Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112874 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #490 on: June 14, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
^
I was going to say the exact same thing, but was at a hotel computer that did not allow me to log in.

Walt's killings of the most loyal group that Mike had surrounded himself with was .....well, the worst.  THAT was the moment I totally lost any 'cheering' for Mr. White.

As to Jimmy....was it weak writing or something else regarding Irene?  Surely, he could have had Ernesto or the nerdy prosecutor friend go to her, with a fellow elderly person to convince her to ask for something NOW?

The scene with Kim:  there are so many lawyer ads that have that same view from the passenger seat, that I was semi screaming 'NO! NO! NO!' she can't frickin die.  And then the aftermath.  That was well done x10. 

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy....why can't you help Kim staple for eff sake?  Howard:  said all we have wanted to say for all three seasons, but you let Erin hog all the settlement stuff, hoping the benefactors would croak before receiving their well deserved benefits.

'Lantern' is next.  And is it for another season.

Loved all of the background music.  Listened to 'Baby Blue' as I wrote this.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »
The body that Mike found in the desert was [spoiler alert]

the Good Samaritan that found the driver that Mike had hogtied and duct taped when he cut the tires and found the money inside the one wheel well (he was going to shoot Hector later on when they shot and buried the truck driver)

This was the first episode I did not get to see for a repeat after its original airing.

As to the episode, as Franshesca would chokingly say ....(gasp) "Smooth."

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #492 on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
If their goal was to make us not like Jimmy anymore, they succeeded admirably.  What he did to Irene was absolutely despicable, possibly worse than anything Walt ever did on BB.

Despicable yeah, but not worse than the orchestrated murder of 10 inmates or whatever it was.

I am looking at it in relative terms.  Killing people is worse than conning an elderly woman and making her lose her friends, yes, but Mike's guys in prison that Walt had taken out were all bad guys/criminals.  Not that that makes it okay, but I am just saying, what Jimmy did to was at the expense of an elderly woman who appears to be a very nice lady, and might have to spend the rest of her days alone because Jimmy turned all of her friends against her.  There is no way to sugarcoat how awful that is.

Walt's killings of the most loyal group that Mike had surrounded himself with was .....well, the worst.  THAT was the moment I totally lost any 'cheering' for Mr. White.

You are kidding with the loyal group comment, right?

First off, Chris was taking Lydia's money to kill everyone else on the list PLUS Mike.  Yep, real loyal.

Second, Dan the lawyer was flipping on all of them in the Say My Name episode.  Again, real loyal.

Lastly, Dennis (from the laundry) was ready to flip on all of them as well, before Hank blew him off to go "rattle some cages."  Again, real loyal.

So yeah, let's not romanticize a bunch of criminals and act like there was all of this honor among thieves.  The second anything went bad for any of them, they were ready to turn on everyone else.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:47 PM »
deleted because I was an a-hole
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:01:26 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2017, 01:27:50 AM »
From a viewer's perspective, neither of those two incidents really did a lot to me. The murdering of those people in jail had no impact on me whatsoever, because they were minor characters anyway. What Saul did to Irene felt worse though, because she really is an innocent woman. You could by the way 'Jimmy' handled it that he did not like his own actions.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: June 15, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »
^
Yes, it felt worse, because, after all, we like Jimmy.

Or, I should say, we used to like Jimmy up until this episode.

This whole thing somewhat speaks for society, does it not?  A thousand people die in a distant corner of the land in a foreign country, and we are 'damn, that's a pity.'  A dog that was a great companion to a neighbor or nearby friend that is horribly beaten and/or killed, and we are up in arms.

such is life

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: June 15, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
Having a bunch of people murdered is definetely so very much worse, but I also agree that the Irene thing felt worse. Probably because I think few people can actually grasp the concept of a murder fully. Of course we know it's bad, but it's so foreign and almost mythical to most of us that it's difficult to comprehend. The fear of losing your friends and the affirmation you get through them though, I imagine that hits real close to home for almost everyone. That's probably why it feels worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #497 on: June 15, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »
You are always so quick to cut down others opinions to shreds, whether it is music or TV shows, aren't you?

:facepalm:

I was not cutting your opinion down; I was disagreeing with it, and explained why.  Sorry for going into detail on a discussion forum and trying to inspire more discussion. ;)

From a viewer's perspective, neither of those two incidents really did a lot to me. The murdering of those people in jail had no impact on me whatsoever, because they were minor characters anyway. What Saul did to Irene felt worse though, because she really is an innocent woman. You could by the way 'Jimmy' handled it that he did not like his own actions.

Well said.

Having a bunch of people murdered is definetely so very much worse, but I also agree that the Irene thing felt worse. Probably because I think few people can actually grasp the concept of a murder fully. Of course we know it's bad, but it's so foreign and almost mythical to most of us that it's difficult to comprehend. The fear of losing your friends and the affirmation you get through them though, I imagine that hits real close to home for almost everyone. That's probably why it feels worse.

Great post.  :tup :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #498 on: June 15, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
You could by the way 'Jimmy' handled it that he did not like his own actions.
Indeed, and that's also what makes it so interesting and emotionally difficult. Jimmy wants to do right, but has reached the point where he's no longer willing to be pushed around. And so though he hates doing it, he's willing to hurt others to protect himself. The way the show has been exploring his journey is brilliant.

Whereas Walt was kind of a dick from season 1, so while some things were shocking (like trying to have the little kid killed) it didn't have much emotional impact as I never liked him in the first place.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #499 on: June 15, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
Whereas Walt was kind of a dick from season 1, so while some things were shocking (like trying to have the little kid killed) it didn't have much emotional impact as I never liked him in the first place.

Totally agree with this. I really loved how great a job Cranston did portraying Walt....but as a character I never felt any sort of 'sympathy' towards him or the trials he faced because.....as the first line of the song in the last scene very accurately states......he indeed got what he deserved. Not only in the end but in every instance of that show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #500 on: June 15, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »

Totally agree with this. I really loved how great a job Cranston did portraying Walt....but as a character I never felt any sort of 'sympathy' towards him or the trials he faced because.....as the first line of the song in the last scene very accurately states......he indeed got what he deserved. Not only in the end but in every instance of that show.
Hang on, didn't you only start watching it like a week ago? :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: June 15, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

Watched all (62) episodes in 13 days  :omg:   It took some effort and a TON of lost sleep.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »

Watched all (62) episodes in 13 days  :omg:   It took some effort and a TON of lost sleep.

I thought about your post while watching the Hotels.com commercial about binge watching tv shows
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »

I thought about your post while watching the Hotels.com commercial about binge watching tv shows

The 'negative' about binge watching a series as good as BB is that although I enjoyed it immensely I feel like there are moments/areas that I just didn't appreciate fully...parts of the story that were just incredible tend to blend all together when it's watched like that. I think had I a bit more time between episodes it'd have been even greater a show. But all in all I loved it...such a well written/acted show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
With Walt, I feel that Gilligan held back a little when it came to how far he had his character go, when you think of what his original intentions were (Mr Chips into Scarface).  I think he realized at some point that Walt was still pretty likable to a lot of fans and never really had him go over the edge to where he was completely unlikable.  For example, had he, I don't think we would have seen Walt go out of his way to try and save Hank's life like he did and then show genuine remorse over his death.  For all he did wrong, Walt did plenty right as well, and we often saw the very human side of Walter White.  Plus, his motivation was made clear from the start: a guy who felt he had wasted his life, gets diagnosed with cancer, and then acts out.  Walt's biggest deadly seven was always pride.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: June 19, 2017, 10:04:23 PM »
Wow. What an ending  :omg:

Really hope season three is picked up.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #506 on: June 19, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
Excellent finale and even if the show doesn't comeback I think it would make for a decent stopping point. Have to give props again to the editors of this show, they way they unfold events and peel off the layers on each episode is fantastic.

I will be super sad if the show doesn't come back for a 4th season but keeping my fingers crossed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #507 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »
Got my hopes up big time. Trying to avoid spoiler, for I won't be able to watch it until the end of the week.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline faizoff

« Reply #508 on: June 20, 2017, 04:32:40 AM »
I think as far as finales go, it's a typical BCS finale where it's less about being a dramatic finale and more tying up storylines of the season. Though I think I'd have to say this season finale is probably the most dramatic among the three.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: June 20, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »
It's gonna be some beautiful irony when Jimmy gets most or all of that 3 million dollars that Howard gave Chuck (if Chuck dies, and assuming he cashed the check).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »
Excellent finale and even if the show doesn't comeback I think it would make for a decent stopping point. Have to give props again to the editors of this show, they way they unfold events and peel off the layers on each episode is fantastic.

Yeah. I mean, they set up the 'reason' why Jimmy goes 'all in' on Saul Goodman with the brutal conversation that he and Chuck had. We saw Hector have his stroke....Mike is 'in' with Gus now....the only thing really left would be to show what happened between Jimmy and Kim.

It's gonna be some beautiful irony when Jimmy gets most or all of that 3 million dollars that Howard gave Chuck (if Chuck dies, and assuming he cashed the check).

It's certainly set up that way...

BTW...did anyone else feel extremely bad for Chuck as they showed him just fall off the deep end? I know the dude was a grade A D-Bag and all, especially after what he said to Jimmy but that was brutal to watch him go insane basically. It was like all that craziness he'd been holding back to try and prove he was fine just unleashed and he finally went off the deep end.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: June 20, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »

BTW...did anyone else feel extremely bad for Chuck as they showed him just fall off the deep end? I know the dude was a grade A D-Bag and all, especially after what he said to Jimmy but that was brutal to watch him go insane basically. It was like all that craziness he'd been holding back to try and prove he was fine just unleashed and he finally went off the deep end.

Although there are times where it was tough, I've always felt a little bad for Chuck.  Let's face it, the guy is mentally ill. 

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy seeing Howard stick it to him last night.

And Jimmy redeemed himself well with the Irene situation, making them all hate him just so she gets her friends back.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
Forgot to mention also the actor they cast to play a young Chuck that read that story to a young Jimmy freaking NAILED Michael McKeans speech pattern as the 'old' Chuck. It was uncanny.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
I think the creative team that Vince surrounds himself is truly gifted and always bring out some amazing performances and excellent character arcs. I appreciate and notice it a lot more on repeated viewings. Every episode is a joy to rewatch, be it BCS or BB.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #514 on: June 21, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
That was some stellar writing there in that final episode, with an absolute highlight in Michael McKean's performance. The way he portrays Chuck I always found great, but there were moments in this last season where he really excelled, this episode being one of them.

BTW...did anyone else feel extremely bad for Chuck as they showed him just fall off the deep end?

Yes, I did indeed, though I saw it coming the moment he began tearing down the house.

---

I'm bummed we didn't get to see wheelchair Hector yet, but Nacho is going to be in some big trouble. There's no way the hospital won't find out that Hector's been poisoned.

---

Jimmy's act of redemption literally made my eyes water (though I'm ridiculously tired as well) - great stuff from him to act up on his own mistakes.

---

At the end of the episode I realised the beginning might have been in some way significant to the rest of the episode. It felt so disjointed, but there's a lantern in that tent. I'll have to rewatch to see if the dialogue in that scene is of any special meaning.

---

Season 4 please! Renew that stuff, you can't end it here :(
Squ

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #515 on: June 21, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

I'm bummed we didn't get to see wheelchair Hector yet, but Nacho is going to be in some big trouble. There's no way the hospital won't find out that Hector's been poisoned.

I thought that the Nacho switched out the actual medicine for placebos, so that he just wouldn't have his medicine when the next attack came along. And then Nacho got the opportunity to switch the pills back in the aftermath of the episode and Hector dropping the bottle in the dirt. I think Nacho should be free and clear.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #516 on: June 21, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »
People are talking as though season 4 might be canned. Is that really even remotely likely?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #517 on: June 21, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
People are talking as though season 4 might be canned. Is that really even remotely likely?

Nope, read an interview with Gilligan and Peter Gould yesterday where they basically say that the delay is just due to some recent turnover at Sony, but they fully anticipate getting another season.

edit: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/better-call-saul-season-3-finale-explained-1015384
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #518 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »
Glad to read that Vince Gilligan is confident of a renewal

We know you're not ending the series here. We know the show does well for AMC. What is the holdup on the official renewal for a fourth season?

Gilligan: Honestly, it's obviously not a secret that Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht left Sony TV and there's just a little bit of reorganizing going at Sony, but the ship, there's still folks at the tiller and and it's just a matter of  … Who the f— knows? (Laughs.) It's gonna be fine. The timing was a bit unfortunate in that there's a little bit of stuff up in the air over at Sony, but it'll all get worked out. A couple of good guys left Sony, but there's a lot of good people still at Sony and it'll all get worked out. We're going forward with the certainty that there is gonna be more and it's just a matter of logistics as to when, exactly, it gets going. We're not worried. I say that having absolutely been worried in the past. I'm [not] worried at all right now. We're gonna forward. There will be a season four. The only question is when will it go on air.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #519 on: June 21, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »

I thought that the Nacho switched out the actual medicine for placebos, so that he just wouldn't have his medicine when the next attack came along. And then Nacho got the opportunity to switch the pills back in the aftermath of the episode and Hector dropping the bottle in the dirt. I think Nacho should be free and clear.

Of course, but those doctors will find out that Hector has been poisoned regardless. Somebody is going to point fingers in some direction, though it could go either way.

Never mind, it just occurred to me that he didn't need to have been poisoned. Merely remove the working component of his heart medicine would of course be enough.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:05:57 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: June 21, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

Yeah. They were placebos and he made the switch. But, it looked like Gus was on to him....at least thrnlook Gus gave him gave me that impression.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #521 on: June 21, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
Glad to read that Vince Gilligan is confident of a renewal

We know you're not ending the series here. We know the show does well for AMC. What is the holdup on the official renewal for a fourth season?

Gilligan: Honestly, it's obviously not a secret that Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht left Sony TV and there's just a little bit of reorganizing going at Sony, but the ship, there's still folks at the tiller and and it's just a matter of  … Who the f— knows? (Laughs.) It's gonna be fine. The timing was a bit unfortunate in that there's a little bit of stuff up in the air over at Sony, but it'll all get worked out. A couple of good guys left Sony, but there's a lot of good people still at Sony and it'll all get worked out. We're going forward with the certainty that there is gonna be more and it's just a matter of logistics as to when, exactly, it gets going. We're not worried. I say that having absolutely been worried in the past. I'm [not] worried at all right now. We're gonna forward. There will be a season four. The only question is when will it go on air.

They had best start shooting right away, before Jonathan Banks looks even older.  :lol :lol

If Season 4 does end up being the last scene, I hope the storyline has a little more urgency.  I was bored to tears at times these last few episodes. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #522 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
Wow, I think the slow pace is actually one of BCS's biggest charms.
Squ

Offline faizoff

« Reply #523 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:02 PM »
Yup I understand that not everyone likes the slow pace, I personally am fine with it.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #524 on: June 22, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »
The slow pace is alright but sometimes it really gets waaaaaay too slow. The episode after Chicanery was an example imo, was bored to tears during that one.