News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Kanye West smh

Started by Calvin6s, February 09, 2015, 08:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orbert

Quote from: Big Hath on February 13, 2015, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: Orbert on February 13, 2015, 07:19:32 AM
I think Kanye is a dick, but I don't know anything about his music.  If I've ever heard anything by him, I never knew it.

I thought this was very lyrical.  You are a poet my good man.

I have artistic integrity.  The rest is easy.

FracturedMirror

Someone posted this on FB.  I thought it was funny.  :D

Calvin6s

bl5150

Quote from: Orbert on February 13, 2015, 02:18:01 PM

I have artistic integrity.  The rest is easy.

Artistry man , artistry.  ;)

jonnybaxy

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on February 13, 2015, 06:01:06 AM
Quote from: jonnybaxy on February 13, 2015, 05:59:30 AM
I think Kanye is a dick and his music sucks...
I couldn't even mention a song by Taylor Swift
I only know single ladies by Beyonce... and that was shit
I agree Tenacious D suck dick.
I know a few beck songs and he's pretty good so hats off to him.

That's about all I can contribute to this....
Well, you certainly contributed a lot to the negativity ratio of the thread.

Glad to help  ;)

Quote from: kingshmegland on February 13, 2015, 09:56:18 AM
So jonnybaxy is DTF's Kanye.

Meh, it'll do as a sig for now  :rollin

Orbert

PuffyPat

Kanye is a jackass, but his music is amazing.
Taylor Swift's most recent record '1989' is actually really good.
Beyonce is Queen.
Tenacious D are wonderful, and I love them.
Beck is a fantastic musician, songwriter, producer, and just all around good guy.

Outcrier

Quote from: PuffyPat on February 13, 2015, 08:26:31 PM
Kanye is a jackass, but his music is amazing.
Beck is a fantastic musician, songwriter, producer, and just all around good guy.

:tup

sneakyblueberry

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

ErHaO

I always thought Kanye is well respected as a musician. I sure am not fond of his music, but I can say that about nearly everything in that genre. He seems like a jackass in person, but that is not something unique to big celebrities as far as I know. It does make for some entertaining moments, though  :lol

Regarding Tenacious D. Cool band (own and love all their releases), solid cover. But a parody band performing a cover winning the genre Grammy for one of my favourite types of music does sting a bit, to be honest. But yeah, popularity contest and all. I hope this at least leads to the D making more material.

Kotowboy

Does Kanye actually play anything ? Or does he have a team of producers / "writers" to do everything for him ?

ErHaO

Good point  :lol Probably not. But at least the music that has his name slapped on it seems well respected.

KevShmev

His list of outside writers he has used over the years is nearly as long as the list of hot women Scott Baio has bedded.

Kotowboy

Ok I have no idea who that is so it's either none or loads.

King Postwhore

Kev, a great wasted joke on the younger generation too lazy to Google. Oh the irony.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

KevShmev

Kotowboy

We could probably Google everything we talk about on here.

It's called a discussion board.

But that's cool.

King Postwhore

It's a joke on society today and how old we are.  A double whammy sir.  :lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Zook

The guy from Charles in Charge. I had to look it up, but then was like, oh that guy. He was on Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi too.

Fun fact: I always mixed up Charles in Charge and Who's the Boss?

Taylor Swift's most recent record '1989' is actually really good.

1989 is really good. Taylor Swift's first three records are really good too, if you can accept the fact that the music is country-ish. I haven't heard her fourth album, Red, yet, but she's a really good songwriter.

King Postwhore

PuffyPat

Quote from: Kotowboy on February 14, 2015, 03:28:44 AM
Or does he have a team of producers / "writers" to do everything for him ?

Kanye is known for his producing. That's what got him into the game. So that 'team of producers/writers is' him. He's not some talentless asshat (although he is an asshat). Kanye writes all his shit, and producers almost all of it. He revolutionized the rap/hip-hop multiple times, and he's only been in the game around 15 years. I understand that you a lot of folks here don't like Kanye, but don't try to act like he's just another face in pop music who doesn't really do all that much, because he actually does a ton of shit, for him, and for a long list of other artists.

Here's his production discography.

Bolsters

Bolsters™

Calvin6s

I've honestly never even given Kanye a chance because of his dickery.  I doubt I'm the only one.  His antics add more negativity for his career than good.

Prog Snob

I don't need any more dickery in my music collection. That's what I have Yngwie Malmsteen for. 

Anguyen92

Quote from: Bolsters on February 14, 2015, 09:18:50 PM
He does seem to get quite a lot of help though.

That is sure is a lot of names and writers that had contributed to that album.  I have no doubt that he is the head guy that overlooks every bit of detail and has the final say and direction in that album, but that's a huge contrast compared to a regular band where's it's like 3-6 guys and their producer to write an album.

Justin Timberlake didn't even need that many guys to make his two albums in 2013.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_20/20_Experience#Track_listings

It's essentially the same guys (JT included) for writing and producing and any instruments in that album are probably from his back-up band.

PuffyPat

There are a lot of names there, but the input they had on the record was little more than bits and pieces here and there. I'd say it was probably an 85/15 split.

Also, the difference between the 20/20 Expirince and Yeezus is that one is a really good, standard pop record, and the other is a breakthrough in hip-hop that was praised for its fresh, minimalist approach to the genre.

sneakyblueberry

Quote from: Calvin6s on February 14, 2015, 09:22:21 PM
I've honestly never even given Kanye a chance because of his dickery.  I doubt I'm the only one.  His antics add more negativity for his career than good.
Quote from: Prog Snob on February 14, 2015, 09:27:38 PM
I don't need any more dickery in my music collection. That's what I have Yngwie Malmsteen for. 

Think that's the common thought surrounding Kanye.  His music is awesome, his attitude is not.

Calvin6s

Should I change the "smh" from the title and just make this a straight Kanye West thread?

It would make some of the thread discussion seem "off" if I did this, but at least Kanye music lovers can have a thread to discuss that?

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

hefdaddy42

Quote from: PuffyPat on February 15, 2015, 08:46:26 PM
Also, the difference between the 20/20 Expirince and Yeezus is that one is a really good, standard pop record, and the other is a breakthrough in hip-hop that was praised for its fresh, minimalist approach to the genre.
Is it really accurate to call something with a cast of thousands "minimalist"?
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

theseoafs

Quote from: PuffyPat on February 15, 2015, 08:46:26 PM

Unless I'm way more out of touch with the pop landscape today than I think I am, I'm pretty sure the 20/20 Experience and its sprawling 8-minute pieces can't really be considered "standard" by any stretch of the imagination.

Orbert

So we had recorded The Grammys and just never got around to watching them until last night.  I never watch these things live, because I already know I'm gonna want to skip through a lot of it.  Actually, the default is Fast-Forward, and I only hit Play for things that look interesting.

I didn't watch Kanye's regular performance, but later on, I saw Paul McCartney up there, so I hit Play, and it was some kind of Country & Western tribute.  And there's Kanye, and Rihanna, and I thought it was one of the more bizarre collaborations I've ever seen.  A British rocker, a black guy, and a black girl, singing Country.  Here's the kicker: Kanye sounded alright.

So I didn't expect that.  The one time I intentionally catch a performance by Kanye (even though I'd watched it for someone else), he's singing C&W, and I'm impressed.  Go figure.