Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112913 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #560 on: June 01, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
YES!! Finally!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »
Nice.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2018, 01:18:27 AM »
Great news indeed!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #563 on: June 03, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
After every season people post here hoping there's another, and then celebrate when they find out there will be. Is there really any question about it? At this point I reckon they're going to give Gilligan as many episodes as he wants to make, which they know will only be five or six seasons. Are the ratings bad or something?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 03, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
After every season people post here hoping there's another, and then celebrate when they find out there will be. Is there really any question about it? At this point I reckon they're going to give Gilligan as many episodes as he wants to make, which they know will only be five or six seasons. Are the ratings bad or something?

In my case (and I assume for many others) it's just excitement over finally having a release date. We're verging on almost a year and a half after the first season, so it's just really nice to finally have a premiere date.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #565 on: June 04, 2018, 05:16:00 AM »
Sweeet!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2018, 02:40:53 AM »
In my case (and I assume for many others) it's just excitement over finally having a release date. We're verging on almost a year and a half after the first season, so it's just really nice to finally have a premiere date.

Same.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: July 02, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
Nice, can't wait!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: July 19, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #571 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
Yesssssssss this is going to be amazing. I never, ever thought I'd like the show as much as I do. Written off as a cash grab, and now I'm debating on whether or not I might end up liking it more than BB.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Yeah I was nervous at first but BCS has really turned into something special. It's just quality all around and this season looks like it'll keep that going. Looks like a certain someone is back from BB in that trailer, too, if my eyes don't deceive me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #573 on: July 19, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »
Can't wait to see where they go with this now.  Still a bummer to see Chuck go, but his departure sets the stage for the storyline to really start moving towards Jimmy becoming Saul.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
7 f*cking days!!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #575 on: July 30, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Season 5 already picked up. I recall reading a while back that the original planned run they envisioned was a 5 season run? I wonder if that has changed?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #577 on: July 30, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »
Season 5 already picked up. I recall reading a while back that the original planned run they envisioned was a 5 season run? I wonder if that has changed?

I think Season 5 will be it.  Now that Chuck is dead, I think 4 will speed things up as we see Jimmy start moving towards becoming Saul, with 5 focusing on his complete changeover combined with the current state of his life in Omaha. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #578 on: July 31, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »

I think Season 5 will be it.  Now that Chuck is dead, I think 4 will speed things up as we see Jimmy start moving towards becoming Saul, with 5 focusing on his complete changeover combined with the current state of his life in Omaha.
This is what everybody is looking to see. I don't get it. What more does he need to do to become Saul? Seems to me he's a tacky office, hot girlfriend, and quick name change away from being the same character he always was. The reality is that he's been a criminal lawyer since day one.

Speaking of the hot girlfriend, there are clues throughout that Kim Wexler is originally from Omaha.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #579 on: July 31, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Honestly, I am very interested to see what happens with Saul's post-BB life.  We have just seen tidbits so far, but you know they will give us plenty more before it all ends.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »
This is what everybody is looking to see. I don't get it. What more does he need to do to become Saul? Seems to me he's a tacky office, hot girlfriend, and quick name change away from being the same character he always was. The reality is that he's been a criminal lawyer since day one.

While I agree with what you’re saying....Jimmy still has the tendency to try or want to do the ‘right’ thing at the end of the day. You can sense some remorse in his character. I think Kev’s just talking about him getting to the full blown Saul point of not giving a crap about any of it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #581 on: August 01, 2018, 06:15:16 AM »
Honestly, I am very interested to see what happens with Saul's post-BB life.  We have just seen tidbits so far, but you know they will give us plenty more before it all ends.

This kinda offers some interesting way to look back at his character.

In Breaking Bad Walter White was the protagonist, we followed his journey and while of course some deaths greatly mattered (For anyone living under a rock and still following this thread I'll just name the Ozymandias one), some others were random goons.

Saul was the comic relief, he was there from time to time to do his job, and then he got shipped away to Omaha with a new identity. Ok, Saul at least's gonna get out of there alive, bye bye, now let's focus on the final two episodes ever!

....and then you watch Better Call Saul, and that ending hits you hard. You watch good hearted Jimmy, that for all his mistakes could get his life straight if he'd believe more in his good side, and you know that it's all gonna be in vain and that he's going to hide away from everyone he ever knew to live a life under cover in Omaha. That's quite a terrible fate, even if he got away with his life.

This could be expanded to every other character I guess, for example that chubby dude in the white dress that got shot and killed early in the series, Jesse's friend.... see, I don't even remember his name but in that universe he had a family, friends, people who suffered greatly for his untimely and violent death.

This happens anyway in real life, we concentrate on our friends and family because we cannot grieve for any random kid that gets killed in a faraway country or for a celebrity that passes away, but if we'd get to see the good sides of everyone in the Breaking Bad universe, we'd get the full extent and enormity of all the pain Walter caused more or less indirectly with his actions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #582 on: August 01, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
Well, there's every possibility Wexler is involved, the Omaha thing. There's also a preview clip (which I've been unable to see) of the intro that shows Gene being asked for his driver's license and SS number in the ER, which might be problematic for him. Seems to me that for what they paid they should have been provided proper documentation, but as a plot device it might not be the case.

Perhaps Gene's collapse is the beginning of his own Walter White style breaking bad.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #583 on: August 01, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
Very true.

What was great about Saul on BB was that while, yes, he was comic relief, he could also be very serious and pragmatic when the situation called for it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2018, 04:05:30 AM »
As someone who just finished season 3 and watched the 3 seasons in 2 weeks, I think the whole Chuck/Jimmy sibling relationship is just so fascinating. What makes it great is you can see it from both their sides and completely understand their motivations and actions. Chuck is sort of the Skyler of the show - the "normal" person close to the protagonist making their shady decisions fire back and so you're inclined to dislike them, yet if you try to see it from their side i think their decisions make sense. I think that's something Gilligan does really well is very human characters with flaws who has good sides and bad sides.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #585 on: August 03, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
As someone who just finished season 3 and watched the 3 seasons in 2 weeks, I think the whole Chuck/Jimmy sibling relationship is just so fascinating. What makes it great is you can see it from both their sides and completely understand their motivations and actions. Chuck is sort of the Skyler of the show - the "normal" person close to the protagonist making their shady decisions fire back and so you're inclined to dislike them, yet if you try to see it from their side i think their decisions make sense. I think that's something Gilligan does really well is very human characters with flaws who has good sides and bad sides.
I haven't seen you here in ages. You been around all this time, or did you disappear and return at some point? Maybe it's just the new avatar.

Being able to understand Chuck's point of view, as well as understanding his illness, is what made his character such a phenomenal antagonist. You really hated him for what he did. You really felt bad for him for being nuts. You really understood why he did what he did. This is a Shakespearean level antagonist with a pathos that lays on you like a ton of bricks. I really wanted him to die. I understood why he needed to die. I took zero satisfaction from his death, though. That's some high quality writing and some even better acting.

I watched bits of the final S3 episode the other night, and I've decided that Howard killed Chuck. Mania and Jimmy are both things Chuck had adapted to. Nothing there is going to push him over the edge. Howard shelling out 9 million of his own dollars just to get rid of him was a gut punch that really flattened him, though. You could see him dying as it happened, and while Howard delivered his farewell speech. He was crumbling inside. It was also a remarkable failure on Chuck's part. His reading of the situation with Howard couldn't have been more wrong, and his standard technique for dealing with things like this blew up in his face. He really thought he was going to talk his way out of his trouble and never could have foreseen what actually happened. This was an existential shot to the gut that he was simply not in a position to cope with given the other things in his life.

Howard's been a remarkably understated character. There's a whole lot more going on inside his head that what we've seen. I'm guessing he's a major antagonist going forward, which will be all the more interesting because I think he's sincere when he expresses fondness for Jimmy. It's really the exact opposite of what we've seen up until now. Jimmy looked up to Chuck, who was spiteful and resentful towards him. Howard actually likes Jimmy, yet represents everything that Jimmy aspires not to be.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #586 on: August 03, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »
That's a great point about Howard and his role in Chuck's downfall and death.  The law firm was all he had left, and once that was gone, his will to live seeped out of him. Good call!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #587 on: August 04, 2018, 01:31:19 AM »
It's also interesting to see how Howard was perceived through the series: annoying asshole, suddenly the good guy, then back to asshol-ish again, and then good guy again.

He's another fleshed out character, fondamentally a good person with some flaws and with a huge weight on his shoulder and he tries to deal with adversities the best way he can.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #588 on: August 04, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
It's also interesting to see how Howard was perceived through the series: annoying asshole, suddenly the good guy, then back to asshol-ish again, and then good guy again.

He's another fleshed out character, fondamentally a good person with some flaws and with a huge weight on his shoulder and he tries to deal with adversities the best way he can.
And when he was an asshole to Jimmy it was always because he was being the bad cop for Chuck. At the same time he was also often an asshole to Kim, and there's no basis for that. I really have no idea at all what makes Howard tick. What I do know is that there's six million bucks that will come into play in the next season. Chuck would never have left any part of his estate to Jimmy, that much is for sure, so I'm not sure what Jimmy's involvement in that will be, but there has to be some thorny issue that arises because of it.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: August 05, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »
Really enjoyed reading all of these comments.

Watched the final three episodes of Season 3 again this morning.  One of the many things I love about the show is the pace, somewhat like savoring the aromas of a long prepared meal, and then having your patience overwhelmingly rewarded with the results, as opposed to microwaved or McDonald's offerings.

From the previews, I am bracing myself for a much more BB type of violent season.  Not sure how I feel about that, but it was inevitable.  We'll just have to follow the 'In Vince We Trust' mantra.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: August 06, 2018, 10:07:10 AM »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
Great return! And that last scene.....wow. Talk about a change in demeanor.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:11 AM »
It's nice to finally have the show back. I thought that was a good opener. I loved how Jimmy handled the situation with Chuck... especially when he walked away from the phone call with Howard. Great to see Gus and Nacho in the first episode, my guess is that this season will heat up fast. Mike was great as he always is  :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: August 07, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
It's nice to finally have the show back. I thought that was a good opener. I loved how Jimmy handled the situation with Chuck... especially when he walked away from the phone call with Howard. Great to see Gus and Nacho in the first episode, my guess is that this season will heat up fast. Mike was great as he always is  :biggrin:

Took me a bit to figure out what he was doing. Then I realized that he's the type of guy who can't accept $$$ without 'earning' it. After that it was neat to watch him do what he was doing.

and I've decided that Howard killed Chuck.

EB nailed it and the season opening episode solidified it. What was eerie was just how quickly Jimmy turned the page after the revelation/realization was made that it WAS Howard who ultimately pushed Chuck over the edge.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: August 07, 2018, 07:34:33 AM »
^^ As soon as he said, "Well Howard, that's your cross to bear" and got up and fed the fish, got some coffee etc. with a whistle, I said to myself, "That right there is him becoming Saul." I could see it in his mannerisms and attitude. Letting someone else take all the blame for something and not letting it bother him, because Howard was convinced it was his fault anyway. I could be wrong, but I think we'll see a big shift in Jimmy this season, possibly finally adopting the 'Saul' moniker?