Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112945 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:14 AM »
I disagree with pretty much everything you just said, so I guess let's agree to disagree. :lol The only specific point I'll make is that nothing Jimmy has done could reasonably be seen as putting Chuck's life in danger.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »
I'm not really looking for agreement anyway.  I think the TV show is cool because it creates a lot of grey.  So the viewers will have different takes.  It is fun to talk about.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
Chucks an asshole who is obviously crazy and envious of jimmy.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2016, 06:46:54 AM »
Didn't love the finale. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't the best episode of the season. And I stand by my post above that Chuck is an asshole and is acting like a little bitch. I read IGN's review of the episode and I agree with their statement that Chuck is the most despicable villain in the Breaking Bad/BCS universe.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »
Saw Chuck's 'moment' from a mile away.  But, it was still quite an ending.  He has 'Slippin' Jimmy' in his blood as well, but with hate and malice.

Mike's note was the big unexpected moment of the show.

Yeah, I actually thought to myself when he was digging through the trunk with chop sticks that he was looking for a recorder....then once he started in the way he did on Jimmy it was pretty obvious he was playing to Jimmy's weakness to always 'protect' and care for him.

and that note to Mike....I've never watched BB so I don't know if that'd had been from a character from that show that is to come or not....still pretty chilling being that Mike seemingly always has the upper hand.

You have 41+ weeks to watch BB until Season 3 of BCS ;)

Seriously:  we had a friend who pushed that show on us, and am so glad she did. 

As to Jimmy and Chuck:  Jimmy sees people who are wronged, feels it in his heart, and tries to right it. 

Chuck:  all cold, calculated ego and business, with a vendetta.  So what if he knows that Kim was wronged, treated like dirt (he was cold to her as well, but got her out of the dungeon).....it was all about ego and sticking it to his brother's friend when he helped take back Mesa Verda.

The Walter White moment:  take a job with Grey Matter, have insurance for treatments......show is over.
Chuck:  let Kim have Mesa Verda, and move on.

And yet, one of the most sympathetic 'villians' ever created.  We winced while he was in the ER and during the CATscan. 

As to the finale:  The penultimate episodes tend to be the 'best', with the last one more of a next season opener.  But always with a twist.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
I read IGN's review of the episode and I agree with their statement that Chuck is the most despicable villain in the Breaking Bad/BCS universe.

They didn't say villain, they just said "character", which I disagree wholeheartedly with. Marie was a thousand times more annoying than Chuck has ever been.

Calvin6s

« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
The Walter White moment:  take a job with Grey Matter, have insurance for treatments......show is over.
Are you suggesting that Chuck is the Walter White role and Jimmy is the Jesse role?  Interesting.

But I have another moment for you:
Jimmy:  let Kim take new position at Schweikart & Cokely.  Mesa Verde stays at HHM and gets properly serviced.  Kim takes a huge leap in her career and becomes the attorney she was meant to be.  The ugly events thereafter never happen.

But that is drama.  If people didn't make bad decisions, there would be no drama.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
Didn't love the finale. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't the best episode of the season. And I stand by my post above that Chuck is an asshole and is acting like a little bitch. I read IGN's review of the episode and I agree with their statement that Chuck is the most despicable villain in the Breaking Bad/BCS universe.

Sounds to me like some are you are caught up in the moment. ;)

Chuck is worse than Gus? 

Worse than Jack?

Worst than Todd??

No freaking way.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
I loved the season through and through. Great final episode. It wasn't overly overdramatic and one of those now typical "we gotta have flare and explosions and fuck everything up because FINALE" episodes but it shot the story forward and set up for some amazing things in the future, which is what a good finale should do. I'll just echo the statements made on Chuck with one amendment in that the only reason he's a wee bit more despicable than Jimmy is that he is deluded in thinking he is "better", by that I mean morally, emotionally, intellectually. They're brothers in every sense of the word going beyond blood; they're the same, it's just that Chuck plays the system from within and with the parameters of the law in mind instead of saying fuck it.

But I loved everything. Once again though, my absolute favorite facet of the season was Mike's story and the characters surrounding him. Ignacio is really something and is very interesting as the bad guy with a smidgen of good ("good" might be pushing it, more like "leniency/mercy/logic"). But overall it was just a super sweet cherry on top of an already fantastic peach cobbler (cause fuck cake). Can't wait for the next season!

Oh and the homages and nods to BB were just fucking beautifully done and really satisfying as a BB addict. They were quick, to the point, weren't thrown in our faces or done without reason and were just totally great.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2016, 11:56:12 PM »

Sounds to me like some are you are caught up in the moment. ;)

Chuck is worse than Gus? 

Worse than Jack?

Worst than Todd??

No freaking way.
Those characters are different. Maybe "most despicable" isn't the right phrase, but all those characters are brutal, heartless killers, but for business reasons. What they do is illegal and wrong, but there's a simple logic to it as they do it for their own benefit. Whereas Chuck's actions are personal - treating Jimmy like shit doesn't benefit him or anyone else. He just does it because he doesn't like Jimmy and has an unreasonable grudge against him.

So while those you listed are worse people, they're far more likeable. Chuck is just all-round awful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: April 26, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
Are you suggesting that Chuck is the Walter White role and Jimmy is the Jesse role?  Interesting.

But I have another moment for you:
Jimmy:  let Kim take new position at Schweikart & Cokely.  Mesa Verde stays at HHM and gets properly serviced.  Kim takes a huge leap in her career and becomes the attorney she was meant to be.  The ugly events thereafter never happen.

But that is drama.  If people didn't make bad decisions, there would be no drama.

That would work as well.  I kept hoping that Jimmy becoming Saul was from being backed into a corner, or just saying 'eff it'...due to events beyond his control,....not from things he had a hand in to a certain degree. 

btw...I never thought of Chuck as the 'Walter White', but now that you mentioned it, it does kinda fit.  Good point!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:50:50 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #397 on: January 15, 2017, 03:55:40 AM »
While marketing-wise it makes sense to tease Gus' return, I would have preferred for him to appear unannounced and out of the blue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
The first letters from last season's episodes spelled out 'Fring's Back', so this just confirmed it....and the ad gave me and my wife such a huge smile.  We're starting our rewatch of Season 2 in a couple of weeks.  This will add to the enjoyment.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:28:42 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't know that they would have been able to keep his return a secret even if they wanted to. Very much looking forward to season 3 though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #400 on: January 16, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
In season two there were many hints to Gus' presence and I think it was inevitable given that Mike works for him in Breaking Bad so I don't know if it was really a surprise but more of an eventuality.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Yeah there was zero surprise potential, the creators and producers were talking about this before the show even started. Super excited to see it becoming a reality and I am way overdue for more Saul. I'm absolutely going to rewatch the first two seasons though, I've only had one go at both of them and need to refresh myself and dive into the world again.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »
Well, he's back!

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, the after show 'forum', and then the episode again. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Finally got around to seeing this. I liked it, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
Saw it yesterday, nice to have the show back.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »
I loved the whole scene of Jimmy bursting into Chucks house literally seconds after Chuck promised Howard he would do it.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Why the fuck is Chuck such an insane, despicable asshole?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »

I think it boils down to the fact that he knows Jimmie is smarter than him and is a better person than he is.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #408 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
I think there has to be more to it than simply jealousy, although lots of stuff portrayed in the series (flashbacks as well) really do make it seem as such. But often I just really feel like Chuck is a bad person, despite (or beyond) being jealous. The scene in which their mother died (flashback, season 2?) comes to mind, but also the scene in which Saul/Jimmy goes out for dinner at Chuck's place when he was still married. He's just an asshole all the way.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #409 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »

I think it boils down to the fact that he knows Jimmie is smarter than him and is a better person than he is.

I am not sure I agree with either of those.

If you watch BB, you will see that Jimmy/Saul is not a better person than Chuck (unless Chuck at some point has no problem recommending prison shankings :lol).

As for who is smarter, that is hard to say. Chuck is obviously brilliant, and for all of his behavior directed towards Jimmy, he is mostly right about him.  Jimmy is just much more likable, not to mention being the show's protagonist, so we are basically programmed to like Jimmy and hate Chuck.

All that aside, terrific episode last night.   Howard sneaking through the backyard was hysterical, it was good to see some new/old faces (Gus, Victor, Francesca), and since we know Kim and Chuck do not make it to BB, I can't wait to see what their character arcs are.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #410 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
The first two episodes have been fantastic so far. I'm getting really spoiled with the TV shows on so far, The Leftovers, Veep, Fargo & Better Call Saul all have been stellar so far. With Silicon Valley returning this sunday I can't wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
Did anyone see Episode 3 yet? I won't go into details (because, you know, spoilers), but some interesting things are set in motion. While the first two episodes were slightly slow (even for BCS standards), there's a bunch of stuff happening in this one.
Squ

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
Yeah, really enjoyed this week's episode. Funny seeing how the pre-credits scene tied back into what happened later in the episode.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
Yeah, really enjoyed this week's episode. Funny seeing how the pre-credits scene tied back into what happened later in the episode.

As soon as I saw the shoes I knew it was a setup like how they would do in breaking bad. Awesome episode as always. I love the Gus & Mike scenes and can't wait for the eventual working together arrangement. I really wonder what Vince and company have in store for the show and the part that's set in the present, l really wonder if they'll explore more breaking bad territory post Walter White. I'm guessing they'll want to do 3, maybe 4, more seasons and call it quits so I'm curious how it goes.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #414 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:29 AM »
Actually the more I think of it, that opening scene might be set in the breaking bad timeline after Mike is in a shootout in the Los pollos truck since that's what drives by. Plus the color grading is different in the opening scene, the shot up Alto sign, the faded shoes.

And even more that I think about that episode, the more stuff I find that references breaking bad, the cigarettes that Jimmy smokes are what Jesse used in BB. I keep reading and thinking of cool stuff in that episode.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:06:47 AM by faizoff »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2017, 06:18:48 AM »
I think the opening scene is set in a pretty distant future (respective to the rest of the episode). The shoes are all worn down and coloured differently. I don't know whether the truck is the same as in Breaking Bad, since Gus used his Pollos trucks pretty much all the time.

the part that's set in the present, l really wonder if they'll explore more breaking bad territory post Walter White.

What part that's set in the present? So far we only got some random Cinnabon scenes with 'Gene'.

I'm guessing they'll want to do 3, maybe 4, more seasons and call it quits so I'm curious how it goes.

Really? That seems like much, but all the better for us I suppose :D
Squ

Offline faizoff

« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »

the part that's set in the present, l really wonder if they'll explore more breaking bad territory post Walter White.

What part that's set in the present? So far we only got some random Cinnabon scenes with 'Gene'.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering, if they'll ever decide to show more of Gene's life.

And come to think of it 3-4 more seasons might be stretching it. I can see 2 more being realistically done, I guess it depends on what more Vince and company feel they can offer to the Saul story.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
We'll probably see something of merit actually happen in the 'Gene' timline, otherwise I don't think they'd take the time to show it to us. It may not be something huge, since it's not the focus of the show, but something.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »

Vince Gilligan is the master of foreshadowing, especially in those cold openings.  Geez, I cannot even count how many BB episodes had a cold opening that foreshadowed something later that episode, that season, or even later in the series.

As for this week's episode, I thought it was fantastic.  I think Jimmy is finally ready to cut the emotional ties to Chuck loose and burn him down.  Chuck does want to go to court, hence him suggesting the deal to the PA, which Jimmy knows.  Jimmy will take it to court and will know exactly what to do to make Chuck look like a crazy person in front of a judge and jury.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:10 PM »
What an amazing few weeks it's been to be watching all this awesome TV. This episode of BCS could easily have been a Breaking Bad episode, the writers on this show are fantastic and know how to keep the tension going. They're tying the two shows so effortlessly without missing a beat on the main character.