Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112991 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
I think it was so over hyped that I was let down overall.

this is what I think would happen in my case. my brother has hyped this show so much that I don't see how it can live up to how highly regarded he has it. That's why' I've yet to make the plunge. If I can get away with watching BCS without really needing to see BB other than missing some Easter Eggs....I'll probably never watch BB.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
I think you should see it. It's not one of my all time favorites either, and it is over hyped, but I still think it's a show you should see if you're into TV series in general. It's not always super good, but when it is, it's sooo good.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
I think you should see it. It's not one of my all time favorites either, and it is over hyped, but I still think it's a show you should see if you're into TV series in general. It's not always super good, but when it is, it's sooo good.
Yeah, there is the occasional moment that is absolutely superb. I'd agree with you - not mindblowing but definitely worth watching.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm one of the people that think it's one of the greatest television shows ever created and always will be. But I'll also say that hype, ever single time, is a load of bullshit. Fuck hype. Watch it and if you like it, keep watching and you'll more than likely only end up loving it; if you're not so much into it, give it a chance and maybe it'll turn (this is how it was for me); and if you hate it then you hate it and the world will keep on spinning.

Hype has never done anything good for anything. Never. Not in my case at least. It's always been nothing but a fucking deluge of cumshots by rabid, deluded, blinded-by-excitement fans and ended up making me think something was going to be way better than it actually (or that I thought) it was. If you go into it with a level head, chances are you'll see it more clearly. Which in the end means only good things considering if you were going to dislike/hate it anyway, it'll just be less intense and if you were going to like it, you'll probably end up liking it more than if you thought you'd gain eternal life and a ten inch dick and a side of a hit of ecstasy from watching it (or playing it or listening to it or whatever insanely stupid hype is built up for whatever).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »
Anyone else notice the tequila bottle was the same one Gus gave to Don Eladio in Breaking Bad's Salud episode?

Also, the Ken guy was clearly meant to be the KENWINS guy from the 4th episode of BB Season 1 (although I think it was a different actor).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
Yup, I posted about both earlier on; Ken is the same actor. Cool stuff indeed.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
Feels good to have the show back! Exciting months ahead, TWD, BCS and soon also Vikings followed by Fear of the walk... and of course GoT!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2016, 06:28:23 AM »
Loved the new episode. This show has exceeded all of my expectations and to be honest I enjoy it more than Breaking Bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »
Yup, I posted about both earlier on; Ken is the same actor. Cool stuff indeed.

My bad.

But yeah, definitely cool stuff. :coolio

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
S2, E2.....started slow, but so worth it.

Gawd, how we do love Mike.

And 'Boston creampie', along with the later comments of 'shedding real tears'  :lol

From the start to the little twist at the end, a damn well crafted and written episode.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Calvin6s

« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2016, 01:51:04 AM »
Loved tonight's episode.

Now time for X-Files.  Better Call Saul I couldn't watch fast enough.  X-Files, I'm almost dreading.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2016, 01:59:45 AM »
How fucking annoying is hummer guy.  jesus.

Calvin6s

« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2016, 02:00:50 AM »
berry

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
"Are you still morally flexible?".

Brilliant line. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »

Well, that is pretty much the point.  He is comically annoying.

The look on Mike's face when he talked about wanting to get his baseball cards back was priceless. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
Hoboken squat cobbler ftw.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
I thought the episode was great.

Maybe it's because I'm not a lawyer, but why is it so much worse to fabricate evidence than to just flat out make a story up and lie to the police, protecting a drug dealer?

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:37 PM »
I think because the evidence could someday be used in court.

...my name is Araragi.

Calvin6s

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2016, 10:52:25 PM »
Because he can say he didn't lie, but just repeated what the client told him.

But fabricating evidence has a bit more fingerprints.

Calvin6s

« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2016, 10:54:39 PM »
Also hot Kim said to never tell her that type of story again, for at least two reasons.  So she doesn't have to testify against (or knowingly lie) for him.  And because she values her job and would be pretty pissed if his recklessness took her down with him.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »
Something pointed out to me:  note that Kim never said 'don't do it again', but 'don't tell me if you do'.

And how Jimmy's face just went blank after that line, much like when he knew his brother was at the firm.  Also found out that the 'douchebag' in Episode 1 was the same one that Walter White met at the gas station.....

This episode was the first on of BB and BCS that my wife and I watched 'live'.  We were late to the game on both series.  It is nice to have time to reflect as well as anticipate.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

Well, that is pretty much the point.  He is comically annoying.

The look on Mike's face when he talked about wanting to get his baseball cards back was priceless. :lol :lol :lol :lol

His and Mike's exchanges have been the highlights of the last two episodes for me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Hummer guys is a bit over the top.

Never really thought about it until now, but a successful formula for the obligatory dumb people for TV/movie is probably:

- small role:  annoyingly dumb (cellphone stockbroker guy)
- recurring and somewhat important role: loveable idiot

I still like Hummer guy when watching, but when I reflect on his role I'm not as sold.

"Are you still morally flexible?".

Brilliant line. :lol

And the correct response is "I'm an attorney.  Of course I am."  If you are a criminal defense attorney, it is more or less part of the job description.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
We are now watching the old and the new episode each night.  Didn't realize the dialogue we missed last week during the 'cobbler' scene because we were laughing too loudly.

Tonight, just another brilliant episode. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #269 on: February 29, 2016, 11:48:48 PM »
Loved it tonight as well.  It is very interesting that they are more or less using the Breaking Bad model.  The choices made to get from point A to point Z.  And doing it on Mike and Saul concurrently is very entertaining.  What I find interesting is that both do not have the wife/kid family relationship going on.  But Saul has Kim (and his brother) and Mike has the daughter-in-law (and granddaughter).

Kim is obviously his moral compass.  So much so that it isn't even about her getting to him to do the right thing, but just weighing heavily on every decision he makes.  First season, he tried to impress his brother (and her to a lesser degree).  Now it is all about her.  It is also interesting that Kim might be viewing his brother with more understanding as time goes on.  It is a bad character flaw of Saul that he frequently has to be reminded that his decisions don't just affect him.

So far, this season, the good feelings for Saul that he is just doing what needs to be done because others are dismissing his value is being stripped away.  He's becoming less empathetic.

And that is very Breaking Bad.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2016, 05:06:48 AM »
Yea the way this show progress is just brilliant.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »
Chuck better not piss off Saul too much or he may get a heavy dose of electrical vibes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:35:44 AM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2016, 07:23:05 AM »
Another strong episode this week. It is going to suck when Jimmy and Kim goes to hell, I felt awful when Jimmy comes back from getting reamed out on the phone like nothing happened and asked Kim if anything had blown up yet.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
Another strong episode this week. It is going to suck when Jimmy and Kim goes to hell, I felt awful when Jimmy comes back from getting reamed out on the phone like nothing happened and asked Kim if anything had blown up yet.

Yeah....that's the type of clever, subtle writing that I enjoy about the show. It's starting to unwind a bit for ol' Jimmy. Had Kim not said anything to him about the boss liking it and placed that seed of doubt, I bet he'd have shown him the tape prior to running it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »
Yeah....that's the type of clever, subtle writing that I enjoy about the show. It's starting to unwind a bit for ol' Jimmy. Had Kim not said anything to him about the boss liking it and placed that seed of doubt, I bet he'd have shown him the tape prior to running it.

The way I read it was that Jimmy didn't show it to his bosses because of the conversation with his assistant about how many meetings there were just about the swirl in the background of their last commercial. He knew he needed to get the commercial out there to keep his client outreach numbers looking good if he was going to stop soliciting.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »

The way I read it was that Jimmy didn't show it to his bosses because of the conversation with his assistant about how many meetings there were just about the swirl in the background of their last commercial. He knew he needed to get the commercial out there to keep his client outreach numbers looking good if he was going to stop soliciting.

Yeah....that too for sure. Once he has these compounding factors weighing on his mind....and the fact that he 'knows' his commercial will work but probably knew that style of commercial wouldn't be approved....he just went for it. Bummer thing is that I don't think Burns and McDonnel (isn't that who he works for) is going to care that they acquired 100+ new clients....I think that 'style' of commercial will be looked down upon as 'two bit' and bad for that 'reputable' firm.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2016, 01:39:27 PM »
Sadly, I feel this show slipping away from me.  I think I saw the first two and haven't really been excited about it.  Hopefully I can catch up on it sometime soon but I'm not as pumped for it as I have been in the past.

Calvin6s

« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »
Sadly, I feel this show slipping away from me.  I think I saw the first two and haven't really been excited about it.  Hopefully I can catch up on it sometime soon but I'm not as pumped for it as I have been in the past.

Can't keep straight what people watched, but did you watch Breaking Bad and if so, how?

The character development of these shows can lead to what feels like slow pacing.  Spread it out over a few months for a season, and it might feel even slower.  Perhaps try watching the 2nd season in a more binge like format once the season is complete?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »

Can't keep straight what people watched, but did you watch Breaking Bad and if so, how?

The character development of these shows can lead to what feels like slow pacing.  Spread it out over a few months for a season, and it might feel even slower.  Perhaps try watching the 2nd season in a more binge like format once the season is complete?

I think that's probably the right way to go about it.  I binged all of Breaking Bad and loved it.  I don't have a lot of patience for the slow-burning character dev. stuff.  I fast fowarded through a lot of Skyler's boring shit in the middle of BB, season 2 or 3?

Calvin6s

« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:01 AM »
Loved the latest episode.