Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 114655 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1120 on: July 31, 2022, 01:40:56 PM »
I don't know the reasons behind ¨Jeff¨ recast. But I was thinking of the last episode and I would like to believe that Jeff's re-cast in Better Call Saul is due to an issue of perception by Jimmy himself. As we saw before, Gene Takovic is more fearful and cautious. However, when he decides not to ask Mr. Vacuum again for service, he reverts back to being Saul Goodman a bit. It would be understandable that the intimidating and threatening image of the first Jeff is because Gene Takovic is afraid all the time and that's how he perceives him, as a threat. And this new image of him, much more meek and not at all intimidating, is because Saul has returned and is not afraid, he is aware that he still has the touch to resolve conflicts.

The truth is that I have not investigated anything about why the Re-cast, but I would love for this to be the reason.

Some interesting TRIVIA can be found on the IMDB link below:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12187048/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 01:47:37 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1121 on: July 31, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
Nope, the original actor was just unavailable :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: July 31, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »
Nope, the original actor was just unavailable :lol

:lol I know, I just want to believe my thinking is the reason behind the recast.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1123 on: August 01, 2022, 01:04:43 AM »
The authors said that aside from the actor himself, they didn't change anything from the script, so that was always the way it was meant to go down, but I have a hard time picturing the original Jeff being outsmarted that way. Maybe his arrogance was just a facade that would have crumbled down anyway once he saw Gene outsmarting him and basically almost threatening to bang his mom.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1124 on: August 01, 2022, 09:11:26 PM »
I am sorry, but it has to be pointed out that in the Sunset episode of Breaking Bad, right after Hank calls Walt to see if he remembers Jesse Pinkman having an RV, Walt calls Saul and when he tells him that Hank knows about the RV, Saul's response was, "What RV?"

Yet, in the scene in tonight's BCS with Walt and Jesse, which felt like fan service and totally pointless, Saul went for a ride in the RV right after their first meeting together (when Walt and Jesse unmasked themselves). 

Seems to me that he would remember that RV and not ask, "What RV?"  The writers are usually pretty good at connecting the dots, but that's a serious blunder.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1125 on: August 01, 2022, 09:57:05 PM »
Oh cmon man, that's what you're focusing on!? I mean yeah it's 99% fan service but honestly it was fine for me, it worked with the episode of the current timeline and the events they showed.

We got so much from that episode, This is now unknown territory with the post breaking bad world with Gene and things are not looking good by the looks of it. This is his breaking bad episode and I'm guessing we're done with main timeline of the show. Now it's flashbacks to breaking bad timeline and the current post-breaking bad world. Kim is out there! so is Huel and Francesca! I get a sense of where the next two episodes are going. I'm going to checkout of all theories now.

Forgive me but I thought that was a phenomenal episode. It's the artsy fartsy episodes of BCS I dig the most. It's got a lot of the season 1 vibes which truthfully I really loved.

Spoilers for the new episode,  this post on reddit summed many of the observations pretty well, they keep adding more as and when people post about things noticed.

DabuSurvivor comments on Better Call Saul S06E11 - "Breaking Bad" - Post-Episode Discussion Thread (reddit.com)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:29:58 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1126 on: August 02, 2022, 12:05:56 AM »
My jaw dropped seeing MICHAEL NESMITH's Tapioca Tundra come on, although I'm not overly shocked just remembering they used The Monkees "Going Down" in 1 of the Meth cooking montages in Breaking Bad. Thomas Schnauz is likely a fan.

Also funny to see Kevin Sussman aka Stuart from The Big Bang Theory make a cameo. I was thinking tho, even Jimmy likely wouldn't have done what Gene/Victor is about to do.

wasn't the scene where Walt and Jessie have Saul in the desert DURING THE DAY?..maybe I missed it, but it looked like it was dark out.

Also the whole "whose Lalo thing"..and not "whose Ignacio?"..although I recall when they introduced Lalo, it was all traced back to
Saul mentioning him to Walt and Jessie in the desert.

I do suspect Marion could ultimately be what gets Gene/Saul/Jimmy in the end.

Also beyond just an adrenaline rush/addiction, the whole conversation with Francesca and the $850K being gone, has Gene motivated to bring more $ in?..maybe to want to disappear?...it will be interesting to learn his motivations for pulling off these Identity-Theft-to-rich-asshole ruses. I.e...how much is it motivated by $ and why? etc..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1127 on: August 02, 2022, 05:21:30 AM »
Oh cmon man, that's what you're focusing on!? I mean yeah it's 99% fan service but honestly it was fine for me, it worked with the episode of the current timeline and the events they showed.

Just an observation, not my main focus.  Honestly, the Walt/Jesse scene was underwhelming, and probably the least best part of the episode.  It just felt...off.   However, considering Aaron Paul's hair line was starting to recede a decade ago and I doubt Cranston wanted to shave his head to do just one scene, it was a clever move to make their one scene the one where both had ski masks on covering their heads.  Cranston nailed where Walt was at that point in the BB story, but it felt like Paul didn't quite nail the younger Jesse, although that could be the slight change in his voice and his face looking noticeably older throwing it off a tad.

I think Marion plays a large role in whatever brings Gene down.  I can't imagine they brought Carol Burnett on to the show just to be the mom of some dope who is running a scam with Gene.  Her role will be integral.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1128 on: August 02, 2022, 07:01:11 AM »
Just an observation, not my main focus.  Honestly, the Walt/Jesse scene was underwhelming, and probably the least best part of the episode.  It just felt...off.   However, considering Aaron Paul's hair line was starting to recede a decade ago and I doubt Cranston wanted to shave his head to do just one scene, it was a clever move to make their one scene the one where both had ski masks on covering their heads.  Cranston nailed where Walt was at that point in the BB story, but it felt like Paul didn't quite nail the younger Jesse, although that could be the slight change in his voice and his face looking noticeably older throwing it off a tad.

Yeah....I was underwhelmed by their appearance....definitely felt like fan service and I think there was no real 'need' for that scene at all. I know they spent time flashing back and forward between timelines but it just seemed out of place. And as you said....Cranston was still very much Walt but Paul wasn't convincing as Jesse at all, especially for the time period they had that scene held in. But whatev's.

I dug the episode and it Jimmy finding out that all of his nest eggs were discovered and taken by the Feds definitely influenced him to start the hustle again. Problem for him is the 'crew' he's using is going to get him busted. As Kev pointed out a few posts ago....I don't believe this will be a big happy ending for Jimmy /Saul. Most likely outcome is he's behind bars in the final shot hustling someone for smokes...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1129 on: August 03, 2022, 01:14:42 AM »
I agree that Bryan Cranston is amazing for turning on and off Walter White like a switch, while Aaron Paul just looked like his older self (and with a deeper voice).

Now Breaking Bad has an episode called Better Call Saul, and Better Call Saul has an episode called Breaking Bad... but it never occoured to me that it would also be the episode where "Gene" breaks bad. I guess he got bad news from his phone call and now he no longer cares about anything, he's becoming needlessly reckless and fixated. Just let go the cancer dude man (Hi Stuart from Big Bang Theory, btw), they already told you that the duct tape was removed and it's been too long since he was sedated. Let it go. His obstinacy was his "we're done when I say we're done" moment.

Also, it was inevitabile that, with the mirroring of titles, this episode would recall the BB one, with the desert scene.

And Mike got the honor of finally spelling out Walter's full name, six seasons into the prequel and three episodes away from the end  :D

Me watching the scene...
"He's an high school chemistry  teacher"
Me thinking: "Say it. Come on, say it"
"Walter Hartwell White"
"You're goddamn right"  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1130 on: August 03, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »
my wife is pissed they used the demo of Tapioca Tundra which is only found on The Bird & the Bee Boxed Set from 2010 (being a massive Monkees and Nesmith fan, but she's not a BB nor BCS fan at all).

Only 1500 copies were made.

they explained a lot of hoops were jumped through trying to get access at the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u8GDC97CM
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-monkees-fans-flip-out-mike-nesmith-demo-better-call-saul-tapioca-tundra.html/?fbclid=IwAR3KT76PTuaO1oFSU1Woo4aBb5gMCCVhjLkQ1N502NH6Z4l45_50dytJq2I

also Bob Odenkirk once portrayed Nesmith in Ben Stiller's "The Grungies" sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=togJvjdFg_8

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1132 on: August 08, 2022, 08:27:56 PM »
Great stuff tonight.

I loved, loved, loved (!!) the way they went with Kim.  While there is no excusing her despicable actions of the last season or so, she felt genuine remorse what she had done. That is more than we can say for Jimmy.  Seeing him go down is going to be pretty satisfying. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: August 08, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
Great stuff tonight.

I loved, loved, loved (!!) the way they went with Kim.  While there is no excusing her despicable actions of the last season or so, she felt genuine remorse what she had done. That is more than we can say for Jimmy.  Seeing him go down is going to be pretty satisfying.

Yeah…..fantastic episode. Even when Kim was in Saul’s office signing the papers she realized he has crossed a line that she failed to get past.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1134 on: August 08, 2022, 09:35:17 PM »
Agreed with the above! What really stood out for me this past episode was the acting by the leads. Just outstanding, so much emotion on the faces. God just one more to go.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1135 on: August 08, 2022, 09:36:22 PM »
that scene, the ending of the sequence in the office was hard to watch. It was almost like he had no amount of care for her anymore.

It was bizarre to watch.

I'm not sure if the whole divorce kind of caused him to completely bury his feelings or in the window of time from when she left him til the time in there, he just lost some of his soul and how much he cared for her, which he seemed to have regained for a moment when Francesca told him she called and asked about him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1136 on: August 09, 2022, 04:52:59 AM »
Great stuff tonight.

Yeah…..fantastic episode. Even when Kim was in Saul’s office signing the papers she realized he has crossed a line that she failed to get past.

The duality of Kim's actions is intriguing.  Her "turning herself in" isn't doing the right thing totally, as Cheryl pointed out that it will be difficult to prosecute, and as a former lawyer, Kim knows this.  And she then knew that Mike and Gus were dead, as Jimmy said it to her on the phone, so she knew damn well that the only person left who could testify against her is Jimmy, and he is obviously in hiding.  But now that she has turn her statement in, when Jimmy is caught, he can now go down for not only the crimes he committed as Saul Goodman, but for the cover-up of Howard's murder.  It could be wild if we get a scene right near the end where Jimmy is shown in court and we see Kim take the stand to testify against him (similar to the end of the film Monster when Selby took the stand against Aileen).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1137 on: August 09, 2022, 05:45:57 AM »
Did last night's episode air later than usual, or did it run long or something? I don't have cable, so I usually watch the next day on the AMC app. However, I realized it has a "Live TV option". I thought BCS started at 10, so at 10 I went to the live version of the app. A commercial was just ending and I thought the episode was starting with Jimmy at the bus stop. 15 minutes in and the credits rolled... I was so pissed  :lol I thought I was starting the episode from the beginning. Luckily, the bulk of the episode had very little to do with the last 15 minutes. 

Anyway, some very cool stuff in that episode. I really hate the black and white though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1138 on: August 09, 2022, 06:00:34 AM »
I think it has started at 9 pm EST / 8 pm CST this entire last season (I think it might have an hour later in earlier seasons, IIRC). 

I think using the black and white for the current day events, rather than the past ones, has been a good way to do it, and the first shot of color in the Gene timeline being the reflection of the Saul commercial in his glasses was an amazing shot. That is like something you'd see in a film. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1139 on: August 09, 2022, 06:31:40 AM »
A couple of articles I stumbled on last night with Vince Gilligan.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/better-call-saul-vince-gilligan-final-episode-interview-1393644/

(from April) plans after BCS, a new Show he was/is working on:
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/vince-gilligan-new-show-1234715644/

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1140 on: August 09, 2022, 06:33:01 AM »
I think it has started at 9 pm EST / 8 pm CST this entire last season (I think it might have an hour later in earlier seasons, IIRC). 

I think using the black and white for the current day events, rather than the past ones, has been a good way to do it, and the first shot of color in the Gene timeline being the reflection of the Saul commercial in his glasses was an amazing shot. That is like something you'd see in a film.

They seemed to rub salt in my wound in the most recent one  :lol Starting with the 60 or so seconds of discussion revolving around the colors of the hard boiled eggs that we couldn't see, and then there was the office shot where people were playing solitaire. I remember being a kid and hating that I couldn't know which cards were which colors. You're right though, that scene with the reflection was brilliant. There are so many shots like that in this show (BB as well). 

I felt like there were a lot of little nods in this episode. Did anyone else catch the automated parking system that used to be Mike's post?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1141 on: August 09, 2022, 07:00:37 AM »
yes, that seemed obvious.

Also what was the deal with at least 1 part of the Kim scene back in Florida been SPLIT? like 2 scenarios, similar to the scene a few years ago showing activity from 2 scenarios (1 where and Kim and Jimmy are together, 1 where they are not).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: August 09, 2022, 07:12:27 AM »
I thought Aaron Paul was more 'in character' as Jessie in that episode as well.....and I think it 'worked' as to the timing of Jessie being present in that moment. Obviously, it wasn't needed at all but it didn't feel out of place.

Jimmy is certainly paying for getting greedy and continuing on with the illegal crap after he had essentially taken care of Jeff. All he had to do was go back to laying low....but, we all know it was only a matter of time with him and that him just living a simple existence for the remainder of his life was never going to happen. If you look at just the 'current day' black and gray footage we've seen since the show began he's been watching old Saul tapes the entire time and basically daydreaming of the life he once had.....Jeff ID'ing him was just the opportunity he wanted to get a taste of the game again.

Tough to predict at this point but I'd say that the series could end with something as simple as him entering a jail cell and the door closing behind him. It'd be fitting, maybe not the most exciting ending ala BB but it'd fit for sure.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1143 on: August 09, 2022, 08:58:13 AM »
I'll be damned. Missed that one! I thought the point of that scene was to be a call back to Kim doing that.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: August 09, 2022, 11:15:01 AM »
Powerful lines that are more important now, on this final episodes:

S6E12 paralleled with S1E1

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1145 on: August 09, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »
Great, great episode. Really the point where all scenarios/timelines collide.

I love the black and white, the clarity of timelines is great, but the noir quality it lends just tickles me so much.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1146 on: August 09, 2022, 06:21:53 PM »

They seemed to rub salt in my wound in the most recent one  :lol Starting with the 60 or so seconds of discussion revolving around the colors of the hard boiled eggs that we couldn't see, and then there was the office shot where people were playing solitaire. I remember being a kid and hating that I couldn't know which cards were which colors. You're right though, that scene with the reflection was brilliant. There are so many shots like that in this show (BB as well). 

I felt like there were a lot of little nods in this episode. Did anyone else catch the automated parking system that used to be Mike's post?

Yep, that was a nice touch, Kim glancing over at where Mike used to sit before passing through.

Gone last night as well was Kim's iconic ponytail!

And how sad is her life now, being in a relationship with a guy who repeats "yep" over and over during sex.  :lol :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: August 09, 2022, 08:18:03 PM »

Yep, that was a nice touch, Kim glancing over at where Mike used to sit before passing through.

Gone last night as well was Kim's iconic ponytail!

And how sad is her life now, being in a relationship with a guy who repeats "yep" over and over during sex.  :lol :lol

And working for that company and doing text revisions just as Howard used to punish her.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1148 on: August 10, 2022, 01:23:13 AM »
Fantastic episode!

I 100% agree that Aaron Paul sold the Jesse vibe way, way better than the last episode. It also ties brilliantly how he came to trust Saul - remember in Breaking Bad how he sold Saul to Walter? paraphrasing from memory, "they had my bro, Emilio, dead to rights, and he made him walk", the "you need a criminal lawyer" scene.

So that's how he happened - Emilio wanted Saul, Jesse went to check him, he was hired, he let Emilio out, and Jesse learnt the benefit of having a "criminal lawyer".

It was jarring to see Kim with another man... but it was obvious that she would have moved on. Her "turning herself in" doesn't do much, but at least it might help to restore Howard's reputation.

And - do we even root for Saul, at this point? did we just see him ready and willing to murder an old lady? ok, he was a lawyer involved with drug lords but we never saw him do something so vile and disgusting as preparing to strangle an elder woman - the very morning after being equally ready to use a jar full of a dead dog's ashes to smash the head of a terminally ill man he just conned and robbed.

Obviously, a "Saul Goodman" being reported to the authorities will make everyone come storming down on him. We're in for an amazing ending!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1149 on: August 10, 2022, 05:45:33 AM »

And - do we even root for Saul, at this point?

No.  Just like with Walt at the end of Breaking Bad, he needs to die or get caught.  Either not happening would be majorly disappointing.  I suspect he will be caught, not die, and the sad life he was living will end up being sadder when it's being done behind bars.  But he will have earned it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1150 on: August 10, 2022, 06:24:05 AM »
Walter died, Jesse escaped, Saul getting caught would be three different endings for three different characters.

Also I'd love to see some of the aftermath, maybe Kim testifying against him to restore Howard's reputation. They said the ending was going to be "psychological disturbing" so I don't see Gene riding off into the sunset.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1151 on: August 10, 2022, 06:51:46 AM »
I forgot to point out the only short bit of comic relief, or attempt of it - when Gene was talking on the phone with Kim listing everyone who's dead, he said "Mike is dead, Fring is dead, Lalo is dead.... apparently....".

LOL, after all those years, he's still scarred by the event and he still doesn't fully, definitively, 101% believe Lalo is dead.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1152 on: August 10, 2022, 03:30:10 PM »
I’m simultaneous excited, anxious and sad waiting for the finale. Man, this series is insane.

Have we considered Gene killing himself yet? Obviously I don’t know what will happen, but there’s absolutely no way ‘Saul Goodman’ will make it out unscathed. And he doesn’t really deserve to either. What a scumbag he has become. I think the last episode’s title says enough about what we can expect, but then again the writers have surprised us more often..

What were your favourite episodes of the entire series? Let’s look back a little before the finale. What a ride it has been!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: August 10, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
Vene/Jimmy/Saul will wear the read suit and will defend himself only to be exposed by Kim returning as a lawyer. I am hoping that’s what happens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1154 on: August 11, 2022, 02:22:47 AM »
What were your favourite episodes of the entire series? Let’s look back a little before the finale. What a ride it has been!

It indeed has been a ride! it must be the weekly format but this season felt so long and 2-3 seasons combined in one, so much stuff happened!

The trilogy of episodes about Nacho... all the setup for the plot to frame Howard... Point and Execution which will go down as one of the greatest episodes of the entire BrBa universe.... and now all the Gene stuff!!! can you really believe that, if someone will eventually "binge" the show or even watch one episode per day, will go from Nacho to Howard to Gene in black in white in just 10 days?

Looking back, while I absolutely love the show and how it's headed, I sometimes miss the levity of the first season, which had two of my favorite lines / jokes:

"The only way that entire car is worth $500 is if there’s a $300 hooker sitting in it"

And (copy and paste from the Wikiquote, when Tuco breaks the legs of the skateboard twins)

"Cal: You—you are—you are the worst lawyer! The worst lawyer ever!
Jimmy: Hey, I just talked you down from a death sentence to six months' probation. I'm the best lawyer ever."

Also the Kettlemans were pure comedy gold, with all their disastrous schemes and Jimmy getting the best of them.

Obviously the high water mark of season 1 was Jimmy's confrontation of Chuck upon discovering HE was the asshole, not Howard.

SEASON 2... another great comedy moment came from Danny and the Squat Cobbler ordeal  :lol also the whole switching documents with Chuck's meltdown / Sherlock-Holmesque deduction of how exactly Jimmy framed it was superb.

SEASON 3... Chicanery is a monumental episode, and all the ensuing drama leading to that lantern final scene.

SEASON 4... We got Lalo! no specific episode stands out but man, the Ziegler scenes were so intense and sad.

SEASON 5... Bagman is another monumental episode, among all the rising tensions between Gus and Lalo. And the following Bad Choices Road, with the "tell me again" scene.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:18:51 AM by MirrorMask »