackass."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »

Amanda Balionis is definitely bringing the hot  :o. When Faldo left the booth yesterday and was replaced by Paul Azinger, I started cussing out loud. "Great, two straight majors ruined by this jackass."

For me, it's not that she's hot (which she is in an athletic way) but that she knows the players and tends to talk about their games and relevant questions about their rounds.

I agree about Azinger. They need to find someone else... but Faldo is so good that by comparison that's a tough gig.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »

For me, it's not that she's hot (which she is in an athletic way) but that she knows the players and tends to talk about their games and relevant questions about their rounds.

I agree about Azinger. They need to find someone else... but Faldo is so good that by comparison that's a tough gig.

Man, why you gotta take the hot chick and make it about her intelligence lol. You're absolutely right, which is good cuz nobody wants to just see a talking head. Unfortunately, she's a better speaker than a lot of the players are. "Uh, yeah, it was a good round. Yeah, I struck it well today."   :facepalm:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Any predictions for tomorrow, Sylvan?

I can't shake the feeling that Justin Rose might have something special in store for the weekend. The way he's putting, man, if he could hit more greens in regulation!

Hard to bet against Koepke though. If he puts up a number early, folks are going to start sweating big time.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
I think we're contractually obligated to mention Koepka at this point lol. With the weather always a question mark, and the finish proving to be a difficult one, I feel like anyone under par at this point is still in it. I'm a big DJ fan, and he gave himself good looks at birdies all day. I'm looking for him to get some more putts to fall tomorrow.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
Ireland, some time in the distant future...

"Sit down kids, and let me tell you the story of Shane Lowry."

This dude will never have to pay for a drink in Ireland for the rest of his life.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Spare a thought for JB Holmes. Leading the tournament after round 2, joint-third at the start of today on -10. Has six bogeys, four double bogeys and a triple bogey, a 16-over-par round of 87 to finish on +6.
*smash cut to a bleached white skeleton*

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
I don't remember them really showing his play once it went sideways, so I'm not entirely sure how he racked up the strokes. The weather was rough, and I don't believe he would just choke. He hasn't been super happy with his game this season, and maybe the weather and situation were enough to get into his head and maybe change his mechanics and cause him to make poor choices.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »
Spare a thought for JB Holmes. Leading the tournament after round 2, joint-third at the start of today on -10. Has six bogeys, four double bogeys and a triple bogey, a 16-over-par round of 87 to finish on +6.

Ouch... that's almost as bad as Van de Velde.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
Does Koepke make it difficult to be a fan?

Watching the BMW this past week, while Medina was in the most getable condition of its history (the course record was bettered twice this weekend), I was disappointed to see Brooks (appear) to be phoning it in. Intellectually, I know that's not the case, but his outward lack of intensity on the course coupled with some of the comments he's made this year (being bored on the course, not practicing, not doing prep work for non-major tournaments, etc.) give the appearance he's only there to win if it comes easy. As a fan and a high handicap hacker, I find it difficult to admire him. I admire his talent and accomplishments not him the person.

I'll be pulling for Finau or JT at East Lake.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Watching the BMW this past week, while Medina was in the most getable condition of its history (the course record was bettered twice this weekend), I was disappointed to see Brooks (appear) to be phoning it in. Intellectually, I know that's not the case, but his outward lack of intensity on the course coupled with some of the comments he's made this year (being bored on the course, not practicing, not doing prep work for non-major tournaments, etc.) give the appearance he's only there to win if it comes easy. As a fan and a high handicap hacker, I find it difficult to admire him. I admire his talent and accomplishments not him the person.

I take a bunch of crap from my buddies because I've refused to jump on the Koepka train....for many of the reasons you've pointed out. I can't recall exactly 'when' it was....but I know it was after his first major....I watched an interview he gave and his demeanor....answers....the over all 'vibe' turned me off towards him and I've never shook it.

Great talent. But for me I just can't get behind the guy. And, time will tell....but I think he falls off like the rest of them have as far as how long he remains a consistent threat. If yet another example of just HOW dominant Tiger was is the fact that for over 10 straight years he could and did win at an alarming pace. There are guys like Koepka and Co. who can and will do it for two, three...maybe four years....but they all tail off and just become 'another' golfer. Look at Rory as an example.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »
It's odd, isn't it Gary? I get the impression that much of the reason he's been so successful in big moments these past three years is largely because he's so calm. I don't know, fandom is a hard thing to quantify. He is who he is, and there's something admirable about him being so comfortable with himself, but I find it off-putting.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
It's odd, isn't it Gary? I get the impression that much of the reason he's been so successful in big moments these past three years is largely because he's so calm. I don't know, fandom is a hard thing to quantify. He is who he is, and there's something admirable about him being so comfortable with himself, but I find it off-putting.

Yeah. It's weird how seemingly the same traits between he and Tiger can make me root for Tiger no matter what he does to completely turn me off to Koepka??

I mean, by every account I've read...Tiger really isn't or should I say wasn't that nice of a person during the prime of his dominance. The stories I've read were that he was just outright entitled and a real dick. But, at the time I didn't care because of 'how' freaking good he was and the level of dominance he had was just awesome to watch. I think what's cool about his 'comeback' is that it appears he's made great strides as a person as well to better himself which makes him even more like able.

Koepka seems to have that same level of arrogance going on that Tiger had but the difference is how it comes off I guess?? Tiger's was kept hidden whereas Koepka seems to be unapologetic about it. I don't know.....it's tough to explain why I can't like the guy. Maybe he's the nicest guy in the world  :lol  I just am more drawn to others

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
Rain delays suck.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
Koepka seems to have that same level of arrogance going on that Tiger had but the difference is how it comes off I guess?? Tiger's was kept hidden whereas Koepka seems to be unapologetic about it. I don't know.....it's tough to explain why I can't like the guy.

C'mon Gary, how could you not like this?!

But seriously, interesting bit from the ESPN article:

There is a lot of meaningless filler in the weekly ebb and flow of sports. It's not polite to point this out, primarily because it feels disrespectful to the thousands of consumers who devote considerable time and money to following every season, but the rising and receding emotional tides of sports are actually essential to the health of the product. The idea that the great athletes are the ones who give 100% effort 100% of the time is a slogan fit for an inspirational poster, but it is not the real way of the world.

This is why golfer Brooks Koepka might be the most honest athlete of 2019. Koepka is great when he needs to be. He is indifferent when competing in events of specious importance. ("Regular tournaments, I don't practice," he has said. "If you've seen me on TV, that's when I play golf.") Whether or not this is as admirable as the attitude Tiger Woods took in his prime -- grinding over every shot in every tournament like the fate of the universe hung in the balance -- Koepka's candor about his strategic approach has been strangely refreshing.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'