Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112899 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »
I felt the cinematography was a bit below par with this episode, even bordering on cheesy at times.  Much different to how its been.  I think overall it was a pretty disappointing end to an absolutely stellar season, very much looking forward to season 2.
I could kinda understand as it was a slower episode, but I think the only thing that's really struck me as cheesy this season was the scene where Chuck is running around outside. Not the great space blanket long shots, but the shaky cam closeups, typical body rig stuff to give a manic sense of hysteria. Other than that though, I've been loving it! A nice 40's kinda feel to the whole thing. I actually really enjoyed that montage.

Y'know, I didn't mind that body rig scene too much tbh.  This season is 90% certified fresh in terms of cinematography in my opinion. I thought a couple of really minor shots on this last episode were a bit borderline for my taste.  And I didn't like the 'hustle montage', though I feel like it was done as a bit of a piss take.

Calvin6s

« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:40 PM »
And I didn't like the 'hustle montage', though I feel like it was done as a bit of a piss take.

You can't have a montage scene without the "Take it to the Limit" or "The Best Around" song playing.  Rookie mistake.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »
'Yew need a montaaaage! Even Rocky had a montaage!'

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
I thought that was a little lack-luster of a finale. I was hoping for some serious shit to go down. I still really liked this season and can't wait for #2.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2015, 05:54:42 AM »
So how does everyone think this show will end? Let's assume it's a success and can go a few season. Will it eventually get to the point where BCS is taking place during the same time period of BB? Will it end with Saul meeting Walter White for the first time?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »
I don't think him meeting Walter will really be a big enough point to end the show on. Honestly, I have no clue when or how it will end, and I'm quite alright with that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Calvin6s

« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
Will it eventually get to the point where BCS is taking place during the same time period of BB?
I hope so.  I love that type of stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
So how does everyone think this show will end? Let's assume it's a success and can go a few season. Will it eventually get to the point where BCS is taking place during the same time period of BB? Will it end with Saul meeting Walter White for the first time?

??? We've already seen that.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
It'd be good to end it with Saul moving into the building he's in on BB

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
How long in the current world of Better Call Saul will it be until he'd meet Walt? Are we talking 5?6..7 years or is right around the corner?

For those of you who've watched BB....and seen the pace of this show.....what's the "best guess" as to how many seasons they can get out of it? And, could they pull off the show if it caught up to BB time without showing any Walt? Was Saul a huge part of BB?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
I think like five years.

Saul first appeared in Breaking Bad in I think the 8th episode of Season 2, but the first two seasons of BB only covered like two months in the storyline (and the show itself covered two years, even though it went from 2008-2013), so yeah, about five years.  They can cover a shit ton of ground before getting to when Saul first met Walt and Jesse.

Personally, whenever Better Call Saul does end, I think it will cover his post-BB arc (which for non-BB viewers, you saw a glimpse of in the pilot's cold opening).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2015, 06:13:36 AM »
I did remember reading way back when that Better Call Saul was going to hop around in the time line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Season 2 begins next Monday!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
Woot wooooot! I just watched the first season on flix of the net and I am so ready.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »
Can't wait!  I was really surprised by the first season by how much I loved it. This should be a fun season as well I'm hoping.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:15 AM »
Can't wait!  I was really surprised by the first season by how much I loved it. This should be a fun season as well I'm hoping.

Me too. I think a lot of people were surprised with how great the show actually turned out. I think most people expected an AMC cash grab and the milking of a character. I don't think that's the case here. I think without Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul would have held up just fine on its own.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »

Me too. I think a lot of people were surprised with how great the show actually turned out. I think most people expected an AMC cash grab and the milking of a character. I don't think that's the case here. I think without Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul would have held up just fine on its own.

I'm a huge fan and I've never watched one episode of Breaking Bad. This show is great as a stand alone. I'm sure knowing the 'easter eggs' makes it more enjoyable....but I loved the first season without having any frame of reference other than what they showed.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »

I'm a huge fan and I've never watched one episode of Breaking Bad. This show is great as a stand alone. I'm sure knowing the 'easter eggs' makes it more enjoyable....but I loved the first season without having any frame of reference other than what they showed.

My son and son in law tried watching Breaking Bad, but could not get into the show.  Besides the characters in BCS and BB appearing in both shows, the dented trash can in BCS was in BB, but was a towel dispenser.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
I honestly don't understand how someone can't get into Breaking Bad. Whether you cook/use meth or not, the show is outstanding.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
While I agree, Breaking Bad is fantastic, it requires a lot of patience at times.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »
I honestly don't understand how someone can't get into Breaking Bad. Whether you cook/use meth or not, the show is outstanding.

Now that I have Netflix I fully intend to Binge Watch the series. I'm just trying to allow myself the proper time to do it because I know that once I start watching I won't stop until I'm done.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
While I agree, Breaking Bad is fantastic, it requires a lot of patience at times.

My brother told me that once I made it past the first four or five episodes of season 1 that it really starts to hit it's stride then. Is that a fair comment from him?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
I can tell you that there was a very humorous scene on the second episode that made me go "Yeah, ok, I'm gonna watch this entire series".

But yeah, the best comes in the latest episode in series 1, and it's the weakest of them all. It starts good and it gets even better, or "worse" according to the title of the show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »

My brother told me that once I made it past the first four or five episodes of season 1 that it really starts to hit it's stride then. Is that a fair comment from him?

Yeah. Season 1 is good, but there's a lot of setting up that it needs to take care of. Season 2 starts at full throttle, and it basically doesn't stop until the final episode of the series. Granted, there are episodes that are more intensive, sadder, darker, etc.. than others, but I never once watched an episode and thought "well that just just a filler" like I seem to do 5 or 6 times a season with TWD. I hate saying it because so many people do, but BB was easily one of the best shows I've every watched. Usually when I watch a series for a second time, it's years after the first run. With Breaking Bad, I watched it again as soon as I finished.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »

I suppose. I think by then you've decided if you want to continue. But it is slowly paced sometimes all the way through. It's really good, but slowly paced.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »
It's definitely a slow burner at times. I really love the series and while it's certainly not perfect, it's probably one of the only shows I've seen that I'd want to call it perfect. It absolutely benefits from binging though and really cuts down on the slow pacing of things.

I'll also say that while it's nothing major and it's all about how much you give a shit about it and what you take from it, but there are a lot of homages and nods to the series in Saul; some overt, some hidden away, but they're all really cool. After binging BCS and watching it a second time I noticed a handful of things that I hadn't noticed at first and it's just so damn satisfying to catch that stuff and puts a real special flavor to the show. There aren't many shows (actually for the ones I've watched, none) that have this much detail between the two of them and still connect them pretty much to as perfect a T as you can get.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
No one talking about this?

I thought the episode was great. Awesomely written dialogue and fantastic acting. I am very interested to see the rest of the season.

Calvin6s

« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
The kick off episode was good.  Made me realize I probably should have at least rewatched Season 1 or at least read a brief summary because when it started I had to think "now where exactly were we last."

Felt like one of those *slow burn* episodes Uncle brought up.  Lot's of good small things happened, but we basically ended the episode where we began.  The episode was a brief detour toward the inevitable.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »

I dunno, it picks up and is a strong show, but I definitely don't find it as mindblowing as a lot of people seem to. Personally, I think BCS is quite a bit stronger so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2016, 01:09:28 AM »
Fucking love this show SO MUCH. Fantastic episode. Annnd the amazingly satisfying BB homages and nods just keep getting better. My jaw was agape when we saw "KENWINS". Then...THE TEQUILA. WHAAAAAT. That was so fucking awesome. Necessary? Not at all and you won't be missing storyline shit if you didn't see BB but that isn't to say you're not missing out because you are. A lot, in my opinion. It is SO. SATISFYING. I love that shit and I have a feeling they'll keep piling up.

Otherwise, awesome episode and I cannot wait to dive into this festival of debauchery and treachery.

Also +100 for the music.

RIP DTP.

Calvin6s

« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2016, 02:33:31 AM »
The Breaking Bad references are nice, but I also like the inner-episode comparisons. 

Saul gets put in a situation with an easy way out, but setting off the mall alarm could bring the police.  He plays it out in his head and considers the police could catch on to his false identity.  Meanwhile, Daniel the pharmacist calls the cops, bringing them to the scene is what is essentially a turf war in which he's directly involved.  Clearly, he's alerted the cops to his strange activities.  Daniel is also a precursor to Walter White.

No single moment is a mindblower, but all the little details add up to well written episodes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2016, 03:18:56 AM »
Slow burn fo sho.  Glad to see it back tho.  And glad to see Saul finally get some sweet sweet lawyer bonerlage.

Hummer guy is such a douchenugget. 

Missed the BB references tho...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:28 AM »
Pretty sure the white cop who came to check out Daniel's place is the same one from the episode where Skyler calls the cops when Walter moves back in.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2016, 07:15:16 AM »
I'll be watching the new Saul tonight, but in regards to Breaking Bad. I found it to be a good show but not a great show. I watched it a year or so and I think it was so over hyped that I was let down overall. Worth watching, but not the greatest of all time.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »
Pretty sure the white cop who came to check out Daniel's place is the same one from the episode where Skyler calls the cops when Walter moves back in.

Duuuude nice catch! That's awesome.

RIP DTP.