Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112885 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »
Betsy Kettleman is bat shit insane, but kinda hot, too.

I'd even consider the character even somewhat effective.  She is a 1 to 2 step planner, and she's not bad at arranging those plans.  But she fails to connect steps 8 and 9 to steps 1 and 2 when it matters.  She's playing checkers to Saul's chess (overused, but fits)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2015, 07:45:37 AM »
In terms of first episodes, I think BCS is doing a better job. But I do not believe that it will reach the same hights that BB did.

I wouldn't put money on that yet.  Saul Goodman is a more likeable character than Walter White.

Walter was kind of a dick with a superiority complex that tried to justify his bad behavior as necessary for his family.

Saul is a guy that is in a dick profession (lawyer) that tried to go on the straight and narrow by building up his practice (not even making it paycheck to paycheck).  The only person he is truly vindictive toward is Howard Hamlin.  And the backstory seems to be that Hamlin screwed over Saul's brother big time.  But he has definitely shown a ton more empathy that Walter White ever did.
I basically agree with this.

And I think that's part of why I'm really loving this show so far, more so than Breaking Bad. Both shows are fairly slow-moving, that's all part of the style (BB literally only kicked up the pace in the second half of season 5), but BB was all centred around Walt who was basically a bit of a dick. He was a fairly interesting character, and I do like the show, but I found it hard to care much about him and actually found myself caring more about a number of the more peripheral characters.

Whereas two of my favourite characters in BB were Mike and Saul, so a prequel show centering primarily on those two (at least so far) is much more up my alley and already I'm finding it really engaging. If the quality keeps up then I expect to end up liking it quite a lot more than BB.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2015, 07:52:03 AM »
I'm glad that Mike is getting so much focus on the show. I thought he'd have a few things to do here and there but mostly be used as a bridge from the BB universe. I'm thrilled that he has a main role.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
Yeah, he's a really good character.

I think it also works well because we didn't really get to see that much of his character/personality/background in BB. Expanding him into a main character now makes sense, and I think we've already seen more variety and depth from him than in the whole of BB.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
Just caught up, great episode.  Some really awesome cinematography in it as well, which is always neece.  I'm not sure I'm as sucked in as was after 7 episodes of BB, but I'm still into it in a rather large way.

Calvin6s

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
If the quality keeps up then I expect to end up liking it quite a lot more than BB.

I definitely think BCSaul has a good chance of surpassing BBad, and I absolutely loved BB.

One thing is for sure.  I'm 100% sold on BCSaul being on its way to an all time classic show for me.  They'd have to have something pretty ridiculous happen for me to abandon it at this point.  Like most people, it gets recorded on my DVR.  Most TV shows (and even movies) don't get immediate viewing from me.  In fact, sometimes I let it build up 10 episodes and then binge watch those.  But not BCSaul.  As soon as I see that BCSaul icon in my recordings list, I press play.  If I'm in the middle of doing something that can wait, it waits.  Can't even think of another current show I have that gets that kind of fanaticism out of me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
Some really awesome cinematography in it as well, which is always neece.
Good point. I think the cinematography so far has been at least on a par with the last two or three seasons of BB, which was a big step up from the first couple of seasons which were mostly a lot more straightforward.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
Coming from a guy who hasn't watched BB (yet) this series easily stands on it's own. I understand that there are characters and 'easter eggs' in BCS.....but as a stand alone series this is more than standing on it's own. It's very well written....as has been mentioned the cinematography has been great.....characters are strong....it's just a good series. I'm digging it for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Calvin6s

« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
Coming from a guy who hasn't watched BB (yet) this series easily stands on it's own.
Actually, I think it would be even better not having seen BB yet.  That is the biggest problem with a show going in the past.  Certain people you know 100% will not die.  And that was part of the BB thrill.  Is this guy (or chick) finally gonna get their come uppance?

Calvin6s

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:40 AM »
Another good episode.

I really liked the attorney sit down session.  Really showed the difference between the "standard" attorney and Saul.  Attorneys really do have a "hey, what you been up to?" talk that goes on between "enemy" attorneys.  Sometimes it is just separating work and personal, sometimes it is a veneer to catch others off guard.  Saul on the other hand definitely has a problem with being the "snarky" attorney.  It could be part of the reason real success is eluding him.  That and the "not a real college" thing brought out in this episode.

There is, however, lots of passive aggressive talk that happens.  "Oh were you not aware of that?" type of talk. 

Or an exchange like:
"Did you not catch that?  Should we have the deposition / meeting notes read back to you?"
"No.  I think we all understand what was said."
"Well, I think there's some doubt here, so let's just have it re-entered."

A way to jab and put an exclamation on a point they want repeated for effect, disguised as being helpful that everybody in the room knows is anything but.

But Saul is more straight forward snarky.  Which stems from his inferiority complex spelled out in greater detail this episode.

Great stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 04:16:46 AM »
Yeah, cool episode.  Great to see Chuck laying the smack down on those jabroni lawyers.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
Good episode. While I didn't care at all about the whole 'elder law' thing in the first place, I'm glad it led to something bigger and that it wasn't just a pit stop in Jimmy's career. And to see him do some proper lawyering was fun, I hope there's more of that. Also, I'd love to see him in court some more. Maybe next week.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
Good episode. While I didn't care at all about the whole 'elder law' thing in the first place, I'm glad it led to something bigger and that it wasn't just a pit stop in Jimmy's career. And to see him do some proper lawyering was fun, I hope there's more of that. Also, I'd love to see him in court some more. Maybe next week.
Yep, agreed with all that, quality episode.

Somethings feels a little foreboding about it, as though something is going to go pretty hugely wrong. Maybe not, but something about it feels like it's not going as well as it seems.

Anyone else getting that feeling?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »
Absolutely.

Chuck's firm will not be happy with him working with Jimmy on an outside case.

And I am curious where they go with Kim, since she is kind of caught in the middle.  Howard will not be pleased when he finds out she was helping them.

But yeah, killer episode last night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »
Absolutely.

Chuck's firm will not be happy with him working with Jimmy on an outside case.

And I am curious where they go with Kim, since she is kind of caught in the middle.  Howard will not be pleased when he finds out she was helping them.

This. Whatever settlement or the entire case is essentially going to get taken away from Jimmy.....he will miss some huge payday....like the $20mil Chuck said. Bummer for him....

Calvin6s

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
My bet is they win the case for a sum near that $20mil.  And even though Chuck will be helpful, it will boil down to the legwork that Saul put in.  And also finding a not so obvious angle to win (like the lawyers credited Chuck with during the sit down).

Then Hamlin will sweep in and threaten that Chuck was faking the whole time to go out on his own, threatening not just his job and the little (for an attorney of his stature) they are paying, but pension .. etc. etc., putting him in a "watched my whole life's work go up in smoke" moment.

So Saul will agree to letting Hamlin not just take their share of the attorney fees, but the fame as well.  Just another notch in their belt, but it could have made Saul.  They might even add insult to injury and *allow* Saul to be part of some big winning team picture or news story, only to be just outside of frame.

It won't just be the money they lose.  It will be a full on ego rape.

At least that's my guess.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2015, 06:19:42 AM »
What a fantastic episode. I can't get over how good this who actually is. It gets better every week. I can't really say much that hasn't already been said. I almost puked during the dumpster scene.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
My bet is they win the case for a sum near that $20mil.  And even though Chuck will be helpful, it will boil down to the legwork that Saul put in.  And also finding a not so obvious angle to win (like the lawyers credited Chuck with during the sit down).

Then Hamlin will sweep in and threaten that Chuck was faking the whole time to go out on his own, threatening not just his job and the little (for an attorney of his stature) they are paying, but pension .. etc. etc., putting him in a "watched my whole life's work go up in smoke" moment.

So Saul will agree to letting Hamlin not just take their share of the attorney fees, but the fame as well.  Just another notch in their belt, but it could have made Saul.  They might even add insult to injury and *allow* Saul to be part of some big winning team picture or news story, only to be just outside of frame.

It won't just be the money they lose.  It will be a full on ego rape.

At least that's my guess.

^^^^^^^What he said 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
I almost puked during the dumpster scene.
Yeah, they did a genuinely great job of making that really quite immersive and visceral. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Calvin6s

« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »
Not just any dumpster scene.  A senior citizen's dumpster.  Some nice depends diapers in there.

Honestly, TV has gotten so loose with showing feces/vomit that it has ruined my "let's watch some TV while I eat my dinner" time.  So when I see a scene like the dumpster scene, I more or less turn my head and just listen to what is happening until it sounds like the next scene has begun.  If you guys are talking about puking, sounds like I made the right choice there.   :laugh:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
Anyone else catch the Kettleman's mail box?

That's awesome.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
I'm catching up on the show today and the episode about Mike's past, what drove him to NM, that was just as great as anything done in BB!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Calvin6s

« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Tonight's episode.  So effing awesome.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2015, 09:45:46 PM »
Tonight's episode.  So effing awesome.

Yep. Mike was cool....and man, I was hoping all along that it wasn't Chuck but alas....Chuck screwed his own brother due to his massive ego. Really good episode.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »
I actually get Chuck's POV.  If someone on the forum got a Ph.D. from a diploma mill school that wasn't accredited, I wouldn't view them as my peer based on merit.  At this point, it seems like Jimmy is willing to grind out honest work and prove that he can do quality work, but Chuck either is willing to see or accept that Jimmy is making an honest go of it because he still see the conniving schemer he used to be, which is probably going to be the driving force into his transformation to Saul.

Calvin6s

« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »
Yep. Mike was cool....and man, I was hoping all along that it wasn't Chuck but alas....Chuck screwed his own brother due to his massive ego. Really good episode.

Every character was just so good tonight.  And the Hamlin character suddenly had a whole new dimension.

BTW, when Hamlin asked Kim to close the door and then the scene ended, my guess was the conversation was about her using HHM property to help the McGills with the initial legwork (from an episode or two ago) and he was threatening her job (again) and then possibly coming up with something like "we could sue the McGills for this resource theft."

And I just love the Nacho character so much as well.  The dude has the *speaking with facial expressions only* down to a science.  I'd say it has already surpassed Breaking Bad for me, but I don't want to jump the gun based off just 9 episodes.  Longevity is just as important.

Calvin6s

« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »
I actually get Chuck's POV.  If someone on the forum got a Ph.D. from a diploma mill school that wasn't accredited, I wouldn't view them as my peer based on merit.  At this point, it seems like Jimmy is willing to grind out honest work and prove that he can do quality work, but Chuck either is willing to see or accept that Jimmy is making an honest go of it because he still see the conniving schemer he used to be, which is probably going to be the driving force into his transformation to Saul.

I don't think his scheming is what will *drive* him to becoming Saul.  The disrespect (which means people will never base their opinion off his merit, but their bias) is what will drive him to Saul.  He won't fall back into Slippin' Jimmy because he falls back into bad habits.  Slippin' Jimmy will be his saving grace.  He has the education.  He has the work ethic.  He has the ability to read people extremely well (something that really is more of a personality trait than a book-learned one).

I *get* Chuck's POV.  And I disagree with it strongly.  Chuck is dead to me.  As Louis C.K. would say, he can suck a bag of dicks.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 03:55:42 AM »
Haven't finished watching the ep yet, just paused it to jump on here and say I let out a gasp when I saw Chuck and Jimmy sitting outside.  <3

EDIT:  Just finished.  Oh whoopdeedoo Chuck was outside.  Fuck him.

:lol

What a fantastic episode.  Jimmy spat some fucking venom, that was awesome.  I agree with Calvin, like I understand where Chuck is coming from but the whole 'people don't change' thing really got my goad.  I think he's bang out of order and I hope his kerosene stocks catch a spark.  What a cunt. 

Mike is a boss.  Was that psuedo they were delivering to Nacho?  I couldn't quite catch what he said it was. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:45:11 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »
BTW, when Hamlin asked Kim to close the door and then the scene ended, my guess was the conversation was about her using HHM property to help the McGills with the initial legwork (from an episode or two ago) and he was threatening her job (again) and then possibly coming up with something like "we could sue the McGills for this resource theft."

I thought maybe since she said that Jimmy was her friend that Hammlin broke down and told her that Chuck was the one who told him not to hire Jimmy.....she takes that info and then knows that Jimmy will never get anywhere with Chuck backstabbing him and tries to convince Jimmy to take the deal/$$.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
It was always gonna be Chuck that betrayed him! Chuck is defined by "Jimmy's the screw up and I'm not" he could not possibly ever see him as an equal.

Great episode!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
The last couple episodes have been really good. It'll be interesting to see how the first season wraps up.

I loved (in fact, it's probably my favorite of the whole season) the Mike scene in the parking garage  :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
Yeah awesome episode. The last scene between Jimmy and Chuck was both brilliantly written an brilliantly acted. Really painful to watch.

Mike was really cool as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
I loved (in fact, it's probably my favorite of the whole season) the Mike scene in the parking garage  :lol

yeah that was a great scene. you could feel it coming.....loved how he was just picking through the guys pockets and what not as he lay there choking  :lol And the fact the big dude took off running was a great exclamation point.

Yeah awesome episode. The last scene between Jimmy and Chuck was both brilliantly written an brilliantly acted. Really painful to watch.

You could get the sense even in the flashback that Chuck was not thrilled with the fact Jimmy became a Lawyer....and the manner in which he did it. Once he burst into the confession it was like years of pent up emotion unleashed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

I thought maybe since she said that Jimmy was her friend that Hammlin broke down and told her that Chuck was the one who told him not to hire Jimmy.....she takes that info and then knows that Jimmy will never get anywhere with Chuck backstabbing him and tries to convince Jimmy to take the deal/$$.
Yeah I think it was along these lines as well.

I understand where Chuck is coming from
I do not at all. He was an absolute douchebag, and considering the huge amount of time and energy that Jimmy has invested in trying to help and look after his brother, Chuck has ultimately treated him like crap. The episode was awesome, and made me feel really sorry for Jimmy.

I really like the fact that this show is really going into a lot of depth about aspects of Jimmy and Mike that made them so likeable in BB.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
"You can make it not easy." :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Mike is just so awesome. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The Chuck/Jimmy thing we all sort of saw coming, but that was still brutal.  Definitely fantastic acting.

This show is so good.