Author Topic: Kanye West smh  (Read 30786 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Kanye West smh
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
Since there idoesn't appear to be a Grammy thread (I could start one, but meh), I just wanted to offer that I'm appalled that Tenacious D won best metal performance.  That was a complete abortion of a classic Dio tune.  With a f*cking recorder solo, to boot.
I did see that. The idea that they gave an award to a parody group speaks volumes about how much meaning to place on the award at all.

Yep and this gem :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrG6xBW5Wk&spfreload=10
If you were try and create appeal for Beck amongst Steven Wilson-inclined DTFers, Sea Change would be the way.

Plus, of all the music of his I've heard (Mellow Gold, Odelay, Midnite Vultures, Sea Change, Modern Guilt, and the odd song off Guero and his latest), nothing touches this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTl5iUF6FY

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
Tenacious D are fucking shit.

FUCKING. SHIT.

It was absolutely terrible Dio cover:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRZQpTmEBoQ

Now, consider that they won over Mastodon, Motorhead, Slipknot, and Anthrax.  Anthrax's nomination was for their cover of Sabbath's Neon Knights, from the same Dio tribute album as TD's offering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp77usK-B0A

THAT is how you cover a Dio tune.  Absolutely freakin' awesome.

I did see that. The idea that they gave an award to a parody group speaks volumes about how much meaning to place on the award at all.

Yep, it's almost like this was done on purpose, as a snub to metal fans.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
I was a fan of Ronnie Rising by Metallica. Thought James sounded great on that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 09:25:28 AM »
Since there idoesn't appear to be a Grammy thread (I could start one, but meh), I just wanted to offer that I'm appalled that Tenacious D won best metal performance.  That was a complete abortion of a classic Dio tune.  With a f*cking recorder solo, to boot.

I hadn't listened to it now, and it's typical Jack Black doing a impersonation of a metal singer in a way lower key. One of my favourite Dio tunes too, but for this to win is a joke.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
A RECORDER SOLO!!!  F*ck you, Tenacious D.  In the ear.  Long and hard.

Also:

EDIT:
I was a fan of Ronnie Rising by Metallica. Thought James sounded great on that.

I should check this album out.  From the track listing it sounds like a fantastic lineup, aside from TD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »
I'm listening to the Anthrax cover of Neon Knights right now. Really good, and much better than the Tenacious D crap. Not that I'd give the award to a cover song either way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
Right, it seems like an original is maybe more deserving, but yeah, cover or not, Anthrax was easily way more deserving.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
No cover should get nominated for best anything, much less win.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »

Agreed.  I feel like with all of the great musical talent in metal, it should NOT be hard to find someone more suitable of getting the award.  It's like someone in the academy just doesn't give a shit.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »
Agreed.  I feel like with all of the great musical talent in any genre, it should NOT be hard to find someone more suitable of getting the award.  It's like someone in the academy just doesn't give a shit.

FTFM.

That sums up the Grammy Awards ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:09:33 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
At the end of it all, what the f' should we care whether or not rock/metal gets the recognition from the Grammys? 

Offline 425

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Am I the only one who just generally assumes that Kanye's whole schtick is an act? It just seems to function all too well as an image for him. In my unprofessional opinion, getting a reputation for having a huge ego boosted his name recognition and popularity.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
For his sake, I hope it's an act.

If that is for real, he could probably use an ass-whipping.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »
If i was Beck I'd just be super nice about the whole thing.

A. It makes Kanye look even worse.

B. I'd know that I'm the superior musician.

;D

If you watch the clip, after Kanye fakes rushing the stage and turns back around, Beck actually gestures for Kanye to come on up.  He's got this look on his face that says "Hey man, no really, come up here!"

Beck either thinks so quickly that he can respond to Kanye in exactly the right way to make himself look quite gracious and classy, or he really is quite gracious and classy.  I'm not a huge Beck fan, but from what I've read, he seems like a nice guy, very humble, so I think his reaction was genuine.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
Agreed, he looked like he really (surprisingly) DID want Kanye to join him.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
You could see a grin on Kanye's face for a second, looked like he was totally just messing around.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
Right, I noticed that immediately, when it happened.  Bonus - if you watch, you can even see Prince chuckling in the background.  If you can get Prince to laugh, then it was funny.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Slipknot should have won the metal thing.

And that E-Pro song by Beck is pretty awesome, I don't hear it too often and keep forgetting about it, but whenever it comes on somewhere, I truly enjoy it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
If Kanye had left it at that, I would've thought it was awesome.  He made a joke about how he was gonna rant about someone beating his beloved Beyoncé again, but was just messing around.  It's his comments afterwards that ruin it for me.  Raving about artistry and unfairness and basically implying that Beck didn't deserve to win because Beyoncé, Beyoncé, Beyoncé, Beyoncé, Beyoncé.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »
And frankly, I thought that Beyonce WOULD win.  That album was pretty awesome, and hey, she's Beyonce.

But once you get to the four or five nominees, they are all deserving to win.  And Beck won.  So good for him.

Offline 425

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
Maybe this is the group of people to answer my question. I keep asking this to various people and have never really gotten a satisfactory answer:

Why is Beyoncé hailed in popular culture as some kind of superhuman being? There just seems to be this running attitude that everything Beyoncé does is perfect and that she is the one role model, who everyone should aspire to be just like. I understand liking or even obsessing over a popular musician, but I don't get the hyperbolic attitude that is, on a cultural scale, directed specifically towards Beyoncé.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »
I guess every music community needs its "Kanye West is literally Hitler" circlejerk thread.

Personally, I would never compare Kanye with Hitler.  I think Hitler was a much more talented artist with his paintings than what Kanye is with his music.  And at least Hitler had enough sense to never have a child and name them after a compass direction. ;)

Although if Hitler was alive today his ego and narcissism would land him on a reality show.  And possibly wed a Kardashian....

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
Agreed, he looked like he really (surprisingly) DID want Kanye to join him.

Beck himself said he loves Kanye West music, which isn't surprising at all.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2015, 02:11:53 PM »
I guess every music community needs its "Kanye West is literally Hitler" circlejerk thread.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
I chuckled my ass off, on one of the only moments I was watching the circus show farce they call the Grammys.  When Beck was on stage for his album of the year award, Kanye gets up and heads up on stage like he's gonna commandeer the mic, then makes like "nah, I'm just fuckin' with you" and goes and sits back down, making fun of the time he did it to Taylor Swift.  I thought it was pretty damned funny.  Now the Beyonce commentary?  Meh.  Kanye being Kanye.

Yeah, this  :lol   I wasn't watching the show when it aired.  I'm more interested in things that are more fun, like cutting my toenails.  But when I saw what he did I have to admit I LOL'd pretty hard.  The best part is the look on Beck's face when he thinks Kanye is going to do what he did to Taylor Swift.    :rollin

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »
Word

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
Maybe this is the group of people to answer my question. I keep asking this to various people and have never really gotten a satisfactory answer:

Why is Beyoncé hailed in popular culture as some kind of superhuman being? There just seems to be this running attitude that everything Beyoncé does is perfect and that she is the one role model, who everyone should aspire to be just like. I understand liking or even obsessing over a popular musician, but I don't get the hyperbolic attitude that is, on a cultural scale, directed specifically towards Beyoncé.
Not sure I see it to the level you apparently do, but she is basically just really awesome at what she does, and does it with a shit-ton of hard work, and balances family life on top of it.  She works very hard to have it all, career and family, at the highest level, and she's hot.  So, she's the total package.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
My eyes like her too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
Is it wrong that there are more Kanye defenders on Dream Theater Forums than Mike Portnoy defenders?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »
That single lady song is still one of the worst songs to ever exist.

How was Taylor Swift not nominated for Album of the year? A time when she should have actual been nominated and won and she wasn't.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
Not sure I see it to the level you apparently do, but she is basically just really awesome at what she does, and does it with a shit-ton of hard work, and balances family life on top of it.  She works very hard to have it all, career and family, at the highest level, and she's hot.  So, she's the total package.

While you are not wrong, I wouldn’t get too deep in to the “balances family life…” It’s not like she is a single mom working a double shift at the Burger King to support her kids that their deadbeat dad ran out on.

You can also add that she manages to stay away from controversy and bad PR in an industry where that can be common.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »
I haven't liked any of her songs solo.  She has a great voice but most of her songs miss melody and for some reason her her staccato singing turns me off.  Kanye on the other hand.  Everything about him turns me away from anything he does. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »

I have to imagine that I'm significantly younger than you are (I'm 18), and it's probably a bigger thing with my demographic. I understand admiring her, definitely. There just seem to be some who take that admiration to an irrational, almost cult-like level. Ah well.

How was Taylor Swift not nominated for Album of the year? A time when she should have actual been nominated and won and she wasn't.

Agreed, Taylor Swift's album was really good. I've been spinning it quite a bit lately. I also think my personal album of the year, Coldplay's Ghost Stories, should have been nominated for album of the year, but at least that was nominated for pop vocal album of the year, while 1989 got nothing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
I think release date have to do something with Swift not being nominated for anything this year.  Her album came out in November?, I believe and the Grammys have a cut off date.  If she didn't get nominated for anything this year, she will next year.

Offline 425

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
Yeah, you're right, it actually does seem that she missed the cutoff date, which is September 30th. That makes sense.
And if spirit's a sign,