Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112939 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #630 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »
Me neither.  That kind of cliche is something the BB/BCS writers totally avoid.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: September 05, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
Wow, what a great episode.
I wonder why Howard was that bad looking in the bath scene. I don’t think it is related to Chucks dead isn’t ?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: September 05, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
Howard showed obvious pain and guilt when talking to Jimmy and Kim about his death.  It was his final action of removing Chuck that helped reignite the (final) spiral Kim ripping him a new one at the office afterwards added to it. 

Rewatched episode 4 (FFing through commercials) before episode 5.  These were two terrific shows. Made no sense to make it so uncomfortable to the lab 'riders'.  Cushy seats, seat belts, low volume music, and A/C would have helped hide some of the 'mysteries'.  Plus, had to p*ss Mike off to spend 18 hours back there.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
I hate to say it, but I have went from excited about this show to bored as hell with it. I am still in it till the end, but it feels like I am forcing myself to watch it at this point.  If this weren't a BB prequel, I'd be jumping ship.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #634 on: September 13, 2018, 06:51:04 AM »
My dad is still into the show so that's a good sign to me, I missed the last 2 episodes but hopefully will catch up this weekend. I loved this season through the first four episodes so hope it's kept up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #635 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Yeah, I really don't understand you Kev. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
My dad is still into the show so that's a good sign to me, I missed the last 2 episodes but hopefully will catch up this weekend. I loved this season through the first four episodes so hope it's kept up.

Thanks for the clarification, as I was a bit stunned because these last two episodes are easily the best of the season.  A lot of 'fan service', two terrific flashbacks, and some brilliant story telling with their tie ins.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #637 on: September 13, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
Loving this season just like I did the others, and, for me, it is much better than Breaking Bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #638 on: September 13, 2018, 05:52:22 PM »

What's not to understand?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #639 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:31 PM »

I phrased that wrong, should have said can't relate rather than don't understand. For me, everything about BCS is superior to BB, and the quality has remained consistently high throughout. But tastes, of course!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: September 15, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, as I was a bit stunned because these last two episodes are easily the best of the season.  A lot of 'fan service', two terrific flashbacks, and some brilliant story telling with their tie ins.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I just finished episode 5 a couple minutes ago, and had to respond to this. Nope, not disappointed in the slightest. I'm about to start episode 6 but want to share fresh thoughts before seeing what happens next.

Starting off with a 'behind the scenes' opening with Saul in his office during the end of Breaking Bad (that would be during what episode... Granite State, probably?) was awesome. Possibly my favorite opening of all BCS's seasons, because I knew the significance of that scene. Bob Odenkirk just melts back into the role of Saul there and it's easy to see it happen during the episode as he slings burner phones on the streets. Also, those kids who mugged him are assholes, I was so mad when that happened.

Seeing Gus and Mike lay the foundations for Gus's hidden lab - YES! I loved that this was a thing. I always wondered during BB how the hell that came to be and when it started, and BCS has been doing a great job giving some backstory on BB while being its own thing (bringing in Gus, the Cousins, Gale at his old job, the building of the lab).

Kim is a great lawyer and person in general and I kind of liked that she hung up on Mesa Verde to help her client but she definitely earned that scolding when she got back. I don't want anything bad to happen to her but of course I can't shake the feeling something is gonna go down.

Howard looked like a total mess at the end, too. Did Kim scolding him mess him up that badly? Wow.

Here goes episode 6. I love this show so much.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:43 PM »
Okay, episode 6. Not too much to say there, actually. Enjoyable episode as usual, but the one before it was much more exciting. I really liked Gus's monologue to Hector, and I loved Jimmy getting revenge on those bastard kids. For a moment I was convinced he got in over his head and they were really gonna beat the kids to a pulp, that was tense.

Good to see Howard get his balls back for a minute - "fuck you, Jimmy" - "That's it, use that!" - yes!  :biggrin:

Kind of glad I waited until today, because now I only have 2 more days to wait for a new ep!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: September 18, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
Last night's episode was a good one. It's sad to watch Kim and Jimmy becoming more distant as their lives go in different directions.

I'm loving all these characters from Breaking Bad having a role in this show finally; Huell being a central character of the episode was enjoyable and it was interesting to watch Kim process Jimmy's explanation for selling drop phones on the street for months on end. And then coming up with a plan at the end - didn't expect her to do that, but I feel like Kim's getting herself into some real hot water which makes me sad, I really like her and don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Gus pulling the plug on Hector's treatment - oooh, that's cruel. The backstory on Hector Salamanca is great after watching him through all of BB and it'll be so fun to watch Breaking Bad yet again after this show wraps.

Only a few more episodes already... sigh. Hope next season doesn't take a year and a half to make!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #643 on: September 18, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »
After being bored with the last few episodes, last night's was excellent!  That opening montage was awesome, showing the divide that is happening between Kim and Jimmy.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
Great episode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: September 21, 2018, 06:02:51 AM »

I phrased that wrong, should have said can't relate rather than don't understand. For me, everything about BCS is superior to BB, and the quality has remained consistently high throughout. But tastes, of course!

It's not just me, though!  Several co-workers are totally bored with the show, to the point where one has all but given up on it, and the other takes the "I guess I'll watch it since I'm already invested" attitude.  A friend texted me yesterday, "Wow, Saul kinda sucks now."  And my cousin texted me the other day saying he and his wife finally started watching this season and are not liking it either.  At this point, literally every single person I talk to on a somewhat regularly basis (at least) who watches the show is incredibly disappointed with it it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
Why are they disappointed? I'm curious to hear the reasons. My old man doesn't watch much TV like this show and he's absolutely hooked even when it slows down. The character development is excellent, the editing and cinematography is clever and high quality, the overall plot is going places and the connections to Breaking Bad are significant and offer some interesting backstory. I can kind of understand why some wouldn't be entertained but the show hasn't really changed much since its first season, when it was much slower with less going on than it has now. So I'm just curious.

Not saying anyone's wrong, of course, absolutely not. But it reminds me of two of my best friends who gave up on Westworld season 2 like 3 episodes in and started trashing the series even though nothing really changed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #647 on: September 24, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »
Why are they disappointed? I'm curious to hear the reasons.

"It's boring."
"It moves too slow."
"Not enough happens in every episode."

That is the gist of it.

And I generally agree. With only 10 48-minute (roughly) episodes a season, they should be packing as much as they can into one episode, but it feels like so much time is slowly building up to something that inevitably has an unsatisfying payoff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: September 24, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
That's... interesting. It's a show about a guy trying to be a lawyer and scrape by through other means, not really sure what they're expecting, too much of the Salamancas or Gus stuff turns it into a Breaking Bad wannabe. Oh well, that's a shame.

Stoked for the new episode in 10 minutes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
HAHA! Me when I saw that Jimmy's brilliant scheme had paid off when Kim kissed him in the stairwell:

JIMMYYYY!!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: September 24, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
It really helps to watch the previous episode On Demand just prior to the new episode (FFing thru the commercials).  Really helped for tonight.

And, my review of the new episode 

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
The whole Huell thing portraying him as a hero was hilarious.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
"It's boring."
"It moves too slow."

That is the gist of it.
To that I say: the instant gratification generation. What? No explosions? No car chases? No special effects? No constant action? No way!

A lot happens every second of every episode if you are really watching. If you are watching while expecting something, then you are not really watching.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: September 26, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
"It's boring."
"It moves too slow."

That is the gist of it.
To that I say: the instant gratification generation. What? No explosions? No car chases? No special effects? No constant action? No way!

A lot happens every second of every episode if you are really watching. If you are watching while expecting something, then you are not really watching.

Agreed.

And Guillermo del Toro says it better than me:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #654 on: September 26, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
"It's boring."
"It moves too slow."

That is the gist of it.

Nah, that's not it.  It's just not that great. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #655 on: September 27, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »
I disagree with the comparison he makes between Walter and Jimmy. I think there is A LOT of good in Jimmy, even as Saul Goodman. It is only the facade that he has learned to maintain to deal with the system. Underneath it there is a really good guy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: September 27, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
A really good guy, and one who's envious of his brother's success as a lawyer. Look back at that last episode when there's a flashback to him and Kim (then an intern, Jimmy a mailroom clerk) and he's staring with envy at Chuck as he's being congratulated on his recent big win. Jimmy just wants to prove he's as good and worthy as Chuck, ever since he was a mailroom clerk, but he's been struggling along the way, going so far as to deceive his own brother at the end. There's definitely a good core to Jimmy, but on the exterior there grows an ever-thickening shell of deception and cunning. I adore the way this show tells that story.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #657 on: September 27, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Damn, episodes 7 and 8 were sooooo good.

I do find it weird that some people don't like BCS because it's "too slow" or whatever but love BB which is also a very slow paced show. That's not a criticism, it's just the style that these two shows have.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #658 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »
I just watched Episode 8, after watching #7 last night (I was a bit behind).

Just when I was wondering when Nacho would show up again (last time we saw him he was sobbing in his father's house), he did show up. And it looks like he's changed - and he seems to be (going to be) in trouble yet again with that random dude in the restaurant at the very end of the episode.

The Babineaux thing was...quite funny, but very improbable. Why would Kim even want to start helping Jimmy for keeping Huell out of jil? She has basically no interest whatsoever. Huell is a minor character and pretty much a nobody at best, so for her to get into serious trouble over this makes no sense at all to me. The stint they (Kim & Jimmy) pulled was pretty good though, but Kim saying 'Let's do it again' at the end has me worried for her. Saul's going to drag her down with him, which is not what I would like to see.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: September 28, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
I just watched Episode 8, after watching #7 last night (I was a bit behind).

Just when I was wondering when Nacho would show up again (last time we saw him he was sobbing in his father's house), he did show up. And it looks like he's changed - and he seems to be (going to be) in trouble yet again with that random dude in the restaurant at the very end of the episode.

The Babineaux thing was...quite funny, but very improbable. Why would Kim even want to start helping Jimmy for keeping Huell out of jil? She has basically no interest whatsoever. Huell is a minor character and pretty much a nobody at best, so for her to get into serious trouble over this makes no sense at all to me. The stint they (Kim & Jimmy) pulled was pretty good though, but Kim saying 'Let's do it again' at the end has me worried for her. Saul's going to drag her down with him, which is not what I would like to see.

I've been trying to find a good explanation for Kim's behavior too, since I haven't rewatched the series yet, and came across an article that seems to give a good explanation.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/9/24/17894970/better-call-saul-episode-8-season-4-recap-coushatta-kim-wexler-jimmy-mcgill

She probably won’t, but there is a heightened aura of tragic inevitability surrounding Kim, akin to Chuck’s waning moments in Better Call Saul’s third season. The catalyst for Kim agreeing to help Jimmy pull the scam in “Something Stupid” came when the prosecuting attorney said that Huell’s only witness was a “scumbag disbarred lawyer who peddles drop phones to criminals.” Kim’s anguish conveyed an array of emotions: shock, befuddlement, defensiveness, and tacit acknowledgment. She needs to reorient her moral compass before she fully breaks bad alongside Jimmy. But like Heisenberg’s blue meth, now that she’s got a taste for it, there might not be any going back.

There's also a reminder about how she helped Jimmy con the douchey business guy earlier in the series, the loudmouth at the bar - another good scene.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #660 on: September 28, 2018, 01:51:55 PM »
Improbable in what sense? Do you mean in terms of her motivation? Because actually, although it comes as a surprise (as over the last couple of seasons she's been more serious and focused on her legal career), it's at the same time not that surprising that she loves the challenge, the drama and the one-upmanship of it like when the two of them would scam guys in bars. I honestly loved how they played this, and as others have now suggested, it suddenly seems quite likely that it'll be Kim who ultimately is the bad influence that pushes Jimmy to fully become Saul.

I was also chatting to a friend about it today, who speculated that the person who Saul calls for extraction at the end of BB could actually be Kim. I'm not sure about that, although it'd be a clever twist.

EDIT: ninja'd by Katt o/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: September 28, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
Yeah, but you formulated a good response, I went looking for one  :lol I definitely need to watch the series again, the long breaks between seasons have made everything fuzzy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

I do find it weird that some people don't like BCS because it's "too slow" or whatever but love BB which is also a very slow paced show. That's not a criticism, it's just the style that these two shows have.

It being slow doesn't bother me.

It being boring and uninteresting does.

I know people hated Chuck, but the Jimmy/Chuck dynamic was what drove the show, and with Chuck gone, it's like they are floundering and filling in pre-BB gaps that don't need to be filled.  For example, I find the whole "let's see what went into building the super lab" storyline a total waste of time. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
Last episode was SOOOO good.
I feel bad for Kim, but also for Jimmy the guy it’s tired to be under Chucks shadow

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #664 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
I can do without the Mike's storyline with the German, but the Jimmy/Kim stuff was really good. It was great to finally see them have it out a bit. Should be interesting to see how he gets reinstated now (since we know he does).