Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112902 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1050 on: May 25, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
They don't know about his services, but they hinted at them figuring it out when Kim found his business card in the black book. We know they get that book at some point, and maybe Kim deciphers the code or something. That'd also explain how Saul knew of him and his services in BB.

No. The scene at the vet (Ep. 6) where they flipped through the black book prominently showed the Vacuum Guy's business card though, and we know that book ends up in their hands at some point (somebody else said in this thread that it was shown in the season's cold open).

Gotcha. I hope they don't go that route again. We have already seen Walt, Sault and Jesse use the disappearer to vanish. Do we really need to see another use it?  It feels like a plot device they would have overused if they employ it again.  I already think Hector's bell ringing has reached its expiration date and is now more annoying than anything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1051 on: May 27, 2022, 07:07:31 PM »
I read that Patrick Fabian (who played Howard) is a huge fan of Radiohead, Steven Wilson, Genesis, etc., and his favorite band is Rush.  I think he just became one of my favorite celebs.  :lol :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1052 on: May 28, 2022, 05:50:07 AM »
Another thing I read is that Howard was indeed supposed to be Jimmy's antagonist, with Chuck being a mentor and a caring elder brother. While filming the first season both the actors and the writers came to the realization that it would have been far more interesting to switch roles and make Chuck the antagonist. Absolutely brilliant choice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1053 on: May 28, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Another thing I read is that Howard was indeed supposed to be Jimmy's antagonist, with Chuck being a mentor and a caring elder brother. While filming the first season both the actors and the writers came to the realization that it would have been far more interesting to switch roles and make Chuck the antagonist. Absolutely brilliant choice.

Agreed.  I like when that stuff like happens. They saw what they had with the actors and realized they could change the trajectory of two characters on the fly, and boom, it worked!  It reminds me of the audible they called with the Jesse Pinkman character, who was supposed to be killed off at the end of Season 1 of Breaking Bad, but once they saw how good Aaron Paul was, combined with the all-time on-screen chemistry he had with Bryan Cranston, they kept him around for the entire run.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: July 10, 2022, 08:39:13 AM »
Tomorrow

:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1055 on: July 10, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »
It is telling that AMC is showing the entire Breaking Bad series this weekend, not all of Better Call Saul, as they know that BB is far better and more popular, and the best way to get excitement and ratings up for the new BCS episode is to get fans to binge on Breaking Bad. Smart move.  :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1056 on: July 10, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
Not this debate again!  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: July 10, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »
Shots fired! :P

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: July 11, 2022, 02:44:15 PM »
Promo for the final half season  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVeTDxCwGLE

Wow, did this make me sad.  We didn't watch a single BB episode until the show had ended, but we watched BCS from night one.  I'll always consider BB better,
but I enjoyed Saul more.  Now come all the heartbreaks and aches.  We're waaay past the good old 'Hoboken Squat Cobbler' days.....

My favorite picture from our favorite show these past six plus years

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1059 on: July 11, 2022, 08:10:19 PM »
Okay, that kicked serious ass.  Hot damn.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1060 on: July 11, 2022, 09:27:35 PM »
The tension this show creates is second to none. Vince Gilligan directed the shit out of that episode. What a return to the 2nd half, I get the gut feeling this show is only going into more heartbreak.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: July 11, 2022, 10:53:17 PM »
There is no definitive way to prove it…….it will and can be argued back and forth between camps……which is better…..BCS or BB? Both are created and guided by the same man, have characters that are inter wound between both shows…..it’s honestly a mute point because the ‘universe’ these shows exist in and the characters therein are the true treasure.

But I’ll argue till I’m blue in the face that BCS is ‘better’ than BB, especially if this shoe sticks the landing which there’s no indication as to why it wouldn’t.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: July 12, 2022, 05:30:31 AM »
Mike looked genuinely sad at the end for Howard.  Mike is a criminal and a killer, but doesn't like to see anyone not in the game get harmed, and while Howard wasn't always a likable guy, he wasn't a bad guy, and he received a terrible ending (killed for no reason, reputation destroyed, buried underneath a meth superlab next to the guy who killed him). 

I like that Lalo's storyline was wrapped up last night.  What happens with Jimmy/Gene and how Kim's arc plays out are the two biggies as far as what I want to see, so it was nice to see the sociopath finally get his.  Amazing how they had us rooting for Gus. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2022, 06:21:56 AM »
Also, a great question I saw online: how in the world did they get that mini track hoe into the lab and how do they plan to get it out??

:lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1064 on: July 12, 2022, 06:23:58 AM »
It's also fascinating to think that as good as Mike is at his job, Lalo completely outsmarted him in those last two episodes.  Gus took down Lalo despite Mike and the team around him pretty much letting him down.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1065 on: July 12, 2022, 06:25:18 AM »
There is no definitive way to prove it…….it will and can be argued back and forth between camps……which is better…..BCS or BB?

BB all the way, a top 3 show of all time for me.  I like BCS but I'm nowhere near as invested in the show at the minute as I was in BB during it's final run.

But opinions and all :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: July 12, 2022, 06:58:06 AM »
Also, a great question I saw online: how in the world did they get that mini track hoe into the lab and how do they plan to get it out??

:lol :lol

There is a tunnel that exits the lab. You can see it in the shots from BCS and in BB it has it's own coiling door that opens to a more refined tunnel.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: July 12, 2022, 09:41:08 AM »
Just finished the episode, and man, what an episode.

It makes me think of Kim’s love for Jimmy. Kim Whexler attorney at law was all-in to kill some random person (for her) just to save Jimmy. Man, that hit hard.

I recently did a rewatch of BB, before BCS season 6 started. And I just noticed that while Lalo was putting the gag into Jimmy’s mouth he says: “it wasn’t me, it was….Ignacio” same line that Saul says in BB season 2 episode 8 when the gag was removed from him. ALL this time he has being living in fear that Lalo appears suddenly.

Swing Howard in the same pit with Lalo, that was powerful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1068 on: July 12, 2022, 12:13:08 PM »
A few new thoughts...

-Kim is now a loose end for Gus. She knows where he lives, even if she doesn't know his name.  It pained Mike that he couldn't save Nacho, but maybe he finds a way to save Kim and get her to "disappear" without Gus knowing he was responsible for making it happen.  No way can Kim survive as is for long with Gus around.

-The fallout from Howard's death/disappearance should be massive. Cliff knows that Kim skipped the meeting he set up for her and he knows Howard thought Jimmy and Kim set him up (Mike was not aware of either of those things).  They can't just explain it away the way Mike said and have it go away.

-Gus is going to having a good time quietly whispering in Hector's ear that his nephew is dead for real this time, and will likely rub salt in the wound by admitting that he did the deed himself.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: July 12, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
A few new thoughts...

-Kim is now a loose end for Gus. She knows where he lives, even if she doesn't know his name.  It pained Mike that he couldn't save Nacho, but maybe he finds a way to save Kim and get her to "disappear" without Gus knowing he was responsible for making it happen.  No way can Kim survive as is for long with Gus around.

-The fallout from Howard's death/disappearance should be massive. Cliff knows that Kim skipped the meeting he set up for her and he knows Howard thought Jimmy and Kim set him up (Mike was not aware of either of those things).  They can't just explain it away the way Mike said and have it go away.

-Gus is going to having a good time quietly whispering in Hector's ear that his nephew is dead for real this time, and will likely rub salt in the wound by admitting that he did the deed himself.

Wouldn't that put Gus in danger? I mean, Hector can't talk, but he knows how to ring a bell, so, he could let the nephews and/or others know that Gus killed Lalo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1070 on: July 12, 2022, 01:26:55 PM »
Oh, right. Duh.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: July 12, 2022, 02:21:41 PM »

Yeah....you'd have to believe that has something to do with Kim 'missing' from the BB world (excusing the fact she didn't exist when that show was written) You'd think this pretty much lit the fuse on Kim's characters demise....whatever that turns out to be. With them using the 'disappear' angle for three characters we know already....although it was a different show....I wonder if it'll be a different scenario? Although, Kim would then technically be the 'first' character to have used the 'disappear' method.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1072 on: July 12, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

Yeah....you'd have to believe that has something to do with Kim 'missing' from the BB world (excusing the fact she didn't exist when that show was written) You'd think this pretty much lit the fuse on Kim's characters demise....whatever that turns out to be. With them using the 'disappear' angle for three characters we know already....although it was a different show....I wonder if it'll be a different scenario? Although, Kim would then technically be the 'first' character to have used the 'disappear' method.

I think it is notable as well that the writers have said that Rhea Seehorn was a revelation and they never anticipated Kim being this big and important of a character, so it makes me wonder if the end of Jimmy's story in BCS, which they had to have had a general idea about going in, does not involve Kim directly.  Perhaps her arc ends before then.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: July 13, 2022, 10:35:28 AM »
Lalo appeared in Breaking Bad

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1074 on: July 14, 2022, 12:32:41 AM »
Nice piece of continuity.

Lalo is one of the best characters of all time, afaic. Amazing to watch.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1075 on: July 14, 2022, 01:48:56 AM »
Goddammit I accidentally read a spoiler for Ep. 8, because I didn’t know the new episode was out already.

Oh and Better Call Saul >> Breaking Bad.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1076 on: July 14, 2022, 02:00:32 AM »
Finally saw the episode, amazing!

I am glad I am not as smart as the writers, or the characters, I didn't see the whole episode coming. Come on, I should have realized that Lalo knew that you just can't walk up to Fring's house and shoot him, he must have known he was protected (congratulations to the guy whose job is be a stand-in for Fring and get assassinated in his place, btw).

I also thought that Kim was gonna plead with Gus, explaining the situation.... I figured that Gus would accept to pose with fake blood for a picture to "prove" to Lalo he was dead. Guess it's good I'm just a fan and not a writer, uh?  :lol

One thing however I did figure out - seeing how Lalo was all guns blazing, I figured that he was not long for the show. I called it - this standoff couldn't have been dragged forever, my hunch was that he was going to die in this episode, or - like Hank in Ozymandias - at the beginning of the next one after a cliffhanger. At least I got this right.

Also - Kim was totally gonna shoot Gus. WTF. She was sent to have a chance to get out of the house, maybe go to the police, but no - she was gonna commit murder just like Jess killed Gale. Wow.

Imagine how Jimmy will be traumatized by these event. Mike straight told him that Lalo wasn't coming back, and four years later he's still afraid of Lalo, see the now infamous "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio" line to Walt and Jesse. Also, now we know how Jimmy knows Mike's skills as a cleaner, and why he sent him to Jesse's house after Jane died.

Now Lalo and Howard are out of the way, from now on it's all Jimmy / Saul / Gene!!! bring on the end!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1077 on: July 14, 2022, 05:07:51 AM »
One thing to remember about Jimmy is that he still seems totally rattled by all of this crime and the idea of murder.

Fast forward to Breaking Bad where Saul never had an issue with it. In his first episode when he is talking to Walt and Jesse about the guy who takes the fall as Heisenberg and go to prison for them, he floats the idea of taking care of Badger in the chow line in prison (Jesse: "no shanking!" :lol)

So, a lot still has to happened between now and when BCS makes the jump to the BB timeline to where Jimmy becomes not only okay with crime, but recommending it without batting an eyelash.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1078 on: July 14, 2022, 05:34:13 AM »
Hey, there has been a whole movie to retcon a plot hole of another one (I'm talking about Rogue One), I guess there are in-universe ways to reconcile Saul's attitude without too much trouble.

Couple ones:

- He was just testing the moral fiber of his new customers, just to take their measure and see if they are the kind of people who are ok with casual murder;

- Four years has been passed, and donning the Saul Goodman persona is a coping mechanism. You wear the mask long enough, you eventually become what you pretend to be.

Also, we still don't know what happens with Kim. Maybe that's the final blow who will make him go full Saul.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: July 14, 2022, 07:06:59 AM »
Nica call backs shots

And this one too:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1080 on: July 14, 2022, 03:20:07 PM »
still waiting for the Peter Gould quote to come in to play, but that may not happen until we find out Gene's fate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1081 on: July 14, 2022, 03:29:30 PM »
Hey, there has been a whole movie to retcon a plot hole of another one (I'm talking about Rogue One), I guess there are in-universe ways to reconcile Saul's attitude without too much trouble.

Couple ones:

- He was just testing the moral fiber of his new customers, just to take their measure and see if they are the kind of people who are ok with casual murder;

- Four years has been passed, and donning the Saul Goodman persona is a coping mechanism. You wear the mask long enough, you eventually become what you pretend to be.

Also, we still don't know what happens with Kim. Maybe that's the final blow who will make him go full Saul.

Perhaps, but just glossing over it instead of showing what really made Jimmy turn into full-fledged Saul who is totally cool with murder would be doing a disservice to the show, I think.

I suspect that with only five eps to go, the days of BCS doing a massive slowdown after something big are over.  The foot will likely stay pressed on the gas pedal till the end.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1082 on: July 14, 2022, 05:47:53 PM »
I thought there was a chance we were going to see Kim make an exit in the last episode as well. I thought that's what Saul was getting at when he was telling her to go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1083 on: July 18, 2022, 08:32:09 PM »
If that was the end for Ms. Wexler, I can live with it.  Her conscience finally got the best of her.  And Jimmy's true lack of one is why he became Saul Goodman full time.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1084 on: July 18, 2022, 09:13:04 PM »
I gotta believe there's more.

Just seeing Howard's widow questioning both of them, they could still include more with her. Although she reminded me a bit of Hank's wife in that scene.

I also think there's a decent chance we'll see her in the Gene time frame per that has been a huge curiosity since the beginning of the show.
Where's Kim? Is she in any way in contact, or even somewhere near where Gene is, etc.

Omaha isn't incredibly far from her hometown.