Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112862 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #315 on: March 17, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
How do they explain Kayleigh barely getting older then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
She looked around 10 or 11 in BB.  I'll have to look again to see how old she looks in BCS.

Calvin6s

« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
I'm loving season 2.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »
The waitress in the diner was the same one from the BB episode where Mike met Lydia once.  I think her name was Fran.  It was when Lydia tried to act all non-suspicious by calling him Dwayne, and the waitress, already knowing Mike because he was obviously a regular, called him by his real name, making Lydia lower her head in shame. :lol :lol

And I remembered Jimmy's Staci's name as Amy, not Erin.  Kudos, Kev.

Episode 6:  the return of a couple of 'old friends'.  All of Mike/Hector/Nacho was superb.  For Jimmy, the round peg doesn't fit into the round hole, so he makes his own.  A light hearted ending for once. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Calvin6s

« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
Didn't love last night's episode.  It felt very filler.  The only part I was fully engaged was when Mike came home to find the two visitors.

Wasn't really digging Kim's path either. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: March 29, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
I thought last night's 'Inflatable' was the slowest of the season.

And yet.......we saw the split-screens of Jimmy and that car lot blowup (how did they get 'it' to move with the music?), Kim making a huuuge decision, and Mike having to contemplate doing more evil deeds for his nutty/demanding daughter-in-law.

Was her house the same as we saw in BB?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Calvin6s

« Reply #322 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
Kim's character is losing it a bit for me.  She has gone from being the voice of reason to making one rash decision after another.  She DID mess up.  And the idea that one act of stepping up should put her back in good standing is a bit entitled of her.  She should feel lucky to have the opportunity to *jump ship* with essentially a promotion and financial reward to boot.  She was hardly being held down by *the man*.

I loved the colorful suit / inflatable dancer section.  Not that I thought it was a good decision by Jimmy, but seeing Saul come out was fun.

The opening scene with the grifter was good and I think realistic.  That is the exact age area where events like that can make a lasting impression on your personality.

Mike was kind of an ass to Saul as well.

Still enjoyed the episode.  Perhaps it is a detriment knowing where Saul will end up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
The thing I am noticing about Kim is that she has almost no personality, except when she is faking it with a client or during one of her and Jimmy's scams.

The montage and the scene where Jimmy was fired were all great, but the rest all dragged for me again.  I like the show, but I cannot say I love it.

"For what it's worth, Cliff, I think you're a nice guy."

"For what it's worth, I think you're an asshole."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2016, 06:34:23 PM »
"For what it's worth, Cliff, I think you're a nice guy."

"For what it's worth, I think you're an asshole."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

YESSSS.  Probably the best part of the entire episode.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #325 on: March 30, 2016, 08:14:02 AM »
Perhaps it is a detriment knowing where Saul will end up.

This is a really good point, I always remind myself of this when I'm watching the show. It's still intriguing to think about what will happen to Kim, HHM, Chuck, etc. This season has been awesome so far  :tup

Calvin6s

« Reply #326 on: March 30, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Definitely interested in what happens to those around Saul.

Will Kim become successful in the traditional way and grow tired of Saul's antics?
Will she struggle and penniless and blame Saul realizing her prior path was pretty sweet and it was stupid to take this risk and never talk to him again.
Did she get hurt or lose her life as a result of Saul's schemes?
Will we find out she was down the hall of Saul Goodman the entire BB series?  Maybe Walter saw her first and she said "oh.  You're a scumbag.  I refer scumbags to my unofficial partner down the hall."  (I know this has problems, just having fun)

But Breaking Bad has led me to conclude certain things with strong confidence like the Mike deal with Tio based almost entirely off my BB knowledge.  And BB is already a blur to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #327 on: March 30, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Perhaps it is a detriment knowing where Saul will end up.

This is a really good point, I always remind myself of this when I'm watching the show. It's still intriguing to think about what will happen to Kim, HHM, Chuck, etc. This season has been awesome so far  :tup

I don't see anything dramatic happening with HHM.  They are a law firm that will carry on as is long after Jimmy becomes Saul.

Chuck is already pretty much out of Jimmy's life, especially now that the Sandpiper connection is severed because of Jimmy going on his own again, but I am sure we haven't heard the last of him.

Kim is too much a big part of Jimmy's life for her to just disappear from his life without plenty of drama, but I doubt it is too awful since Saul never struck me as a guy who had remorse for where he was or what he did, and I think genuine remorse would have been there had Kim taken a big fall or something.  Granted, BB was written first, and likely without the thought of BCS eventually being written as a prequel, but Vince Gilligan is too brilliant in his writing to not connect most or all of the dots somehow, someway.

Calvin6s

« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »
Saul never struck me as a guy who had remorse for where he was or what he did, and I think genuine remorse would have been there had Kim taken a big fall or something.

BB Saul seems infinitely more aware of how his actions affect others than BCS Jimmy.  Jimmy seems completely clueless.  But Saul sounds like he is speaking from experience when he lectures Walt.  It is the equivalent of handing down "I've been there" knowledge.  Perhaps Kim is that experience since it is the only thing he truly cares about.  She might have to hit rock bottom before he might actually come to the conclusion that "Wow.  I might have had a huge part in this."

Calvin6s

« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2016, 07:46:21 PM »
Guess (but fun) at this point.

The flashes of Saul post BB scenes.  Do you think the series will eventually make that the present scene?  Will he have some type of epiphany and make his way back to Kim?  BB ended in (relative) tragedy.  BCS doesn't have to end in tragedy.  Saul is more likeable, so his redemption (no matter how small) might be worth pursuing.  Or it could go to the present where he tries to get things in order to end in tragedy.  Possibly even him coming to Kim with "I've changed" only to end with her closing the door with a nice "fuck off".

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #330 on: March 31, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
I'm hoping that the prequel at some point becomes a sequel.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #331 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
I doubt they'd be showing flash forwards of Saul if they weren't going to show us something later on regarding his life post-Walter White.

Calvin6s

« Reply #332 on: March 31, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »
Just realized.  Those flash forwards (or flash presents) are pretty destructive and probably confusing to those that started with BCS but haven't watched BB (or all of it).  Great for those that watched BB, but bad for those that haven't.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
For the hell of it........does Kim become Wendy?

Yeah, I know, different actresses........

BTW.....the details of this show always frickin' amaze me.  I found out that the same actress that played the realtor for the house that Mike bought his DIL, was the same as the one that caught Marie stealing the spoons at a house she was showing on BB.

Their attention to detail just baffles me!

Calvin6s

« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
For the hell of it........does Kim become Wendy?
For reference, Wendy is the *crack* whore

Damn that is dark.  And also interesting.

Calvin6s

« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:34 PM »
Hate to say it, but Saul's moves tonight were pretty damned scummy.

I was fine with Kim taking the client even though it is borderline.  She expected too much for bringing in the one client.  So her Saul like move was a bit of her problem.  That said, HHM also took the risk of such a move by not giving even an inch, so it was right in that grey area.  Also thought HHM's counter move was perfectly acceptable and really well done.  People take lawsuits against a business for compromising their name (even when it is true).  So Chuck was smooth.

Saul's reaction was where it got bad.  And of course, that is the point, but it borderlines on losing all sympathy for him too soon.  The reaction to Chuck's problem seemed just way too cruel.  I have somebody in my family that both has serious medical issues and also has faked serious problems just to get attention.  And they fake so much that when they start faking those around him have to take a "you better not be faking" stance.  But despite all that crap, we still are worried and start making the call and getting the car ready for help.  It just seems like human nature to worry that no matter how many false alarms you've witnessed, you don't want to risk it.  Not saying Chuck was faking, but it puts in perspective the possible Saul reaction that Chuck was never in danger.  It really made me look at Saul as inhuman.

I wonder if anybody thought to tell Vince that Saul's copy store was too old school even for that time period.

Mike was a slow burn, so not much to say there.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »
The take-out joint at the start of the latest episode, is that the place Jesse was at when he bought a gun in Breaking Bad?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »
Yes, believe it was the same joint.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »
Last week, I said this:

The thing I am noticing about Kim is that she has almost no personality, except when she is faking it with a client or during one of her and Jimmy's scams.

And I kinda still think that, which is why Rhea Seehorn should get mad props; she is doing a fantastic job in portraying that character.  Because those of us who watched BB kind of know the direction Mike and Jimmy are both going in, Kim's ultimate fate is the most intriguing right now; I can't wait to see what happens to her.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »
Loved this episode! The scene with Chuck, Jimmy and Kim was brilliant. I felt so uncomfortable when Chuck revealed what Jimmy did yet it felt good when Kim defended Jimmy, so weird.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
I'll just leave this here

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch
Bali Ha'i
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

Coincidence?

Calvin6s

« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Great episode.  The ending really put Jimmy in the ultimate test of humanity.

Kind of sad that Kim defended Jimmy knowing he did it (as shown in the bed scene later).  Chuck isn't a saint, but people don't deserve what Jimmy did.  If anything, this is kind of the Chuck redemption season.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
I'll just leave this here

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch
Bali Ha'i
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

Coincidence?
Quite possibly, given that isn't the episode order. If it's intentional, that's a damn obscure clue. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
Great episode.  The ending really put Jimmy in the ultimate test of humanity.
Yeah seriously, really great stuff.

Kind of sad that Kim defended Jimmy knowing he did it (as shown in the bed scene later).  Chuck isn't a saint, but people don't deserve what Jimmy did.  If anything, this is kind of the Chuck redemption season.
Don't agree at all. I mean obviously what Jimmy did was wrong and illegal, but Chuck is still a dick and I have little sympathy for him.

I be am boner inducing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »
I mean obviously what Jimmy did was wrong and illegal, but Chuck is still a dick and I have little sympathy for him.

Chuck's biggest flaw is an inferiority-superiority complex (they tend to go hand-in-hand).  But his biggest problem with Jimmy is he doesn't think he's a real lawyer.  And Jimmy proved him right this season.  He's a salesman, not a lawyer.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
I mean obviously what Jimmy did was wrong and illegal, but Chuck is still a dick and I have little sympathy for him.

Chuck's biggest flaw is an inferiority-superiority complex (they tend to go hand-in-hand).  But his biggest problem with Jimmy is he doesn't think he's a real lawyer.  And Jimmy proved him right this season.  He's a salesman, not a lawyer.
But how much of that is Chuck's fault? If he hadn't deliberately tried to sabotage Jimmy's career, things would probably have gone very differently.

I be am boner inducing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
I believe that was addressed in the beginning of the season when Jimmy was somewhat handed the perfect scenario, and he managed to find a problem (the cupholder).

It is important to note that his "handler" came only after he did his commercial sleight of hand.

Jimmy seems to think that going on his own is the only way somebody can truly thrive, yet at the same time he keeps sticking his nose in Kim's business (yeah, I see it).

Chuck isn't the problem.  He's Jimmy's latest excuse.  Why do *I* scam people?  Because you are either scamming or being scammed as per his early life "teachable moment".  Although there is something to that, it assumes only two options.

Kim's arc illustrated Chuck's possible arc.  When they asked Chuck "is Jimmy read to be a lawyer?", Chuck thought ahead and wisely answered "no."  Kim answered yes, and now she can't believe that Jimmy can't connect how his actions were the root of the problem.  His intent doesn't matter as much as his results.

I know what it is like to *cover* for a relation/friend in the workplace (as most probably do to different degrees).  You don't go out to sabotage their career.  If they have a problem showing up on time or completing a project, if asked you might kind of sugar coat the problem.  You usually don't burst out "they're a fuck up" or "they're on drugs and will probably always will be stoned in a haze on the couch instead of showing up at the proper time." But if it happens again and again and again and you cover and cover and cover, at some point you are being taken less and less at your word.

Chuck isn't perfect, but I hardly blame him for Jimmy's life choices unless the show ends up showing us something radically different in the future.

And it is cool that the show is presenting stuff that doesn't have an obvious "that is bad. that is good." character/plot development.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »
The fact remains that pretty much everything Chuck has said about Jimmy is right.

That said, Kim defending Jimmy to Chuck was awesome. 

I really hope Chuck isn't dead; his character adds so much to the show.

Overall, terrific episode.

Calvin6s

« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
Now the ending of the show is pretty tough.  I can get that Jimmy is hoping the others do the right thing and call 911.  But if they don't and it leaves Chuck dead or just permanently damaged, then Jimmy has gone too far.  He's almost irredeemable.

His actions prior created a situation where calling 911 has other consequences.  What is sad is he won't even realize this (according to past a ha moments gone over his head), but will instead blame others.

It is all interesting because of his final scene with Walt where he seems to have a new attitude.  Either a) he hit a serious bottom and had an epiphany or b) can only see faults in others, but not himself.

Calvin6s

« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »
That said, Kim defending Jimmy to Chuck was awesome. 

It is interesting.  Although not the same, I had a similar dilemma a few years ago. 
Party A - the wronged (Chuck)
Party B - possibly tied up in the wrong, but not the direct cause - I cared about Party B. (Office store employee)
Party C - the wrongdoer.  Not only do I not care about them, I despise them. (Jimmy)
Party D - Another person pitted against Party A via Party B (Kim)
Me - The other Kim, different reaction.

Party A shows up to discuss what Party C did and brought up the Party B connection.  I felt empathy for Party A, but didn't want to just take down Party C unless Party B could be taken out of the equation.  For the most part, I remained neutral and as quiet as the discussion would allow.

Party D pulled the Kim and instead started to attack Party A with the "really, this is your own fault."  The entire time D and A started yelling at each other all I could do is think quietly on the side was "shut up D.  This is literally two wrongs trying to make a right."  It was not a fun experience and I didn't think "you go girl" with Party D's actions.  Now if Party D truly was deceived, that's a different story.  But they made it clear Kim was never confused as to whether Party Jimmy was guilty or not.

It would have been better if she stuck to "Well.  There is no definitive proof here, so I'm withholding judgment of either party for the time being."

Bad TV though, because this is all a part of Kim's journey as well.  She definitely stopped being the moral yet understanding anchor a few episodes ago.  Right now, she's young Jimmy in his dad's liquor store with Jimmy being the scammer seducing her.  She didn't just "break bad" immediately like impressionable young Jimmy, but she's started down that path.