Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 39569 times)

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #665 on: October 03, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
Completely forgot to watch Monday night, had to catch it last night. Might watch it again tonight. That was a really good episode. I personally enjoy the Mike/Werner scenes, particularly in last night's episode. That sneaky son of a bitch. He's gonna end up dead now, and Gus is gonna have Mike's ass in the finale.

I thought it was really cathartic for Kim to lay into Jimmy and frankly it didn't surprise me she let it all out at him. It's hard to disagree with her either, although I still feel terrible for both of them, almost as much for Jimmy as I do for Kim.

That opening scam was fantastic. Kim sold the part of a cunning scammer well while also showing her nerves for the audience to pick up on. Really entertaining.

Lalo Salamanca - not sure what to make of him. I can't tell if he's dangerous or naive, the actor is really good at his role and I can't get a read on him, if he actually does trust Gus or not. He's not like any of the other Salamancas other than his loyalty to Hector.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #666 on: October 03, 2018, 07:10:34 PM »
Lalo definitely does not trust or like Gus.  We saw how close he is to Hector, and I am sure Lalo is on board the same anti-Gus train that Hector is on.  His casual toss of the Pollos Hermanos cup out of the car window on to the parking lot illustrated that quite clearly.

At this point, I will be shocked if we do not see Kim in Jimmy's post-BB life.  Heck, she could have been in his life the whole time during BB; it's not like they ever showed any aspect of Saul's personal life.

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #667 on: October 03, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
 :facepalm: I forgot about that re: Lalo's behavior after leaving the office. Gonna watch the episode again when I get home soon.

I think it would be awesome if she lived through BB. There's no reason she has to get whacked, after all...
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #668 on: October 04, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Right, all of this is definitely setting up a possible season 5.

I think we're getting Gene's life again in the final episode, because we haven't see the rest of that yet and it would feel strange if they don't show us anything there. Also, something's bound to happen with Jimmy getting reinstated anyway, because there's no way this is going to take on another season. It really can go either way in the last episode between Jimmy and Kim, but I think they will make up.

Ramble.

Lalo will probably turn out to be quite literally insane. He might actually go out and kill Nacho for all we know, for 'poisoning' Hector. Also Werner is an idiot and I can't help but think there's more to his escape than just him missing his wife. Perhaps he's secretly working for another group as well? Too much stuff to think about and the final episode is never going to answer all of this at once.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MinistroRaven

• LotsOfMuzik
« Reply #669 on: October 09, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
Man, season finale was SOOOO good, no question why Jimmy feels no remorse for Chuck at all. That Karaoke scene was so perfect, Chuck stealing the spotlight and that song fit really well with the message they were trying to convey.
After watching the episode it got me thinking that Kim was the one who wrote that “perfect” letter to Jimmy and no Chuck.
And last lines of Jimmy at the end of the episode were there ones I anticipated. This show it’s PERFECT. Sadly I will have to wait for next season.

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #670 on: October 09, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
It was a great episode. And that shot of Mike and Werner in the desert, that was cinematic beauty. And their dialogue just prior to that, it was great. You could see it in both their faces that neither of them wanted that outcome but it had to be done. I loved how Jimmy conned everyone, even the viewers (at least me and my dad), into believing he was genuine in that room, and then... bam, suckered. Slippin' Jimmy. "S'all good, man!" Hah. Season 5 is gonna rock. Hope it comes sooner than later.
RYM || Last.FM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #671 on: October 09, 2018, 05:49:56 PM »
Moral of the story: everything Chuck said about his brother was dead accurate.

Very good finale to a somewhat choppy season, IMO.

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #672 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
Yeah, it didn't seem to get its legs until around Episode 5.  We watched 6-9 last night before the finale. 

There was so much to digest.  It was well done on every count, painful as it was.  Good to see the Abbey Road Gang again, and Howard, and the opener was superb and a brilliant twist for the ending.

'one thousand and one, one thousand and two'
'watermelon pickles'

Biggest disappointment:  not getting to hear Jimmy and Kim have a go at 'Bohemian Rhapsody'  :tdwn

Biggest sigh of relief:  not having to hear Jimmy and Kim sing 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.    ;)

'Discretionary posting is the better part of valor.'  Falstaff

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #673 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:21 PM »
I was waiting for Chuck to start singing Stonehenge.  :metal :metal

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #674 on: October 09, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
At a volume of 11  :D
'Discretionary posting is the better part of valor.'  Falstaff

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #675 on: October 09, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
I was waiting for Chuck to start singing Stonehenge.  :metal :metal

OMG...I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching that part. :tup :tup

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #676 on: October 10, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Dman, that was an awesome episode indeed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #677 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
That ending was brilliant.  Kim played the game with Jimmy and in the end she truly thought he meant what he said when he went off script.  He deserves a nomination for the emmy.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #678 on: October 11, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
Alright.. now that the dust has settled a bit; I really enjoy Better Call Saul and as it's the only Series I watch, you can guess that I'm already eagerly awaiting Season 5 (which should arrive sometime, given the ending of this one). However, I can't help but feel that the creators went a little off-track with this season, and that's mostly to do with the bunch of semi-/not intertwined plot-lines throughout the series.

I don't think I can voice all of my gripes accurately, but I think the following sums it up:  the series throws a lot of stuff at you and some of that stuff is brilliant and actually helps to further the plot, other scenes leave me wondering what the hell happened and we're left to fill in the blanks ourselves. Prime example: the latest scenes with Nacho. We last saw him on his father's couch, in very bad shape. The next scene he shows up is in his own(?) house, with random girls in his living room, putting stuff in a safe. What the hell is happening here? Next up, in Ep. 9 he tours around with Lalo, who asks him to show the farm. The in Ep. 10, he's nowhere to be found. Strange.

Then the stuff with the Germans. The bar scene had no impact on the story at all (even Werner drawing the secret lab to random people ultimately didn't do anything). Building the super hideout served nothing other than to show how insanely dedicated Gus is to set up his own operations. The whole 'Werner goes missing' does absolutely nothing for the character development of the main characters and actually didn't further the plot either. I also find it highly unlikely (but that aside) that Werner would actively choose to run away. And was killing him really necessary? I mean, what does it accomplish? (in the grand scheme of things).

Earlier in the series, the Gus/Mike/Nacho stuff was at least closely tied to the Jimmy/Kim stuff, even though it was only through Mike being the parking attendant and him helping Jimmy occasionally. Now it's really two separate stories developing and not all of it is exactly clear (the Nacho stuff for example, but also whatever Lalo is doing). Another thing is the therapy session where Mike ousted that one guy. I mean, the scene was good, but what was the point in showing it? Oh, I haven't even started on the post-BB 'Gene' life. That's really going nowhere either.

Now, typing this up makes it all sound really negative, which isn't my intention, because I'm enjoying the show immensely and perhaps I'm bad at seeing te bigger picture, or the meaning behind some of these seemingly random scenes. To me it's as if the makers themselves don't have a particularly clear direction and they just keep throwing stuff at us to make things more complicated, while detracting from what was originally going to be the main story: how Jimmy got to be Saul. This season had us watching the Twin Brother Deathsquad gun down an entire drug operation out of nowhere.

At least with BB I got the feeling there was more focus; the main story was clear and everything helped propel the story forward. There were no real distractions and everything that was shown mattered to some extent. With BCS, I feel like they could leave out a bunch of the scenes without really damaging the story whatsoever, which ultimately drags down the show a tiny bit.

Again - I enjoyed the season and will eagerly wait for the next. I hope the makers have a good idea of how they're going to tie everything together.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: October 11, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
While I wasn't overly enamored with the Germans/super lab story, I totally disagree with a few things you said, Elite.

Then the stuff with the Germans. The bar scene had no impact on the story at all (even Werner drawing the secret lab to random people ultimately didn't do anything). 

Running his mouth to a bunch of strangers showed that Werner could not be trusted, which was reaffirmed later when he bolted in the middle of the night.

The whole 'Werner goes missing' does absolutely nothing for the character development of the main characters and actually didn't further the plot either.

It was a plot device to demonstrate where Mike's unyielding loyalty to Gus, which we saw in Breaking Bad, came from.

I also find it highly unlikely (but that aside) that Werner would actively choose to run away. And was killing him really necessary? I mean, what does it accomplish? (in the grand scheme of things).

Was killing him necessary?  Considering their world and leaving the morality of normal people like us out of the equation, yes.

He had already given away some info to Lalo on the phone.

He could not be trusted.

If you are Gus, how can you trust this guy to a) come back and finish the job without going off the reservation again, and b) keep his mouth shut once it was finished.

Now, it's clear that Werner didn't know the full scope of who and what he was dealing with, otherwise Mike's original warning (after he shot his mouth off in the bar) would have sunk in and stuck.

Mike choosing to do it himself was his way of letting Werner go out with a quick death, instead of Gus' guys doing it (and that would not have been quick).

Online ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #680 on: October 12, 2018, 02:04:39 AM »
The whole 'Werner goes missing' does absolutely nothing for the character development of the main characters and actually didn't further the plot either.

It was a plot device to demonstrate where Mike's unyielding loyalty to Gus, which we saw in Breaking Bad, came from.
And also, crucially, why in BB he's so inflexible. I thought the way this story with the Germans developed and set up Mike's character development turned out brilliant in the end.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #681 on: October 12, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »
Okay, maybe that part of my retort wasn't very well thought out, because now that both of you are saying that, it actually makes sense.

The last couple of scenes with Nacho still leave me wondering what the hell happened though and the fact the series at this point is essentially 2 or 3 stories running together, instead of one bigger story has gone unanswered, so I'm assuming you guys agree with me on that part.

Maybe I'm just not very good at looking further into a tv series.
Squ