Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112997 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #455 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »
Welp....I've taken the plunge. As i type Walter has just collapsed at the car wash, got a scan and just been told he has lung cancer.

:tup :tup

Expect many late nights now, as you won't be able to stop watching. :coolio

Offline faizoff

« Reply #456 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
Welp....I've taken the plunge. As i type Walter has just collapsed at the car wash, got a scan and just been told he has lung cancer.

My wife once watched 14 episodes in one day of breaking bad when she started the binge. You're in for an amazing ride and in my humble opinion, I personally feel every season gets better than the previous. That's why I rank the final season as my absolute favorite with the last three episodes possibly one of the best in TV history.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »

Late night #1......it's 1:00am......got through the first three episodes and had to force myself to stop.

I can already see why Brian Cranston won so many Awards just three episodes in. Can't wait to watch that character grow. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »

Late night #1......it's 1:00am......got through the first three episodes and had to force myself to stop.

I can already see why Brian Cranston won so many Awards just three episodes in. Can't wait to watch that character grow.

You ain't see nothin' yet. :hat

Although the first three episodes sucked me in immediately.  The way the Crazy-8 storyline played out over those episodes was magnificent.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2017, 03:54:25 AM »
Back to BCS......there was no way that the recent episode could match the buildup and intensity for 'Conspiracy'.  But I think we all needed some fun and change of pace.

That said, it involved so many scenes, many characters, tons of building blocks and 'fan service' moments (Crazy 8, Lydia, the playground, the laundromat...).  We learn more about yet another character (Nacho), something Gilligan is so good at.  There was comic relief with Odenkirk shining while calling clients.  I especially love how Chuck and Howard get two sheets to the wind, and then the wonderfully filmed segment of Chuck in his Jiffy Pop hoodie on the streets of ABQ.  I always enjoy the appearances of the 'Abbey Road Gang'. 

Oh, and the character people have been waiting for finally appears, but with a twist.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2017, 06:06:52 AM »
Those who have only see BCS, but not BB, haven't really seen the "circus clown" act of Jimmy/Saul yet, but the commercial, for them, was the first glimpse into that. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »

There's a bit in an episode of Freaks and Geeks where a Deadhead is talking to one of the main characters and says that she wishes she had never heard American Beauty so she could hear it again for the first time. Breaking Bad is a show I feel that way about, enjoy the ride :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: May 18, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Those who have only see BCS, but not BB, haven't really seen the "circus clown" act of Jimmy/Saul yet, but the commercial, for them, was the first glimpse into that.

I was talking to my brother (who has seen BB) and the 'birth' of Saul Goodman seemed a bit anti climactic. Very subdued and nonchalant which seems very appropriate. It's great that it wasn't some huge deal but just an off the cuff shoot from the hip moment from Jimmy

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
'It's just a name.'
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
I really enjoyed the introduction of Saul being such a "subtle" moment.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #465 on: May 20, 2017, 03:25:18 AM »
Honestly, that last episode didn't do a whole lot for me. It left the viewer hanging on quite a lot of things, namely:

- the cold-open was pretty disgusting, with Hector forcing Nacho to beat up Krazy-8 and then Nacho hrting himself with the sowing machine. I was having dinner while watching that; not a great combination.
- alright, we got to see the laundry (what was Lydia doing there?), but the rest of that scene was rather pointless
- Chuck and Howard want to 'move on', but Chuck walking around the city with his tinfoil suit doesn't exactly make him look smart. He's clearly distraught about the outcome of the court case and is probably questioning his own sanity. The end of the scene - him calling his former doctor - is again an unresolved plotline
- the fuck is Nacho going to do with that pill? Obviously he's not going to drag his father into Hector's drug business, but Nacho was not featured in Breaking Bad. Something is bound to go wrong between him and 'Don' Hector. I found Hector's personality not very convincing here - why would he want to have innocent civilians (ie Nacho's father) operating for him?
- the first airing of 'Saul Goodman' was pretty funny, but I wonder how Jimmy is going to spend his time for the next 12 months.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
I think most episodes leave the viewer hanging on some things. That's why there are new episodes and new seasons and that's why the story moves forward and things are explained. If everything was so obvious and all the answers were there, there wouldn't be any reason to make a new episode or to keep watching the show.

The point of the first scene was actually to show how stressful Nacho's job is becoming and what sort of things he has to do. It shows the pressure is growing and the scene with the sewing machine shows just that. The stress, the pressure. I don't think it was disgusting. They didn't even show him beating the guy. Tuco's scene beating Mike was much more violent and they showed everything. The directors and creators of the show are innocent that you were having dinner while you were watching or that you were digusted, because it is completely subjective. That scene was surely not done with the purpose of causing disgust to the viewer.

but the rest of that scene was rather pointless
The fact that you (or anyone) don't understand the point of a scene, doesn't make it pointless. There are so many (apparently) pointless scene in Game of Thrones, for example, that the viewer will only understand the purpose of them seasons later.

Like I said, if the series was over right now, then yea, that scene with Lydia and other scenes would have been pointless, but I think you want answers too fast. If you don't understand something or if you are asking questions, isn't it a good sign? Isn't it better than the show and the story being too obvious?

why would he want to have innocent civilians (ie Nacho's father) operating for him?
I think it is pretty clear why, if you have been watching the show. Mike sabotaged his trucks, he lost people, Gus is doing better than him, he is in a desperate situation. Do you really think people in that kind of business give a shit about their employers' father, specially when they are in such a situation and when a lot of money is involved? He just wants a new way to get his drugs into the country and that's it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:35:37 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: May 22, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
5/22 episode....for the first time I'm ticked with the show.  The 'characters' are that.....'characters'.  Bringing in the Sklar brothers ruined that for us.   Other than that....another very good episode.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #468 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
I don't even know who the Sklar brothers are, but that was a really good episode. 

Fantastic put-on by Jimmy at the end there to try and take down Chuck. 

Great to see the return of that dope who loves his baseball cards. :lol :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #469 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
I love that Jimmy has no remorse towards Chuck while Kim is feeling the opposite and has the guilt of trying to put on a show to convince Chuck is evil. All in all I'm also thinking the journey to a full fledged Saul Goodman is going to be less dramatic than I thought and will be over money or some other trivial reason rather than something abrupt. Just 3 more episodes left and the other storyline with Gus/Salamanca/Nacho/Mike is getting super interesting.

And that Richie Blackmore part was hilarious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Jimmy's film crew is hysterical.  That little scramble they did to get in the car after putting the wheelchair in the trunk had my stomach hurting with laughter.  It was like a 3 second shot of them all trying not to trip over one another. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
Also the scene with Nacho waiting in the darkness after pharma boy takes forever to enter was so hilariously setup. The show is great with those kind of gags.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: May 24, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
And that Richie Blackmore part was hilarious.

"I weep for the future generations."  :D

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Fantastic put-on by Jimmy at the end there to try and take down Chuck. 

Indeed! At first I had no idea what was happening, but then it dawned on me.

Overall, this was another weird episode with lots of stuff happening simultaneously (and Gus, nor Chuck receiving any air-time).
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
I think that was a legitimate breakdown by Jimmy, who was wore down over the course of the episode by how much of a struggle every thing has become, but he managed to still manipulate the situation by slipping in the stuff about Chuck to make the insurance company raise their eyebrows.  Brilliant.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
I think that was a legitimate breakdown by Jimmy, who was wore down over the course of the episode by how much of a struggle every thing has become, but he managed to still manipulate the situation by slipping in the stuff about Chuck to make the insurance company raise their eyebrows.  Brilliant.

Yep. This. I think he lost it for a moment but then steered it to his benefit.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »
I actually thought the same thing, because the first moments in the sobbing scene looked so sincere - and then came slippin' Jimmy, when he realised that insurance employee was too hellbent on rules. He could actually use her persistence to deal more damage to his brother.
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #477 on: May 29, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
I thought the entire thing was a setup. Giving his name at the beginning simply as McGill so that he could correct the woman when she asked "Charles?" seemed intentional, so that she would already know his brother was a lawyer with their company when he later started to mention his problems. Much more discreet than later saying "My brother has mental issues, oh by the way he's also a lawyer insured by you".

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #478 on: May 31, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
I just found out there was no new episode this week. Why could that be?
Squ

Offline faizoff

« Reply #479 on: June 01, 2017, 03:46:54 AM »
It was memorial day weekend which is probably why there was no episode. I was bummed as well.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
Glad we had a break, since there's only two left this year.

I stay up and watch the repeat every week.  Yet another top notch episode. 

btw, if I'm a basketball coach, and the game's on the line in the final seconds, I want Nacho shooting the free throws. Mr. Clutch.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #481 on: June 06, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »
Haha yeah Nacho was clutch at crunch time. Another great episode again, Jimmy morphing towards Saul, Mike and Gus aligning with each other. Chuck is beginning to turn a new leaf I suppose. Just two more episodes left and I'm sure they'll be great.

Jimmy playing Smoke on the water while on his back was gold.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »
Feeling really bad for Kim right now. I was confused about the significance of the scene of her getting stuck then almost hitting the oil rig, but now realize it was foreshadowing of her getting in an accident.

Loved Jimmy's 'game' to get pressure on the old lady to settle....and am curious about Chuck v Hamlin.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »
Jimmy was really slimy towards Irene and man is he becoming for of his old con man self and easily delving into Saul Goodman territory. The last scene with Kim was brilliantly edited, I knew something was definitely going to happen but it being so sudden was such an accurate description of micro sleeps. What an awesome episode and just one more to go for the season. The show hasn't been renewed yet and I'm hoping this wont be the last. I can't imagine them not getting renewals but it not having happened already is a little concerning.
I don't think this will be the last season, if anything it may come back with an even shorter run of episodes to tie up the series.

It would be  a crying shame if it were to end, the 3 seasons so far have been some absolutely amazing TV.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
I can't imagine they wouldn't at least give them a chance to tie the series up....at minimum (6) episodes but certainly for what that team has done for AMC with BB they 'deserve' to get the chance to tell the full story.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »
If their goal was to make us not like Jimmy anymore, they succeeded admirably.  What he did to Irene was absolutely despicable, possibly worse than anything Walt ever did on BB.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
I agree that the way to portray Kim's accident was a great choice. Probably the best way to make us feel as much as her as possible.

I'm pretty nervous about next week's episode. It feels like a whole bunch of things are right on the verge of going really wrong for people.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »
I read that next week's episode (the season finale) is the first time that an episode was not given to critics ahead of time for them to review, so it makes me think a lot of shit is going to hit the fan.

Offline j

« Reply #488 on: June 14, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
If their goal was to make us not like Jimmy anymore, they succeeded admirably.  What he did to Irene was absolutely despicable, possibly worse than anything Walt ever did on BB.

Despicable yeah, but not worse than the orchestrated murder of 10 inmates or whatever it was.  Looking forward to the season finale!

-J

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #489 on: June 14, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »

Really? What he did was despicable, sure, but it didn't affect me nearly as much as some of the stuff that happened on BB.

I'm pretty nervous about next week's episode. It feels like a whole bunch of things are right on the verge of going really wrong for people.

Yup, a lot of stuff to happen (and to go wrong as well). Especially Howard seems to get a lot of shit over him lately, while I've never viewed him as a 'bad' person. If anything, he's probably the most honest and integer character on the show.

There's a couple of things that need to be exlained or happen still:
- what the hell was that body Mike found in Episode 8 (and what was he looking for)? (nvm, just realised that he was probably looking for the innocent guy that got killed)
- Hector has to end up in a wheelchair
- Nacho is probably going to end up dead (as he had no role in BB)

And with all the other stuff leading up to Jimmy becoming Saul, there's no way that can all be fit into one episode. There has to be another season. (Please?)
Squ